California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 Full story: Chain Store Age 5,117

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Full Story
S load

Covina, CA

#5828 Aug 14, 2014
Just bring your owners manual

Since: May 14

Eureka, CA

#5829 Aug 14, 2014
Where are all the pro-choice people crying about losing their freedom of choice?
sears catalogs

Covina, CA

#5830 Aug 14, 2014
This is another Out HOuse of a topic.
Grisele Martinez

Dublin, CA

#5834 Aug 15, 2014
ARIZONA WE LOVE YOU wrote:
Just another way of reaching into my overly stretched butt hole in hopes taking a few more tax DOLLARS !!
They wont ban these bags but they are sure to attached a "Fee" aka TAX
Its a lot like the $8.00 additional "Fee" you play when purchasing a LCD Screen. They say its a recycling charge but the last I knew there was no redemption centers to get your money back when the stupid thing dies.
I say start dumpling your plastic bags into the ocean. Lets the sea life consume it. Fish love getting stuck in it like a mini-vacation
PROBLEM SOLVED CALIFORNIA.
I bought a tv few months ago cause it was on sale once i saw the add ups i saw a recycling fee of $20 i was like wtf i guess so its just a way maybe for the state to make up tbe money of their losts who knows only they know and it wont have its way to prove it either but we have corrupted government as well its not just mexico who has the government all mest up either its just everywhere basically!!
old news republican hags

Covina, CA

#5835 Aug 15, 2014
Old news republican/GOP hags are at it again.
Toxic Waste

San Francisco, CA

#5836 Aug 15, 2014
albert wrote:
Why dont retailers use biodegradeable bags?
Why aren't tea baggers biodegradable? They certainly should not be recycled.
GlendaHisbest

Chicago, IL

#5837 Aug 15, 2014
Support the right and don't be uptight !
OilFields

Covina, CA

#5838 Aug 15, 2014
Old news republican/GOP hags are at it again, why aren't tea baggers biodegradable?

They are on the toxic do not recycle list.
Department of Sanitation

San Francisco, CA

#5839 Aug 17, 2014
Use a separate bin marked "Toxic Waste" to dispose of republicans. Do not put the bin out until collection day or you will be cited for littering.
Soilent Green

Covina, CA

#5840 Aug 17, 2014
Old news republican/GOP hags are at it again, why aren't tea baggers biodegradable?

They are on the toxic do not recycle list.

They dilute the Soilent Green cakes.
Green Soilent

United States

#5844 Aug 18, 2014
Tacos were great today !
Concerned Earth Citizen

Norwalk, CA

#5845 Aug 20, 2014
To all of you that think it is a waste of time and that plastic bags are not a problem, you need to watch the documentary "Plastic Paradise" Maybe it will open your tightly shut and ignorant eyes.
Bee Keepers

Covina, CA

#5846 Aug 20, 2014
August 2014

Monsanto has been lobbying the Mexican government to approve genetically engineered crops and bee-killing pesticides in the Yucatan, one of the biggest honey producing regions in the world.

With honeybees already dying in massive numbers due to the overuse of pesticides, this could be the final nail in the coffin for Mexico's bees.

But the beekeepers are fighting back and just scored a major legal victory over Monsanto and their bee-killing pesticides.
standing ground

Sierra Madre, CA

#5850 Aug 22, 2014
Alabama man charged with stabbing his cousin to death after fighting over DVDs of "The Fast and the Furious" films says he acted in self-defense under the state's "stand your ground" law..
Southern Hazard

San Francisco, CA

#5851 Aug 22, 2014
standing ground wrote:
Alabama man charged with stabbing his cousin to death after fighting over DVDs of "The Fast and the Furious" films says he acted in self-defense under the state's "stand your ground" law..
In Alabama his cousin was probably also his wife and probably republican, so let's hope she's still biodegradable.
stand your ground

Sierra Madre, CA

#5852 Aug 22, 2014
Florida is quit a stupid state so far.

stand your ground

Sierra Madre, CA

#5853 Aug 22, 2014
Florida is a stupid state also.

Sancho

Fullerton, CA

#5854 Aug 22, 2014
Crazy, man. What's going on here?
Molly Pitcher

Chula Vista, CA

#5855 Aug 22, 2014
OK, well I won't spend money anywhere that doesn't over complimentary sacks. Nothing worse than forgetting a bag or not having enough room and being told you have to buy more. Also, those reusable bags are less environmentally friendly once they wear out and end up in the landfill or ocean.
Thursday

Sierra Madre, CA

#5856 Aug 22, 2014
August 21, 2014.

Thursday a US judge strikes down Florida gay marriage ban..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: MI Windows and Doors (Apr '09) 1 hr KGR 110
Rename Griffith Park to Villaraigosa Park? 11 hr La Merced Dude 6
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed Jim Jones 19,549
cat scan Tue Blah 3
Do you use self storage? (Feb '11) Tue Go Blue Forever 31
Earthquake could imperil L.A.'s water supply Tue Get Unstuck 2
Free Auto Repair Information - Quick Fixes- Adv... (Mar '11) Tue Get Unstuck 5

Los Angeles News Video

Los Angeles Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Los Angeles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Los Angeles News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Los Angeles