DEA raids 10 pot shops -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

The gap between state and federal drug laws became apparent again Wednesday when federal agents raided 10 local medical marijuana facilities only minutes after the Los Angeles City Council placed a moratorium ... Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Chris

Pompano Beach, FL

#1 Jul 27, 2007
So..instead of going after violent drug taffickers, we go after small medical offices where people who need medical marijuana can get it safely. Great idea!
cancerstricken

Moorpark, CA

#2 Jul 27, 2007
seems the DEA is afraid of the asskicking they'll get from the real drug lords,yeah, no more kickbacks if you bust the hand that pads you and your officers pockets! so attack
the weak sick ones instead? Hey why not camp out at the border and catch some real criminals, or yeah, you paid off by mexican mafia there too!
legalize it, and close the offices of useless
dept. like DEA, or pay them off to go away!

“Fight Terrorism Buy Domsestic”

Since: Dec 06

Hippiegene

#3 Aug 3, 2007
Law Enforcement: FBI Lowers Bar on Past Marijuana Use by Would-Be Agents
8/3/07
In the midst of a campaign to hire hundreds of new agents, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has loosened its policies on past drug use by potential applicants. The old policy, in effect since 1994, disqualified applicants who had smoked marijuana more than 15 times or ever used any illegal drug.

Under the new policy, unannounced but in effect since January, applicants who have not used marijuana for the past three years or for more than just "experimentation" will not be barred. Applicants who have not used any other illegal drug for at least 10 years will not be disqualified, either.

FBI Deputy Director Jeff Berkin told USA Today that the previous system had become "arbitrary" and it was difficult for applicants to pass polygraph tests about drug use because they could not remember how many times they had smoked pot.

"It encourages honesty and allows us to look at the whole person," Berkin said as his agency sought to increase the number of applicants for the 221 agent positions and 121 intelligence analyst positions it has open.

The FBI is only the latest law enforcement agency to amend its policies on past marijuana use. Increasing numbers of departments are reporting problems with applicants being excluded over past pot-smoking, and increasingly, departments are loosening their standards. Even the drug czar's office understands.

"Increasingly, the goal for the screening of security clearance applicants is whether you are a current drug user, rather than whether you used in the past," said Tom Riley, a spokesman for the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy. "It's not whether you have smoked pot four times or 16 times 20 years ago. It's about whether you smoked last week and lied about it."
--I wonder if any of these agents were ex tokers!!!!

“Fight Terrorism Buy Domsestic”

Since: Dec 06

Hippiegene

#5 Aug 4, 2007
Bad Copz- Bad Copz- Whatcha Gonna Do ,Whatcha Gonna Do When You Come To Arrest,But You Toked Too?
Bust Your ASS

United States

#6 Aug 4, 2007
yousofunny jerry. You remind me of some of the pothead kids I knew in the 8th grade. I bet they ended up just like you.
gerald

Ghana

#7 Aug 4, 2007
Hi
I would like to take this opportunity to write you few words of mine.I hope you are fine by the grace of almighty God as i 'm now in Ghana.
The reason why i m writing you this words is that i will like to take you as a good friends of mine.I am lovely and caring and my hobbies is reading story book,bible,cooking,playing football,swimming,watching movies,listen music like HipHop,R&B,Romance.I would like you to extend my dearest greeting to your family those i don't know them.I'm looking forward to hearing from you soon.

“Fight Terrorism Buy Domsestic”

Since: Dec 06

Hippiegene

#8 Aug 4, 2007
Who knows your old 8th grade pot smoking buddies might be fellow agents under the new hiring guidlines.
Bust Your ASS wrote:
yousofunny jerry. You remind me of some of the pothead kids I knew in the 8th grade. I bet they ended up just like you.

“Racism is un-American”

Since: Dec 06

America

#9 Aug 5, 2007
Less than five weeks after the 9/11 atrocity the DEA organized major raids on California medical pot distributors assigning three dozen agents to the effort. No perspective. No ability to set priorities. Typical of the federal drug warriors.

Here is the baic constitutional mandate for federal workers:

"We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity...."

The drug war does none of these things.

The racist application of the drug war subverts the 'establishment of justice'.

The $ 144-billion retail black market for drugs in the U.S. created by prohibition hinders and diminishes "domestic tranquility". Over-whelmed police, drug war over-crowded prisons and the anarchy of drug gangs funded by prohibition economics destroy "domestic tranquility".

The dozens of stateless terrorist armies, including the Taliban and alQaida, that are funded by the profits and supported by the underground resources of the $ 322-billion global drug markets and that fund a billion dollar black market for guns in America are an assault on and direct threat to our "common defense".

The 20 times normal incidence of of AIDs and other STDs in drug war over-crowded prisons and the diversion of our limited police and national security resources to medical pot do anything but "promote the general welfare".

Assaulting the lives of Americans and threatening their liberties for the express purpose of coercing and intimidating them to abandon their personal pursuit of happiness does not "secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity".

The drug war is a direct attack on the constitution of the United States of America. those who support the drug war are, to be frank, un-American.
Bust Your ASS

United States

#10 Aug 5, 2007
If you understood the Constitution and were not under the influence of your dope you would understand that drug proliferation is the cause of general public welfare degredation and is trashing this country. Domestic tranquility is undermined everyday by the very need of addicts such as yourself requiring drugs to fulfill your needs and fix your egg headed addictions. Drug addict/dealer neigbors move into areas they do not belong just because they make enough dirty money dealing dope and trash the area. It is the users that force all the law enforcement spending against the traffickers and then you sit and profess that the goverment should become bigger drug dealers than they already are with meds just to suit your particular addiction. I support the drug war and the only reason it is not as effective as it should be is because you addicts are not treated as the criminal element that you should be treated as since you are the direct cause of the problem. If there would not be any addicts like yourselves then no one could peddle their dope.
YOU are the attack on the constitution and the constitution does not apply to felons. Oh excuse me- you may not have been cought yet.
Let me guess you are also against guns because you cant have one.
Truth

Pompano Beach, FL

#11 Aug 5, 2007
Bust Your ASS wrote:
If you understood the Constitution and were not under the influence of your dope you would understand that drug proliferation is the cause of general public welfare degredation and is trashing this country. Domestic tranquility is undermined everyday by the very need of addicts such as yourself requiring drugs to fulfill your needs and fix your egg headed addictions. Drug addict/dealer neigbors move into areas they do not belong just because they make enough dirty money dealing dope and trash the area. It is the users that force all the law enforcement spending against the traffickers and then you sit and profess that the goverment should become bigger drug dealers than they already are with meds just to suit your particular addiction. I support the drug war and the only reason it is not as effective as it should be is because you addicts are not treated as the criminal element that you should be treated as since you are the direct cause of the problem. If there would not be any addicts like yourselves then no one could peddle their dope.
YOU are the attack on the constitution and the constitution does not apply to felons. Oh excuse me- you may not have been cought yet.
Let me guess you are also against guns because you cant have one.
Fine,lets continue this war on drugs,But do not forget the people who ABUSE a Legal product;ALCOHOL! EVERYONE that drives DUI should be ARRESTED and have their cars immediately impounded! Let's pursue them with the same vigor that we pursue the person who uses illegal drugs. Alcohol is a drug, until we get serious about DRUNK DRIVERS, we do not have a WAR ON DRUGS!! DRUNKEN DRIVERS are a criminal element too. Lets get tough with them too. Jail them and seize their cars,NO EXCUSES!

“Racism is un-American”

Since: Dec 06

America

#12 Aug 5, 2007
Bust Your ASS wrote:
If you understood the Constitution and were not under the influence of your dope you would understand that drug proliferation is the cause of general public welfare degredation and is trashing this country. Domestic tranquility is undermined everyday by the very need of addicts such as yourself requiring drugs to fulfill your needs and fix your egg headed addictions. Drug addict/dealer neigbors move into areas they do not belong just because they make enough dirty money dealing dope and trash the area. It is the users that force all the law enforcement spending against the traffickers and then you sit and profess that the goverment should become bigger drug dealers than they already are with meds just to suit your particular addiction. I support the drug war and the only reason it is not as effective as it should be is because you addicts are not treated as the criminal element that you should be treated as since you are the direct cause of the problem. If there would not be any addicts like yourselves then no one could peddle their dope.
YOU are the attack on the constitution and the constitution does not apply to felons. Oh excuse me- you may not have been cought yet.
Let me guess you are also against guns because you cant have one.
False innuendo, insults, denigration and personal attacks are not rebuttal. Grow up and I will be happy to engage you in a civil discussion of public policy.
Bust Your ASS

United States

#13 Aug 5, 2007
In Florida drunk drivers are punished severely just ask any Highway patrol trooper. As for aahpat. I have neither the time or the desire to sit here and discuss any of this further with drug addicts and promoters. I am just about the only one against drugs on this blog. I am not the only one in this country even though it may seem like it. I am the only one that actually gives a hoot to sit here and waste my time trying to argue about it. I would not eat anything that came from a stranger, but you addicts ingest crap that comes from unknown criminals. The only reason you all are not already dead is because the criminals need you for further business.

“Yeehadi”

Since: Aug 07

Woodland Hills

#14 Aug 5, 2007
Chris wrote:
So..instead of going after violent drug taffickers, we go after small medical offices where people who need medical marijuana can get it safely. Great idea!
Actually, it makes sense to go after the entire distribution chain. Get the users, the distributors and the traffickers. You make it sound like if they go after these offices then they are ignoring the others. The evidence says otherwise.

And fact is, it's still illegal.-Cat

“Racism is un-American”

Since: Dec 06

America

#15 Aug 5, 2007
Bust Your ASS wrote:
As for aahpat. I have neither the time or the desire to sit here and discuss any of this further with drug addicts and promoters.
I neither use drugs nor do I promote drug use. You are lying. Misrepresenting your opponent to make your argument. Childishly attacking when you have nothing of any intellectual or factual value to persuade anyone with.
Bust Your ASS wrote:

I am just about the only one against drugs on this blog. I am not the only one in this country even though it may seem like it.
You are in the minority according to most polls. This forum is just an indication of that. Your side is the most brutish which leads most people to simply not want to be associated with you or the positions you espouse.
Bust Your ASS wrote:

I am the only one that actually gives a hoot to sit here and waste my time trying to argue about it.
But two sentences ago you said: "I have neither the time or the desire to sit here..."

Make up your mind.

“Racism is un-American”

Since: Dec 06

America

#16 Aug 5, 2007
Bust Your ASS wrote:

I would not eat anything that came from a stranger, but you addicts ingest crap that comes from unknown criminals.
Tens of millions of other America do. They are forced to by the laws that you ignorantly promote. Among the big reasons for changing the laws and ending prohibition is to take the business out of the hands of gangsters. You 'just say no'. You prefer to keep uncontrolled this untaxed $ 144 billion annual retail drug market in America. Your policy preference amounts to a $ 144 billion a year subsidy program for gangsters, addicts and terrorists.

An Afghan policy expert, after returning from Afghanistan last fall, told the U.S. Senate foreign Relations Committee that: "The international drug control regime, which criminalizes narcotics, does not reduce drug use, but it does produce huge profits for criminals and the armed groups and corrupt officials who protect them. Our drug policy grants huge subsidies to our enemies."

Domestically, those enemies are drug dealers, gangsters and social predators who all thrive in the black market you impose on America. Your policy is supporting our enemies both foreign and domestic. That amounts to treason.
Bust Your ASS wrote:

The only reason you all are not already dead is because the criminals need you for further business.
Too many Americans die from criminal distributed drugs while you callously laugh. You impose the laws that put Americans in this danger and you viciously sneer at their death. You are a heartless uncivilized human being.

America could regulate, tax and license the anarchy out of the drug market. Regulation, taxation and licensing, democratic institutions. You just say no. You insult. You attack. You cast baseless lying aspersions about people you do not know.

I have not intoxicated, with any substance, in more than thirty years. I see the damage done to our democracy, our public safety, our public health and our national security by the drug prohibition. I oppose the drug war because it is subverting American democracy. Florida is the text book example of this. The 2000 election would have turned out 100% different had there been no hundreds of thousands of Americans criminally disenfranchised in Florida. The only way you authoritarians can get control of this nation is to steal it by subverting the democracy.

“Racism is un-American”

Since: Dec 06

America

#17 Aug 5, 2007
America does not have enough people to man the police, emergency services and military that we need today. Can't afford it and most people would rather be doing more productive things than have their lives wasted by the right-wing on foolish drug war policies and even more foolish wars like Iraq.

Our border is a mess because the drug trade is so lucrative that it has inspired an entire industry dedicated to circumventing our best border security.

And we have no resources for more security. Since 911 the U.S. Navy has been forced to reduce the six ships that patrolled the Pacific of of Mexico and California to one ship.

Our military is having such a hard time getting manpower that we are actively recruiting in Central and South America.

In a regulated market the gangsters, cartels and terrorists would no longer have access to the $ 322 billion annual global intoxicant drug market. they would need to find another business but they would no longer have this $ 322 billion a year subsidy.

The Madrid train bombing would not have had the financing it did except for drugs being illegal. Thank you to the drug warriors for all of that unnecessary death and destruction. the Taliban are shooting bullets and throwing bombs at our troops in Afghanistan today thanks to the fact that heroin is illegal which gives them a market for Afghan opium.

Any time the alQaida wants to ship someone across a border they need only have that person use the established smuggling routes financed by drugs. Including routes into the U.S. from both the north and south. Literally tons of Afghan heroin cross the U.S. border each year. Smuggling a person with a nuclear weapon in is easy. The drug warriors insist on it.

Contamimate five pounds of the tons of Afghan opium with anthrax and distribute it into the five largest cities in America and America's population would be reduced to a few million in two months. Because their habits are illegal the addicts would be reluctant to cooperate with authorities in tracking down the stuff and the contaminated people they come into contact with. America could prevent this threat with democratic institutions of regulation, licensing and taxation and a public health oriented drug control policy instead of prohibition. Drug warriors 'just say no'.

Thank you to the drug warriors for insisting that this is the world we must live with. Sharing a nation with you backassward folks amounts to national mass suicide.
Bust Your ASS

United States

#18 Aug 5, 2007
aahpat,
Addicts put themselves in danger- Not my problen. As far as I would remotely care I have no bad feelings for I am not part of the problem. Heartless no- my heart is with my family when some addict tries to break in to steal what I worked hard for or try to mug my wife for a few bucks to buy some crack.- Sorry pal.
You can't even trust the judges since even one of the judges from the anna nicole thing was cought smoking weed in a park. If he would have been a federal judge at least he would have been on a drug testing program.

“Fight Terrorism Buy Domsestic”

Since: Dec 06

Hippiegene

#19 Aug 6, 2007
Your only answer to Aahpats two Post of TRUTH is you live in fear of Addicts causing harm to your loved ones or losing part of your material world to them.But yet you say you are not part of the problem????? You are a major part of the problem you prefer to see men incarcerated adn raped by Bubba,this is sick heartless logic.There is a more $cent$able Solution. Legaliaztion-Taxation-State Distribution.You do not support this measure as it would eliminate the need for increased Prisons and Law Enfocement,you know Job Security for You and Your Kind. We are discussing Marijuana not crack.Remeber you can't trust Prison Guards either,remember the mess/fiasco at Tallahassee Womens Prison don't you? http://www.startribune.com/484/story/508567.h...
Bust Your ASS wrote:
aahpat,
Addicts put themselves in danger- Not my problen. As far as I would remotely care I have no bad feelings for I am not part of the problem. Heartless no- my heart is with my family when some addict tries to break in to steal what I worked hard for or try to mug my wife for a few bucks to buy some crack.- Sorry pal.
You can't even trust the judges since even one of the judges from the anna nicole thing was cought smoking weed in a park. If he would have been a federal judge at least he would have been on a drug testing program.

“Racism is un-American”

Since: Dec 06

America

#20 Aug 6, 2007
Bust Your ASS wrote:
aahpat,
Addicts put themselves in danger- Not my problen. As far as I would remotely care I have no bad feelings for I am not part of the problem. Heartless no- my heart is with my family when some addict tries to break in to steal what I worked hard for or try to mug my wife for a few bucks to buy some crack.- Sorry pal.
You can't even trust the judges since even one of the judges from the anna nicole thing was cought smoking weed in a park. If he would have been a federal judge at least he would have been on a drug testing program.
If you even remotely cared about your family you would consider what I have been saying. I live in a northern urban center. I know first hand about the crime you speak of. And I know the solution to that crime. Break the economic crime cycle that prohibition imposes. The way to do that is to recognize that addicts are people with a disease and that by treating them medically we can also get them to stop using crime to support themselves.

Addicts commit most of the street crime in America. Small populations that need lots of money because the drugs are illegal. The Swiss have significantly REDUCED CRIME by getting the hard core addicts into clinics where part of their subsiduzed $ 20-30 a day treatment is a committment from them to stop their $ 75-300 a day crime sprees. Not simply lock them up for a time but get them to stop committing crime.

Here is an article by the Swiss government about their program.
----------
Swiss heroin model reporting benhttp://www.swissinfo.org/en g/front/detail/Swiss_heroin_mo del_reporting_benefits.html?si teSect=105&sid=7032610 &cKey=1157366472000

"And there is more good news concerning the fight against crime and prostitution.

"Compared with countries like Britain, where crime is very often linked to substance abuse, this trend has almost disappeared in Switzerland over the last few years," said Nordt."
----------

This includes no longer dealing drugs. With fewer addicts selling to their friends there are fewer children exposed to the drugs in the first place.

Since Swiss youth now perceive addicts as sick people their perception of addicts is no longer that of rebels. They have overcome the forbidden fruit enticement that illegal drugs have in our country. The Swiss have fewer new addicts in their society as a result.

Fewer new addicts and fewer addicts committing crime. Isn't that what you want? We can have that and reduce the threat of gangsterism and terrorism at the same time.

Will you continue to 'just say no'?

“Yeehadi”

Since: Aug 07

Woodland Hills

#21 Aug 6, 2007
Aahpat,

IN TYPICAL LIBERAL FASHION, you bring in elements unconnected to the topic at hand just so that topic isn't discussed. You sound like a politician.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr nter Username 19,573
any teens in Los Angeles wanna hook up? Sat hey5482 1
is a afro life more valuable than a Hispanic life Fri who da fuhk 2
California Wind Farms Kilt All The Birds (Aug '11) Fri who da fuhk 4
American Sniper Goes Beyond Tradition to Take ... Fri who da fuhk 2
What Gwyneth Paltrow Has to Do With Saving the ... Fri who da fuhk 12
Bachman Gomert Presidential Campaign Heats Up Fri who da fuhk 2

Los Angeles News Video

Los Angeles Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Los Angeles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Los Angeles News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Los Angeles

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:36 am PST