Same-sex marriages targeted in New Me...

Same-sex marriages targeted in New Mexico

There are 90 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 28, 2011, titled Same-sex marriages targeted in New Mexico. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

A legislator has filed a bill to overturn the New Mexico policy that recognizes same-sex marriages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
mvickh8r

Albuquerque, NM

#87 Feb 2, 2011
people opposed to gay marriage are so hung up on the semantics of it that they forget it's not based in any logic whatsoever.
it's discrimination, period.
and before someone brings up the procreation argument, we let old couples who can't reproduce marry and we let sterile couples marry (as long as it's man and woman).
it's also interesting to note most of the people opposed to gay marriage are so called conservatives who are against big government and intrusion into people's personal lives, yet they want to use it in this case to do just that. the hypocrisy is astounding.
Seriously

Farmington, NM

#88 Feb 2, 2011
qwe wrote:
They can choose to marry anyone of the opposite sex just like the rest of us. Are they special just because they are perverts?
Yes, you can marry anyone...but when people just get married, without thought of building a future together, they end up getting divorced. I chose to build a life and a relationship with my husband not because he's of the "opposite sex" but because of who he is, and the things we have in common, including our views on marriage and family, and our expectations for our future together. Marriage should be about working together, and building a future for your family, with the person you choose, regardless of their sex.
qwe wrote:
Homosexuality used to be wrong. It used to be listed as a perverted sexual abnormality and mental disorder in the DSM manual published by the American Psychiatric Association.
And Freud used to prescribe cocaine to his patients, and belived that every human being desired to be incestuous. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

“TMA&CRR One Love One Marriage ”

Since: Sep 09

port orange

#89 Feb 2, 2011
My2Cents wrote:
I personally, nor anyone I have talked to about this subject would deny your family the benefits allowed my family. This could be done through a civil union.
Now I am not going to get into a religous debate here because I have my beliefs ( which are also held by the majority in this country and around the world) and you have yours and I respect that and won't try to convince you otherwise. I will leave it to God to sort out. But I believe that a marriage is a "contract" between the couple and god and I believe that that couple is of a man and woman. The Governments then decided to use that as their recognition of a legal couple, but it was a religous institution first and foremost. Where I find the GLC is failing is not in getting the same benefits because if it were considered a civil union they would have them today, it is in the attempt to change the religous beliefs of the Christian faith, and that IMO is a losing battle.
but then again it's just my opinion and you have the right to dis agree, like I said God will sort it out and I feel real confident in my standing there.
Hope you have a nice day and can stay warm through this storm.
<quoted text>
your religious belifes don't matter we are a secular nation....
http://lesbianlife.about.com/cs/wedding/a/uni...

when you pay the 1000's of $ for me to get a lawyer to draw up the paper work to make our union equal to your marriage let me know untill then i will fight for marriage equality
Tex not tex

Salt Lake City, UT

#90 Feb 2, 2011
poboy wrote:
New Mexico shouldn't recognize same sex marriages.
Why?
Fascination

Salt Lake City, UT

#91 Feb 3, 2011
qwe wrote:
Why are they so special? They aren't a race. They aren't a gender. They can choose to marry anyone of the opposite sex just like the rest of us. Are they special just because they are perverts? Are they special just because they like to put their thingy in another man's assembly line? Homosexuality used to be wrong. It used to be listed as a perverted sexual abnormality and mental disorder in the DSM manual published by the American Psychiatric Association. Most people don't actually realize how perverted they are. If we would start keeping stats about how many sex crimes are committed by homosexuals, we would realize better about what the United States is now condoning. Its not just Catholic priests committing sex crimes, it is simply that a greater percentage of homosexuals commit sex crimes than the public in general. Ever seen a gay parade? It's not safe for your children to see. Its sick.
"FARMINGTON The 13-year-old foster daughter who videotaped her own sexual assault last year will not have to testify against the man who raped her.
Todd Mortensen, 46, whose charges of 85 counts of sexual abuse against a different foster daughter were dismissed in 2004, pleaded guilty Wednesday in district court to three counts of second-degree felony criminal sexual contact against a minor under the age of 13."

You were saying ...?

FaFoxy

“ WOOF !”

Since: Oct 10

Coolidge, AZ

#92 Feb 3, 2011
mvickh8r wrote:
people opposed to gay marriage are so hung up on the semantics of it that they forget it's not based in any logic whatsoever.
it's discrimination, period.
and before someone brings up the procreation argument, we let old couples who can't reproduce marry and we let sterile couples marry (as long as it's man and woman).
it's also interesting to note most of the people opposed to gay marriage are so called conservatives who are against big government and intrusion into people's personal lives, yet they want to use it in this case to do just that. the hypocrisy is astounding.
It's not semantics. That's what the whole fight is about. If you call it marriage, there are then certain legal benefits that apply. If you don't call it marriage, then those legal benefits do not apply.

What the heck do you think the fight is about ?! It's about equal rights for everyone.

“I'm a transsexual lesbian. So?”

Since: May 08

Bowling Green, OH

#93 Feb 3, 2011
Ace -- If you think the only hero we have is Harvey Milk, then you're dead wrong!

We have LGBT heroes like Bayard Rustin, Sylvia Rivera, Eric Marcus, Harry Hay, Lisa Ben, David Copay, Dr. Frank Kameny, Copy Berg, Harvey Fierstein, Barbra Gittings, Christine Jorgensen and too many others to count! We have ally heroes like Dr. Evelyn Hooker, and Jeannie Manford too!

To AceofSpades who is under the delusion that Bayard was fired from the March on Washington. I'd like to remindyou sweetie that Rustin *spoke* at the March, and that he was smuggled out of Birmingham because he was targeted not only by the Klan, but the FBI as well. Get your damn facts right before you go showing the world you're an ignorant fool.

There were members of the SCLC who also attacked Dr. King, because they felt he was moving too fast, and they wanted him to slow his pace in order to appease the racists and bigots of the south. Dr. King more or less told those fools we've waited long enough, and was time to act.

“Love thy neighbor!”

Since: Dec 06

Westland , MI

#94 Feb 3, 2011
MarleneBomer wrote:
Ace -- If you think the only hero we have is Harvey Milk, then you're dead wrong!
We have LGBT heroes like Bayard Rustin, Sylvia Rivera, Eric Marcus, Harry Hay, Lisa Ben, David Copay, Dr. Frank Kameny, Copy Berg, Harvey Fierstein, Barbra Gittings, Christine Jorgensen and too many others to count! We have ally heroes like Dr. Evelyn Hooker, and Jeannie Manford too!
To AceofSpades who is under the delusion that Bayard was fired from the March on Washington. I'd like to remindyou sweetie that Rustin *spoke* at the March, and that he was smuggled out of Birmingham because he was targeted not only by the Klan, but the FBI as well. Get your damn facts right before you go showing the world you're an ignorant fool.
There were members of the SCLC who also attacked Dr. King, because they felt he was moving too fast, and they wanted him to slow his pace in order to appease the racists and bigots of the south. Dr. King more or less told those fools we've waited long enough, and was time to act.
Thank you for the interesting post. Lots of new information there for me. People who stand up for what is right tend to be my heroes, no matter what they are fighting for.
Fascination

Salt Lake City, UT

#95 Feb 3, 2011
Ace0fSpade wrote:
<quoted text>
Gay and Black Histories are COMPLETELY different. Gays have some scientifically unquantifiable condition that they're demanding "civil rights" for. Blacks come from a past of Harriet Tubman, MLK, Mahalia Jackson, Malcolm X. We are a very religious people, which has been at the center of our struggle from the very beginning. In contrast to a majority godless and spiritually bankrupt gays.
I can't wait till some gay attempts to use Black history on a national stage for their gay agenda. The back lash from Blacks nationally toward gays will be swift and devastating.
I kinda understand tho...Gays only hero is a guy named Harry Milk who loved screwing a variety of young men even pushing one to suicide. THAT'S your gay legacy.
Miss Thang!! Don't forget "straight" Dan White gassed himself to death, guilty of killing elected officials. That's so hatero for you.
AmericanInfidel

Flossmoor, IL

#96 Feb 3, 2011
"targeted" I thought only libs can now use these words.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Lunas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Starbucks in Los Lunas "Warning about a Golddig... (Jan '17) Sep 15 Vince L 7
Child molestor ALERT Aug '17 The more you know 1
News New Mexico Public Education Secretary Skandera ... Jul '17 oakie 13
Los Chavez Tweakers (Dec '16) Apr '17 chainz 2
News Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Apr '17 HOHI 195
News Breeder under fire for running 'puppy mill' (Jan '09) Apr '17 Debra Buckhorn 228
News Facebook chooses New Mexico for new data center... (Sep '16) Dec '16 Aimee Hall 2

Los Lunas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Lunas Mortgages