Police union sues Albuquerque mayor (3:27 p.m.)

The Albuquerque police union is suing the mayor over a policy change for take-home patrol cars. Read more
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#21 Jan 5, 2011
tired wrote:
APD is our biggest gang in Abq. I don't think any of them should have a take home car. Go to any store, gym, etc and you'll see them doing they're personal business. As for Berry giving himself a raise. You're right he can't, but he sure can push for one. Did he get it? Yup sure did. Is that a lie corndogz? Why wasn't that all over the news? Hmmm I wonder. Wake up!!
Ok, please provide a source where I can read this.

There is some manner of commission looking at that as well as Councilors salaries, however they are not making any recommendations until the end of January. According to the city website, the Mayor currently makes $109,400(doing the math).

http://www.cabq.gov/council/frequently-asked-...

- What is the salary of each City Councilor?
According to the City Charter, City Councilors receive annual salaries equal to one-tenth of the annual salary received by the Mayor. The Council President shall receive double the annual salary received by other Councilors. Currently, this amount is about $10,940.00 for City Councilors and $21,881.00 for the Council President.
----------
On top of that, when the Mayor implemented the pay decrease for all city employees, he also cut his and the councils salaries by 5%. HOWEVER, not much in the world of politics surprises me any more so... I've sent him an email asking, lets see if he responds or not.

Now, back ON topic, one of the reasons for allowing TH units within Abq is the visual presence as a deterrent to crime. Such visibility includes their use to make runs to like HD, Lowes, groceries etc etc etc. I don't know that there are any stats to proves one way or the other, however I doubt many criminals would burglarize a business if there were an APD unit parked nearby.
Passive Observer

AOL

#22 Jan 6, 2011
Annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont police officers pay taxes too??? Why do you keep saying taxpayer expense if police officers also pay taxes?? The new City Manager gets a $6000 vehicle expense account and are you complaining?? Now if the police officers pay was tax exempt then I could see your point, but it isnt. They pay taxes just like you and I do so stop using the excuse that it is at the taxpayers expense.
It's not good to point the finger and say that others get take-home cars too. Others should also have their take-home cars taken away from them. We are constantly told that New Mexico is one of the poorest states in the Union, and we consistently rank at the bottom of every undesirable list there is. Government employees here, though, are paid much better than the average person in the private sectors and have unbelievably generous benefits. One might could tolerate this if everyone had an equal shot at government jobs, but this too is in a patronage selection system that favors the connected, the political supporter and the
relative. It stinks. I say, take away the take-home cars from EVERYONE. They don't deter crime; they are abused; and when even richer states don't give that as a benefit, why should one of the poorest states?
Passive Observer

AOL

#23 Jan 6, 2011
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, please provide a source where I can read this.
There is some manner of commission looking at that as well as Councilors salaries, however they are not making any recommendations until the end of January. According to the city website, the Mayor currently makes $109,400(doing the math).
http://www.cabq.gov/council/frequently-asked-...
- What is the salary of each City Councilor?
According to the City Charter, City Councilors receive annual salaries equal to one-tenth of the annual salary received by the Mayor. The Council President shall receive double the annual salary received by other Councilors. Currently, this amount is about $10,940.00 for City Councilors and $21,881.00 for the Council President.
----------
On top of that, when the Mayor implemented the pay decrease for all city employees, he also cut his and the councils salaries by 5%. HOWEVER, not much in the world of politics surprises me any more so... I've sent him an email asking, lets see if he responds or not.
Now, back ON topic, one of the reasons for allowing TH units within Abq is the visual presence as a deterrent to crime. Such visibility includes their use to make runs to like HD, Lowes, groceries etc etc etc. I don't know that there are any stats to proves one way or the other, however I doubt many criminals would burglarize a business if there were an APD unit parked nearby.
Come on now! Take-home cars don't deter crimes. If anything, they give neighbors a false sense of security. We've had police officers right here in Albuquerque whose cars have been broken into; whose pickup trucks were stolen from right next to their patrol cars; and in one case, of a criminal who even broke into the police officers home and defecated on the officer's floor. That turns out to have been a really stupid move as wouldn't you know it? the DNA lab was mobilized and the DNA from the crap was analyzed in RECORD time and the offense immediately linked to an offender whose DNA was on file. Take-home cars don't deter crimes- that's a myth and a joke. If anything, they provide criminals with access to high quality rifles, shotguns, pistols, and at times, radios, uniforms and badges- all for free!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#24 Jan 6, 2011
Passive Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on now! Take-home cars don't deter crimes. If anything, they give neighbors a false sense of security. We've had police officers right here in Albuquerque whose cars have been broken into; whose pickup trucks were stolen from right next to their patrol cars; and in one case, of a criminal who even broke into the police officers home and defecated on the officer's floor. That turns out to have been a really stupid move as wouldn't you know it? the DNA lab was mobilized and the DNA from the crap was analyzed in RECORD time and the offense immediately linked to an offender whose DNA was on file. Take-home cars don't deter crimes- that's a myth and a joke. If anything, they provide criminals with access to high quality rifles, shotguns, pistols, and at times, radios, uniforms and badges- all for free!
Note that I said
I don't know that there are any stats to prove one way or the other, however I doubt many criminals would burglarize a business if there were an APD unit parked nearby.
There are always exceptions but overall I think it probably helps. If its deemed necessary to eliminate all APD-TH vehicles, soBit!
Taxpayer

Albuquerque, NM

#25 Jan 6, 2011
Annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont police officers pay taxes too??? Why do you keep saying taxpayer expense if police officers also pay taxes?? The new City Manager gets a $6000 vehicle expense account and are you complaining?? Now if the police officers pay was tax exempt then I could see your point, but it isnt. They pay taxes just like you and I do so stop using the excuse that it is at the taxpayers expense.
Thank You. I was thinking the same thing.
Passive Observer

AOL

#26 Jan 6, 2011
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Note that I said <quoted text>
There are always exceptions but overall I think it probably helps. If its deemed necessary to eliminate all APD-TH vehicles, soBit!
Point taken! I agree. If economics makes it necessary to take away ALL of the take-home cars, including those of ALL municipal employees, so be it. It would be good, though, to use that 11-mile from I-25/I-40 rule to begin with and apply it across the board to all Albuquerque Municipal Employees and Constitutionally-elected officials of the city as well. That's only fair. Most of the municipal employees of the USA's cities do have a residency requirement rule.
Passive Observer

AOL

#27 Jan 6, 2011
BTW, there are more than a few Albuquerque Police Officers that have already gotten around this rule because they own rental property in Albuquerque. They use THAT address as their address for take-home purposes while receiving their mail at PO Boxes in places like Peralta, Belen, etc. Check it out, Mr. Mayor!
Passive Observer

AOL

#28 Jan 6, 2011
Taxpayer wrote:
<quoted text>Thank You. I was thinking the same thing.
Yeah, but if you check the rolls of Albuquerque Police Officers against the Bernalillo County Assessor's Office's records, you will find they often pay MUCH LESS TAX than the mere mortal on the street for their homes. A fine tradition begun by the Deputy County Assessor about 2 1/2 years ago. She was exposed and had to fix her under-valuation which was for some $110,000! It was "an oversight" she and the County Assessor said.
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#29 Jan 6, 2011
Passive Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
Point taken! I agree. If economics makes it necessary to take away ALL of the take-home cars, including those of ALL municipal employees, so be it. It would be good, though, to use that 11-mile from I-25/I-40 rule to begin with and apply it across the board to all Albuquerque Municipal Employees and Constitutionally-elected officials of the city as well. That's only fair. Most of the municipal employees of the USA's cities do have a residency requirement rule.
I could go along with the APD exception, however most other municipal employees IMO should not have take home vehicles as they are pretty much unnecessary. Rarely is an incident so important as to require one, and certainly that isn't necessary for Dept Dirs and many others who have them. If compensation has GOT to be forthcoming for coming in via their POV, then pay them mileage.
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#30 Jan 6, 2011
Passive Observer wrote:
BTW, there are more than a few Albuquerque Police Officers that have already gotten around this rule because they own rental property in Albuquerque. They use THAT address as their address for take-home purposes while receiving their mail at PO Boxes in places like Peralta, Belen, etc. Check it out, Mr. Mayor!
Point well taken! There will almost always be a means to skirt the regulations<sigh>. Look at all the people who register their vehicles outside BernCo the same way to avoid emissions testing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Lunas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School board candidate defends high school game... Mar 3 Customer 3
News Parents arrested for kids' truancy (Mar '11) Jan '15 GOPeee 24
chiara anton williams (Jan '11) Jan '15 Wtf 6
Review: Complete Fire Protection Jan '15 advert 2
Review: The Loak Shop Dec '14 karuna jaya 1
Review: Main Street Muscle & Fitness Center (Apr '14) Nov '14 Customer 11
News Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Oct '14 jra709 183
Los Lunas Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web