Five Hypocrites and One Bad Plan

Five Hypocrites and One Bad Plan

Posted in the Los Angeles Forum

Since: Nov 11

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Mar 29, 2012
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/five_hypo...

By Robert Scheer

The Supreme Court is so full of it. The entire institution, as well as its sanctimonious judges themselves, reeks of a time-honored hypocrisy steeped in the arrogance that justice is served by unaccountable elitism.

My problem is not with the Republicans who dominate the court questioning the obviously flawed individual mandate for the purchasing of private-sector health insurance but rather with their zeal to limit federal power only when it threatens to help the most vulnerable. The laughter noted in the court transcription that greeted the prospect of millions of the uninsured suddenly being deprived of already extended protection under the now threatened law was unconscionable. The Republican justices seem determined to strike down not only the mandate but also the entire package of accompanying health care rights because of the likelihood that, without an individual mandate, tax revenue will be needed to extend insurance coverage to those who cannot afford it.

The conservative justices, in their eagerness to reject all of this much needed reform, offer the deeply cynical justification that a new Congress will easily come up with a better plan—despite decades of congressional failure to address what is arguably the nation’s most pressing issue. In their passion to embarrass this president, the self-proclaimed constitutional purists on the court went so far as to equate a mandate to obtain health care coverage with an unconstitutional deprivation of freedom; to make the connection they cited the spirit of a document that once condoned slavery.

To read the rest of the article click here!
http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/five_hypo...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hundreds of Thousands Attend in Women's March i... 2 hr Now_What- 2
News 'Hate does not make America great': Protesters ... 3 hr xxxxxxxxx 10
Alec Baldwin Is A Disgusting Human Being!! (Sep '11) 7 hr 25or6to4 24
Http://miamicocatea.com 17 hr Paul calais 5
News 1 Dies After Being Shot Multiple Times In Torso... 18 hr tellinitlikeitis 5
News Steve McQueen (Mar '12) Mon James 4
News Thousands gather in downtown LA for women's march Mon ThomasA 7

Los Angeles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Angeles Mortgages