Louisa to Reopen Trevilians Gym, Progress on Other Schools - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News,...

Louisa County is just a day away from re-opening part of an elementary school closed by last year's earthquake. Full Story
sam townie

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Sep 20, 2012
one year later and you dont have a building plan , what the heck no wonder it will take years !! hurry up every chance you get the money is there !
Spending Spree

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Sep 21, 2012
What is with all the spending on redoing all the schools with luxury items? Stop spending our tax money!
Bill

Troutville, VA

#3 Sep 22, 2012
As I read the comments about schools there seems to be something against providing adequate schools for our children. Everytime a county wants to cut something from it's budget, the first thing to be cut is the school budget. It's no wonder that most other countries have better schools and education for their children. For instance a 17 year old in Austraila has finished high school and some collage. It's required by the country. We are turning out a bunch of kids that can hardly spell their own names much less math, english and the sciences. I took my child out of the public schools because the best grade she got in 1st thru 5th grade was a "C". Enrolled her in Home School and now her grades are A's and A+'s, because of the attitude of the public school system she is 2 years behind where she is supposed to be.
As a comedian once said "If it werent for the pictures on the cash registers at the fast food joints the kids working there wouldn't know what to ring up".
Instead of cutting the budget for schools, the budget should be doubled and maybe even tripled, so that our kids can have the best teachers money can buy. Yes I know it might create a hardship for other county functions, but our kids are more important than a lot of other county programs that only waste money. For instance you see a group of people out working for the county. Typically one of them is doing the work and sometimes as many as four or five are standing around watching.
THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY HAD BETTER WAKE UP AND VOTE FOR ADEQUATE FUNDING FOR OUR SCHOOLS OR THEY MAY WAKE UP ONE DAY AND FIND THAT WE HAVE A BUNCH OF KIDS WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO ANYTHING. THEN WE WILL SEE HOW MUCH IT WILL COST TO SUPPORT THESE PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE SKILLS NECESSARY TO DO ANY KIND OF JOB.(LIKE WELFARE, AND ALL OF THE OTHER GIVE-AWAY PROGRAMS IN EFFECT NOW). THESE PROGRAMS WILL COST TAX PAYERS A WHOLE LOT MORE IN THE LONG RUN THAN IT WILL COST TO EDUCATE OUR KIDS, NOW, FOR THE FUTURE.
Lao Tzu once said "If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime." This saying is as applicable today as it was in the 4th century when it was quoted.

Thanks
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#4 Sep 22, 2012
Bill wrote:
As I read the comments about schools there seems to be something against providing adequate schools for our children. Everytime a county wants to cut something from it's budget, the first thing to be cut is the school budget. It's no wonder that most other countries have better schools and education for their children. For instance a 17 year old in Austraila has finished high school and some collage. It's required by the country. We are turning out a bunch of kids that can hardly spell their own names much less math, english and the sciences. I took my child out of the public schools because the best grade she got in 1st thru 5th grade was a "C". Enrolled her in Home School and now her grades are A's and A+'s, because of the attitude of the public school system she is 2 years behind where she is supposed to be.
As a comedian once said "If it werent for the pictures on the cash registers at the fast food joints the kids working there wouldn't know what to ring up".
Instead of cutting the budget for schools, the budget should be doubled and maybe even tripled, so that our kids can have the best teachers money can buy. Yes I know it might create a hardship for other county functions, but our kids are more important than a lot of other county programs that only waste money. For instance you see a group of people out working for the county. Typically one of them is doing the work and sometimes as many as four or five are standing around watching.
THE PEOPLE OF THIS COUNTRY HAD BETTER WAKE UP AND VOTE FOR ADEQUATE FUNDING FOR OUR SCHOOLS OR THEY MAY WAKE UP ONE DAY AND FIND THAT WE HAVE A BUNCH OF KIDS WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO ANYTHING. THEN WE WILL SEE HOW MUCH IT WILL COST TO SUPPORT THESE PEOPLE WHO DO NOT HAVE SKILLS NECESSARY TO DO ANY KIND OF JOB.(LIKE WELFARE, AND ALL OF THE OTHER GIVE-AWAY PROGRAMS IN EFFECT NOW). THESE PROGRAMS WILL COST TAX PAYERS A WHOLE LOT MORE IN THE LONG RUN THAN IT WILL COST TO EDUCATE OUR KIDS, NOW, FOR THE FUTURE.
Lao Tzu once said "If you give a man a fish you feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime." This saying is as applicable today as it was in the 4th century when it was quoted.
Thanks
Good Rant Bill, I agree with your premise. The problem is that we spend more than any nation per student and do not ge the best results. I don't think the answer is simply throwing money at it (for one, it's proven that administrators snap it up and it doesn't get passed on to incentivize the best individuals into teaching). There are plenty of laboratories that we can look to and see what we need to do to realize and effectively reform the system.
http://mat.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-w...
Bill

Troutville, VA

#5 Sep 23, 2012
Hey Dude
I agree with you that spending more is not the way but when I hear that the school budget is being cut to provide more monies to be wasted by the government on things that are not needed it gets me to thinking, more money could be used to educate our kids if there was some way to make sure the monies went for education instead of bonuses for teachers who promote kids when they are not ready (I asked my childs teachers in grade 1 thru 5 to hold her back so that she could catch up but I was told, quote "we cannot hold her back because of the 'No Child Left Behind Law'". When I had her tested for Private School she was 3 years behind in 3 subjects, 2 years behind in 2 subjects and 1 year behind in one subject. I later heard that the real reason for not holding her back was that the teachers got a bonus for each child they promoted.
My personnal opinion is that all public schools should be closed down and the school system put into the hands of private enterprize. It, I believe, would cost less and give a better education to our children if the monies we now pay in taxes for the public school system would be put into some sort of an untouchable account which couldn't be touched by the government entities for any reason other than being used to pay for the private enterprize schools.
I happen to know a lot of people who are sending their kids to private schools or home schooling them because they are not getting the education they want their kids to have, and yet they are still paying taxes for the school system but are not allowed to use any of the school facilities or other features available to public school students. For instance my child cannot take drivers education at a public school because she doesn't go to public school, even though I pay taxes for those facilities.
I know that there will be a lot of people out there that believe that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and just kind of bury their heads in the sand and hope the problem will go away, but the problem isn't going to go away, it is just going to keep compounding itself until there will be "no Fix".
Enough for now
Thanks
Dad with a Smart Kid

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Sep 26, 2012
Bill....you are only HALF right about the schools and the 'problem' with educating our children. Want a clue to the BIGGEST problem with your daughter - Look in the mirror !!!! There is not a single day that goes by that either I or my wife do not review what our child went over that day - have him explain it, and how to apply what he's learned. No Nickelodeon, No Playstation, No nothing - until his day is discussed, homework completed, and additional reading completed. That's MY most important job. Should be YOURS. Don't blame the overworked teachers or administrators for failure to meet YOUR responsibilities. BTW - my 5th grader currently reads at an 8th grade level. I'm proud of him and all the Educators at Moss-Nuckols Elementary School - where he attends.
Bill

Troutville, VA

#8 Sep 26, 2012
Dad with a Smart Kid
I will not go into all the problems my child has had. But let me say Congratulations if your child is getting the education you want him to have. I look in the mirror every day and I like what I see. I reviewed all of her work, when she was going to public schools, private school and now that she is home schooled.
I think that before you make comments like you did, you should ask yourself this, Am I in this childs shoes?". You are not the only one who meets their responsibilities in regard to their child's education, I met all of my responsibilities in regard to her education. It's great to have a child who is very intelligent, but all kids are not built that way. I also know that it's a fact that the teachers would rather work with a child that is "intelligent" than one they have to spend time explaining things to. If you should visit your childs class and monitor the activities that take place in the classroom, I think you would be very suprised at what occurs between a teacher and the children who have a difficult time in learning. It great that your child is as gifted as he is and that you and your wife take the time to help him.
I will make one more comment before I close and that is: The teacher had, on several occasions had my child and her desk put in the hallway of the school because she was having difficulty with her lessons (this was investigated by the school board and found to be true - I have a letter from the school board to prove it) and this was in the 4th grade.
Question: What effect do you think this kind of attitude , on the part of a teacher would have on your son, intelligent or not?

Think before you comment, the next time

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Theories for 2011 Louisa Earthquake Dec 12 Tom 1
43 Waiter/Waitress Jobs in Fredericksburg: Oliv... Dec 8 Curious2013 2
Celebrate Virginia South / Seasons At Celebrate... Dec 8 Curious2013 1
Stilhaus Kitchens Reviews Dec 4 PITALOKA 1
Review: Premier Home Brokers Inc Nov '14 asmith22401 1
Sexy Nov '14 Hottie01 1
Review: DND Jewelers Oct '14 georgie naylor 1
Louisa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web