Ranch style homes
Just Curious

Atlanta, GA

#1 Aug 6, 2009
I wanted to know what the opinion of the members of this forum are regarding ranch style houses in Brentwood, TN. From what I noticed, I did not see a lot of homes that are built ranch style in Brentwood, TN. However, there are some new subdivisions that are being built with ranch style homes. I was wondering whether you think the ranch style architecture bodes well with Brentwood community or not, specially in terms of resale value.
Thank you.
Lisa

United States

#3 Sep 19, 2009
Just Curious wrote:
I wanted to know what the opinion of the members of this forum are regarding ranch style houses in Brentwood, TN. From what I noticed, I did not see a lot of homes that are built ranch style in Brentwood, TN. However, there are some new subdivisions that are being built with ranch style homes. I was wondering whether you think the ranch style architecture bodes well with Brentwood community or not, specially in terms of resale value.
Thank you.
You don't see a lot of ranchers in Brentwood. I don't think they would sell well, however, I DO think there is a definite need for single level (not necessarily ranch)homes as people are living longer and can't handle steps very well. Maybe you could look along the lines of 1 1/2 stories....all the living on one level but the house still has character. Just a thought....
Brock

Clarksville, TN

#4 Oct 15, 2013
Take a closer look and you will find that a majority of the houses in the first phase of Brentwood (tucked in the subdivisions off of Granny White and Franklin Rd) are ranch style. These houses were built in the late '60s and early '70s when they were very popular. Single floors living made it easier to move around in. Low angled roofs ensured less leaks and you can actually climb on the roof if you need to as opposed to trying to get on one of the steep roofs they build today. Drawbacks are all bedrooms usually on the same end of the house. Plus, the rooms are boxy and most of the walls are load bearing so you are limited if you want to knock them down for open space. However, houses built back then are more solid and their simpler design means less can go wrong with them.
YESYESYES

New Albany, IN

#5 Dec 8, 2013
If you knew much building archtecture you would know the Ranch style also know as Ramblers were around when places like old subdivisions off Granny White were out of the city and Urban Sprawl wasn't an issue. Yes all of what you said is true but they are ugly as crap and most of all waste of space and not very appealing compared to most other designs. ITS NOT AS BAD AS THE OBSESSION WITH FRONT LOADING GARAGES IN THE UPPER LOWER< LOWER MIDDLE THINK THEY ARE UPPER MIDDLE LOWER UPPED CLASS TICKKY TACKY HOUSES.
brock

Clarksville, TN

#6 Dec 10, 2013
YESYESYES wrote:
If you knew much building archtecture you would know the Ranch style also know as Ramblers were around when places like old subdivisions off Granny White were out of the city and Urban Sprawl wasn't an issue. Yes all of what you said is true but they are ugly as crap and most of all waste of space and not very appealing compared to most other designs. ITS NOT AS BAD AS THE OBSESSION WITH FRONT LOADING GARAGES IN THE UPPER LOWER< LOWER MIDDLE THINK THEY ARE UPPER MIDDLE LOWER UPPED CLASS TICKKY TACKY HOUSES.
I'd still rather live in the older ranch house subdivisions west of I65 than the newer houses on the east side. Nothing against the neighborhoods, it's just that I like the bigger lots, mature trees, and walking distance to Brentwood's "downtown". I know the houses get a bad rap because they are simple and have no character. However, they were better built than new houses and they are cheaper and easier to maintain.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tennessee Democrats 2 hr Bull Durham 82
North Korea 2 hr Thinking Out Loud 34
Defense Secretary General Mattis at his Very Best 2 hr South Knox Hombre 1
keep a word , drop a word (Jan '13) 11 hr Alyssa76 166
Who is doing this 13 hr Lance Corporal Bubba 4
The Knoxville News Sentinel Protest Daily 14 hr Donald J Trump 36
News Burchett: I'm running for U.S. House or Senate ... Tue Thinking Out Loud 239

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages