Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
184,501 - 184,520 of 200,369 Comments Last updated 41 min ago
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Helpful Hints wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry friend, there is no such thing as equal protection under the law when it comes to relationships. If I choose not to have a normal marriage with my girl friend, then I can not ask for equal protection as a person who choose to have a normal marriage. Sorry, gay prostitution has always been the staple of the gay community, younger gays going after older gays for financial means. Now, these younger prostitution minded gays want their financial protection via marriages. Your last statement is only a reflection of your face in the mirror.
you really do need to sit down, take the time, and read the court documents that include the arguments from both sides of the issue. you'd find that the 14th amendment's guarantees of due process equal protection were used and upheld in the court's decisions.

additionally, there are dozens of other cases across america in many states with similar issues at question. one by one, my friend, those state bans will fall.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
you really do need to sit down, take the time, and read the court documents that include the arguments from both sides of the issue. you'd find that the 14th amendment's guarantees of due process equal protection were used and upheld in the court's decisions.
additionally, there are dozens of other cases across america in many states with similar issues at question. one by one, my friend, those state bans will fall.
And when the last one goes down, that will be cause to celebrate our nations values of freedom, equality and justice

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You play dumb so well.
You know exactly what it means, why the need to lie?
However, I'll take the opportunity you give to clarify.
The complimentary blend of two genders in the reunion of marriage is distinct. There is no other relationship in life that comes close.
It is so idiotic to attempt to equate a duplicate half, that it becomes offensive without even considering the callous trampling of culture and faith that it entails.
Childish? That and more is all yours VV.
<quoted text>
1. Your ignorance is showing. I've stated many times that marriage reflects the REUNION of genders into the original genderless life forms, modeling our roots. The picture that the Bible accurately discloses in Eve being formed out of Adam.
I suspect you remember, but don't like the reminder. Ss couples can only reflect that genders would never exist. Always ever a 'dead' end.
Oh, and I'm fully aware that this is your diversion to avoid admitting you lied. Again.
2.'Narrowly defined'? You are the one eliminating one whole gender and simply duplicating.'H2' without the 'O'. It smells like rotten eggs duplicated. H2O on the other hand is life giving. Necessary in fact. Not just doubling what is present, but miraculously MULTIPLYING the effects. The distinction between the two is mind boggling.
I made no claim of 'more married', I said ss marriage is an oxymoron.
3. The whole morality of cultural sensitivity isn't that you agree with it, it is respecting other people. Something a extreme minority demands while desecrating the majority.
I have NO idea how to respond to your comments. Reading your post reminds me of trying to talk to someone who is high.

"Original genderless life forms"? WTH is that?

Your H2O example is so fucking laughable... Is that seriously the best comparison that you can come up with? Human beings (in case you haven't noticed) are not like chemical elements. Two atoms of hydrogen do not make a conscious decision to bind with one atom of oxygen. Besides, in your own "H20" example, a marriage would involve two males (H2) and one female (O). Simply moronic...

Same-sex couples can only reflect same-sex couples. Why is this so hard for you to understand? You act as though homosexuals are out to convert heterosexual into homosexuals. You act as though same-sex couples are trying to eradicate opposite-sex couples. I know that you're doing this because you keep referring to some great "dead-end". There won't be a "dead-end". Heterosexual couples will always be with us. We will always have children being born. Homosexuality will never end this lifecycle. The only thing that homosexual couples are doing is having relationships with one another. We are not a pert of some conspiracy.

Finally, I don't give a big rat's ass about your culture and your values. I am not infringing on them. They in no way impact your life other than to put you in a snit. I don't bring my relationship into your home. I don't inflict my beliefs onto your family. I don't force you do to anything.

YOU on the other hand, wish to impose your beliefs onto my life. You want to say who I can and who I cannot marry. You want to say if I can or if I cannot be gay. You want to involve yourself into my personal space. And I will not allow your "values" to do that.

I have jokingly told you that you need to work on your boundaries, but, Kim, you SERIOUSLY need to look at you are conducting yourself. If you want to hold opinions, that's your right. But when you start inflicting yourself into other people's legal rights and behaviors--then you've crossed a line.

I get the impression that no one in your family is allowed to say "no" to you. You think you know what's best for everyone. And there is hell to pay if they try to stand in your way. That would make you a right C*NT. It may play at your house, but it won't slide with the rest of us.
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
And when the last one goes down, that will be cause to celebrate our nations values of freedom, equality and justice
my hope is that one of these cases along the way in any of the states with current constitutional bans on same sex marriage will have their amendment thrown out as it violates the u.s. federal constitution. that would "cut to the chase" and answer most, if not all, the cases currently going through the systems. one thing's for sure, it would certainly cut down on court costs and court time, aside from the obvious alignment across all the states for all citizens and residents.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
"The rest of us"?
Now ss couples speak for all birth parents?
Oh wait, you are not even a parent.
Talk about narcissism...
Yes.. The rest of us... We will focus on whatever issue is important to us individually.

We don't have to get on your little terror-train of "THE CHILDREN! THE CHILDREN!!" If you want to focus on children, then have at it.

I don't have to be a parent to know about raising kids. You claim you're not gay, but you sure as hell act as though you know everything about what it means to be homosexual.

And you are a narcissist. You have delusions of grandeur. You believe that you have been sent from up above to educate the rest of us--to show us poor, lost morons how we should live our lives.

Funny thing, Kim, I've gotten along just fine without you in my life for nearly 50 years. I know your narcissistic personality will be SHOCKED to learn that over 300,000,000 people don't know you even exist, and yet they get through their day too.

That makes you one of the saddest human beings on the planet. I almost pity you.
Satans twins

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Glendora, California has been taken to court several times since the evil ones took power. They lose too!

Bank of America Corp's Merrill Lynch unit agreed to pay $160 million to settle a racial bias lawsuit.

This same lawsuit went through two appeals at the United States Supreme Court.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
my hope is that one of these cases along the way in any of the states with current constitutional bans on same sex marriage will have their amendment thrown out as it violates the u.s. federal constitution. that would "cut to the chase" and answer most, if not all, the cases currently going through the systems. one thing's for sure, it would certainly cut down on court costs and court time, aside from the obvious alignment across all the states for all citizens and residents.
That would be my hope as well, but I am not holding my breath for that. As pressure mounts, from the federal government, from businesses some of who are already talking about re-locating offices, from a majority of voters that now support same sex marriage, they will fall... slowly.

This week Wal Mart has announced full benefits for same sex couples… Do you have any idea how big that is?

The problem with a mandate from the supreme court is it becomes another Roe v Wade and continues to be a hot button topic in the political arena, the Supremes will avoid that.

I know it is difficult to wait the long road... but there is one advantage to the long road, when it falls state by state, it will never ever return.

Even as long as this road feels, it is lightning fast compared to any previous civil rights issue I can think of.

I know I am giving you my old song and dance... but it is what I truly think

Example: A few years ago in Texas Microsoft was considering putting an office there, and the city was campaigning for it, but there was a local statute that would not allow a company to give company benefits to same sex couples even if the company wanted to, Microsoft let them know that was the reason they decided not to locate there, within days the statute was overturned and the deal was made.

That is starting to happen on a state wide level with respect to federal benefits, and the only way for federal benefits, is for the state to overturn such bans.

Keep and eye out, and remember what I said... this is going to be in the news in the next couple of years... big time.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I have NO idea how to respond to your comments. Reading your post reminds me of trying to talk to someone who is high.
"Original genderless life forms"? WTH is that?
Your H2O example is so fucking laughable... Is that seriously the best comparison that you can come up with? Human beings (in case you haven't noticed) are not like chemical elements. Two atoms of hydrogen do not make a conscious decision to bind with one atom of oxygen. Besides, in your own "H20" example, a marriage would involve two males (H2) and one female (O). Simply moronic...
Same-sex couples can only reflect same-sex couples. Why is this so hard for you to understand? You act as though homosexuals are out to convert heterosexual into homosexuals. You act as though same-sex couples are trying to eradicate opposite-sex couples. I know that you're doing this because you keep referring to some great "dead-end". There won't be a "dead-end". Heterosexual couples will always be with us. We will always have children being born. Homosexuality will never end this lifecycle. The only thing that homosexual couples are doing is having relationships with one another. We are not a pert of some conspiracy.
Finally, I don't give a big rat's ass about your culture and your values. I am not infringing on them. They in no way impact your life other than to put you in a snit. I don't bring my relationship into your home. I don't inflict my beliefs onto your family. I don't force you do to anything.
YOU on the other hand, wish to impose your beliefs onto my life. You want to say who I can and who I cannot marry. You want to say if I can or if I cannot be gay. You want to involve yourself into my personal space. And I will not allow your "values" to do that.
I have jokingly told you that you need to work on your boundaries, but, Kim, you SERIOUSLY need to look at you are conducting yourself. If you want to hold opinions, that's your right. But when you start inflicting yourself into other people's legal rights and behaviors--then you've crossed a line.
I get the impression that no one in your family is allowed to say "no" to you. You think you know what's best for everyone. And there is hell to pay if they try to stand in your way. That would make you a right C*NT. It may play at your house, but it won't slide with the rest of us.
Playing dumb again. You know exactly what I'm talking about. In fact, you've responded to the very same statement before.

We all know you have no way to equate the evolutionary defect of homosexuality to the natural roots of life.

We all know that people are made up of numerous chemicals. You didn't know that?

We all know I was using an analogy. You didn't know that?

We all know that the combination of two distinct elements, no matter what the number of atoms, is an analogy of what happens when different things are combined. You apparently really got confused with that...

We all know that I simply and accurately noted that a ss couple is mutually barren. You got seriously confused about that. No one can figure out how you got where you went. We don't even want to know.

It is clear you don't give a rat's ass about our culture. That was in fact my point.

You are free to have any relationship you want. You are not free to falsely and deceitfully impose a fake relationship on marriage.

As to your slander of our character, I'll let reality bitch slap your arrogance.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.. The rest of us... We will focus on whatever issue is important to us individually.
We don't have to get on your little terror-train of "THE CHILDREN! THE CHILDREN!!" If you want to focus on children, then have at it.
I don't have to be a parent to know about raising kids. You claim you're not gay, but you sure as hell act as though you know everything about what it means to be homosexual.
And you are a narcissist. You have delusions of grandeur. You believe that you have been sent from up above to educate the rest of us--to show us poor, lost morons how we should live our lives.
Funny thing, Kim, I've gotten along just fine without you in my life for nearly 50 years. I know your narcissistic personality will be SHOCKED to learn that over 300,000,000 people don't know you even exist, and yet they get through their day too.
That makes you one of the saddest human beings on the planet. I almost pity you.
Up until this point, you're the only one who believes his opinion is everyone.

Once again, I simply point out reality.
debsuelyn

Placerville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
deb, you may want to check with exodus international. you may want to check with the state of california and new jersey, since they've recently enacted laws making it illegal to perform "conversion therapy" on a minor due it's ineffectivity and the harm it does to the recipients.
I have been reading your posts and they do not make any sense at all, for it is either your way or no way. To the Christian who follows Christ daily, we follow Christ in everything that we do including helping people that are committing sins and especially those precious children that may be hanging on a fence and not know which way to go. I would take my children out of school today if they were still in school and I would continue to teach them God's perfect plan for their lives. If they were born both female and male, then I could see letting them make that decision, but not if you just want to change what we consider normal with all that a man has or woman has to conceive a child. If you say that you are a Christian, I would advise you to Study to show yourself approved unto God, for a workman needeth not to be ashamed rightly dividing the Word of Truth taken from Second Timothy 2:15. The homosexuals of today that say they are Christians are just deceiving themselves thinking that they are just going to get away with what they are doing. The rest of us are taking our Faith very seriously as a matter of life or death. Read James chapter 5 verses 19 & 20 telling the brethern that if someone does err from the Truth, let him know that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. When Apostle Paul preached to the Church, he did not in any way butter anything up to make you feel that you were just OK in whatever sin you were doing, for he preached the Word as God through Christ told him to preach and that was to convict you of yours sins, no matter what they were and live a Spiritual Life from thereafter. In some of your posts, you are making it sound like you have all the answers to help children, well it seems that you are leaving God out of the picture totally because only God has the power to heal completely and your way will not save that person either.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you want restrictions on others if it doesn't effect you?
Sounds like you want to be the one to decide what restrictions should or should not apply...hmmm?
Ah... are you saying that people SHOULD be allowed to hurt others? And yes, if I were the person deciding what the restrictions ought to be, the world would be a better place. Once the dust settled...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps science will come up with the causes for people believing a fantasy story is true then we can have a "fix" for the religious.
It already has: the so-called "God Gene". When the gene is expressed, people have a desire to seek out some form of the Divine. People that do not have the gene active, are not interested in religion. If raised in a church, they might continue to go, but they are never more than just a warm body in a pew.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
However, at this point, I'm more married all by myself than SS couples are.
That's how severe your denial is.
If that fantasy gives you comfort, then hold on to it and cherish it.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Steve wrote:
<quoted text>
AIDS/HIV doesn't discriminate between those possessing a legal document or not.
True, but monogamy DOES prevent sexually transmitted diseases, so that is just one more reason to promote same sex marriages.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

In the end,

Marriage is a miraculous reunion of two genders,
a union so profound,
it is described as the union of Mars and Venus.

It units humanity to the roots of life,
while at the very same time
hosting the best and natural
birth place of future human life.

It is the blend of masculinity and femininity.
The wisdom of logic and intuition united.
Strength and delicacy perfectly balanced.
Protection and nurture combined as one.

A complimentary merging that multiplies the unbiased blend of humanity's genders.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

commonpeeps wrote:
<quoted text>An I wanna drive my truck 100 m.p.h. down the shoulder of the road to pass all the other idiot drivers, an I wanna take my neighbors barking dog out to the desert an drop it in a hole ,an I wanna shoot my .45 in the air on new years, and I wanna bungee jump off the golden gate bridge, an....an...Laws are made to keep the stupid people in line jerk wad because they just aint' got no common sense.
Well, do TRY to think about what I posted...

Driving 100 mph has great potential to harm others, since neither the cars nor the roads are meant to be driven that fast, leading to a loss of control.

Killing someone's beloved pet causes emotional distress.(But I can sympathize when it comes to barking dogs waking one up in the middle of the night.)

What goes up, must come down. If you live in the middle of a wilderness, no harm, in a city, you put others at risk.

Bungee jumping off the Golden Gate bridge creates traffic problems that harm others.

See? With just a little bit of thought, my suggestion covers most situations.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but monogamy DOES prevent sexually transmitted diseases, so that is just one more reason to promote same sex marriages.
LOL.. reminds me of something a comedian once said, "If you want people to stop having all this gay sex, have them stop the same way we stop having heterosexual sex.... let them get married"

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

commonpeeps wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, an adopted child, say under age 6 is able to make that kind of choice, dumbass, just offer them a piece of gum and they'll love ya. Maybe you feel embarrased by your two daddys but I was never 'embarassed' by my folks. Having two daddys or two mommies wouldn't be a burden??? You are one dumb, fat headed clown, there are so many ways having ss parents I couldn't even know where to begin. And a child would rather have no parents and be back living in a 'home' that at the least have some sort of stability, no matter how f'd up it is??Once again you have gone way beyond proving your stupidity and blindness to facts. Keep it up , this only gets better, for me.
The reality is that studies done on children raised with same sex parents show them to be just fine. In some ways, they end up better than the children raised in SOME families with both biological parents...
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
In the end,
Marriage is a miraculous reunion of two genders,
a union so profound,
it is described as the union of Mars and Venus.
It units humanity to the roots of life,
while at the very same time
hosting the best and natural
birth place of future human life.
It is the blend of masculinity and femininity.
The wisdom of logic and intuition united.
Strength and delicacy perfectly balanced.
Protection and nurture combined as one.
A complimentary merging that multiplies the unbiased blend of humanity's genders.
No marriage is a legal contract, what you were describing is your religions view of a marriage, but we marry people not of your religion all the time.

You are free to define your own marriage any way you want.... but you won’t be defining ours... you are not that important.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2013

Judged:

Jerseyboy For Life wrote:
Hurry up "Jesus" come back!,Sodom and Gomorah is being created here in America,against the majority of us.Pretty soon it will be "QUEER" to be straight,or normal like God intended..........But I'm happy,its a sign of the END TIMES.......God's wrath will prevail.......So injoy yourselves you Sodomites......Screw your brains out...
Silly, ignorant child, the sins of Sodom had nothing to do with homosexuality. Try actually READING a Bible instead of worshiping it on your alter...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Los Angeles Forum right now

Search the Los Angeles Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr ICP 2014k 18,619
Trip to Dominican Republic 4 hr Guss 1
Does The Tea Party Know What Immigration Reform... 5 hr POLITUSIC 1
Growing e-cigarette trend raises safety concerns (Jul '13) 7 hr Ronald 113
El Monte woman splits $64 million Mega Millions... (Jul '10) 8 hr Lannie Nunez 37
Iron Order MC - Mongols - Vagos 16 hr JayinSB 3
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Thu seekers 4,900
•••
•••

Los Angeles News Video

•••
•••

Los Angeles Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Los Angeles People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE