Two Scouting families; opposite views...

Two Scouting families; opposite views on gay ban

There are 39 comments on the The Miami Herald story from Feb 5, 2013, titled Two Scouting families; opposite views on gay ban. In it, The Miami Herald reports that:

Despite a shared affection for Scouting, the Tessier family in Maryland and the Comers in Tennessee hope for opposite outcomes this week as leaders of the Boy Scouts of America ponder whether to move away from a national no-gays membership policy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Miami Herald.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Logical Al

Clinton, TN

#22 Feb 20, 2013
Jeff Mangum wrote:
<quoted text>
BIBLE? BITCH LEARN SOME GOETIA DEMONOLOGY. ITS BIBLICAL CANON
If it doesn't occur between the pages of Genesis and Revelations, it is not Biblical.

If you want to include all extra-biblical texts you may as well throw in the gnostic gospels, the catechisms and The Book of Mormon.
wow

Clinton, TN

#24 Feb 21, 2013
all of you that say god this and god that are all very very sad. god also would not approve of you beating your wives and paying money for sex.

"he" would not like you sleeping with your best friends wife or ladies your sisters husband. but more people then not cheat more people then not hit there spouse and people beat their kids all the time and you all are worried about someone being gay...my lady and I happy we do not cheat or hit each other we love both are kids and we teach them to love everyone for who that person is. we do not beat our kids and we have a ever happy home we work and go to school we pay all of our own bills and take damn good care of our kids. now by no means are we perfect but we are perfect for each other.
before her I did marry a man because I was always told liking girl was something I would grow out of and well wouldn't you know that man I married not only hit me but cheated lied spent bill money on poker games and walked out on my son on Christmas morning his first Chirstmas has not paid to help take care of him no thats what me and my lady do.. and like it or not she is so much better than that POS ever was to me and my kids. so why dont you people stop looking at boy-boy, girl-girl, and boy-girl why dont you think about how the 2 are treating each other.or heres a better one stay out of other peoples fucking business because you would not like someone to blast yours every where
Kicker31

Knoxville, TN

#25 Feb 25, 2013
wow, do you associate your worthless ex-husband with all males? Because I am happily married, do not beat my wife, work hard, pay bills, and we are raising a 2 year old. Not all men are worthless. I do agree with you that children should be taught to respect others and treat people with dignity and respect. However, the boy scouts Christian philosophy should be upheld. Christian beliefs frown upon homosexuality and why should that structure be compromised? This is just another case where homosexuality is trying to be shoved down everybodies throat!
Eagle Scout

Maryville, TN

#26 Feb 25, 2013
AC TN wrote:
Maybe not but being GAY is still wrong, against the bible, and a abomination in Gods eyes. Its sick and discusting and anyone who is GAY needs there freaking head examined and they need to seek Gog for there is hope for them.
I don't know who your "Gog" is, but mine is a loving God, and He condemns hate. Turn off FoxNews and read your Bible, sir.
Anonymous

Maryville, TN

#27 Feb 25, 2013
AC TN wrote:
And dude or dudete or whatever you are, you chose to be GAY. GOD did not make you GAY. GOD destroyed sodem and gamora back in the day for all that crap going on. God instituted marriage between a man and a woman. God created Adam and then made a help mate for him. She was a woman and named Eve, not a man named Steve. Your sick and you need help. God still loves you but your headed for a devils hell. I hope you realize you need to be saved and straighten up before its too late. We will all be faced with death one day, everyone of us. Where we go from there depends on if weve accepted god as our saviour or not. Il lpray for you.
Like you, I am a straight Christian, with no gay members of my immediate family, but I don't think you or anyone else who 1) preaches hate and 2) declares he knows whether someone is going to hell or not is in ANY place to cast judgment!(BTW, "help mate?"??? Yikes.) And, yes, I believe God still loves YOU, too...despite your ignorance of His message...and I will pray for you, as well...for God to help you overcome your bigotry, prejudice, and irrational hatred, perhaps through the power of prayer.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#28 Feb 25, 2013
Kicker31 wrote:
wow, do you associate your worthless ex-husband with all males? Because I am happily married, do not beat my wife, work hard, pay bills, and we are raising a 2 year old. Not all men are worthless. I do agree with you that children should be taught to respect others and treat people with dignity and respect. However, the boy scouts Christian philosophy should be upheld. Christian beliefs frown upon homosexuality and why should that structure be compromised? This is just another case where homosexuality is trying to be shoved down everybodies throat!
I'm not sorry to disappoint you, but the Boy Scout's anti-gay philosophy isn't a "Christian" one, because the Boy Scouts are not a "Christian" organization and not exclusively for them.

