United Way kicks off school supply drive

United Way kicks off school supply drive

There are 36 comments on the Carlsbad Current-Argus story from Jun 27, 2011, titled United Way kicks off school supply drive. In it, Carlsbad Current-Argus reports that:

Although it seems summer break has just begun, there's a group in Carlsbad that is working hard to be ready for back to school.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Carlsbad Current-Argus.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Think before you write!”

Since: Nov 08

Carlsbad, NM

#1 Jun 28, 2011
It's sad to me that the public school system has gotten to a point where a public-service group feels it is necessary to collect funding for basic supplies. If money is so short that the school can't afford these supplies for the students (a fundamental component of the schooling process I would posit), then cuts should be made in non-scholastic areas to accommodate.
Educator

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Jun 28, 2011
squidlyman wrote:
It's sad to me that the public school system has gotten to a point where a public-service group feels it is necessary to collect funding for basic supplies. If money is so short that the school can't afford these supplies for the students (a fundamental component of the schooling process I would posit), then cuts should be made in non-scholastic areas to accommodate.
The United Way school supply drive is NOT for the benefit of the public school system. It is for the CHILDREN of low income families who cannot afford the basic school supplies for their children. Although some supplies are provided for students through the public school system, the basic supplies are not and when families of low socioeconomic status cannot provide either often time classroom teachers are doing so out of their own pockets. So, let the United Way provide the drive for these students that are in need, and then YOU try to imagine what it must be like to be a child that cannot even afford to bring crayons and pencils to school. From a teachers perspective, it is very humiliating for a child and their family. God Bless the United Way!

“Think before you write!”

Since: Nov 08

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Jun 28, 2011
Educator wrote:
<quoted text>
The United Way school supply drive is NOT for the benefit of the public school system. It is for the CHILDREN of low income families who cannot afford the basic school supplies for their children. Although some supplies are provided for students through the public school system, the basic supplies are not and when families of low socioeconomic status cannot provide either often time classroom teachers are doing so out of their own pockets. So, let the United Way provide the drive for these students that are in need, and then YOU try to imagine what it must be like to be a child that cannot even afford to bring crayons and pencils to school. From a teachers perspective, it is very humiliating for a child and their family. God Bless the United Way!
You're right... the United Way's program is indeed a valid and worthwhile effort. My imagining of lower SES family and students and families is not at a loss... rather, I lament that the schools can't do such efforts, and would instead fund non-scholastic activities in many cases.
Old and Retired

Carlsbad, NM

#4 Jun 28, 2011
Educator: Some of us consider required supplies (crayons and pencils) to be REQUIRED and, therefore part of what the school should have for every student. If there is no money available then, yes let us take up charity for the children. But if you are going to claim 'no money' then there better not be money for non-classroom things like a football stadium at the high school or perks for the vice principal (who came up with that crummy job title?) or field trips.
No, I do not want to do away with any of the above, but if the school system can support those then they can support the important things, also.
susan w

Carlsbad, NM

#5 Jun 28, 2011
squidlyman wrote:
It's sad to me that the public school system has gotten to a point where a public-service group feels it is necessary to collect funding for basic supplies. If money is so short that the school can't afford these supplies for the students (a fundamental component of the schooling process I would posit), then cuts should be made in non-scholastic areas to accommodate.
will this school supply effort also help the private schools
St Edwards, Faith Academy, etc?
Round Robin

Lovington, NM

#6 Jun 28, 2011
What about all the parents that claim "I can't afford it but walk out with a 30 pack every week or have enough to buy there stash for the week. I say do away with this program and let people find their own ways of buying supplies. I remember growing up, poor but may parents always found ways of buying my stuff. That's the problem with this world everyone is relying on other people to furnish everythng for them while many third world countries are going hungry.
ur being selfish

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Jun 28, 2011
who cares about third world countrys worry about your own. theres parents who arent drinking who arent doing drugs and just dont have a shot at life like you may! have a great job making awesome money and can afford things. some of us have had it rough adn can just make ends met and its nice to have some help! its not the childs fautl mom cant provied or dad cant provide some of us arent born rich! some of us are born into very poor families and parents do what they can just to have something for the chidren to eat much less school supplies witch get more expensive every year. not a childs fault at all so im greatful for united way and others who have a heart to help those in need!!!

“Think before you write!”

Since: Nov 08

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Jun 29, 2011
susan w wrote:
<quoted text>
will this school supply effort also help the private schools
St Edwards, Faith Academy, etc?
That's an interesting question... and one for the United Way. It's not a direct comparison (public vs private schooling), and there are other issues (such as tuition) in question, but I too wonder...
NEW MEXICAN

Clovis, NM

#9 Jun 29, 2011
ur being selfish wrote:
who cares about third world countrys worry about your own. theres parents who arent drinking who arent doing drugs and just dont have a shot at life like you may! have a great job making awesome money and can afford things. some of us have had it rough adn can just make ends met and its nice to have some help! its not the childs fautl mom cant provied or dad cant provide some of us arent born rich! some of us are born into very poor families and parents do what they can just to have something for the chidren to eat much less school supplies witch get more expensive every year. not a childs fault at all so im greatful for united way and others who have a heart to help those in need!!!
IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD CHILDREN KEEP YOU'RE LEGS CLOSED.THATS THE ANSWER.WOMEN HAVING KIDS WHEN THEY CAN NOT AFFORD IT!!!!!!

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#10 Jun 29, 2011
NEW MEXICAN wrote:
<quoted text>IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD CHILDREN KEEP YOU'RE LEGS CLOSED.THATS THE ANSWER.WOMEN HAVING KIDS WHEN THEY CAN NOT AFFORD IT!!!!!!
and men not supporting them sure doesnt help, huh?
Erm

Carlsbad, NM

#11 Jun 29, 2011
squidlyman wrote:
<quoted text>
That's an interesting question... and one for the United Way. It's not a direct comparison (public vs private schooling), and there are other issues (such as tuition) in question, but I too wonder...
I find it to be somewhat of a frustrating question.
"Group A is supporting Cause X"

Expected response "Good for Group A"
Actual Internet response "Shame on Group A for not helping Cause Y as much or instead!"

It's human nature where if you give money to say the boy scouts, instead of people being happy, other people are unhappy that you didn't give money to the girl scouts. I hate human nature.
Jenny

Odessa, TX

#12 Jun 29, 2011
Michelewith1l wrote:
<quoted text>
and men not supporting them sure doesnt help, huh?
Learn to "pick" better men, huh? We know that you're were unable to.

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#13 Jun 29, 2011
Jenny wrote:
<quoted text>
Learn to "pick" better men, huh? We know that you're were unable to.
hey stalker, whats up?

Your last sentence doesnt make any sense.

Picking better men isnt always the problem. There are men who are good till the baby comes and then realize it isnt all about them anymore as there is a baby that needs attention and then leaves and dont want anything to do with the baby.
Jenny

Odessa, TX

#14 Jun 29, 2011
Michelewith1l wrote:
<quoted text>
hey stalker, whats up?
Your last sentence doesnt make any sense.
Picking better men isnt always the problem. There are men who are good till the baby comes and then realize it isnt all about them anymore as there is a baby that needs attention and then leaves and dont want anything to do with the baby.
Your legs s/l\u/t.

We all know about your ability to chose losers.
Erm

Carlsbad, NM

#21 Jun 29, 2011
what a totally appropriate discussion to an article about a nonprofit supporting a children's school supplies drive!
ropers

Carlsbad, NM

#22 Jun 29, 2011
Educator wrote:
<quoted text>
The United Way school supply drive is NOT for the benefit of the public school system. It is for the CHILDREN of low income families who cannot afford the basic school supplies for their children. Although some supplies are provided for students through the public school system, the basic supplies are not and when families of low socioeconomic status cannot provide either often time classroom teachers are doing so out of their own pockets. So, let the United Way provide the drive for these students that are in need, and then YOU try to imagine what it must be like to be a child that cannot even afford to bring crayons and pencils to school. From a teachers perspective, it is very humiliating for a child and their family. God Bless the United Way!
if the parent would give up one case of beer and one carton of cig then the $$$$ would be available for the kids

it is NOT a lack of $$$ but rather a CHOICE of how to spend limited resources
NEW MEXICAN

Clovis, NM

#23 Jun 29, 2011
Michelewith1l wrote:
<quoted text>
and men not supporting them sure doesnt help, huh?
Get to know the man first!iIf he has other kids by other women and does not support them and you have kids by him,then who's fault is it?Thats what happens in a lot of cases.If you give it up the first night then who's fault? Thank God I support mine.No court oder support either.I raise my kids.Don't get me wrong there are dead beat dads and they should be in jail or get the shyyt beat out of them every day until they pay or cut it off!!!
Get A Job

Clovis, NM

#24 Jun 29, 2011
Erm wrote:
what a totally appropriate discussion to an article about a nonprofit supporting a children's school supplies drive!
Are you A welfare case to who needs help?

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#25 Jun 29, 2011
NEW MEXICAN wrote:
<quoted text>Get to know the man first!iIf he has other kids by other women and does not support them and you have kids by him,then who's fault is it?Thats what happens in a lot of cases.If you give it up the first night then who's fault? Thank God I support mine.No court oder support either.I raise my kids.Don't get me wrong there are dead beat dads and they should be in jail or get the shyyt beat out of them every day until they pay or cut it off!!!
Oh, so now you are saying I slept with the fathers of my kids the first night? Think again because I didnt. I was married to my first sons father and was engaged to the father of my last three children. At least I was in a relationship with the fathers and not no wh&re, for I never was, never will be.
get educated

Carlsbad, NM

#26 Jun 29, 2011
Michelewith1l wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, so now you are saying I slept with the fathers of my kids the first night? Think again because I didnt. I was married to my first sons father and was engaged to the father of my last three children. At least I was in a relationship with the fathers and not no wh&re, for I never was, never will be.
I hope you're not a product of the school system here. Your grammar is atrocious. "I was in a relationship with the fathers and not no wh&re,"
A double negative = a positive.
Basically you are admitting that you are one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loving Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hunting in the caveland. 1 hr Shane 10
brotherhood of the 74 (Jul '12) 5 hr Smack 911 40
News One arrested after string of armed robberies 12 hr None 25
Ever notice how many names Frankenfool uses Mon Frankenfool 3
I have a .270 caliber rifle because men with a ... Mon Frankenfool 5
When I go into a UniSex bathroom, I always Jun 26 None 3
Can you fart in a jar and Jun 25 None 9

Loving Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Loving Mortgages