Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
161,881 - 161,900 of 200,570 Comments Last updated 47 min ago
Morning Joe

La Puente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Not a chance in h i c ups.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Which means it's legal. A sore thumb gets you a card.
I guess since youve run out of arguements against gay marriage??

you are now turning to MMJ?

I liken those two struggles with each other, as acceptance on both issues, has grown exponetionally during my 44 years.

dont be a pot bigot, it isnt anymore flattereing than being bigot, when it comes to gay rights...

patient rights are big struggle too!!

holding on to the sacred instittuion of privacy, is paramount.

weve experienced OUR share of harrasment over what type of medicine we choose to use.

not quite as degrading and personal as when GAY people are attacked//

but is still ignorance on display...

especially with you and MMJ.

because weve gone OVER AND OVER that you dont like to venture out of the reich wing info bubble to study the issue without as much bigoted bias.

back in the good ole days of racism???

weed was used to reinforce stereo types..

and racism was used to villify pot use as well.

youve no doubt seen "reefer madness"

ill say no more.
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
"...the country is changing and you better get with it and understand it. The genie is not getting put back in the bottle. I donít care what this court does with this particular ruling, Proposition 8. I think the inertia is clearly moving in the direction that there is going to be gay marriage at some point nationwide.Ē
Isn't that what we've been saying all along?
veryvermilion

Yes. You express the Christian viewpoint perfectly. According Christian belief, God created, and he saw that it was good. