Superintendents wary of grades for sc...

Superintendents wary of grades for schools

There are 17 comments on the Alamogordo Daily News story from Jun 27, 2011, titled Superintendents wary of grades for schools. In it, Alamogordo Daily News reports that:

School superintendents already are nervous about a forthcoming law that will give every public school in New Mexico annual grades of A through F. The state Public Education Department will not hand out the first official grades until the summer of 2012, but Gov.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Alamogordo Daily News.

Since: Oct 08

#1 Jun 28, 2011
If everyone is doing their jobs what are they worried about?
TempNewMexican

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jun 28, 2011
Skuttlebutt wrote:
If everyone is doing their jobs what are they worried about?
Because their not.......
YYY

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jun 28, 2011
MIT.edu , offers OPENCOURSEWARE to anyone in the world. Many from other countries are taking the non-credit classes. Hewlett or Packard funded it.
YYY don't educators check out what is available.
Maybe, just maybe, someone will find something of value to the school systems within the state.
Another catalog is from "THE GREAT COURSES" from
Chantilly, VA. Been around since about 1990. They use the BEST professors in the country.
HIGH SCHOOL COURSES:
"How to Become A Superstar Student" DVD
CHEMISTRY, 2nd Edition DVD
BASIC MATH DVD
GEOMETRY DVD
Each course has 30 segments, DVD or CD.
There is one from, NMSU, on CHINA.
Just look on GOOGLE, you'll find them.
YYY

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Jun 28, 2011
THE GREAT COURSES: Each DVD or CD has 30 minute lectures. Range from 12-24-36-48 or more.

Try them you'll like them. They also have printed
version of courses, extra $$$.

Great values available due to economic times.
SamD

United States

#5 Jun 28, 2011
They should be nervous, very nervous.
Soon that nice little sinecure of public school system employee may go away. Stupid, letting government od ANY KIND, be in charge of influencing your children.
Needs to go away.
Mandatory education, certainly.
Under control of a government entity, never!
Anti-Chaos

Alamogordo, NM

#6 Jun 28, 2011
YYY wrote:
THE GREAT COURSES: Each DVD or CD has 30 minute lectures. Range from 12-24-36-48 or more.
Try them you'll like them. They also have printed
version of courses, extra $$$.
Great values available due to economic times.
YYY, when these count for graduation credit, you let me know...

“no image available”

Since: Oct 08

Alamogordo

#7 Jun 28, 2011
They can hand out all the grades they want. It won't make a difference. It's not like schools haven't had "failing grades" in the past and continued to remain open.
hippychic

Oakley, KS

#8 Jun 28, 2011
Well it's about time that they do something with the education system in NM..and if it takes the A thru F grading system to get some of those lazy teachers and Admin off their butts to get something done..SO BE IT. Lets hope it works, if not then it was a waste of tax payers money and a wasted of time.
Raptor Mom

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jun 28, 2011
Look closer to home. District wanted to close the ONLY middle school here that passed AYP. I still wonder why there wasn't consideration to closing one of the failing schools in this district, ANY failing school not just middle.

There seems to be a pattern in NM of closing schools that are actually meeting the federal standards. Must be tied to money.
Come on now

Alamogordo, NM

#10 Jun 28, 2011
Raptor Mom wrote:
Look closer to home. District wanted to close the ONLY middle school here that passed AYP. I still wonder why there wasn't consideration to closing one of the failing schools in this district, ANY failing school not just middle.
There seems to be a pattern in NM of closing schools that are actually meeting the federal standards. Must be tied to money.
So how many civilian kids can get on base to attend the passing middle school? Can they cram that many more students in there?
Raptor Mom

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Jun 29, 2011
The point is not the military vs civilian kids. The point is that the old Super wanted to close the only middle school that was actually passing APY in favor of keeping the failing schools open. That part of the equation just never made sense to me.

It seems to me that districts around the country still believe that closing performing schools, or taking away their support structure, is the way to improve failing schools. I just think that this is not working and they should all be looking at ways to improve failing schools instead of punishing the ones that work.
Jonny Carson

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jun 29, 2011
The problem is more of politics instead of finding a honest solution to the problems when it comes to fixing are education system.
Raptor Mom wrote:
The point is not the military vs civilian kids. The point is that the old Super wanted to close the only middle school that was actually passing APY in favor of keeping the failing schools open. That part of the equation just never made sense to me.
It seems to me that districts around the country still believe that closing performing schools, or taking away their support structure, is the way to improve failing schools. I just think that this is not working and they should all be looking at ways to improve failing schools instead of punishing the ones that work.
So What

United States

#13 Jul 1, 2011
Raptor Mom wrote:
I agree. We should build six more middle schools so that each of them will have the same amount of students as HMS; include all the curriculum that HMS has which will require APS to hire the same amount of teachers as HMS so that they too have the same teacher-to-student ratio; and live happily ever-after. And lets put Raptor Mom in charge of finding the funding.

The logic that Raptor Mom uses makes me wonder if she is sniffing too many things at her work.
Heres a great idea

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jul 1, 2011
Let's start grading parents and guardians, too.
http://www.stillmanexchange.com/domestic-news...
WARRIOR

Washington, DC

#15 Jul 2, 2011
What's wrong with the schools? It's a fact of life that there are and always will be smart people and dumb people. You can throw millions of dollars at each school and triple the salaries of each teacher and it won't amount to much difference. It all starts at home.
Chuck

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jul 5, 2011
HMS is able to pass AYP in part because not all students are counted in their test results. If there are not 25 or more in a sub group then those students' scores are not counted. If there are only 6 students receiving special education services, their scores are not counted. A large school like MVMS most likely has more subgroups that have 25 students, thus more student scores are counted. When reviewing AYP you should look at each area not just whether the school passed or did not pass. Many schools that do not pass is due to a particular sub group. When the federal govt. finally learns that special ed. students don't achieve at the same level as regular education students, more schools will be passing AYP. How AYP is set up all schools will have to have 100% students passing to pass AYP in 2012.(Or is it 2014?) So soon all the schools will fail. This testing has made schools more accountable, but at the same time it has started a blame game. Teachers can only do so much. Parent support at home makes all the difference. Read and talk to your child...
TDK

Alamogordo, NM

#17 Jul 5, 2011
LAWD!!!! Real grades? I can't fathom what this will do to our society's already decomposing self esteem!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Lunas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Verdict in Wrestling Lawsuit Jun '15 Pants on Fire 1
Alleged administrator of anti-APD blog set to l... Jun '15 Jim 1
chiara anton williams (Jan '11) May '15 Need Justice for ... 7
Los Lunas parents getting charged for student t... May '15 Dlbrown 1
School board candidate defends high school game... (Feb '15) Mar '15 Customer 3
News Parents arrested for kids' truancy (Mar '11) Jan '15 GOPeee 24
Review: Complete Fire Protection (Jan '15) Jan '15 advert 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Lunas Mortgages