California Supreme Court upholds same...

California Supreme Court upholds same-sex marriage

There are 311 comments on the LA Daily News story from May 26, 2009, titled California Supreme Court upholds same-sex marriage. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Robin Tyler and Diane Olson were married on the steps of the Beverly Hills Municipal Courthouse in one of the first gay marriages in California on June 16, 2008.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Rick

United States

#1 May 26, 2009
As a lawyer who is also gay, this ruling should NOT be a disappointment to gay activists. The California Supreme Court as an institution could not make a constitutional exception for Prop 8. That is what gay legal activists were seeking in this decision: to be excepted from the unfortunate and uninformed decision at the ballot box.

The right and correct next step is for gay activists to collect the signatures to put a repeal of Prop 8 and guarantee of marriage equality in the California constitution. Demographics are on our side. Young people do not think it is a big deal and every day another bigot of the old generation dies. In fact, I think that if the matter were taken to the next possible California ballot, it would now pass.
Anon

Irvine, CA

#3 May 26, 2009
Rick...don't think that it's just going to be gay rights activists who are going to collect signatures and stand up for equality on the next go-around on this matter. There are plenty of us out there that are straight, parents, married, etc, who are absolutely appalled by the narrow-mindedness and bigotry that we've seen...we're gonna be right there with you, collecting signatures, making our voices heard, standing on street corners with signs, etc.
ferrari119

Redding, CA

#4 May 26, 2009
The people of the great state of California have spoken and the Supreme court has honored them. To over turn the POPULAR vote is a slap in the face of the voting system. To be married homosexually and say it is blessed by God is a slap in God's face and an abomination.
THANK YOU for upholding the LAW.
Get Over It

Rosemead, CA

#5 May 26, 2009
Rick wrote:
As a lawyer who is also gay, this ruling should NOT be a disappointment to gay activists. The California Supreme Court as an institution could not make a constitutional exception for Prop 8. That is what gay legal activists were seeking in this decision: to be excepted from the unfortunate and uninformed decision at the ballot box.
The right and correct next step is for gay activists to collect the signatures to put a repeal of Prop 8 and guarantee of marriage equality in the California constitution. Demographics are on our side. Young people do not think it is a big deal and every day another bigot of the old generation dies. In fact, I think that if the matter were taken to the next possible California ballot, it would now pass.
Please, Mr. "Rick", control your bigotted response. The people of California had spoken on Nov. 4,2008..."marriage is between a MAN AND A WOMAN...PERIOD! Get over it!!!
Spider

Alpharetta, GA

#6 May 26, 2009
ferrari119 wrote:
The people of the great state of California have spoken and the Supreme court has honored them. To over turn the POPULAR vote is a slap in the face of the voting system. To be married homosexually and say it is blessed by God is a slap in God's face and an abomination.
THANK YOU for upholding the LAW.
This is where the religion industry has messed up big time. Government civil marriage has nothing to do with religion whatsoever. Separation of religion and government is a Federal Constitutional mandate.

Civil marriage records kept by the county courthouse is what this is all about. A civil marriage license is issued and registered, then Judges and Justices of the Peace can perform marriages without discriminating against the civil rights of chosen people or disturbing churches.

The new laws do not affect Holy Matrimony as perfomed by Churches in any way, shape, or form. Gays have been marrying in gay and gay/friendly churches, temples, and synogogues for decades, and it hasn't affected your marriage one iota.
marza

Downey, CA

#7 May 26, 2009
Yes one for morality!! The people voted no more perverse behavior and the judges could not deny majority.
I am over it

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#8 May 26, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>Please, Mr. "Rick", control your bigotted response. I love receiving rim jobs but the people of California have spoken on Nov. 4,2008..."marriage is between a MAN AND A WOMAN FOR ANOTHER YEAR OR SO...PERIOD! Bend over, I'm hard for young boys, give it to me again big boy!!!
Wait until 2010. It's inevitable that it will pass in the near future. Get over YOUR antiquated and bigoted ways.
anamouse

El Segundo, CA

#9 May 26, 2009
Rick wrote:
Why fight all the religions people that would like to see you have virtually all the rights as long as you don't treat defile their sacred word,(Marriage)? To them that word is like the word GOD, it has a meaning you can't possibly appreciate and they will vote to protect it every time even if as you point out, most of them have nothing against Gays or gay rights.

You know you pi ss em off when you utter the words Go d D amn It, and it's the same with the word Marriage. You have just attacked their religion.

Instead of trying to take over their sacred word add all the rights you think you're missing to civil unions and get it over with.

As you said, the new demographics are already in your favor, so why fight about rights you can have right now if you are just willing to fight the smart fight instead of fighting forever over one stupid word. When you fight over one stupid word you sound as stupid to me as they do.
Jeff

Brea, CA

#10 May 26, 2009
I know we like to think we're really progressive out here in California; but this state was one of the leaders in the Eugenics movement of the early 20th century. It is no surprise to me that rights would be denied to a minority because of the irrational fears of a majority.

I say we move to ban ALL marriage in California!

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#11 May 26, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>Please, Mr. "Rick", control your bigotted response. The people of California had spoken on Nov. 4,2008..."marriage is between a MAN AND A WOMAN...PERIOD! Get over it!!!
Really........well in CALIFORNIA THERE ARE 18,000 LEGALLY MARRIED GAYS AND LESBIANS

You must of MISSED that
Harry Sucio

Midway City, CA

#12 May 26, 2009
It's called the tyranny of the majority. It's one of the imperfections of a democratic system. We have a state and Federal constitution in place to try to combat it. I think Prop 8 is a clear illustration of the flaws in California's ballot initiative system. However much I personally disagree with Prop 8, I do agree with the court decision.
On a lighter note, as a straight person around a lot of gays, I always thought the best parts about being gay were: 1) you don't have to use birth control, 2) you don't have kids, and 3) you don't have to get married.
You all are trying to eliminate 2 out of the 3 advantages of being gay. I'm happily married, but I will honestly admit (at least among other males), that age and societal pressure are the real reasons I got married. I love my wife, but if I had the option of being in a committed longterm unmarried relationship over being married? No question. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.
be informed

United States

#13 May 26, 2009
Spider wrote:
<quoted text>
This is where the religion industry has messed up big time. Government civil marriage has nothing to do with religion whatsoever. Separation of religion and government is a Federal Constitutional mandate.
Civil marriage records kept by the county courthouse is what this is all about. A civil marriage license is issued and registered, then Judges and Justices of the Peace can perform marriages without discriminating against the civil rights of chosen people or disturbing churches.
The new laws do not affect Holy Matrimony as perfomed by Churches in any way, shape, or form. Gays have been marrying in gay and gay/friendly churches, temples, and synogogues for decades, and it hasn't affected your marriage one iota.
Actually this does affect churches. If a pastor/ minister refuses to perform the ceremony based on their religious convictions, there are legal repercussions for breaking the law. Why support a law that compels people to go against their moral and religious upbringing and beliefs and punishes them for refusing? Freedom of religion would be in serious jeopardy.

Since: Jul 07

United States

#14 May 26, 2009
Get Over It wrote:
<quoted text>Please, Mr. "Rick", control your bigotted response. The people of California had spoken on Nov. 4,2008..."marriage is between a MAN AND A WOMAN...PERIOD! Get over it!!!
Actually the court did not say marriage is between a man and woman. They actually said the same sex marriage is legal in CA as there are 18000+ of them and they are most definitely legal.

While you concentrated so hard on upholding the prop 8 you didn't take into consideration the situation of allowing those marriage to remain legal. Not only that but it's been proven a simple majority can change the constitution back to one that is less discriminating.
Norman Moore

Winnetka, CA

#15 May 26, 2009
anamouse wrote:
<quoted text>
Why fight all the religions people that would like to see you have virtually all the rights as long as you don't treat defile their sacred word,(Marriage)? To them that word is like the word GOD, it has a meaning you can't possibly appreciate and they will vote to protect it every time even if as you point out, most of them have nothing against Gays or gay rights.
You know you pi ss em off when you utter the words Go d D amn It, and it's the same with the word Marriage. You have just attacked their religion.
Instead of trying to take over their sacred word add all the rights you think you're missing to civil unions and get it over with.
As you said, the new demographics are already in your favor, so why fight about rights you can have right now if you are just willing to fight the smart fight instead of fighting forever over one stupid word. When you fight over one stupid word you sound as stupid to me as they do.
You and Rick in the first comment have said it all. I support equal rights for gay couples using another term rather than marriage. However the State Supreme Court ruled this time as they did in their previous ruling, that put Prop 8 on the ballot, that in accordance with the State Constitution at the time of their deliberations as they rightfully should have.

I want to respect the sensitivities of truly religious persons, not bigots speaking in the name of religion, and thus a separate but equal relationship so that gay couples can have all the legal prerogatives without offending anyone. Put that on the ballot and I'm there to vote YES!.
skoobusnla

Acton, CA

#16 May 26, 2009
I am one of the 18000 try and take my Marriage away,
Get over it you Bible Thumping SOBs

“I see stupid people”

Since: Dec 08

Tempe. AZ

#17 May 26, 2009
be informed wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually this does affect churches. If a pastor/ minister refuses to perform the ceremony based on their religious convictions, there are legal repercussions for breaking the law. Why support a law that compels people to go against their moral and religious upbringing and beliefs and punishes them for refusing? Freedom of religion would be in serious jeopardy.
LIAR.. that is a complete lie told by the supporters of prop H8 to scare people into voting for the measure. No church will be held accountable for refusing to marry a couple that violates their basic tenants. Did you know that if you are divorced you can not be married in the catholic church? They will refuse to marry you because that is a violation of one of their tenants. I dont remember hearing of anyone suing the catholic church for not marrying s divorced person, but than again I could be wrong.

This is a travesty but it is just a small inconsequential battle. The war will be one as many other states are showing us, times are changeing, no more will gay americans accept what we are given, we demand and will not settle for anything less than full equality.
William and Jay

Torrance, CA

#19 May 26, 2009
Well, California had a chance to be progressive and a leader within the united states, but it can now go to hell along with all of its financial debt and hatred brewing within the hearts and minds of the majority of its residents.

HATRED, it is now legal and popular. That is what this decision is about, that is what California is about, the right to HATE, the right to be hateful, the right to hate your neighbor.

So, LOVE lost to HATE, PERIOD, California is now known as the love-less and cash-less state.

So much for change, it is just cheap talk, led by President Obama, building on a foundation that is cracked because it does not offer equality to all as the constitution says.

UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, that is what we have, so sorry others do not know what UNCONDITIONAL LOVE is all about.

Julian B Duron

United States

#20 May 26, 2009
It took two majority votes of the people here in California to get our leaders to understand that this is a Democracy. One should have been enough. It is also effident that the Justices understand the meaning of RECALL.
fkn stupid

Los Angeles, CA

#21 May 26, 2009
recall all those judges

Since: Jul 07

United States

#22 May 26, 2009
Julian B Duron wrote:
It took two majority votes of the people here in California to get our leaders to understand that this is a Democracy. One should have been enough. It is also effident that the Justices understand the meaning of RECALL.
LOL

Are you going to say the samething next year when the constitution is changed back by popular vote?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hundreds March In Anaheim, Demand Arrest Of LAP... 39 min patosm 13
Review: Metro Brown Line I-5 Frwy Bridge Overpass 2 hr Well Well 3
Review: Los Angeles Union Station 2 hr LA METRO BROWN LINE 4
Trumppp protest 2 hr Jim 1
News LA cops fatally shoot man near CNN Hollywood af... 2 hr Pessimistic1 7
News Cudahy Case Recalls Bell Corruption Scandal (Jun '12) 2 hr Richard P Montgomery 4
Review: Chinatown Metro Rail Station 3 hr LA METRO BROWN LINE 3

Los Angeles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Angeles Mortgages