Lawrence County High School

Posted in the Louisa Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
peace love and happiness

United States

#1 Jan 17, 2010
well well 12th from the bottom of the list in the whole state of Ky, wow that is really great, so why not start cheating again on the test like they did at the lower elementary.
kristian ziliox

Salyersville, KY

#2 Jan 26, 2010
go bulldogs!
soon be over

Fort Gay, WV

#3 Jan 26, 2010
LCHS is going to be completely done over by the state. I can't wait to see it happen.
good

New Matamoras, OH

#4 Jan 27, 2010
Let's just hope they make all their adjustments before mine get there, and get all the kinks worked ut of it.
tammy hall

Anderson, SC

#5 Jan 29, 2010
what ever
parent

Paintsville, KY

#6 Jan 29, 2010
My kid started this year and her grade point average is 3.8 to 4.0 that should help their scores
AnotherParent

Paintsville, KY

#7 Jan 29, 2010
parent wrote:
My kid started this year and her grade point average is 3.8 to 4.0 that should help their scores
My children made decent grades like that too. After graduation, they each went off to different colleges, and each one had to drop out. They weren't anywhere near prepared for college, and the College advisers told us so, when we met with them. They all know that kids coming from here, are gonna have a hard time in college, and they recommend remedial classes right off the bat. My kids are intelligent, and smart, too. I was paying for the education they were supposed to have gotten here, at LCHS. Sad! I hope the state does take it all over. Maybe your kids will get a real education.
Ladybug13

Salyersville, KY

#8 Jan 30, 2010
Has the school gone down?
KYgal

Anderson, SC

#9 Jan 30, 2010
This really concerns me. My child makes excellent grades and seems to do well in school. However, he rarely has any homework and he has not done well on the ACT/SATs. I keep telling myself that he is making good grades but then I worry about what will happen when he graduates and goes on to school. I would send him to another school but there is not one close enough. He told me the state was at the school on Friday but he didn't know why. Perhaps things will change with the new principal if he gets a chance to change things.
hope state comes in too

United States

#10 Jan 30, 2010
AnotherParent wrote:
<quoted text>
My children made decent grades like that too. After graduation, they each went off to different colleges, and each one had to drop out. They weren't anywhere near prepared for college, and the College advisers told us so, when we met with them. They all know that kids coming from here, are gonna have a hard time in college, and they recommend remedial classes right off the bat. My kids are intelligent, and smart, too. I was paying for the education they were supposed to have gotten here, at LCHS. Sad! I hope the state does take it all over. Maybe your kids will get a real education.
I hope the state comes in too, this way some parents who just cry about how bad the education and teachers are will realize that it is also at HOME where things are being neglected. When the state comes in and the test scores aren't increased, what will be the excuse then? Who will you all blame then? The Commonwealth of Kentucky? How about the president? Because we sure as Hell know it isn't the parents or students fault. Right?

I know a teacher at LCHS who works his butt off. He gets there before 7 AM and stays until 5 or 6.
lchs student

New Matamoras, OH

#11 Jan 30, 2010
I went to LCHS personally, I loved the school, there were teachers there when i went that totally didnt care so you didn't care either. But things have changed a little, I know they have gotten rid of some of the teachers that I had that were the *bad ones* But I am still in college and doing well! Im not going to lie, at first I had to take refresher classes, I had to back up and take some classes because i wasn't prepared properly, but I loved my high school thats for sure and i wouldnt trade it for any other!!!
AnotherParent

Paintsville, KY

#12 Jan 30, 2010
hope state comes in too wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope the state comes in too, this way some parents who just cry about how bad the education and teachers are will realize that it is also at HOME where things are being neglected. When the state comes in and the test scores aren't increased, what will be the excuse then? Who will you all blame then? The Commonwealth of Kentucky? How about the president? Because we sure as Hell know it isn't the parents or students fault. Right?
I know a teacher at LCHS who works his butt off. He gets there before 7 AM and stays until 5 or 6.
Look, Jerk...I DID help my children with their homework! My kids came home every night loaded with homework, and we worked on it from the time they finished their dinner, til past their bedtime. I have you know, I am NOT an unintelligent, nor uneducated. You may know A TEACHER, or maybe even two...but, the fact still remains that colleges KNOW our kids are not coming to them prepared for their classes! My kids all made A-B+ grades, they aren't stupid. They were not educated correctly. BTW: one can go in early and stay even past midnight, BUT, it still won't make them a "good" teacher.
To Parent

