Same-sex marriages targeted in New Me...

Same-sex marriages targeted in New Mexico

There are 90 comments on the El Paso Times story from Jan 28, 2011, titled Same-sex marriages targeted in New Mexico. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

A legislator has filed a bill to overturn the New Mexico policy that recognizes same-sex marriages.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
tomas

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 29, 2011
Good move. No one likes legislation shoved down their throat by a few in power. The right thing to do is put it to a vote a let the people decide what they want. That will help keep activist judges in check too.

Since: Jan 11

Newcastle, CA

#3 Jan 29, 2011
Did it read "targeted" it was obviously written by a Jared Laughner fan. Hate speech at its best.
jarhead

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 29, 2011
Nature meant for it to be Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!

United States

#5 Jan 29, 2011
jarhead wrote:
I agree completely, now if I said anything remotely close to "targeting" gays or lesbians the gay rights cops would be all over me and my post.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#6 Jan 29, 2011
Another GOP Republican who apparently is out of touch with reality!!!

There are more states that recognize out-of-state marriages that involve Same-Sex Couples than just New Mexico or new York........and if he can't figure that out, then who is obviously out of touch?
duh

United States

#9 Jan 29, 2011
A simple solution is get the gov out of marriage and make it a religious issue. Let folks all people form a cival union or contract. This will cover property and children. If they want to get married by the church they will be free to do so.
What busiess should it be of mine, or anyone else, who marries who. Gay folks are who they are and tht won't change. Lets not stir up any more hate, we have enough already.
Stop spending money on things that harm no one and focus on what needs done.
Our educational system is at the bottom nationally and yet we are wasting time and money on the issue of gay marriage.

Since: Sep 10

Alamogordo, NM

#10 Jan 29, 2011
civil rights wrote:
<quoted text>
should not be put to a vote.
please explain why you feel this way?

Alamogordo, NM

#11 Jan 29, 2011
Well this is a new mexico fourm not a texas fourm make your voice heard there as you are from texas.
jarhead wrote:

United States

#12 Jan 29, 2011
This guy wrote:
<quoted text>
has a gay fantasy about cops being all over him.
Is everybody in Santa Fe as stupid as you? Mamon!!

United States

#13 Jan 29, 2011
Hii-Five wrote:
Well this is a new mexico fourm not a texas fourm make your voice heard there as you are from texas.
<quoted text>
Dictionary or spell check ,you were probably educated in N.M. too!

Alamogordo, NM

#14 Jan 29, 2011
Why shouldnt this be put to a vote? Then people could vote if they are in favor or not. Insted of a few people controling the many, we tell Big Govt what We want.

Alamogordo, NM

#15 Jan 29, 2011
last time i checked topix doesnt have spell check, and no I was educated in PA NJ and TX. I have a 3 AS a 2 BS degrees and M.Div. AND YOU???

grtwyt wrote:
<quoted text>Dictionary or spell check ,you were probably educated in N.M. too!
MTK

Mccoy, CO

#16 Jan 29, 2011
The Attorney General of New Mexico held that Article IV of the U. S. Constitution requires recognition by the state of marriages performed in other states and countries:

"Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records and judicial proceedings of every other State...."

Since Article VI declares the U.S. Constitution to be the Supreme Law of the land, state statutes barring recognition of marriages performed in and recognized by other states are invalid.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#17 Jan 29, 2011
tomas wrote:
Good move. No one likes legislation shoved down their throat by a few in power. The right thing to do is put it to a vote a let the people decide what they want. That will help keep activist judges in check too.
The majority should never be able to decide which basic civil rights a minority can receive.

Such things should be in the hands of the courts. Judging the constitutionaluty of laws is what they are supposed to do. It's why there were created as the third branch of our government in the first place.

Helps to keep the "tyranny of the majority" in check.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#18 Jan 29, 2011
jarhead wrote:
LOL. If that were true, there wouldn't be so many gay people.

Alamogordo, NM

#19 Jan 29, 2011
I’ve been judged clueless incendiary and nuts because I feel the people of new mexico should have a vote in how its run.
I don’t care about this topic but when I was reading the comments, it did scare me that all of you just want to cram you opinion down someone’s throat, when a vote from the people of the state of NM would tell the govt how we feel.
And then if your side didn’t win because you didn’t vote it’s was because of YOU!
Everyone is tired of what Govt is doing but only something like 40%(guesstimate) vote...

Alamogordo, NM

#21 Jan 29, 2011
Quest wrote:
<quoted text>
The majority should never be able to decide which basic civil rights a minority can receive.
Such things should be in the hands of the courts. Judging the constitutionaluty of laws is what they are supposed to do. It's why there were created as the third branch of our government in the first place.
Helps to keep the "tyranny of the majority" in check.
Somewhat true, The court should decide HR complaints, but first the people must put it up for vote to disclose the intent. Automatically taking it out of the people’s hands will lead to discontent and give the impression of tyranny.

Sorry but the first step is putting it in the people’s hands and then the states legislation and then courts if opposed.

#23 Jan 29, 2011
Hii-Five wrote:
Why shouldnt this be put to a vote? Then people could vote if they are in favor or not. Insted of a few people controling the many, we tell Big Govt what We want.
I'll tell you what........when I get to vote on your right to marry, then you can vote on mine.......okay?

Marriage is a fundamental right per SCOTUS and therefore NO ONE should be allowed to vote on the right to marry whether it be for a Same-Sex Couple or an opposite-sex couple!!!!

#24 Jan 29, 2011
Hii-Five wrote:
last time i checked topix doesnt have spell check, and no I was educated in PA NJ and TX. I have a 3 AS a 2 BS degrees and M.Div. AND YOU???
<quoted text>
What's a M.Div.?

3 Community College degrees........impressive and 2 undergraduate degrees......awesome.........a nd still you can't check your spelling........sorry, but you could open a word document, if you cared!!!!

United States

#25 Jan 29, 2011
Hii-Five wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough education to spell and post correctly, and you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Lunas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Mexico clinics close up, disappear with pat... Aug 4 Zoey 26
News Child molester sentenced 33 years later (Dec '11) Jul '16 Justice 3
News Two arrested after officer-involved shooting Fr... Jun '16 The truth 1
Paul Marez Apr '16 Hmmm 1
bfpd Apr '16 Enough 911 1
trafic in main st Apr '16 Enough 2
News Residents voice concern over new probation, par... Apr '16 jcperea 2

Los Lunas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance