California seeks to ban free, single-use carryout bags in retail

Jun 5, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Chain Store Age

New York City The California State Assembly on Wednesday narrowly approved a bill would make California the first state in the nation to ban single-use plastic and paper bags from being handed out free of charge at supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores and liquor stores.

Comments
4,381 - 4,400 of 4,975 Comments Last updated Yesterday

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

love for both sides wrote:
Our Government is not telling anyone how to bring their food home. Not allowing the store to give bags away for free is not telling you anything. It is telling the store. Your crying about your pennies and the Government, then save your pennies and bring your own bags. Your products will cost less, if the savings are passed to the consumer. Go to another country and see what our world is realy like. It is very ugly, dirty,overpopulated. Everyone on this planet has to share the land and air, everything. I Bet your ass has never even left the USA. The Australian's can't buy bottled water. In most countries you can't drink water unless its bottled. Americans are spoilded brats. Sometimes its the Gov't job to protect us from us. How many people can sleep in one bed. Soon you have to change the sheets, will there always be enough? Even recycling uses resources, they are not infinite. Selfish!
Where have you traveled besides Somalia?

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Our Government is not telling anyone how to bring their food home. Not allowing the store to give bags away for free is not telling you anything. It is telling the store. Your crying about your pennies and the Government, then save your pennies and bring your own bags. Your products will cost less, if the savings are passed to the consumer. Go to another country and see what our world is realy like. It is very ugly, dirty,overpopulated. Everyone on this planet has to share the land and air, everything. I Bet your ass has never even left the USA. The Australian's can't buy bottled water. In most countries you can't drink water unless its bottled. Americans are spoilded brats. Sometimes its the Gov't job to protect us from us. How many people can sleep in one bed. Soon you have to change the sheets, will there always be enough? Even recycling uses resources, they are not infinite. Selfish!
If they ban water, why not coke and Pepsi? Maybe they trust their tap water, here in USA I don't trust all the mercury leaking into the water from the old mines or the pesticides from farming in the tap water. Wonder why we have a high rate of cancer here? Keep drinking the tap water, it must be safe. LOL
Number 9

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

While it's nice to see the number 9, it's even nicer to ride number 9.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

love for both sides.

The problem with your theory is that "the stores" are Government licensed entities. If you doubt that, just rent a storefront and start doing business. You would either refrain from doing business until you got Government licenses or otherwise end up in some rat infested Government prison.

As far as existing Government licensed stores reducing their prices after Government transfers the cost of providing grocery and goods from Government licensed stores to the overcharged consumer goes, consider the case of Long Beach. I have not surveyed retail outlets to any great extent. After all, Long Beachers were required to pay the Long Beach premium for goods and services even before the city imposed the Lowenthal grocery and goods bag harassment tax. I have, though, surveyed Government grocery stores. I have found that grocery prices INCREASED, rather than decreased after the Lowenthal harassment tax was imposed by local activists of the revolutionary ruling class.

As far as being packed like sardines goes, if the problem is overcrowding rather than the revolutionary ideologues,*(now in power)*, then why do the revolutionaries encourage greater migration? Hint: Greater population increases the cost of housing.*(for ordinary folks, housing is a cost, not "an investment")* This enables revolutionary Government to impose higher properties taxes on the population. This enables Government banks to impose a greater degree of indebted servitude on "the people" which, it is claimed "is good for the economy".

Ronald
Number 9

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

All the tracks have been pulled up from in front of Ronald McDonalds house.
Misty Me

Arroyo Grande, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

I live in San Luis Obispo County a predominantly tourist area, this law took effect in SLO on October 2012.It is a pain, see they still use durable plastic bags but charge you for them.Here's the real kicker the bags that are sold are made in China not U.S.A.The resident's are now paying for their plastic/paper bags that was once free.The store doesn't get any of this fee, it goes to County Supervisors.It feels like a tax fee,tourist do not understand and go 30 minutes to Santa Maria, which is in Santa Barbara County and they get free bags there.I keep forgetting my bags so i always end up paying for them.
Tired of Agenda 21 law pushers we need to get them out of our Counties and follow the other States that kicked the ICLEI (International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives)out.
Number 9

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

That's why number 9 has a whistle

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

Misty Me wrote:
I live in San Luis Obispo County a predominantly tourist area, this law took effect in SLO on October 2012.It is a pain, see they still use durable plastic bags but charge you for them.Here's the real kicker the bags that are sold are made in China not U.S.A.The resident's are now paying for their plastic/paper bags that was once free.The store doesn't get any of this fee, it goes to County Supervisors.It feels like a tax fee,tourist do not understand and go 30 minutes to Santa Maria, which is in Santa Barbara County and they get free bags there.I keep forgetting my bags so i always end up paying for them.
Tired of Agenda 21 law pushers we need to get them out of our Counties and follow the other States that kicked the ICLEI (International Council for Local Environmental Initiatives)out.
Well said, it's like most of the clean air projects, follow the money and it always leads to the pockets of politicians.
Number 9

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

If there was ever a good reason to pay homage to number 9, then today it.
miss roseline

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

miss roseline | 1 min ago
I want to say thank you thank you thank you to drudenaku for everything so far. To everyone who
doesnít believe in spell, I was one of those ones at
first. I wasnít quite sure if I wanted to do this since
Iíve tried others so-called spells casters and they did
not work and was a waste of my time and money.
However, when I read through the testimonials of
other people at this website and after I talked drudenaku who answered all my questions and was
very nice about everything, I decided to give it a try.
I figured it would be my last try to get my guy back.
So my story is that I was at my office when the guy I
am in love with told me that he wasnít in love with
me and never will be and that he didnít want to
speak or see me again, especially since he was
talking to this other girl. When I talked to
Drudenaku@gmail.com he let me know which
spells would be most appropriate for me and I chose
the ones that was to get him back to me and stay
with me and want to marry me.As soon as he
started on the spells, my guy came back into my
life! It was a miracle to me and Iím so thankful for
that. Things have been going well, and pretty much
according to what Drudenaku said would happen.
Heís always there when you need him and thatís
also after the spell is done. Iím still waiting for the
spells to completely manifest, but with all that has
happened so far Iím very happy because given only
four months ago in March, if you asked me or my
friends if I would have anticipated how things were
right nowÖno one would believe it! Udenaku. contact is
email address drudenaku@gmail.com or contact on +2348162558115
Number 9

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

Judged:

Number 9 has laid the path and set the course for all of you to follow.
KarenzKrazyKlan

Santa Paula, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Michaela Mihailova wrote:
The banning of single use paper bags from being given out for free is a definitely a step in the right direction. Plastic bags are given out too freely now, with cashiers putting every thing in a bag, even single items like an apple or a banana. Given that it is assumed that most people use over 130 bags each year, it is essential that everyone starts making changes to be more environmentally conscious. The majority of the plastic bags used are not even recycled and instead sent to landfills, or worse, they wind up on beaches, roads, and sidewalks. Not to mention the thousands of blastic bags flouting in the ocean and consequentially effecting marine life.This new law is going is the first step in making California and plastic-bag-free state.
RECYCLING is up 2 the individual 2 be earth conscience! Do u honestly think that banning plastic bags will even make a difference? When every Manufacturer is guilty of "OVERPACKAGING" everything. Observe, how many times do u buy a box, & have 2 open the bag inside? Then what about the prices of the earth friendly bags? Absolutely outrageous ! Also if u walk out without a bag, every single person wud look suspicious of theft. With all the technology offered 2 us, I believe we are capable of ANYTHING as a COUNTRY, but 1st understand, it takes a village 2 care enough about life & preserving our natural resources. Too many mean ppl in this world who don't care about themselves much less others or the environment. There r ways I'm sure we cud figure it out! Together.Ppl sadly don't care these days, 2 make a difference. Eg: Our Country's freedoms & right 2 vote 2 make a difference is ignored by too many citizens. Obama gets elected for 2 terms, & The the majority of the country, "betray & abandon Our Leader & Our Country"
Kidnap

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2013

Judged:

Nasty new malware kidnaps your files, shame on them.
dinesh yadav

India

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

any one want business from india
add me on whatsapp +919928723311
Number 9

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2013

Judged:

Watch out for the fork in the tracks and spoons too.
Mary Hadalamb

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Sunnyvale,Ca to ban thinking.
Head ached in

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 23, 2013

Judged:

Head ached in San Francisco.

Since: Jun 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Just go on ebay and buy your own plastic bags like the stores used to ofeer, they are something like $7 for 1000. The law only says the stores cant offer them, nothing wrong with bringing your own...then after using them for groceries,i use them for the dogs crap. Screw the Libs...
Great Lies

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 5, 2013

Judged:

Founded by Radical Right zealots like Paul Weyrich and fueled by corporate special interests, ALEC has been responsible for some of the worst anti-voter, anti-consumer, anti-worker and, going back to its roots,
Slick Willie

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2013

Has anyone seen slick willie # 5153

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

21 Users are viewing the Los Angeles Forum right now

Search the Los Angeles Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Ferguson - Los Angeles, CA 7 min Keep Up 4 Truth 2
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 55 min Iceeie 200,556
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr the truth really ... 18,731
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 3 hr facts faced 15,929
Reservoir Dogs North adams MA are the Bitchs of... (Oct '13) 3 hr supporter 25
Fugitive sought for shooting of pregnant woman ... (Nov '11) 10 hr EMF GANG 48
Earl Sweatshirt Calls Taylor Swift's New Video ... Tue hahhhaa 1
•••
•••

Los Angeles News Video

•••
•••

Los Angeles Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••