I'm also not sorry to disappoint you, but not all Christians believe in the philosophy of frowning upon homosexuality.

The only thing being shoved down anyone's throats is your ignorance and intolerance being shoved down the throats of lesbian and gay parents who want to be an active part in their children's lives and boys who have the audacity to find themselves gay while being a Boy Scout. How Christian of you.
Vic

Pekin, IL

#29 Feb 25, 2013
Hick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not sorry to disappoint you, but the Boy Scout's anti-gay philosophy isn't a "Christian" one, because the Boy Scouts are not a "Christian" organization and not exclusively for them.
I'm also not sorry to disappoint you, but not all Christians believe in the philosophy of frowning upon homosexuality.
The only thing being shoved down anyone's throats is your ignorance and intolerance being shoved down the throats of lesbian and gay parents who want to be an active part in their children's lives and boys who have the audacity to find themselves gay while being a Boy Scout. How Christian of you.
Hick, you ridiculous dope, the Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior, and Christianity is based on the Bible. What part of that don't you get?

As for kids with homosexual parentS, there are few, as you well know, Hick. Most kids found in homosexual homes are there because of the prior broken marriage vow of a parent or because of illigitimacy.

Boy Scouts are based on clearly stated moral values. Being involved in the unspeakable God-condemned acts that alone identify and define homosexuals is an infraction of those morals. You don't get this, Hick?

Look at the horrible financial crisis in the Roman Catholic Church caused by homosexual priests. Do you really think Scouting can afford that, Hick?
Jeff Mangum

Charlotte, NC

#30 Feb 25, 2013
Vic wrote:
<quoted text>Hick, you ridiculous dope, the Bible repeatedly condemns all homosexual behavior, and Christianity is based on the Bible. What part of that don't you get?
As for kids with homosexual parentS, there are few, as you well know, Hick. Most kids found in homosexual homes are there because of the prior broken marriage vow of a parent or because of illigitimacy.
Boy Scouts are based on clearly stated moral values. Being involved in the unspeakable God-condemned acts that alone identify and define homosexuals is an infraction of those morals. You don't get this, Hick?
Look at the horrible financial crisis in the Roman Catholic Church caused by homosexual priests. Do you really think Scouting can afford that, Hick?
Pedophilia &#8800; homosexuality. Nice try
Jeff Mangum

Charlotte, NC

#31 Feb 25, 2013
Jeff Mangum wrote:
<quoted text>
Pedophilia &#8800; homosexuality. Nice try
Should read pedophilia =/= homosexuality. Nice try
Kicker31

Knoxville, TN

#34 Feb 26, 2013
Rick, sorry to disappoint you, but the scout oath specifically mentioned God. They would not have mentioned God unless they believed in the word. I'll continue to be kind to all people, but I will not stray from my belief that homosexuals will spend eternity in hell.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#35 Feb 26, 2013
Kicker31 wrote:
Rick, sorry to disappoint you, but the scout oath specifically mentioned God. They would not have mentioned God unless they believed in the word. I'll continue to be kind to all people, but I will not stray from my belief that homosexuals will spend eternity in hell.
Which God?

And why in the world would anyone with a lick of sense believe that God condemns people for ANY natural and harmless God-given trait?

It's not like anyone can choose or change their sexual orientation - it was hardwired by God, after all.

You can believe that the moon is made of green cheese, despite all the evidence to the contrary, but that won't make it any more rational or logical.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#36 Feb 26, 2013
Kicker31 wrote:
Rick, sorry to disappoint you, but the scout oath specifically mentioned God.
It says God dear, it doesn't say which one. The Scouts only require a belief in a higher power, not the Christian God. The ONLY faith they actively exclude are believers in Atheism.
Kicker31 wrote:
They would not have mentioned God unless they believed in the word.
You are 100% right and don't even realize it. They believe in the WORD God, dear, the concept of there being at least one, if not more, if that is what floats your boat. The Boy Scout Oath is to whom it may concern, not any specific deity. It is the equivalent of "In God We Trust" on currency, a non-denominational statement addressing the concept and no actual God by name or suggestion.
Kicker31 wrote:
I'll continue to be kind to all people, but I will not stray from my belief that homosexuals will spend eternity in hell.
That's ever so Christian of you dear, Jesus must be so proud. If that is the ugliness you want in your heart before this God of yours, more power to you. but following you down that path to hell, not happening. Your self-professed good Christian beliefs are morally offensive to me sweetie, but you have every right to them. They however should be made no ones problem with God but your own.
TheTroll Stopper

Roanoke, VA

#37 Feb 26, 2013
Vic aka David Moore the Closet Case Pekin Troll wrote:
Look David Moore, just because you're still bitter that your ex-wife won't let you anywhere near your own kids anymore doesn't mean you should take it out on the rest of us.

No wonder you're divorced. Enjoy the closet! LOLAY!
Kicker31

Knoxville, TN

#38 Mar 1, 2013
You guys have fun trying to bring Christians down. God, heavenly father, not Allah or whatever you believe in. One day you'll realize which God they referenced to, hopefully it won't be to late.
some gay kid

Bowling Green, KY

#39 Mar 1, 2013
AC TN wrote:
Maybe not but being GAY is still wrong, against the bible, and a abomination in Gods eyes. Its sick and discusting and anyone who is GAY needs there freaking head examined and they need to seek Gog for there is hope for them.
Ah yes your bigotry and intolerance have shown me the light of Gog. Heaven here I come.
some gay kid

Bowling Green, KY

#40 Mar 1, 2013
AC TN wrote:
And dude or dudete or whatever you are, you chose to be GAY. GOD did not make you GAY. GOD destroyed sodem and gamora back in the day for all that crap going on. God instituted marriage between a man and a woman. God created Adam and then made a help mate for him. She was a woman and named Eve, not a man named Steve. Your sick and you need help. God still loves you but your headed for a devils hell. I hope you realize you need to be saved and straighten up before its too late. We will all be faced with death one day, everyone of us. Where we go from there depends on if weve accepted god as our saviour or not. Il lpray for you.
1) Why would anybody choose to be gay if they have to put up with homophobes like you?
2) You contradicted yourself. Is it a choice or are we sick and in need of help?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#41 Mar 1, 2013
Kicker31 wrote:
Back in the day, the BSA had the "God and Country" Merit Badge. It could be earned by Buddhist scouts. Buddhism teaches that Siddhartha was not a god. There were also Badges for Unitarianism and Christian Science, neither of which believe in Biblicism, Inerrency nor Sola Scriptura.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#42 Mar 2, 2013
Kicker31 wrote:
You guys have fun trying to bring Christians down. God, heavenly father, not Allah or whatever you believe in. One day you'll realize which God they referenced to, hopefully it won't be to late.
As long as people who call themselves Christians stop trying to turn their personal religious beliefs into laws that ALL must follow, no one will complain.

True Christians no need for such abusive tactics.
sound off

Friendsville, TN

#43 Mar 24, 2013
The subject of homosexuality will take time for the general christian mindset to adjust to. However, gay love will eventually be accepted. Openly discussing homosexuality, w/o animosity,is in its infancy. Be patient and VIGILANT.

Another idea: perhaps instead of seeing homosexual love as the problem, consider the (sometimes spoon-fed) depressed thinking necessary to keep churches in business. Told every week -by one man- how you're supposed to live will cease, as will lots of Sunday services, as more people wise up about spirituality and true brotherhood/sisterhood.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City of Maryville. How much for full deposit el... 30 min AirQuality 1
Herion 1 hr Gino 2
Looking to rent 3 bedroom house in Maryville. $... 12 hr MovingFromOakRidge 1
Laken? 13 hr Ya daddy 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Knoxville, TN (Jul '10) 15 hr Time Out 172
Mouse's Ear (Sep '10) 19 hr bacsoldier 104
News Wreck sends 2 out by Lifestar Wed Conerned 1
More from around the web

Louisville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE