Xenical to be available over the counter

Full story: WBIR Knoxville

For the first time, the Food and Drug Administration is making a prescription diet drug available over the counter.
Comments
1 - 20 of 95 Comments Last updated Aug 17, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Alma Mendoza

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2007

When will this weight loss pill (ALLI)be available in the pharmacy or drug stores?

“Did it on em'”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2007

I think this could be a good thing.....the downside is that even though the reports say this is not the "magic bullit" to reduce fat in replacement of diet and exercise people are going to think this and are going to take this pill and think I will get skinny and it not happen. With any weight loss drug you have to exercise and eat right for it to work correctly. Simple as that. But I do hope it helps people loose the weight they need to for simple health reasons!

Kim
Phyllis

Tazewell, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2007

Oh Great! yet another magic drug,for the drug companies to make millions,but they don't tell you the long term consequences,but we are a fast fix society and don't think about the future and what our health will be like after abusing it with these "magic pills" for years.
brandi

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2007

Supposed to hit market in June..I am really excited there is another diet pill that probably wont work either..I have tried everything..Really looking for a doc that perscribes the diet pill Adapex..If you know of one please let me know..
Get a Grip

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2007

brandi wrote:
Supposed to hit market in June..I am really excited there is another diet pill that probably wont work either..I have tried everything..Really looking for a doc that perscribes the diet pill Adapex..If you know of one please let me know..
Here is an idea for you brandi, how about getting your fat butt off the couch and going for a walk! Oh, here is another one, stop eating Mcdonald's super size meals...with that diet coke! You may be surprised by just how much weight you could lose if you actually showed a little self control instead of looking for a magical pill!
Actually

Owensboro, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2007

Newsflash! There is no magic pill to make you lose weight. Trust me, nor is there a perfect fad diet that is going to help. Those low carb diets are a bunch of croc. Sure they make you lose weight, but they also put a lot of stress on your kidneys because they use fat for energy and the byproduct of that is acid that your kidneys have to take care of. I would suggest reading how your body metabolizes carbohydrate, fat and protein. It is scary how much damage you can do if your body relies on fat and protein as primary energy sources. There is nothing that is going to help you, aside from surgery, more than a balanced diet and plain ol' exercise. Any dietician will tell you that.
Marian

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2007

I Take xenical by prescription and lost 56 pounds. I also did not have to take it every day. Once I took it everyday for a week and it was in the system I backed off. I started to take it only when I ate something that had a lot of oil or grease. I had no health problems, in fact my health improved. My blood pressure went down, my physical activity improved and as well as my self esteem. Yes there are no magic pills but what works for one may not work for someone else. The point is use your head with medication, none of it will work if you go into it wrecklessly.
Kelly Bliss

Dublin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2007

This is an OTC version of Xenical or Orlistat. It causes "oily anal leakage" and other unpleasantries. The data on this drug shows only a 5% to 10% weight loss, with people REGAINING weight by the end of one year (when the study period ended). When I work with clients toward healthy eating and fitness, without the frustration of watching their weight, they too have a 5% to 10% weight loss. However, their underpants stay cleaner. You can see me interviewed on this subject on http://www.kellybliss.com/inthenews/psyp.php#...
get real

Nanty Glo, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2007

Get a Grip wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is an idea for you brandi, how about getting your fat butt off the couch and going for a walk! Oh, here is another one, stop eating Mcdonald's super size meals...with that diet coke! You may be surprised by just how much weight you could lose if you actually showed a little self control instead of looking for a magical pill!
your comments are very judgemental and offensive - not all people are fat because they sit on the couch and eat supersized mcd. meals. I hope you are as perfect as your nasty post implies - it must be magical to be as wonderful as you are
Type II diabetes

Guston, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 19, 2007

As mentioned above, not all fat people are over-eating slugs. I have to wonder if negative comments about Xenical don't come mainly from thin people (like Kelly) whose business relies on fat people to keep it going. As a medical professional (ER RN), it is known that metabolic disorders like diabetes and hypothyroidism can interfere with weight loss. The "oil and leakage" problem associated with Xenical has been around since fat-free potato chips and Xenical have been around. Eat a bag full of fat-free chips or eat a fatty meal with Xenical and you MIGHT have a problem - people react differently. For a Type II diabetic, a weight loss of "only" 10% can make the difference between shots of insulin daily or getting off medication altogether. I'll take may chances with Xenical - I hate needles!

“THE RUMBLE WILL BECOME A ROAR”

Since: Dec 06

United States of America

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2007

Fat people who comment wrote:
You fat asse$ should be very happy about having a pill to take instead of exercising and eating healthy. I hate fat people with their stinky fat people smell and stained clothes...you disgust me. I cant wait until you eat yourself into a heart attack. Fat people are a complete waste of resources to those of us who don't eat more than necessary.
Aren't you special!!

“Did it on em'”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2007

Fat people who comment wrote:
You fat asse$ should be very happy about having a pill to take instead of exercising and eating healthy. I hate fat people with their stinky fat people smell and stained clothes...you disgust me. I cant wait until you eat yourself into a heart attack. Fat people are a complete waste of resources to those of us who don't eat more than necessary.
Amazing. Just to let you know, Karma is a bit*h and you are going to get what is coming to you and it is going to be just awful.

Kim
Bangalee

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2007

Why give the schmuck the time of day? He/she is just looking for an audience. Ignorant and hateful people are a complete waste of resources to those of us who have better things to do with our time.
sandy

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2007

tried xenical several years ago. had great success in losing more inches than lbs. side effects were a little compromising for me personally but well worth it when i saw results. had to stop because of cost at 150 a month. been wanting to get them again but too expensive. now i can afford them. woohoooooo thanks
sandy

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2007

Alma Mendoza wrote:
When will this weight loss pill (ALLI)be available in the pharmacy or drug stores?
i read sometime in june
sandy

Leesburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2007

to elaborate on some of the less than kind comments. not all "fat" people are fat because of what they eat. there are those of us who have had a weight issue since youth. being hyper and nervous can affect you in 2 ways 1 keep you thin or 2 keep you fat. be understanding and compassionate.offer moral support. that helps too.
Dayla

Bryan, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2007

In the article it says June.
Alma Mendoza wrote:

“Did it on em'”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2007

sandy wrote:
to elaborate on some of the less than kind comments. not all "fat" people are fat because of what they eat. there are those of us who have had a weight issue since youth. being hyper and nervous can affect you in 2 ways 1 keep you thin or 2 keep you fat. be understanding and compassionate.offer moral support. that helps too.
I think there are some people in this world that just do not think before they speak.
Bangalee

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2007

I've taken Xenical since Summer 2006. I've lost 30 lbs. but for the past few months it has stopped working and my weight is not budging either way. Then again I can only tolerate 1 tablet a day.

I've still got an 8 week supply (2 boxes of 84 mg tablets) of the genuine Roche brand Xenical (120 mg) that I will sell you if you're interested. The tablets will expire in November 2008. If you or any other American resident on this forum is interested in buying, put up a reply under this topic with your e-mail address.

While I am Canadian, I will sell ONLY to U.S. residents because I know it is illegal to obtain Xenical in Canada without a prescription. It appears that selling to American residents is OK, since orlistat will be sold over-the-counter under the brand name "Alli" in 60 mg doses, which just means you could take 2 of the OTC stuff to equal one prescription Xenical.

The first taker at the price I quote gets it...
red

Winnsboro, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 4, 2007

O.K. That was mean.
If you just cut out something from your diet that you eat every day you will see some results. Like cokes, or stop eating fried food, or cut out the sweets, maybe just allow yourself one sweet a day.
On top of this take the xenical. You will see results. Doing it this way, you want feel like your on a diet. Later, when you feel like its is time, try to cut out something else. And if you add even just walking for 15-20 min most the days a week this will give you even greater results. You not only burn the calories the treadmill says, but this gets your metabolism going for the whole day.
Compared to going to an immediate strict diet, this will have slower results. But you are less likely to quit the "diet" because it is not as hard on you.
You have to start sometime.
Start now.
And when the over the counter is available, it will be just an extra.
If one day and you mess up and eat the thing you banned, don't give up... tell yourself that's o.k. I will do better tomorrow.
Good Luck!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Louisville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Christian" Lady Vols Fans Condone Homosexuality 5 min Darren 17
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 5 min Really 144,679
lookinh 1 hr TONYnTN 3
where is the EDM scene in Knoxville? 2 hr Yep 5
The Rush In South Knox 2 hr Yep 3
Dr. Tommy Crunk 2 hr 9-oh-too-wan-oh 2
East TN Pain Clinic Review (Apr '10) 6 hr SeriousAs Can Be 1,064

Search the Louisville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Louisville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000