Fishers at California Aqueduct should take precautions

Apr 18, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Merced Sun-Star.com

“I know you can fall right into that sucker”

Los Banos fisherman Paul Rivas has been fishing the California Aqueduct for most of his life, but a recent slip and fall on the waterway's steep concrete slope almost killed him. via Merced Sun-Star.com

Comments
1 - 20 of 33 Comments Last updated Jul 9, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Adam Ortega

United States

#1 Apr 18, 2007
I also have fished the Aquaduct many times. Usually around Santa Nella. I have always feared having to take the splash but once while landing a lunker I actually walked down the ladder to the water line while reeling him in as not to lose him...

It wasnt until I was back up top that I realized how stupid I was...I was alone to top it off....I was a superintendent constucting a dentist office in Los Banos on a lunch break.

When I went back to work I was still shook up...On the drive home to Fresno I was telling myself I could have died today....My moral is. It doesnt have to be an accident..Excitement and stupidity are equally dangerous.

Be careful my friends....Always

Adam
common sense

Modesto, CA

#2 Apr 19, 2007
I fish that all the Time and it boils down to common sense! U fish it buy a auto C02 Pdf. they are light and hardly know they you have them on. Cabelas.com sells them for as little as $60.00 cheap if you think your life is worth it. A rope around your Waste and tied down to a solid support will work until you are too tired to swim back upstream and pull yourself out. the current is swift and fast under the surface due to the desing of the aquaduct to effesantly move water from one place to another!
Dyandrew Jones

Lancaster, CA

#3 Jun 2, 2007
I myself have almost fell in the aqueduct I was fishing with my grandfather in palmdale california we were both using lures in the aquaduct so we had to hop the fence because our fishing poles just barely couldnt make it my grandpa somehow didnt look like he would slip at all but I could barely hang on so i layed down i slipped and my arm touch the water and the pumps were on because i felt the current so i got back up to the top and thought how stupid that was and i never hopped the fence again
Oscar

United States

#4 Jul 18, 2007
what could happen if you fall into the aqueduct
carol

Stockton, CA

#5 Aug 9, 2007
The waters of California are cold and swiftly
move through their courses...it is not a play
ground for man nor child. Yet, many a man or
child has perished because they failed to heed
the warning to wear proper protection. The best
protection is to stay out of water that is unknown to you...stay out of water period without proper life support. Respect our water
and it will respect your life.
Swimfan

Hawthorne, CA

#6 Jun 5, 2008
Sorry guys, hate to differ but I'm 24 and I've been swimming in the aquaduct for YEARS, you just cant be a moron and take a dip right by a pump station.
de8loused8muteat live

Hesperia, CA

#7 Jun 23, 2008
you guys are all stupid me an my friends have been swimming in the aqueduct for 4 years now we used to ditch highschool got to the aqueduct drink smoke an jumb off the bridges there are ladders everry 100 ft an the side walls are slippery but i can walk up them bare footed i think its fun its free an i ilkie it
JESSIE CARILORIA

United States

#8 Aug 2, 2008
I HAD JUST WORKED GRAVEYARD AT MERCED SO AT DAWN WENT TO SANTA NELA. NO ONE WAS THERE! I HOOKED A BIG FISH WITH A LIGHT TACKLE. I WENT DOWN TO GET THE FISH HOPING IT WONT BREAK. GOT TO CLOSE TO THE WATER, AND SLIPPED. I HAD STEEL TOE SHOES AND COULDN'T PADDLE GOOD. THE NOT SO FUNNY THING WAS I SAW MY TOOK OFF IN THE WATER AND STILL GRABBED IT KNOWING I WAS GOING TO DROWN... I STILL LANDED THE FISH. BUT IN THE PROCESS I ALMOST LOST MY LIFE.. CAREFUL OUT THERE..
Sandy

Merced, CA

#9 Aug 5, 2008
de8loused8muteatlive wrote:
you guys are all stupid me an my friends have been swimming in the aqueduct for 4 years now we used to ditch highschool got to the aqueduct drink smoke an jumb off the bridges there are ladders everry 100 ft an the side walls are slippery but i can walk up them bare footed i think its fun its free an i ilkie it
Maybe if you hadn't skipped school you would know how to spell better.
gary

Ceres, CA

#10 Sep 6, 2008
Swimfan wrote:
Sorry guys, hate to differ but I'm 24 and I've been swimming in the aquaduct for YEARS, you just cant be a moron and take a dip right by a pump station.
all we have to do is look at your age 24 and that tells us everything about you matches the way you talk and what you do, young and dumb been there done that befor you were born and let me tell you something someday you will grow up and understand untill then we all forgive you for being stupid
big daddy

United States

#11 Dec 9, 2008
be careful when fishing or you can become fish bait yourself and striped bass really like to eat soul food.
Amigo

United States

#12 Dec 20, 2008
I fell but not in it. BTW FFN sucks~!~
That fellow is lucky he is alive. FFN sucks
I really do feel for him, that would have been the most horrible experence of my life if I was he. FFN sucks.
Mark Marchand

Pomona, CA

#13 Mar 22, 2009
Oscar wrote:
what could happen if you fall into the aqueduct
Oscar, if you fall in the current is sextremely strong and the pumps can actually pull you under even as you go with the current.
Just be careful!!!!
Lisa Newhouse

Santa Clarita, CA

#14 Jul 18, 2009
Hello People,
My dad Gary Carlson died in the aqueduct. He was fishing with a buddy in Palmdale, ca about 10 pm and his fishing line got stuck. He went to unhook his line and slipped in. The current immediately took him to the middle and he was yelling for his friend. His friend ran to the truck to get a rope when he came back my dad was already gone. It took scuba divers 2 days to find his body. That was 30 years ago and the images of the divers pulling him out of the water haunts me until this day. The currents are very strong and the sides are very slippery and the water is murcky so if you get pulled under thats it say good-bye life. My dad was 37 years old.

“It's Alive - The Elusive MBP”

Since: Jan 09

Dreary Erie Mistake on da Lake

#15 Jul 19, 2009
AQ person who worked as a diver told a story of huge catfish stuck in the grates and others swimming around it's buddy. I'm talking 300lbs+ so if the current doesn't get you, a catfish might.

Don't get too much anchovie scent on yourself or you're toast.

The diver refused to ever go in there again.

Watch River Monsters and you'll know it's true.
Avedis

Sherman Oaks, CA

#16 Aug 15, 2009
Why do you guys have to do this!
This is dangerous for your girlfreinds to be dared and get there and get the hell out of there!!
Alex Solorio AVENAL CA

Selma, CA

#17 Aug 21, 2009
oh i alwayz walk on the cement in the canal right off the avenal cuttoff its steep but not that steep i get kinds nervouse when i go but ehhh were all gonna die sum day i love being there its allot of fun alwayz sumthing to see i go right next to the doors too thats like the most dangerouse place in the aqueduct its always moving fast
steven

Ridgecrest, CA

#18 Jun 1, 2010
i was at the aquaduct today fishing and it was scary cuz it was my first time and hay if u have and tips for bait to use in the aquaduct i would love the help
6 Years at Aqueduct

Waterford, CA

#20 Aug 18, 2010
I've been fishin the duct for 6 years now. As long as your a ways from any Gates or Siphons you're alright. I've feel in on straight portions of it, not bad at all. Just put your palms on the cement and pull urself out. My dad used to swim in it with his friends. I've seen people jumping off bridges and pipelines into it. Straightaways it's cool, but on the other hand, you fall in at a gate consider yourself a gonner. Prolly a 50-50 if you fall in at a siphon.
Levorsons

Fountain Valley, CA

#21 Aug 28, 2010
Has anyone been fined or got into trouble foe swimming in the Aqueduct? we have heard that we can get into trouble with the law and fined??? We do not problems trying to live a good clean life!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Banos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 1 hr go away 5,007
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 1 hr Soaked good 200,593
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 10 hr lazy posts 15,963
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Thu Tank ever 7,926
Modesto police: Man shoots victim, drives off w... Aug 12 Leslie 1
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Aug 6 starbucks 2,262
This town is so boring Jul '14 sillyboy1 3
•••
•••
Los Banos Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Los Banos Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••