Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 200,967

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190315 Apr 27, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I will continue to stomp my feet until I get what I want.
"Like a petulant child, in full blown 'I want' mode"
When Proposition 8 passed in CA, over 10,000 people raced to San Francisco's City Hall so that we could stomp our feet in unison. We continued to stomp our feet and challenged the new policy legally and politically until it came before Judge Walker. He and the three person appellate court ruled that the proposition was--say it with me "UNCONSTITUTIONAL"!
"He was gay, and made a decision that he wasn't empowered to make"
Do you have some kind of keen insight that these people and all of their associates do not have?
"Not keen insight, just a plain acknowledgement of the facts previously stated, that Hizzonor made a choice that was based on personal bias, and political and financial pressure"
My guess is that you're just another schlub with anger issues.
"You're the stomping, petulant ones who are willing to sink the ship, to gain undeserved fruit"
You get on here and try to pick fights. I'm not interested.
"Your label of "picking fights" is a poor, lame and false assertion. He presents facts, and you whine about it."
I state my case and my beliefs.
"Yes, you have made your wants known."
If you don't want to respond to them, I am happy to be ignored by the likes of you.
"While you receive the cookie."
If you want to feel superior, then by all means do so.
"We are. We bring a full tool set to the table, while you do not."
This is a forum where ideas and beliefs are discussed.
If you want to run it like it's your own personal playpen, I've got news for you; it's not going to happen.
"Actually, it's not a playpen, it's a discussion forum, and you dislike the resistance."
Go create your own topic. I'm sure you'll find all sorts of people who would LOVE to get into these procedural arguments with you.
"He doesn't need to leave, merely because you pointed your finger."
Until you don the black dress and bang a gavel in a real courtroom, your opinion is worth about as much as mine.
"His is worth it's weight in gold, as it is based upon the document that you alternately wield and defecate upon, depending upon your whim-of-the-moment."
So, there's all that...
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190316 Apr 27, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me break it down to two words:
Equal rights.
Bogus. Men have the same rights as women. Marriage is for 1 of each. Else, we'd better strike those labels outside of the bathrooms, denoting gender differences.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190317 Apr 27, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>
When did we start discussing your face?
You're so childish.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#190318 Apr 27, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
That opinion, plus fifty cents, gets you Jack Schitt.
And your opinion plus fifty cents gets you Manny Schitt?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#190319 Apr 27, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
So, there's all that...
Too funny! He is a long winded jackass isn't he. I usually doze off about 1/3 through I must confess.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190320 Apr 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
#1 you may think you are a duplicate of every other man, but you are no duplicate of me that is for sure, I actually use my brain
#2 procreation in either intent or ability has never ever been a requirement for a marriage lincence
do you have any other points you need squashed so easily?
You may think that setting him up, complete with the putting of words into his mouth, enables you to squash his arguments, but it does not, as he has not said the words that you would dearly love for him to have said, when you attacked him for saying those words that he did not say....Get it?
Oh, and it's "license", not "lincence", or "incense" or whatever you were trying to say, when you pretended that he said something that he didn't say, even though his punctuation and grammar were way beyond yours...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190321 Apr 27, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't win a rigged game, no. Your failure to admit simple truths leaves us at an impasse.
Which simple truth is that?

That there are over 120,000 legally married same sex couples now in the US

In the millions worldwide?

Or that California legally recognizes same sex couples right now, some 18,000 of them? And other same sex couples are being denied equal rights?

That the desire, intent or ability to have children has never been a requirement for a marriage license?

Which simple truth?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190322 Apr 27, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be an excercise in futility to debate the Constitutionality of something woth someone who self admittedly is ignorant of the subject matter.
What do you base your opinion on?
Feelings of inadequacy, I would imagine..And poor impulse control.
Pebbles

Rushville, IN

#190323 Apr 27, 2013
Uh Oh!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190324 Apr 27, 2013
Rock Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
You may think that setting him up, complete with the putting of words into his mouth, enables you to squash his arguments, but it does not, as he has not said the words that you would dearly love for him to have said, when you attacked him for saying those words that he did not say....Get it?
Oh, and it's "license", not "lincence", or "incense" or whatever you were trying to say, when you pretended that he said something that he didn't say, even though his punctuation and grammar were way beyond yours...
I didnít, they keep bringing up procreation as an argument against same sex marriage and I just keep reminding them that has no place in this argument.

And thank you I agree, when you argue with a child and they canít stand up to what you are saying they go after you personally, or criticize spelling or typos or what have you... I agree, you cannot stand up to the argument
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190325 Apr 27, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, time for breakfast. I think this morning I'll have the VV meltdown special.
Made with cracked eggs, and broken yolks..
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190326 Apr 27, 2013
Headers wrote:
When your crazy and have been brain-washed by a religion for hundreds of years this is what you get, an oppressed female being told by her slave master's to lie, cheat and steal for Allah.
The mother of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects insisted (screamed) that her sons are not responsible for the attack and said she did not see any aggression in the older brother, even when the FBI questioned him two years ago.
Begs the question of why the FBI needed to talk to him 2 years ago?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190327 Apr 27, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
It's no secret that most Americans are dumber than a box of rocks, and they think no one can see through their lies.
Unfortunately, you and your type have been allowed to prosper, this is why most Americans are dumber than a bag of rocks. Somewhere, sometime, someone lied to you and told you that you mattered. They didn't fight the apparent idiocy that you displaying. You should have been beaten about the face and neck, until you straightened up.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190328 Apr 27, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I base my opinion on logic.
Heterosexual couples are legally allowed to marry. They make whatever promises to one another in front of groups of people or only to one another. This is a "ceremony"; an act that in the eyes of the law means nothing.
Homosexual couples can do the same thing. We have "commitment ceremonies" or other public/private exchanges of promises. They also, legally, mean nothing.
Heterosexual couples have the extra benefits and protections of legal marriage. These benefits and protections allow them to do any number of things--take FMLA, receive spousal Medicare or Social Security benefits, obtain base housing in the military, inheritance protection; the list goes on.
Gay couples pay into the same systems that straight couples pay into. They get the benefits, we do not.
Even straight couples who enter into "sham marriages" are able to get these benefits.
Every accepted scientific, medical, and legal collective,(ABA, AMA, APA, NASW, etc.) is in support of same-sex marriage. They all recognize that same-sex partnerships, at their foundation, are equal to opposite-sex partnerships.
There is NO REASON why same-sex couples should be denied the exact same benefits and protections that legally married heterosexual couples have.
Key word here is "take".
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190329 Apr 27, 2013
Officer Baker Supporter wrote:
Gay Marriage is our modern day Civil Rights movement.
No, it isn't. It's a shit stain, on the trousers of rationality.
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190330 Apr 27, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Let's take a refreshing break from Big D's angry ranting and raving!
Here's a little anecdote I wrote on a thread about British English-
Xavier Breath learns English. by Frankie Rizzo
This is a story of an Englishman going to an American service station to get some new windshield wiper blades.
He fills his tank with petrol and asks the dopey looking attendant with a patch on his shirt that says "Xavier B" for some windscreen wipers.
Xavier replies "Golly! What the hell is that for?" The Englishman answers "To wipe the rain off the windscreen." Xavier says "Windscreen? It's a windshield you dumbass Limey,'Mercans invented the car so it's called whatever we say it's called".
The Englishman replied, look jackass, we invented the language! Not only that but we invented windscreen wipers and patented them in 1911 so they are called whatever we say they are called!"
Xavier replied. "Sorry sir! Shall I wash your windshield now?" The Englishman said. "What a dipsh!t."
Xavier filed hate crime charges and won a civil suit for a million dollar settlement and that is why he now sits on his dopey ass and posts nonsense all day and night instead of pumping gas. The Englishman lost his million dollar fortune to Xavier and now he pumps gas at Xavier's old job.
The End.
:D
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190331 Apr 27, 2013
Stimied wrote:
Medical and recreational marijuana may be legal in Colorado, but employers in the state can lawfully fire workers who test positive for the drug, even if it was used off duty, according to a court ruling Thursday.
The Colorado Court of Appeals found there is no employment protection for medical marijuana users in the state since the drug remains barred by the federal government.
I've been waiting for that to occur. I support the recreational use of marijuana, and have had several truck drivers revel in the legalization of it, and have told them that will be the result.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#190332 Apr 27, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I didnít, they keep bringing up procreation as an argument against same sex marriage and I just keep reminding them that has no place in this argument.
And thank you I agree, when you argue with a child and they canít stand up to what you are saying they go after you personally, or criticize spelling or typos or what have you... I agree, you cannot stand up to the argument
You haven't been honest. You have been insisting "they" have stated that procreation is a REQUIREMENT for marriage. No one has said that.

Glad to see I have finally shamed you into toning down that lie.

I agree that even childless families are good for society. But to argue that children have nothing to do with the government's interest in marriage is ridiculous. Did you cut the first day of freshman sociology or cultural anthropology?
Rock Hudson

Wooster, OH

#190333 Apr 27, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they do, mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers, cousins, grandparents.
<quoted text>
That reasoning could be applied to a number of consenting adult relationships.
<quoted text>
Suppose the two men were brothers.....does it change the situation?
<quoted text>
And the brothers?
<quoted text>
Would the brother?
<quoted text>
Legally married opposite sex couple. They could be of "mixed orientation".
<quoted text>
Nor with siblings?
<quoted text>
It's not available to other adults in similar situations either.
<quoted text>
Why stop at couples? If marriage is simply a protection program, it's unfair to limit it to "couples". Plural marriages, adult siblings living together long term, etc., could also benefit from marriage protection.
On the money!
:D

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#190334 Apr 27, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
P.S. I am the only white guy in my family. All my descendents are Asian with a touch more or less of Grandpa Frankie.
"White guy"? Don't forget the Italian half.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 29 min Replacement Bags 5,076
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 37 min Pizza 16,000
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 58 min WARRIOR 19,211
Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) 1 hr nickled 2,269
Neighborhood Grinds closed 2 hr Papa Tango 1
APNewsBreak: 'Easy Rider' bike going to auction 8 hr ljgf 2
Occupy LA Protest (Dec '11) 18 hr The Luscious Ludm... 2
•••

Beach Hazards Statement for Los Angeles County was issued at September 18 at 12:38PM PDT

•••

Los Angeles News Video

•••
Los Angeles Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Los Angeles Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Los Angeles People Search