Dr. Burgess' House
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Cari

Pikeville, KY

#1 Oct 13, 2009
Today I Found some papers signed by Dr. F.E. Burgess. I know that he is the one who owned the old abandoned farm house on 23.But Does anyone know what his real first name was? I would like to google him and find some more out about him.
I Know

Clarksville, TN

#2 Oct 13, 2009
Francis. He wote poetry also. He was a very good "country doctor" in his time. He had some good cures for things the modern docs could not fix.
James

Winchester, KY

#3 Oct 13, 2009
He died a few years back. I am sure it would not be hard to find out.
FYI

Eddyville, KY

#4 Oct 13, 2009
Cari wrote:
Today I Found some papers signed by Dr. F.E. Burgess. I know that he is the one who owned the old abandoned farm house on 23.But Does anyone know what his real first name was? I would like to google him and find some more out about him.
His name was Dr. Francis Elam Burgess. Born 1914. Physician, surgeon, poet and songwriter. Check out the History of Lawrence County at the library. He led quite an interesting life. The author of the article was by Beulah Greene, but I wouldn't count on her helping you any.
like to know

Louisa, KY

#5 Oct 13, 2009
I seen that they are doing some dozer work there. What are they doing to Dr. Burgess house. They arnt knocking it down are they? I hope someone is going to restore it. Please let me know..
FYI

Eddyville, KY

#6 Oct 13, 2009
like to know wrote:
I seen that they are doing some dozer work there. What are they doing to Dr. Burgess house. They arnt knocking it down are they? I hope someone is going to restore it. Please let me know..
Surely they won't tear it down. I believe it is considered a historical home with KY. My question, is America trying to destroy all of our history?
FYI

United States

#7 Oct 13, 2009
The Lawrence Co. Library has a book of his poetry that has a brief auto-biography in the front. It is available to be checked out. Just tell them at the desk what you are looking for.
Dr. Burgess also served in WW2.
like to know

Louisa, KY

#8 Oct 13, 2009
FYI wrote:
<quoted text>
Surely they won't tear it down. I believe it is considered a historical home with KY. My question, is America trying to destroy all of our history?
I hope they restore it to its original state...If they tear it down that would be sad..
Info

Charleston, WV

#9 Oct 13, 2009
Back years ago in the early 1980's me and a friend of mine broke down around his house while they was building on rt 23. We knocked on his door he invited us in offered some drinks and let us use the phone. I remember seeing a shotgun in the corner by the door. He ask us to stay, while waiting on a tow truck. He kept us entertained while making up little limericks of rhymes. It was a very fun time being there for an hour or so with him telling us stories.
thoughts

Salyersville, KY

#10 Oct 13, 2009
i never had the pleasure of meeting him although I know people who had. he was very well liked and respected. i would hate to see his home destroyed.
Good Man

Salyersville, KY

#11 Oct 14, 2009
When I worked at Happy Mart years ago he would call every day and sing songs that he made up and we would take turns talking to him he was lonely and would need someone to talk to him and we would call and check on him and take him things good man
Cari

Pikeville, KY

#12 Oct 14, 2009
Thanks everyone so much for the help. And for those of you asking they are going to restore it. I talked to some family i have down that way and they said it was going to be completly restored.
nicole

New Matamoras, OH

#13 Oct 14, 2009
I've always loved that house...it seems to me if they were going to tear it down that they wouldn't have bothered cleaning up around it...I hope someone restores it...I've got that book of poetry, too...what a neat piece of history in our county...I think I'll cry if they tear it down...I've always imagined what it looked like in the 20's or 1800's, or what lives were led there...or a bed and breakfast to go in there...I hope they don't tear it down.
Shirley

Broken Arrow, OK

#14 Oct 15, 2009
I remember Doc, he was a good man. He lanced a pone that come up on my little sisters head and out came a bunch of pus and a tooth. Yes, a tooth.

We didn't have any idea how a tooth got in the top of her head for a long time until we remembered about the bar fight she got into in Fort Gay. Two women and their brother tried to jump Sis and she whooped the He=l out of them. One of the girls broke a whiskey bottle over her head and the other one tried to bite her, but Sis head butted her and knocked out her teeth. Yeah Ole Sis is a tough one... Those Fort Gay drunks got whooped and they still didn't get her lunch money for school
FAR FRM PERFECT

South Point, OH

#15 Oct 15, 2009
That is trully a funny story, Shirley. Was glad to hear such wonderful things about the Dr. I hope the new owners restore the ole house. :)
the new owner

Clarksville, TN

#16 Oct 15, 2009
Jim Booth is the new owner,and is going to put a cementary there and remolded the house.
FAR FRM PERFECT

South Point, OH

#17 Oct 15, 2009
the new owner wrote:
Jim Booth is the new owner,and is going to put a cementary there and remolded the house.
YEAH!
Hubie Lied

Broken Arrow, OK

#18 Oct 15, 2009
The house is going to be tore down. They are going to make it a coal yard. That is the closest place that the barges can be loaded. There will be extra lanes built for the coal trucks to pull off soon, they will be able to be backed up off the shoulder all the way to 645. That is the REAL PLAN
FAR FRM PERFECT

South Point, OH

#19 Oct 15, 2009
Hubie Lied wrote:
The house is going to be tore down. They are going to make it a coal yard. That is the closest place that the barges can be loaded. There will be extra lanes built for the coal trucks to pull off soon, they will be able to be backed up off the shoulder all the way to 645. That is the REAL PLAN
awww1 that is a shame? Could the house not be restored, or is it too far gone and the property was worth more? What abt the existing cemetery, what will they do w/ the graves? And why are the clearing around the home, if they only mean to tear it down? Usually, if you tear it down, you don't clean up around.
Funny

Clarksville, TN

#20 Oct 15, 2009
Uh, how would barges get up to this property. Didn't think about that one did ya!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for... 13 min Curious 6
Who will be the next sheriff? (Aug '17) 24 min Start Packing 166
Hogan for attorney general 5 hr Hogan ag 1
Young Men READ !! 7 hr Mommaj- 3
extra marital affairs. (Aug '16) 10 hr Wtf Was you think... 15
Manager 15 hr even funnier 11
Theif 19 hr Lexie 4

Louisa Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance