Canadian company planning new potash mine

A Toronto-based potash company is planning its first new mine in Lea County in four decades. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
loser

Carlsbad, NM

#24 May 30, 2010
Pakeha wrote:
Let me see if I understand most of what passes as "comment" on this thread. First, Canada is going to sell off our resources. You do understand that the Land Commissioner has leased the mineral rights on state land? That the schools of New Mexico will receive the benefit of these leases? That unless someone is willing to invest in the mine the resources remain unused and no money is produced for schools?
Second, minerman's problem (i.e., he must shave) is Obama's fault. Obama is also responsible for the ring in your toilet!
Third, unions only exist to make union bosses rich. Well I am here to tell you that the current economic crisis in this country is in part the result of the diminution of union power. Government has abdicated its role as a check to unbridled corporate largess. Unions used to effectively provide oversight for corporate excess but, over the past several decades of mostly Republican control of government at the federal level, unions have lost ground. The result is that the working stiffs of this country suffer. But more importantly corporations have exercised nearly unlimited influence with Congress and the Executive--more recently in our Judiciary.
I owe all that I am to unions. My father and grandfather worked in the hole that used be called US Borax and they got only what the union squeezed out of the company. Potashers in the 1950s and 1960s did quite well compared to other miners and skilled laborers around the country at that time BECAUSE of the unions. US Borax was--and its successors are still--a powerful economic force in this country.
Unions fighting for what was fair never prevented or delayed the success of US Borax; its shareholders got rich beyond their dreams. All the angst that the corporate bosses want us to experience today over their bottom line is BS. So get off your high horse about unions causing problems. They have prevented and solved a multitude of problems in our country for years and should be able to continue.
To quote Woody Guthrie:
Their once was a Union Maid
Who never was afraid
Of the goons and the ginks
And the company finks
And the Sheriff's Deputies
Who made the raids.
Unions will only cease to be relevant when no one is required to sell their labor for a wage!
union membership is for workers who are losers and/or lazy. Union members hide behind the shop steward....

Like minerman, above, bitchin about safety rules - he is too stupid to understand there are federal safety rules that the company must enforce....

and if there is an accident, he'll be the first to sue - poor me

no sir, you are WRONG... unions are NOT for the workers, unions are simply another big business
DUDE

Artesia, NM

#25 May 30, 2010
minerman wrote:
well im glad to see more jobs coming here,i work at mosaic,they are trying to reach a goal of being a world class company by 2012,we just got informed that we will all have to shave starting by june 15,most men there have a mustache or small goete,in there contract we have it says no more than 1/2 inch of facial.i hired on as a maintance man not a male model,i work under ground so it s not like the rest of the world really gives a hoot if i shave or not.i have a goete,this is who i am,i understand some one who stays clean cut ,thats fine for them and they wouldnt like it if i told them they had to wear a goete or loose your job.i m there for maintence work.thers plenty of other problems there to address like why dont we have enough air under ground etc.this is a good paying job but the leader ship here as a whole sucks.i wonder if well have to go to a church of there choice ,or if ill have to wear mosaic polo shirts when im on my after hours with family.yes i welcome a new mine to start up here maybe they'll need a maintance man regardless of how he looks are dresses.
Learn to spell and puncuate before you fill out the application. The rule for no facial hair is usually a result of the insurance companies. If they have to give you emergency air and you have facial hair, the face mask might not seal properly. That is my guess. They could make a rule of "well groomed". i.e. short and clean, but then it would be left to opinion of what "well groomed" is.
jogre

Carlsbad, NM

#26 May 30, 2010
Mr, pakeha.....

your mr obama is at a picnic in chicago rather than honoring veterns on MEMORIAL DAY

your herro is a jerk!!!!
Jakeco

Bailey, CO

#27 Aug 30, 2011
Does anyone have any recent info about this mine? Haven't heard anything in a long time.
Main office