United States

#13 Jan 30, 2010
AnotherParent wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, Jerk...I DID help my children with their homework! My kids came home every night loaded with homework, and we worked on it from the time they finished their dinner, til past their bedtime. I have you know, I am NOT an unintelligent, nor uneducated. You may know A TEACHER, or maybe even two...but, the fact still remains that colleges KNOW our kids are not coming to them prepared for their classes! My kids all made A-B+ grades, they aren't stupid. They were not educated correctly. BTW: one can go in early and stay even past midnight, BUT, it still won't make them a "good" teacher.
I hope you didn't teach them respect, because it seems as if you have none (*noting the "jerk" comment). Well from what I've been told by teacher at LCHS and other schools that parents KNOW are good teachers, the students aren't exactly doing what is expected either. In fact, many have had their parents call the school complaining about too much homework and too much work in school.

And by the way, the guy I know spends his time working to better the education and prepare children like yours for college. Too bad the state of KY won't allow any teacher to do this because they are too focused on teaching to the test. I am also a college graduate from a high school locally. I didn't believe they prepared me for college either, until I realized that it was because I was lazy. Once I motivated myself, I made Dean's List my Sophomore-Senior years in college and a 3.75 in Graduate College.
parent

Paintsville, KY

#14 Jan 31, 2010
They do nothing they play on i pods all day they might do a worksheet. They need to be teaching the kids.
a Teacher

United States

#15 Jan 31, 2010
parent wrote:
They do nothing they play on i pods all day they might do a worksheet. They need to be teaching the kids.
Give names of those doing that. If you say that's what is happening, please enlighten us on which teachers it is that are not educating your children. That isn't how I run my classroom. Giving blank statements like you are doing will not help. If you want true change, give evidence and support your claims.

I can easily say "all people in my area do is cheat the welfare system". Does that mean everyone? If I want to change the welfare system, which I definitely do, then I will give names of those cheating it, as I have done before by sending in photos and letters to document my claims of those who are capable of working and are working under the table but are still "on the draw".
parent

Paintsville, KY

#16 Jan 31, 2010
its not just one teacher letting the kids play on ipod, computers, etc. it's multiple teachers. and how did we get on the subject of welfare?
someone

Paintsville, KY

#17 Jan 31, 2010
AnotherParent wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100%. The same thing happened with me. After I graduated, I went straight to college; back into those remedial classes. I graduated high school with a 3.5 average.
To Parent

United States

#18 Jan 31, 2010
parent wrote:
its not just one teacher letting the kids play on ipod, computers, etc. it's multiple teachers. and how did we get on the subject of welfare?
Post the names on here. If you have first hand knowledge of this, please inform and "out" these individuals so that there can be something done about it. I happen to think that your information is just a flame against the school. You have no direct knowledge and that is why you will not provide anyone with names.

And for those saying that they weren't prepared for college, neither was I. When I graduated from my high school (it wasn't LCHS) I didn't feel that I was ready. I had to take remedial math classes. I found out that MOST students in EKY had to. But you know what, I ended up making Dean's List and gaining my degree and my masters degree as well. I don't blame my old high school. They did the best they could. I was not wanting a good education when I was in high school. Sounds a lot like the majority of students everywhere these days. They know they have parents at home that will believe everything they say..."Mom/Dad, we don't ever do anything in class"..."Yeah, I had my cell phone out but the teachers let me"..."That teacher gave me a bad grade because they don't like me".
ABSOLUTELY

Fort Gay, WV

#19 Feb 1, 2010
AnotherParent wrote:
<quoted text>
It's true, don't think just because your kids have good grades they are actually learning anything, they can put anything down on paper, remember LES test scores a few years ago! Law. co. is capable of anything, cheating, failing, lying, but NEVER succeeding!!!!!!!!!
Student

South Point, OH

#20 Feb 2, 2010
I love how everyone is just blaming the teachers.
Its also the students that choose not to learn what the teachers are teaching us.
There are a lot of good teachers at LC that actually teach and then there are some out there that could care less. But I cant honestly say that all my teachers this year do care and are teaching.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who owes food city? 9 hr Fyi 7
billie Spaulding 22 hr justin_moore 1
Lol Fri Sorry Miss Jackson 2
Sam for sheriff? Fri Sorry Miss Jackson 5
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) Fri JustJoe 853
colton lewis Fri colton lewis 1
Hackney appraisal May 17 Ridgerunner 3

Louisa Jobs

Personal Finance

Louisa Mortgages