Fed up parent

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

Is anyone else tired of this deceiving blowhard, Mike Looney? He is a great self promoter and great at taking credit for other's work, but that is about all I can say that is positive. What is worse is that our moronic boe is thinking about giving this clown a raise.
John Long

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2014

He is a total asshat that has pulled the wool over the eyes of a dumb bunch of elected board members. They are so stupid, they would get on their knees and serve him.
M Stevens

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2014

Little Napoleon that has destroyed teacher moral while test scores have gone up based on previous leadership's decisions. I should know, I have been teaching in Williamson County for 20+ years. His antics are embarrassing to the county and he does it under the guise of doing what is best for kids. We would be much better off with new leadership.
No duh

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2014

I agree with the other comments about the guy, but come on, what do you expect? He is a narcissistic wanna be politician/celebrity that is only using the county as a stepping stone to the next better job. Of course he will be a deceptive liar. Almost all politicians are. He will use any excuse to get his greasy little face in the papers and on the news. Just wait for a bit and he will come out with another hair brained idea he takes from some other district and pass it off as his own, just to be able to get more PR. But it will never come to fruition in Williamson County, his crap rarely does. He has the media and the Board believing he is effective, but spend five minutes listening to the guy and anyone with the sense of a squirrel will see through his bs. He's just a small town guy who lucked into a job that was set up to be successful because of the wealth of the county. His best talent is making it look like he has made the district successful. News flash, it was the best district in the state before he got here. He is more of a used car salesman than an educator.
Bwood Dad

Brentwood, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2014

Judged:

You all sure are brave behind your keyboards.

The fact is that he has gotten better results than the previous 4 superintendents.
ACT scores have increased every year and are the best in the state.
Teacher morale has improved as he has pushed back against tyrannical policies from the state dept. of ed.
He has encouraged student involvement with the Ladders to Hope program.
The BYOT program was an innovative way to save tens of thousands by allowing students to bring their own devices to school rather than beg the county commission to spend $$ on not enough laptops/desktops.
There are many other examples of why he has done a great job. It is one of the hardest jobs you could have around here, especially with people like you and your talk-radio mentality.
Here's an idea: Push away from the keyboard and GET INVOLVED in your community. Then your posts would look less ignorant.
Top Dog

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2014

To B'wood Dad,

What hole are you living in? BYOT was happening all over the country long before Looney showed up.

The ACT scores were already the highest in the state and have climbed at the same rate as most of the rest of the state and they remain the highest along with Maryville City Schools.

His grandstanding against "tyrranical policies from the state dept of ed" has changed nothing. They are all still in place, so he was completely ineffective in his stance; but to another poster's point, it did get him more PR.

Just look at how poorly he handled rezoning a few years ago; all the lies and half truths. The guy is an idiot and our board would be just as idiotic by giving him a raise. They are already morons by keeping him around.

And to your point about other superintendents, while usually embroiled in a lot of politics by petty people jealous of her position and power of her husband, Sharber was a far more knowledgeable superintendent.
Top Dog

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 23, 2014

But I do agree, its a tough job. I, apparently like others, do not think he is doing well. And I have spent a lot of time helping schools.
Angry Mom

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Making 5 year old children stand at the bus stop in 5 degree temperatures is typical mike "loonacy." I wonder if he will tweet out another brag and offend other school districts?
Ranger

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Here is a fine example of erratic grandstanding by this embarrassing loser;

http://www.brentwoodhomepage.com/parents-plea...

A short timer that regularly talks about his days of military service as if he ever really did anything is offensive to me. He was a high school drop out that took a short military detour because he had no other options. Thanks for your service, but shut up about it and quit bragging. You dishonor the real heroes by making people tired of service braggarts.
Steve Moore

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2014

Grandstanding glory hound that has been ferreted out. Needs to go back to Alabama.
History Teacher

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

No duh wrote:
I agree with the other comments about the guy, but come on, what do you expect? He is a narcissistic wanna be politician/celebrity that is only using the county as a stepping stone to the next better job. Of course he will be a deceptive liar. Almost all politicians are. He will use any excuse to get his greasy little face in the papers and on the news. Just wait for a bit and he will come out with another hair brained idea he takes from some other district and pass it off as his own, just to be able to get more PR. But it will never come to fruition in Williamson County, his crap rarely does. He has the media and the Board believing he is effective, but spend five minutes listening to the guy and anyone with the sense of a squirrel will see through his bs. He's just a small town guy who lucked into a job that was set up to be successful because of the wealth of the county. His best talent is making it look like he has made the district successful. News flash, it was the best district in the state before he got here. He is more of a used car salesman than an educator.
Hitler had a thing for media and self promotion too.
Cute

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2014

It is sad how the Williamson County BOE praises Looney for making progress toward a few goals that were completely low hanging fruit that would have shown improvement with any monkey at the helm. He is a trained government lackey without an iota of true leadership ability. He rules by fear and does not have the support of too many teachers and administrators. Who will he fire or sue next to get more attention? Almost the entire lot on West Main needs to be kicked to the curb. But the BOE has their collective head up his backside, so he will stay and embarrass us and keep the teachers scared and overworked while the students continue to show improvement that comes from being raised in a wealthy home in a wealthy community but not from the leadership decisions of a buffoon.
Reality Dad

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2014

He is a sham and a putz
Timothy R

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

After thinking back over the past few years, I would have to agree that most of these comments are spot on. Looney is in love with the image he has of himself and seems to believe his self created press. Williamson schools will be successful because of the area and in spite of the director. The board members, for the most part, are oblivious to how much more the schools are capable of if the board would get Looney out of way. They all seem to be blind to Looney's press machine that controls what is reported them and to the public. I have a very strong belief that the truth is very far from what is conveyed. Transparency is only a word to be used deceptively when the need to appear transparent arises. He flip fops on just about every decision and policy and will absolutely say anything he needs to to anyone he needs to protect his job and his image. He is one of those guys that it is easy to tell when he is lying; when his lips are moving.
Mine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

The rest of the state rolls our eyes and laughs every time your windbag of a director speaks.
Big Brother Alert

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 3, 2014

I'm betting looney is using work hours and williamson county resources to figure out who all of you are. That's what Big Brother does. That's what you have to do when you rule by fear - control what is being said of you and try to get rid of those who appear stronger or more popular. Since apparently at least one of you is a teacher, better look out...a coward with power is a very dangerous thing.
Reb

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

Looney does seem to be somewhat of an Obama clone, not that he has the charisma or intelligence of Obama, but that he over-promises and under-delivers, has deceptive conversations of half truths, intimidates subordinates, uses NSA tactics to gather information, only self deprecates if it is self serving for greater self advancement, never truly answers a question directly, and covers up the larger issues like the intentional poverty clustering in Williamson County Schools where the poorest students in Franklin are all sent to one school when there is another school closer by.
Wilco Student

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2014

I used to love going to school. Now all we ever hear about is tests; EOCs, ACTs and score this and score that. The pressure is ridiculous. The director should be a buffer for this kind of pressure, not the cause of it. I know, I know, it's the state that mandates it all. They do and a better director would ease the burden, not get amped up and get the entire county in an uproar of a pressure cooker of test scores. EOC days are usually my days off because I "feel sick." I am sick...SICK OF IT!
A good example

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2014

This is a good example of how williamson county is about numbers and not students;

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140205/NE...

This is all because of the pressure from the top to do whatever it takes to make the data look as good a possible, regardless of the harm to students. Out of control egos cause this.
Governors Club

Franklin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2014

Anyone that has heard him speak or spent two minutes in conversation with him knows he is a ego-maniacal jackass with questionable intelligence and integrity, but the data looks good, so he is staying. Get used to him. A spineless board rubber stamps everything he does.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 9 min BAS 145,380
TN Tennessee Hunting Rights Amendment (Oct '10) 27 min Hunters are pussles 8,611
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 2 hr WTH 9,297
Engagement: Melissa Perry & Taylor Trumphour 8 hr KKs EX 4
Review: Treescapes 9 hr John Eubanks 1
Craig's list 10 hr all talk 1
slum lord 11 hr nicole 1

Search the Louisville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Louisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000