Four Children Killed In Blount County...

Four Children Killed In Blount County fire

There are 172 comments on the WBIR Knoxville story from Feb 6, 2007, titled Four Children Killed In Blount County fire. In it, WBIR Knoxville reports that:

An overnight fire in Blount County has claimed the lives of four children, according to Sheriff James Berrong.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WBIR Knoxville.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Since: Feb 07

Friendsville, Tn. 37737

#174 Feb 8, 2007
Kelly wrote:
dOES fRIENDSVILLE HAVE A FUNRAL HOME? wHY ARE THE OWNERS MAKING THIS FAMILY PAY FOR THE FUNRELS OF THESE 4 CHILDERN? tHEY MAKE ENOUGH MONEY THRU OUT THE YEAR OFF INSURANCE THAT I THINK THEY SHOULD DO THIS FOR THE FAMILY FOR FREE!!!!FAMILIES WITH THEIR OWN PRIVATE GRAVEYARDS SHOULD BE GIVING THIS FAMILY 4 FREE PLOTS FOR THESE 4 CHILDERN!!I AGREE 110% WITH EVERYTHING PEOPLE ARE DOING TO HELP THIS FAMILY, BUT COME ON THE OWNERS NEED TO DO THIS FOR FREE!!! THE PARENTS HAVE ENOUGH TO BE WORRING ABOUT RIGHT NOW WITHOUT TRYING TO HAVE ALL THE MONEY ITS GOING TO TAKE TO LAY THEIR CHILDERN TO REST. IF ANYONE KNOWS THE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER OF THE FUNRAL HOME PLEASE POST IT AND LETS ALL CALL AND SEE IF WE CAN GET THIS DONE FREE OF CHARGE THEN LET ALL THE MONEY GO TO BUILDING A NEW HOME AND FURNISHING FOR THE PARENTS AND THE LITTLE BOY. LOOKS TO ME LIKE EVERYONE IN FRIENDSVILLE AND AROUND IS DOING ALL THEY CAN DO WHEN ALL THE FUNRAL HOME OWNER HAS TO DO IS GIVE A LITTLE TIME AND EFFORT TO SEE THAT THESE CHILDERN ARE LAID TO REST IN A PROPER WAY AND TAKE A LITTLE BIT OF BURDEN OFF THIS FAMILY. SORRY IF I SOUND AWFUL BUT IT JUST UPSETS ME TO SEE A NEIBORHOOD PULL TOGETHER LIKE THIS TO TRY TO RAISE MONEY TO BURY 4 BABIES WHEN SOMEBODY(THE OWNER) CAN DO IT FOR FREE IF THEY JUST WOULD!!THESE PARENTS HAVE LOST 4 OF THEIR 5 CHILDERN AND ARE NOT IN GOOD HEALTH THEMSELF AND THEY DONT NEED THE WORRY OF MONEY RIGHT NOW. MY HEART BREAKS FOR THEM. PLEASE SOMEBODY IN FRIENDSVILLE GET IN TOUCH WITH THE FUNRAL HOME AND TRY TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL DO ASK POEPLE TO DONATE 4 PLOTS FOR THESE BABIES. POST THE INFO ON HERE AND I WILL CALL WHO EVER I NEED I LIVE IN KNOXVILLE BUT I WILL DO ALL THAT I CAN!!!
No Friendsville does not have a funeral home. I spoke with Smiths Mortuary today.I asked questions about the funeral expenses.I asked who was helping ,he replied " We are taking donations to help offset the cost".He did say that any funeral x 4 is going to be expensive.I will be donating even though agree with you .I hope others will do the same.
Ucemego

AOL

#176 Feb 9, 2007
Kelly wrote:
dOES fRIENDSVILLE HAVE A FUNRAL HOME? wHY ARE THE OWNERS MAKING THIS FAMILY PAY FOR THE FUNRELS OF THESE 4 CHILDERN? tHEY MAKE ENOUGH MONEY THRU OUT THE YEAR OFF INSURANCE THAT I THINK THEY SHOULD DO THIS FOR THE FAMILY FOR FREE!!!!FAMILIES WITH THEIR OWN PRIVATE GRAVEYARDS SHOULD BE GIVING THIS FAMILY 4 FREE PLOTS FOR THESE 4 CHILDERN!!I AGREE 110% WITH EVERYTHING PEOPLE ARE DOING TO HELP THIS FAMILY, BUT COME ON THE OWNERS NEED TO DO THIS FOR FREE!!! THE PARENTS HAVE ENOUGH TO BE WORRING ABOUT RIGHT NOW WITHOUT TRYING TO HAVE ALL THE MONEY ITS GOING TO TAKE TO LAY THEIR CHILDERN TO REST. IF ANYONE KNOWS THE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER OF THE FUNRAL HOME PLEASE POST IT AND LETS ALL CALL AND SEE IF WE CAN GET THIS DONE FREE OF CHARGE THEN LET ALL THE MONEY GO TO BUILDING A NEW HOME AND FURNISHING FOR THE PARENTS AND THE LITTLE BOY. LOOKS TO ME LIKE EVERYONE IN FRIENDSVILLE AND AROUND IS DOING ALL THEY CAN DO WHEN ALL THE FUNRAL HOME OWNER HAS TO DO IS GIVE A LITTLE TIME AND EFFORT TO SEE THAT THESE CHILDERN ARE LAID TO REST IN A PROPER WAY AND TAKE A LITTLE BIT OF BURDEN OFF THIS FAMILY. SORRY IF I SOUND AWFUL BUT IT JUST UPSETS ME TO SEE A NEIBORHOOD PULL TOGETHER LIKE THIS TO TRY TO RAISE MONEY TO BURY 4 BABIES WHEN SOMEBODY(THE OWNER) CAN DO IT FOR FREE IF THEY JUST WOULD!!THESE PARENTS HAVE LOST 4 OF THEIR 5 CHILDERN AND ARE NOT IN GOOD HEALTH THEMSELF AND THEY DONT NEED THE WORRY OF MONEY RIGHT NOW. MY HEART BREAKS FOR THEM. PLEASE SOMEBODY IN FRIENDSVILLE GET IN TOUCH WITH THE FUNRAL HOME AND TRY TO SEE WHAT THEY WILL DO ASK POEPLE TO DONATE 4 PLOTS FOR THESE BABIES. POST THE INFO ON HERE AND I WILL CALL WHO EVER I NEED I LIVE IN KNOXVILLE BUT I WILL DO ALL THAT I CAN!!!
The funeral home is located in Maryville. The name is Smith Mortuary. They have a web site www.smithmortuary.com and people can sign a quest book for these children online if wanted. The number 8659831000. Maybe with alot of calls and emails....they will rethink the fees they are charging this family. I also agree that this should be done for free or at least a minimal cost.
Cathy in Knoxville

Oak Ridge, TN

#177 Feb 9, 2007
An idea wrote:
Has anyone thought of contacting ABC's Extreme Home Makeover? This is the type of situation they deal with.
I think that is the best idea, I watch it almost every week. I would love to see them help this family. Lets do it.
A VERY LOVING MOM

United States

#178 Feb 9, 2007
Westboro wrote:
Is there any truth to the rumor that those nut-jobs at westboro baptist church are planning on protesting at this and the KY funerals?
I saw a message board about the KY fire and they were talking about it there, then someone told me that they are coming to this one also.
WHAT ARE THEY PROTESTING?
Ucemego

AOL

#179 Feb 9, 2007
A VERY LOVING MOM wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAT ARE THEY PROTESTING?
I would also like to know what the protest is about. Sounds like a bunch of nuts with too much time. Too bad they can not get together and do something "worthwhile" to help this family and others.

If anyone knows what the protest is about.....please post.
ABA

Maineville, OH

#181 Feb 12, 2007
The demonstrators mentioned in the previous post show up at funerals to gain attention for their group and their message. There is no connection between the cause of this group from out of state and the deaths in KY or TN. They simply want attention and know that announcing plans to appear at such services gets them media attention and get a lot of people talking about them which in a very sick way helps spead their message.

Excerpted from KY Enquirer: Attorney General Greg Stumbo told law enforcement officials in Bardstown that protesters who plan to demonstrate at a funeral Saturday for 10 fire victims could be subject to arrest.
A group from the Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., plans to come to Bardstown to express their belief that the family's deaths are God's punishment for a nation that condones homosexuality. The group has protested at funerals across the country, often those of soldiers killed in Iraq.
In September, a federal judge ruled that peaceful funeral protests are allowed and barred enforcement of a law passed by the Kentucky Legislature that would prohibit such protests.
But Stumbo issued an advisory Thursday that reminds law enforcement officials that by law no person may block access to any funeral, engage in violent or threatening behavior, make unreasonable noise or create any other hazardous or offensive condition within 300 feet of a funeral home, memorial service or cemetery during a funeral or burial.
"It is critical that the rights of grieving families and communities are protected," Stumbo said.
Janet Tonge, a sister of one of the fire victims, Sherry Maddox, said she is very angry about the Kansas church's plans to protest as her family grapples with the loss of so many relatives.
Bardstown Mayor Dick Heaton said Thursday that he is meeting with local police to determine a plan of action to be prepared for the protest.
But he urged people to try their best to ignore the protest, which he said is disrespectful and aimed only at getting media attention.
"The best thing you can do is really ignore them," Heaton said. "There's nothing that they stand for that has any relevance to this situation."
Source: http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl...
ABA

Maineville, OH

#182 Feb 13, 2007
The Kentucky Firefighters Association urges everyone to check Smoke Detectors

February 9, 2007. The tragic events this week in Bardstown, KY remind us of the need to review our home escape plans and ensure working smoke detectors. According to the United States Fire Administration there were 3675 fire deaths in the US in 2005. That year there were nearly 18,000 fire related injuries. Although 90% of all residences have smoke alarms today, 74% of home fire deaths result from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. Working Smoke Alarms do save lives but are just tools in the escape process. We must all create and practice home escape plans. Know how you and your children will react before a fire.

In some areas the local Red Cross or Fire Department can make smoke detectors available at no or reduced costs. Contact your local agency for more information.

Installation, maintenance and testing tips (source NFPA)
Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, including the basement,
making sure that there is an alarm outside every separate sleeping area.
If you sleep with bedroom doors closed, have a qualified electrician
install interconnected smoke alarms in each room so that when one alarm sounds, they all sound.
Mount smoke alarms high on walls or ceilings (remember, smoke rises).
Ceiling mounted alarms should be installed at least four inches away from the nearest wall; wall-mounted alarms should be installed four to 12 inches away from the ceiling.
Don't install smoke alarms near windows, doors, or ducts where drafts
might interfere with their operation.
Never paint smoke alarms. Paint, stickers, or other decorations could keep
the alarms from working.
Test your smoke alarms once a month, following the manufacturer's
instructions.
Replace the batteries in your smoke alarm once a year, or as soon as the
alarm "chirps" warning that the battery is low. Hint: schedule battery replacements for the same day you change your clocks from daylight savings time to standard time in the fall.
Never "borrow" a battery from a smoke alarm. Smoke alarms can't warn you
of fire if their batteries are missing or have been disconnected.
Don't disable smoke alarms even temporarily. If your smoke alarm is
sounding "nuisance alarms," try relocating it farther from kitchens or bathrooms, where cooking fumes and steam can cause the alarm to sound.
Regularly vacuuming or dusting your smoke alarms, following the
manufacturer's instructions, can keep them working properly.
Smoke alarms don't last forever. Replace yours once every 10 years. If you
can't remember how old the alarm is, then it's probably time for a new one.
Consider installing smoke alarms with "long-life" (10-year) batteries.
Plan regular fire drills to ensure that everyone knows exactly what to do
when the smoke alarm sounds. Hold a drill at night to make sure that sleeping family members awaken at the sound of the alarm.
tiffanywayman

Brentwood, TN

#183 May 4, 2011
hi im tiffany shelbys old friend from 1st grade me and shelby were like sisters! man when i heard she died i didnt go to school for 3weeks. im very sorry for the loss of shelby senjens and jerrys and mandys life but atleast rhyman lived!
No1important

Columbia, TN

#184 Nov 22, 2011
So sorry to read this
Alisha Gentry

United States

#185 Jun 23, 2012
Natalie H wrote:
<quoted text>
What are they protesting,their religion? That is so sad to hear.
It was because the JROTC detail who were carrying her casket, they protest any military involvement in funerals. very big on causing sense at mil. funerals. I was apart of the ROTC for WBHS and she was one of my very best friends.
Alisha Gentry

United States

#186 Jun 23, 2012
Mandy was a great friend of mine, I took her death very hard and still miss her very much. I still remember how awful it was when I heard she had died. I was in ROTC and her math class was just down the hall, I still remember when she would come over to my class and hang out before the school bell rang. I miss her terribly. She really was a great person.
a friend

United States

#187 Mar 8, 2016
I just started thinking about Mandy, its been almost 10 years and I still miss her and it still breaks my heart how she died, this isn't supposed to happen to good people like her.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tennessee Democrats 2 hr Bull Durham 82
North Korea 2 hr Thinking Out Loud 34
Defense Secretary General Mattis at his Very Best 2 hr South Knox Hombre 1
keep a word , drop a word (Jan '13) 11 hr Alyssa76 166
Who is doing this 13 hr Lance Corporal Bubba 4
The Knoxville News Sentinel Protest Daily 14 hr Donald J Trump 36
News Burchett: I'm running for U.S. House or Senate ... Tue Thinking Out Loud 239

Louisville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Louisville Mortgages