First Prev
of 2
Next Last
worried mother

Sitka, KY

#1 Sep 11, 2012
Is it just me or have your kids been coming home starving this year. This is the first year my kids have decided they want their lunch packed. We go to Fallsburg K-8 and the kids here ALL say that since the lunch menu has changed to "Healthy" food, you just can't stand it.. Im all for eating healthy.. I cook healthy food here at my house, but sweet potato tots just sounds nasty.. Personally I would rather have my kids eating food that is a little unhealthy than not eating at all. My youngest come home the other day and I asked how was school.."GOOD Mommy, I had Ketchup and Milk" WHAT!! It was true.. She said nothing else taste good. So I was just wondering if it was just my kids..
I have one also

Salyersville, KY

#2 Sep 11, 2012
No..your kids are not the only ones..I have a child that goes to Fallsburg and he is starved to death when he gets home...I try to get him to eat lunch at school but he says they have nothing good..with all the school taxes and money us parents have to spend on school for them..they should have a decent lunch to eat!!!
Wondering

Hurricane, WV

#3 Sep 11, 2012
You will have to do what I did. Pack them a lunch. There is no way my child will eat what his school provides. At least this way, I know he eats and eats good. It's not that expensive to make a sandwich and I don't buy the pre-packaged chips and things. I buy (for example) chips, cheez-its, sometimes cookies in the full size package and put them in individual baggies or containers. I always include fruit pouches and water and throw in an apple, some grapes or whole strawberries. Most of the time, I throw in a little extra so he can share with a friend. I feel sorry for the kids who have to eat that stuff, I've seen it and I wouldn't want to eat it.
sayitaintso

Louisa, KY

#4 Sep 11, 2012
Parents should be appaled at whats being served this health concious political tool is starving our children. Its not healthy if its going in the trash
I have one also

Salyersville, KY

#5 Sep 13, 2012
We shouldn't have to pack lunch for our children..we pay taxes and alot of them!! I went to Open House a few weeks ago and ate the spagetti dinner afterwards..it was the nasty thing I had every ate...my dog eats better than that!! I'm sure more food goes in the trash cans than in those childrens mouth!!!!
happy meal

Paintsville, KY

#6 Sep 13, 2012
Would a bag of Cheetos, jelly roll, and 2 liter of soda make them feel more like eating?
Please

Rush, KY

#7 Sep 16, 2012
Happy meal you are hilarious. People around here think that our kids should eat little debbie cakes and junk food. I am glad they are serving our kids healthy food. Also, this is out of our cook's hands. This is statewide. ACtually, nationwide.
iwannatwinkie

Louisa, KY

#8 Sep 17, 2012
Its not healthy if theyre nor eating it.....duh. we cant police what children eat. Guarantee that when they get home they rip open a few of those debbie cakes, chug a 24 oz, and fart like a mule and beg for more....all while sitting in front of the tv wirh a game controler in hand. Discipline begins at home, and if parents dont want to do their part then dont expect someone else to do it. Its a losing battle....and its all about personal responsibilty.
Please

Louisa, KY

#9 Sep 17, 2012
iwannatwinkie, you make good points but thank God again that they are serving healthy food to our kids. If it is just one meal a day they are getting healthy, then that is all that matters. Go ahead abuse your kids by feeding them all that junk. When they are 25 and have heart and sugar issues, remember it wasn't the school's fault.
mine too

Winchester, KY

#10 Sep 17, 2012
my child complains everyday about the food, and he goes to Louisa East, he says it all nasty! and hardly eat anything at the school. what do we do as parents? pack the lunch everyday, since the school dont feed anything good? my child is a pickie eater and lots of things he dont eat, so will not eat anything all day, and comes home starved.
something must change, its our tax money that is paying for it anyways! find something the kids will eat, and make it better.
Resident

Winchester, KY

#11 Sep 18, 2012
The school lunches are the same in WV schools also. My sisters children will no longer eat in the caft. It's all about the new federal regs. No salt, sugar, etc. School lunches were not the reason our children are out of shape. It's the only decent meal many get and now they can't enjoy them. One morning they had one half a cold bagel with an apple. No jelly, butter or anything.
giveme abreak

Louisa, KY

#12 Sep 19, 2012
I agree with sayitaintso,,,,,,its not healthy if its going in the trash. Nothing like a hard piece of whole wheat toast (plain) and a caryon of skim milk. Mmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Try starting your day with that and then see how productive you ate.
Okie

Pikeville, KY

#13 Sep 19, 2012
Resident wrote:
The school lunches are the same in WV schools also. My sisters children will no longer eat in the caft. It's all about the new federal regs. No salt, sugar, etc. School lunches were not the reason our children are out of shape. It's the only decent meal many get and now they can't enjoy them. One morning they had one half a cold bagel with an apple. No jelly, butter or anything.
Well if they aren't going to eat the food then the people shouldn't be paying the school tax for food, the parents pick up their kids then we shouldn't be paying for cooks,nor bus drivers. Do u you all know what I'm saying? to much waste..our kids are as they say "no kid left behind" waste,waste,!!
Shame

Louisa, KY

#14 Sep 19, 2012
For some of the children it is the only meal they get even after they get home.I would be ashamed for starving CHILDREN!Like that one little meal of Pizza or Mac n Cheese or a Hot Dog would really mess there lives up.Bet the Teachers or Principals dont eat that trash.
Bravo

Paintsville, KY

#15 Sep 19, 2012
My friends in the health care profession have told me they are now seeing people in their 20's having angioplasty/bypass procedures for clogged arteries/hearts. I applaud the action our schools are taking. If their parents are not willing to do something about the childhood obesity epidemic, our schools will.
well

Winchester, KY

#16 Sep 19, 2012
Yes we have childhood obesity but some kids that are underprivilged have no other choice than to eat what's given at school. I just sometimes wonder if that's enough. I see very little on their trays. Bigger students need more too. When we were in school we could have a snack. They would bring around milk and a graham cracker or low fat snack of some sort. It's a shame how much we complain but go to Kings Daughters heart and vascular unit. NO SALT whatsoever. Man you talk about choking it down. A little salt never hurt ole timers. And I said a little!
Mom

Richmond, KY

#17 Sep 19, 2012
My son usually buys extra because he says the portions are just not enough and no, he is not overweight or a big eater.
jwbxona

Bowie, MD

#18 Sep 19, 2012
Did you know that President Obama put through, to help the working ppl, free breakfast and free lunches for every child? Yes, what money families could save if only the board would have passed this through for our students. This could have gone down LAST YEAR, but no it was not accepted. In addition, the price of meals went up for those of us who pay, so we pay more for less. I feel sorry for the normal sized children and the thin children, too. They don't even have weight issues and they have to grow skinnier because of these tasteless, low calorie meals. I believe in eating healthy but not when children go hungry and school is where they get their best meal.....or used to, anyway.
CindyCookNaziNew Assist

Evansdale, IA

#19 Sep 23, 2012
So maybe that is really why the portions are down. Assistants cost money you know? Somebody has to pay. Why not the children? Maybe if they got the other lady back then the children would get more food and quit starving. You know what they say if you can't handle the heat in the kitchen get an assistant.
Silly

Staffordsville, KY

#20 Sep 23, 2012
I would rather my child eat tater tots,Mac in cheese,pizza and a piece of cake or cookie than to come home starving from not eating anything at school!!! They can have diff things so kids can choose and have apples and vegs but some kids won't eat it......they need something to eat even if its junk!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Louisa Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
what going on ? 1 hr Burettamade 1
wet 2 hr Tommy 51
Must Go Wet 4 hr Confused 3
Ms Dilow 7 hr LCHS student 3
lchs boys basketball 7 hr Ahaha 7
Taushana Church (think Chaffin now) (Oct '09) 8 hr finally 41
Billy Sunday Signs 8 hr Frank 26
Louisa Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web