You can track someone's IP address!!!!

Posted in the Louisa Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SerialCoder

South Point, OH

#1 Apr 28, 2009
Honestly?!? You can track IP addresses? By saying that, you mean the ones from this site? More specifically the people who post on these forums? Ignorance must be the general theme on here. Are you magic? Are you a wizard? The sheer possibility that you would be able to pinpoint much more then the general location of someone's ISP (different then IP) is quite unlikely. For future reference for all you intarwebz weetodds. IF YOU CAN NOT HANDLE THE SIMPLE INTRICACIES OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE THEN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO TRACK SOMEONE'S IP ADDRESS AND ACTUALLY PINPOINT THAT PERSON'S IDENTITY. That task would prove to be much more daunting then checking your free server based mail client. Tracking an IP address past a proxy server would prove to be even harder. Even if you made it into a court room with the case of "someone said something mean about me on Topix" the resources needed to track an individuals identity would be much more then the small town of Louisa could handle. I doubt most people that take the time to post on here even know their own IP address.

Since: Apr 09

Salyersville, KY

#2 Apr 28, 2009
IP's are very easy to trace. Proxy server's do NOT help your static IP. It will always stay the same. Once you find the IP and the service provider you can usually do some digging and find the name and address or just call the service provider and they will be more than willing to help in most cases.
noway

United States

#3 Apr 28, 2009
not happening
yeah

South Point, OH

#4 Apr 28, 2009
Jwiley wrote:
IP's are very easy to trace. Proxy server's do NOT help your static IP. It will always stay the same. Once you find the IP and the service provider you can usually do some digging and find the name and address or just call the service provider and they will be more than willing to help in most cases.
Service providers will not help unless court ordered. Try it and you may be surprised to know how hard it is.
JustSaying

Park Ridge, NJ

#5 Apr 28, 2009
Most people have a public profile somewhere... Yahoo, Facebook or Myspace you'd come closer to getting a name etc... by cross referencing the IP address with their profiles than from a service provider.
SerialCoder

South Point, OH

#6 Apr 28, 2009
A static IP is configured onto a pc by an admin. A IP address is assigned automatically. Most people have what you call a Sticky Dynamic IP address. SDIP addresses do not change often but they still change. Usually when the main server used by thier ISP is re-booted. A proxy server does not help? Do you know what a proxy server is? How about an IP router? If you want someone to stop talking about you on this site then contact Topix.com and ask them to please remove the discussion as it directly states your name and it is being besmirched. In most cases Topix will gladly due so.
One who knows

Nitro, WV

#7 Apr 29, 2009
I tried this and guess what folks the servers say that they have to have a "COURT ORDER" to give names so happy tracking but you will not get far without a court order and good luck getting that, it is also impossible because guess what most of the posters does not live in the state that you may get a court order for LOST CAUSE.
Jason

Fort Gay, WV

#9 Jan 23, 2010
SerialCoder wrote:
A static IP is configured onto a pc by an admin. A IP address is assigned automatically. Most people have what you call a Sticky Dynamic IP address. SDIP addresses do not change often but they still change. Usually when the main server used by thier ISP is re-booted. A proxy server does not help? Do you know what a proxy server is? How about an IP router? If you want someone to stop talking about you on this site then contact Topix.com and ask them to please remove the discussion as it directly states your name and it is being besmirched. In most cases Topix will gladly due so.
You can track it. Be careful as to what you say or you can be sued.
Justin

Hurricane, WV

#10 Jan 23, 2010
Your ip address is monitored by your internet provider. Every web site , email or any thing pertaining to the registered internet account can be traced. Be careful as to what you post. The wrong thing said about someone could cause someone a law suit.
but what if

South Point, OH

#11 Jan 23, 2010
Jason wrote:
<quoted text>You can track it. Be careful as to what you say or you can be sued.
What if they are using wireless, no proof they hv internet or evenn a computer? what then? I"m on wireless, so I use library, Wendy's and on my hill 3 unsecures come up and I rove between them all depend on who has the best signal, or if the one I"m using gives me trouble...I"m assuming it comes frm nearby households...what if then? Can't track yo then, could they. Not that I say anything I wouldn't mind people knowing it was me...but what if some of these others that are so hateful, do the same? wireless? how can they track them, then? Can they?
James

Hurricane, WV

#12 Jan 23, 2010
but what if wrote:
<quoted text>What if they are using wireless, no proof they hv internet or evenn a computer? what then? I"m on wireless, so I use library, Wendy's and on my hill 3 unsecures come up and I rove between them all depend on who has the best signal, or if the one I"m using gives me trouble...I"m assuming it comes frm nearby households...what if then? Can't track yo then, could they. Not that I say anything I wouldn't mind people knowing it was me...but what if some of these others that are so hateful, do the same? wireless? how can they track them, then? Can they?
It all comes down to the internet address. It goes by the mac address of the modem. It does not matter if it is unsecured, your neighbors or the library. All activity stems from the account of the registered owner. If you are at a public place such as a hotel or the library you accept the terms of the account and it still stems from the address. Also the router assigns the ip address to each computer and the name of that computer is on the network. I researched this through google. So be careful and dont download and watch what you say.
Jason

Fort Gay, WV

#13 Jan 23, 2010
James wrote:
<quoted text>It all comes down to the internet address. It goes by the mac address of the modem. It does not matter if it is unsecured, your neighbors or the library. All activity stems from the account of the registered owner. If you are at a public place such as a hotel or the library you accept the terms of the account and it still stems from the address. Also the router assigns the ip address to each computer and the name of that computer is on the network. I researched this through google. So be careful and dont download and watch what you say.
You are correct on all fronts. It doesnt matter where you log in either secure or not it is as you say and I googled this as well.
James

Hurricane, WV

#14 Jan 23, 2010
Jason wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct on all fronts. It doesnt matter where you log in either secure or not it is as you say and I googled this as well.
Jason is right, just watch what you say.
To James

United States

#15 Jan 23, 2010
James wrote:
<quoted text>Jason is right, just watch what you say.
Okay James lets move on to something else. Like cheating in the area school system. Don't worry if you tell the truth it may be good for it to come out in a lawsuit.
James

Fort Gay, WV

#16 Jan 23, 2010
To James wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay James lets move on to something else. Like cheating in the area school system. Don't worry if you tell the truth it may be good for it to come out in a lawsuit.
OK we can move on
what about

South Point, OH

#17 Jan 23, 2010
Ok, understand, but what if computer was a gift, and I"m just using wireles...I never say anything bad or ashamed of...but how would they track you, when they don't even know you own a computer, and your logged into someone else as the library, Wendy's, or your neighbors, still don't see...I don't even hv cable...or land line phone...so how could they?
Billy

Fort Gay, WV

#18 Jan 23, 2010
Read the limewire posts.
but what Im asking

South Point, OH

#19 Jan 23, 2010
Billy wrote:
Read the limewire posts.
I did, but don't understand the diff between a "tool" and downloading? I swear, all we did, was needed music for a digital scrap book we were doing at Christmas, the librarian was assist us...and we used limewire for it...and now, it's on the compuer, the stuff comes up in ABC order, she picks what songs she wants to listen to, and that is it...not saving it to anything...if it's illegal, how is it out there for free, w/o it ever asking for a pass word, or yr name or address or credit card or a bill? I don't get it?
InappropriatePos ts

Clarksville, TN

#21 Jan 28, 2010
Jason wrote:
<quoted text>You can track it. Be careful as to what you say or you can be sued.
Your IP address can be traced in addition to:

This topic is in violation of the Topix Terms of Service Agreement.
The following TOS items have been violated because this post:
(a) is invasive of another's privacy
(r) is being used to stalk or harass
This topic can be deleted by emailing "info@topix.com" with "Violation of TOS" in the subject, put the following URL in the body of the email:
" http://www.topix.com/forum/city/

The topix service could be significantly enhanced by requiring user registration in order to submit comments. Repeat offenders of the TOS could have their accounts suspended and IP addressed blocked. Enforcing registration would also provide better compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act.

Topix is becoming a slum, and it will only get worse. The solutions presented above are simple and effective, so a lot of this is at the fault of the Topix administration. However, we all need to exhibit a little more personal responsibility.
lesly

Astoria, NY

#22 Feb 6, 2010
JustSaying wrote:
Most people have a public profile somewhere... Yahoo, Facebook or Myspace you'd come closer to getting a name etc... by cross referencing the IP address with their profiles than from a service provider.
but how can you get someones ip through facebook??
me and my friend in an attempt to let her know her boyfriend was cheating, made a fake facebook account and sent her the incriminating information. well now shes going absolutely nuts and has a friend whos really good with computers ready to check out the facebook and get the ip address. this will surely cause problems.. can she find the ip address?????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where's Vanessa Dillon ???? Sun Just curious 1
is law co, ky cps corrupt Sat See see 85
Missing dog, Reward!!! Sat ACE Ventura 2
Who will be the next sheriff? (Aug '17) Sat Susan 227
Kevin Scaggs Fri Country 1
Jackson's BYOB get together Fri Burt Reynolds 4
Autozone Fri Adrian Monk 2

Louisa Jobs

Personal Finance

Louisa Mortgages