Parents arrested for kids' truancy

Parents arrested for kids' truancy

There are 24 comments on the KRQE Albuquerque, New Mexico story from Mar 30, 2011, titled Parents arrested for kids' truancy. In it, KRQE Albuquerque, New Mexico reports that:

Los Lunas Police arrested Emilio Chavez, 37, and Katrina Chavez, 36, Tuesday morning at their Albuquerque home on bench warrants.A Those warrants were for disobeying court orders and failing to appear at a court hearing regarding their kids' absentee issues.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KRQE Albuquerque, New Mexico.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Phil the machinist

“Hello De La Muerta”

Since: Dec 08

Die Die Die Die Kitty

#1 Mar 30, 2011
I'm sure we, the taxpayer, have paid for every meal these kids have eaten.

If your kids don't go to school, your state bennies should be cut off.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Mar 30, 2011
Phil the machinist wrote:
I'm sure we, the taxpayer, have paid for every meal these kids have eaten.
If your kids don't go to school, your state bennies should be cut off.
An excellent idea!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Mar 30, 2011
Come on now, NM doesn't have any borderline 'suspect' parents. Kids don't learn because it's ALL the teachers fault(s)!

This is one of the non-teacher controlled things I was talking about when I posted to another thread about teacher accountability. They have no control over parents not sending their kids to school and the lack of learning that causes.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#4 Mar 30, 2011
CornDogz wrote:
Come on now, NM doesn't have any borderline 'suspect' parents. Kids don't learn because it's ALL the teachers fault(s)!
This is one of the non-teacher controlled things I was talking about when I posted to another thread about teacher accountability. They have no control over parents not sending their kids to school and the lack of learning that causes.
If you ever wondered about the really bad NM teachers, CornDogz, check out Bad Bad Teacher.com :

http://badbadteacher.com/category/new-mexico/

Phil the machinist

“Hello De La Muerta”

Die Die Die Die Kitty

#5 Mar 30, 2011
You would think that, because it's free, the parents would have the kids there first in line.

Location hidden

#6 Mar 30, 2011
Phil the machinist wrote:
You would think that, because it's free, the parents would have the kids there first in line.
But they'd have to actually get their butts out of bed in time to get their kids to school. Not a whole lot of incentive if they don't have to work!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Mar 30, 2011
Caltrop wrote:
<quoted text>
If you ever wondered about the really bad NM teachers, CornDogz, check out Bad Bad Teacher.com :
http://badbadteacher.com/category/new-mexico/
I've no doubt whatsoever there are some, however trying to hold them all accountable for kids not learning in part due to situations well beyond their control is another issue entirely. Using just this headline as an example, how can someone jeopardize a teachers entire profession for those kids failure to learn?

I ran across a few bad eggs when my kids were in school, but I think the good apples far outweigh the bad apples.
Free is free

Santa Fe, NM

#8 Mar 31, 2011
It's about time lousy parents (and there are plenty) have their feet held to the fire.

IMO, there is a social contract between parents and the rest of society:

You get tax breaks, freebies, and in many cases whatever you need to raise productive, taxpaying citizens. In exchange, society needs functional adults to take over.

If you breach that contract, you should be held liable for your faulty product.

“Umbrae Pulvisque”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#9 Apr 3, 2011
Laws like this would be valid if people like former Mayor Martin Chavez had been arrested for his daughter shoplifting $500. worth of merchandise, being intoxicated on alcohol despite being a minor, or DA Kari Brandenburg were arrested for her sons driving drunk or getting caught with Marihuana (hey, topix- don't correct my marihuana spelling- that's the correct spelling in Spanish- marijuana is a bardization of the correct form!!!) at the Sunport. Also in this story was the fact that after the kids were placed in a temporary foster home THEY DITCHED SCHOOL JUST AS MANY TIMES. Parent's can't really control difficult kids nowadays since any sanctions they may have at their disposal to discipline difficult kids are considered "child abuse"! Or THE LITTLE BASTARDS WILL SHOOT AND KILL YOU and then Albuquerque's bleeding hearts will believe the made up stories the little monsters make up for their reason to murder you! This is a STUPID law that should be repealed.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#10 Apr 4, 2011
Make mandatory school attendance Illegal. Don't make school attendance mandatory. Problem solved. Love the parents have a social contract to turn their children over to the state mentality. Seems like the best interests of the child are not the domain of the family anymore, but of the state. No matter what laws are made there will always be those who don't or won't comply. Red light cameras anyone? The entire system is broken. Given all the legislation and new laws passed in our last session, it will continue. Seems the only responsible adults in our society are those that work in the government.

Location hidden

#11 Apr 4, 2011
Free is free wrote:
It's about time lousy parents (and there are plenty) have their feet held to the fire.
IMO, there is a social contract between parents and the rest of society:
You get tax breaks, freebies, and in many cases whatever you need to raise productive, taxpaying citizens. In exchange, society needs functional adults to take over.
If you breach that contract, you should be held liable for your faulty product.
And to think that the purpose of education is to raise "productive, taxpaying citizens." I wonder what the reason for raising and educating children was prior to 1913. I don't raise my children to be a crop for the government to harvest, thank you. Our contract with the government. They give us a freebie, buy us out, and we owe them. Now that is a great example for the "Ain't no such thing as a free lunch" saying.

Location hidden

#12 Apr 4, 2011
Remove all the silly laws that prevent parents from disaplining their kids.

Can't spank.
Can't slap hands and say NO.
Can't send them to bed hungry because they won't eat the food in front of them.( not talking about those that are allergic to certain food)
Can't refuse much of anything they ask for today.

Worst is the parents don't take an active role in the kids school and school work.

I am sure there are many good parents out there but what about the ones to involved in their own interest to even ask if they have homework, if they need help, how did you do today on a test etc.

Spanking teaches them right from wrong, slapping a hand and saying no and explaining why teaches them it is wrong or dangerous and why.

But nope, the government wants to control every aspect of the parents bringing up the spoiled brats.

Then they wonder why kids fail in school, steal, get into fights etc.

So easy to blame the teachers when most times it is the parents.

Location hidden

#13 Apr 5, 2011
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
Remove all the silly laws that prevent parents from disaplining their kids.
Can't spank.
Can't slap hands and say NO.
Can't send them to bed hungry because they won't eat the food in front of them.( not talking about those that are allergic to certain food)
Can't refuse much of anything they ask for today.
Worst is the parents don't take an active role in the kids school and school work.
I am sure there are many good parents out there but what about the ones to involved in their own interest to even ask if they have homework, if they need help, how did you do today on a test etc.
Spanking teaches them right from wrong, slapping a hand and saying no and explaining why teaches them it is wrong or dangerous and why.
But nope, the government wants to control every aspect of the parents bringing up the spoiled brats.
Then they wonder why kids fail in school, steal, get into fights etc.
So easy to blame the teachers when most times it is the parents.
Well, yes, there are different parents in the spectrum. Yes, many who worry about every stupid little thing they do will invite some "intervention" by authorities. I'm reminded of a story a few years back of a woman who tried to break up a serious fight between her two teen daughters who were both trained in martial arts. She tried to stop them by slapping them on the thighs with a ruler. If I recall, she was charged and convicted of some pretty serious crimes. Or the woman who was facing charges herself because of her unruly daughter who's only option was to handcuff herself to that child to prevent her from leaving and running amuck. I think she faced some serious penalties too.

The parents in this case are probably examples of what is becoming all too common. Nothing better then punks and thugs. It scares to to see so many "adults" behave like little gang bangers and they are the examples to their own children. Unfortunately, there are, now, a good three generations of them. They are living examples of why some people should not be allowed to have children.
Are you serious

United States

#14 Apr 7, 2011
We have murderers, rapists, robbers etc and they are putting warrants out for kids not being in school. I'm confused, didn't the parents move to Abq? I'm not saying the parents are good parents but wtf, the fact is that our court systems have other thing to concern themselves with rather than this crapola. Oh well, now I can say that I have seen everything....

Location hidden

#15 Apr 7, 2011
Are you serious wrote:
We have murderers, rapists, robbers etc and they are putting warrants out for kids not being in school. I'm confused, didn't the parents move to Abq? I'm not saying the parents are good parents but wtf, the fact is that our court systems have other thing to concern themselves with rather than this crapola. Oh well, now I can say that I have seen everything....
You as I and others will never see everything.

Parents who allow their kids to skip school or keep them home, not home schooled but " I don't wanna go to school today, I don't feel good and other lame excuses that parents fall for need to grow up and be real parents, take control back from the brats.

The teachers always get blamed when little Johnnie or Susie fail, the real blame in 98% of the cases is the parents who don't show interest in the brats schooling as they are to busy with their own fun things.

My parents always asked how was school, have homework, need help with a problem.

My wife and I asked that of our kids too, and when they said they need help they got it.

We also believed in spanking when they were bad and they turned out great.

So what is wrong with parents being held accountable for their little brats bad attitude or skipping school or bullying another child?

It's about time the law went after those parents.

Location hidden

#16 Apr 8, 2011
What about the parents who are concerned? Their kids aren't brats. They have intelligence. They aren't learning their arithmetic or spelling in the second or third grade. You bring up a small minority and then place it on the parents. Who has the kids for a minimum of 30 hours during the week for instruction? How is that system set up? So it is the parent's fault. Give me better material and mold it better and my teaching system would work? Too funny.

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#17 Apr 8, 2011
I'm sure the teabaggers can blame this all on the teachers unions somehow....gee..where is Glenn Beck when they need him the most?

Location hidden

#18 Apr 8, 2011
Daniel in Hobbs wrote:
I'm sure the teabaggers can blame this all on the teachers unions somehow....gee..where is Glenn Beck when they need him the most?
Daniel you are truly a piece of molded cake.

Let me see here, you blame the tea baggers, they were not even around 3, 5 or 12 years ago yet the educational system here has been in shambles for ages.

How do you explain that?

Willothewisp does bring up a valid point, I do hope she does not assume I am saying every parent (s) are bad or don't care, perhaps I should have been a bit more direct in saying the xx percentage of parents who don't care should be held accountable.

I can say that those students whose English is not good, mostly illegals OR those from families that for one reason or another don't or won't speak English in the home are a good percentage of the problem.

If we stop catering to those by paying some teachers who are bi-langual
and instead make it a law, a National law that only English is to be spoken in schools with one exception, those students taking foreign languages that might help.

But still I would place most the blame on students and parents and not teachers. The system puts to much blame on the teachers, if only people knew how much time they spend on their own doing school work, buying supplies with their own money etc you would be shocked.

I know as our daughter and son in law are teachers, nights, week-ends grading papers, developing/creating projects etc. They spend a good hunk of their salary on supplies because even big school districts don't provide enough supplies.

And teachers are NOT BABY SITTERS. Their job is to inform, give out assignments, a time line to have them completed and turned in, grade them but not force the students to do the homework.

That is the responsibility of the parents.

I know people here in ABQ who home school their children because they can and do a better job, why, because they care, they are educated and know their subjects and don't trust APS to do the job right.

Still the parents are suppose to be sure their children are learning, are doing their homework, are passing etc.

Grading the schools and teachers is not the answer, it starts at the top and when a district like APS allows principles to vie for other schools that does not help, they move them around like toys, how can anyone have faith in a system that does not give those in charge of the school time to do things.

We know of a person, a family friend who is in education, teacher, administrator etc. who moved from here for one big reason, the politics played at the APS administration office and the school board and their little games they play.

Enough said, parents are the front line, if you care enough about your children make sure they are learning.
Free is free

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Apr 8, 2011
Willothewisp wrote:
<quoted text>
And to think that the purpose of education is to raise "productive, taxpaying citizens." I wonder what the reason for raising and educating children was prior to 1913. I don't raise my children to be a crop for the government to harvest, thank you. Our contract with the government. They give us a freebie, buy us out, and we owe them. Now that is a great example for the "Ain't no such thing as a free lunch" saying.
So, when are you moving to a deserted island, where you can provide all your own services and rely upon nobody else for anything? Like it or not, as part of a society, you owe society and it in turn helps you. Opting out is an option, but you'll need to stop reaping the bounty our civilization provides.

Location hidden

#20 Apr 8, 2011
Read "The Law" by Bastiat. Short and sweet. Don't reductio ad absurdum me, please. Nice take it to the extreme argument. Fly under the radar. Happy Government Shut Down. Yawn.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Lunas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Starbucks in Los Lunas "Warning about a Golddig... (Jan '17) Mon Michael B 12
News Piedra gets 5 1/2 years (Mar '11) Oct 27 PullDaCovers 45
News Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Sep '17 HRresident 197
Child molestor ALERT Aug '17 The more you know 1
News New Mexico Public Education Secretary Skandera ... Jul '17 oakie 13
Los Chavez Tweakers (Dec '16) Apr '17 chainz 2
News Breeder under fire for running 'puppy mill' (Jan '09) Apr '17 Debra Buckhorn 228

Los Lunas Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Lunas Mortgages