City settles with dead APD officer's ...

City settles with dead APD officer's wife's estate

There are 11 comments on the KOB-TV story from Feb 24, 2011, titled City settles with dead APD officer's wife's estate. In it, KOB-TV reports that:

The City of Albuquerque has reached a settlement with the family of a woman who filed suit after they say Albuquerque Police officers tampered with crime scene evidence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB-TV.

APDdungcollectio n

Santa Fe, NM

#1 Feb 24, 2011
TAMPERING WITH EVIDENCE. NO, the APD would never, never do that. They are good upright public servants. Tampering with evidence would be "criminal".

Never, ever trust a cop. Never talk to one unless you have an attorney present. Too many people get themselves in trouble by thinking the cop will "understand" or will overlook the situation if the cooperate. WRONG, don't talk to these guys. Simply tell them you have nothing to say or "you don't remember".
Passive Observer

AOL

#2 Feb 25, 2011
This is about much more than just Albuquerque P.D. officer murdering his wife and trying to make it look like suicide. The lawsuit reveals the criminal behavior of Officer Levi M. Chavez, of 3 of his fellow-officer friends who are unnamed, and of 3 of his supervisors, LT Shawn O'Connell, SGT Ron Olivas, and SGT James Silver. All 7 of them apparently took part in a conspiracy to "steal" Levi M. Chavez's truck, so that he could collect insurance money and get rid of it at top dollar. Levi Chavez apparently forced his wife to report the fraudulent "theft". Officer Levi Chavez took out an insurance policy on his wife the month before she was murdered worth $100,000. On the week before she was murdered, he added "suicide" as a cause of death which would also pay out to Levi Chavez after her death. The 7 staged a crime scene and apparently destroyed evidence, including Tera Andrea Chavez's pages in her diary that documented the fraud committed by all 7 in the truck theft. About 1 week after the murder of Tera Andrea Chavez, Officer Levi M. Chavez II bought himself a brand-new Cadillac! This case illustrates what a corrupt bunch of people we have at APD. It's not only new, inexperience officers committing crimes, it's their veteran SUPERVISORS that are also engaged in criminal activity. The US Department of Justice's FBI needs to jump in this case with both feet and probe Albuquerque P.
D. inside out!
ABQmouth

Santa Fe, NM

#3 Feb 25, 2011
Passive Observer,

Thanks for the details. I do remember reading about all this in the Albuquerque Journal awhile back but its nice to see some of the details presented so we are better informed.

One only has to look at the leadership of APD to understand why things like this happen. As we used to say in the army, "it all starts at the top". I just read today that the commander of the 173rd Airborne brigade was relieved of command. Most civilians would be shocked at how little it takes to relieve a commander. Anything, and I mean anything that reflects negatively on the command will result in removal. Unfortunately this concept is lost on police departments across America.

I note too that the blog, Eye on Albuquerque, has published a new story alleging cover up involving Darren White and the city district attorney.
http://eyeonalbuquerque.blogspot.com/
Passive Observer

AOL

#4 Feb 25, 2011
ABQmouth,
And thank YOU for the info on 173rd Airborne. It's sad. That was the one brigade which took the most
causalties during the VietNam war. I got to meet one of its survivors, a SGT by the name of Hoskins,
who I hope was awarded a disability pension for PTSD. Poor guy. Thanks also for the link to eyeonalbuquerque.blogspot.com/
Passive Observer

AOL

#5 Feb 25, 2011
Whoops! Casualties!
ABQmouth

Santa Fe, NM

#6 Feb 25, 2011
Passive Observer wrote:
ABQmouth,
And thank YOU for the info on 173rd Airborne. It's sad. That was the one brigade which took the most
causalties during the VietNam war. I got to meet one of its survivors, a SGT by the name of Hoskins,
who I hope was awarded a disability pension for PTSD. Poor guy. Thanks also for the link to eyeonalbuquerque.blogspot.com/
During the Vietnam drawdown the 173rd was disbanded but was revitalized in 2000 in Vicenza, Italy. The army had maintained an airborne battalion in Vicenza for years. But as the army transformed from a "heavy" force to a "light" one in the 1990s, the battalion was enhanced with additional units and a brigade headquarters setup, known as the SETAF Airborne Brigade. I was part of this unit. We knew a reflagging to the 173rd would eventually follow although it took longer than most thought.
Darren

United States

#7 Feb 27, 2011
APD has no business at any crime scene outside their jurisdiction period. And if what passive observer is saying is true, there are quite a few APD cops who need to spend the rest of their lives in prison.
ABQmouth Thank You for Your service.
davy

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Feb 27, 2011
230k to cover up for dirty cops.
ABQmouth

Santa Fe, NM

#9 Feb 27, 2011
Did some research on the Eye on Albuquerque about this case and found a couple of links which I provided below.

I noticed some additional tidbits that haven't been mentioned. One, a significant quantity of marijuana was found during the search of Levi Chavez's home. Also it seems Levi was a lateral transfer from the Los Lunas police department to APD thus he had connections to the local PD in addition to APD.

There is so much that smells bad about this case. I guess the plan is to wait until the guy retires then file charges. Now ask yourself, would this case be handled differently if no cops were involved?

http://eyeonalbuquerque.blogspot.com/2007/11/...

http://eyeonalbuquerque.blogspot.com/2007/10/...

http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.com/2009/08...

http://www.policeone.com/investigations/artic...
Justice For Tera

United States

#10 Mar 12, 2011
what a sad sad story. no amount of money will ever bring tera back. she was a young beautiful vibrant lady and mother. at least there is some mustic for tera. RIP TERA....now it's Levi's turn for justice Prison don't drop the soap u dope!!
Darren

United States

#11 Mar 12, 2011
He needs to be buttraped by a large inmate for the rest of his life. She really was a "beautiful vibrant lady" It's a shame. This loser needs to pay.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Lunas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two arrested after officer-involved shooting Fr... Sun The truth 1
News New Mexico clinics close up, disappear with pat... Jun 5 Good Luck 18
News Child molester sentenced 33 years later (Dec '11) Apr '16 Hmmm 2
Paul Marez Apr '16 Hmmm 1
bfpd Apr '16 Enough 911 1
trafic in main st Apr '16 Enough 2
News Residents voice concern over new probation, par... Apr '16 jcperea 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Lunas Mortgages