Carlsbad, NM

#28 Aug 30, 2011
Jakeco wrote:
Does anyone have any recent info about this mine? Haven't heard anything in a long time.
I heard the office is located in hobbs as for actual work.. dont think they started yet.
Jakeco

Bailey, CO

#29 Aug 30, 2011
Main office wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard the office is located in hobbs as for actual work.. dont think they started yet.
Thank you.I heard that Rudy Milligan, formerly of Intrepid,has gone to work for this new company.Does anyone know?
H Drive

Carlsbad, NM

#30 Aug 30, 2011
I've heard that Randy Foote, formerly of Mississippi Potash and Intrepid, is going to be running the new mine.
fyi

Carlsbad, NM

#31 Aug 30, 2011
Jakeco wrote:
the office is in hobbs - they could not find vacant office space in carlsbad

they had $44 million for building infrastructure

the name is international potash

the location is on the eddy/lea county line (about)

the used core samples from the oil guys to discover the lcation of the potash
HD Drive

Carlsbad, NM

#32 Aug 30, 2011
google intercontinental potash u will find all info u need

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

#33 Aug 30, 2011
a new mine is great news.....since we lost so many over the last thirty years.....i began mining over 31 years ago.....and rules and regulations brought in by what i consider outsiders......bosses brought in from out of state.....have changed the face of mining here in carlsbad to where its become a slave job and not somewhere to be proud o f working.....coal mining and potash mining are entirely different and bringing those ideas to carlsbad do not make it safer but more stringent that only causes more stress and family problems for the employees.....unions were an important part of labor especially in the mines...but they have become a business of their own.....and they dont want to lose their business .....so they dont want to make waves .....not like they used to....bringing tidal waves .....also ....since 2009, the unions have become a hindrance in that if a person feels discriminated against he cant sue in the courts anymore if he has a union.....but the unions refuse to argue this and are not qualfied to represent members in discrimination cases....this alone is a reason to get rid of them.....i have been a union official and have seen the inside of them and the corruption and waste that they get away with....Intrepid Potash is full of outsiders that have screwed over local miners by doing things their way instead of the way it always has been here in carlsbad...
Jakeco

Bailey, CO

#34 Aug 30, 2011
Thank you everyone for the info.Greatly appreciated!
Miner 49er

Carlsbad, NM

#35 Sep 2, 2011
Main office wrote:
<quoted text>
There are more people working for IC Potash in Carlsbad. I've seen several pickups with their logo around town.

They have an office in Hobbs because Lea County resident, and coincidentally, State Senator, Carrol Leavell, who is supposed to represent Carlsbad, Loving, and the Jal area insisted that their HQ offices were to be placed in Hobbs. I was told this by a rancher friend of his in Hobbs last month. She said that the actual place they'll be mining is close to the Brininstool Ranch and the WIPP Site. This is far closer to Carlsbad and Loving than it is to Hobbs. This rancher was overly proud that Lea County "stole" the office from Eddy County. I think they are dreaming if they don't think that 90% of their employees will be from Carlsbad and Loving.

I thought this was hearsay until I ran into someone I used to work with at Mississippi Potash, who works for ICP now. He told me that the City of Carlsbad and Department of Development were both offering either free or low-cost office space for ICP, but that the ICP management felt that politically they had to have their office in Lea County, which fits with what we understand that Senator Leavell told the company. The political fat cats in Lea County apparently have their meat hooks into this group from Canada.

Looks like its time to find a new Senator that will represent Eddy County!
Main Office

Carlsbad, NM

#36 Sep 3, 2011
Miner 49er wrote:
<quoted text>
There are more people working for IC Potash in Carlsbad. I've seen several pickups with their logo around town.
They have an office in Hobbs because Lea County resident, and coincidentally, State Senator, Carrol Leavell, who is supposed to represent Carlsbad, Loving, and the Jal area insisted that their HQ offices were to be placed in Hobbs. I was told this by a rancher friend of his in Hobbs last month. She said that the actual place they'll be mining is close to the Brininstool Ranch and the WIPP Site. This is far closer to Carlsbad and Loving than it is to Hobbs. This rancher was overly proud that Lea County "stole" the office from Eddy County. I think they are dreaming if they don't think that 90% of their employees will be from Carlsbad and Loving.
I thought this was hearsay until I ran into someone I used to work with at Mississippi Potash, who works for ICP now. He told me that the City of Carlsbad and Department of Development were both offering either free or low-cost office space for ICP, but that the ICP management felt that politically they had to have their office in Lea County, which fits with what we understand that Senator Leavell told the company. The political fat cats in Lea County apparently have their meat hooks into this group from Canada.
Looks like its time to find a new Senator that will represent Eddy County!
You sir are correct.
Main Office

Carlsbad, NM

#37 Sep 3, 2011
P.S. not really the main office just a screen name. :D
THAT GUY

Carlsbad, NM

#38 Sep 6, 2011
Potash miners donít use full face masks unless you are mine rescue. #2 tell me in the MSHA hand book say you are required to shave Iím looking at it and canít find it.
THAT GUY

Carlsbad, NM

#39 Sep 6, 2011
Jakeco wrote:
<quoted text>Thank you.I heard that Rudy Milligan, formerly of Intrepid,has gone to work for this new company.Does anyone know?
YES Very true he went to work with Randy foot intrepids loss there gain

Carlsbad, NM

#40 Sep 29, 2011
THAT GUY wrote:
<quoted text>
YES Very true he went to work with Randy foot intrepids loss there gain
Milligan and Rob Cook were fired for not locking out a cable going to a fan....the fan was unplugged and they were working on the fan itself.....the plug laying close by.....Ralph Ramstetter....German motherfu,,,er.... fired them unjustly....Ralph is from Utah or Nevada or some other screwed up place like that.....coal miner who thinks its his way or the highway....his stinking azz ought to be run out of town before he screws up more families and jobs here in carlsbad...
CBad

Carlsbad, NM

#41 Oct 4, 2011
Ellvis is your name Ellis. You still mad at Ralph for firing you. Anyone that wears a dust mask now has to be fit tested. In order to be fit tested you have to shave.

Carlsbad, NM

#42 Oct 4, 2011
CBad wrote:
Ellvis is your name Ellis. You still mad at Ralph for firing you. Anyone that wears a dust mask now has to be fit tested. In order to be fit tested you have to shave.
naw...im over it....but it does hurt to be flushed down the drain....especially when you work all your days off...bust your butt....and run a miner at c-pay for couple years....but hey....what do you expect with big corps that dont care about their employees if they have medical problems.....you either shut up and work ....or you are out the gate....but what they did to milligan and rob cook was dirty....hopefully the owners will realize how much harm these type of bosses are doing to their company and send them packing.....but you know ....guys like me will land on our feet....i am out of the hole and making more than twice the money i was there....and enjoying it....

Carlsbad, NM

#43 Oct 4, 2011
CBad wrote:
oh yea...forgot....i wasnt fired.....given a settlement...money and long term disabiity....700 week for next 16 years....they did me a favor...of course i work ...just not underground anymore...yea...ralph probably had something to do with it since i wouldnt kiss his big behind...he wasnt used to dealing with someone with steel balls....lol...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Loving Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Indiana State law against gays and lesbians a g... 4 hr Carlsbad Resident 1
dr robert pendrak (Jul '14) 12 hr Some body that knows 12
Carlsbad New Mexico's Hospital 13 hr PAC 22
Bannister Plumbing - Charges for just an Estimate 13 hr PAC 9
News Say it in six words (Jul '08) 15 hr Mr T 8,658
News City urged to switch to once-a-week trash pick-up Thu hope not 11
City Council to vote on union contract. Mar 25 sad 6
Loving Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web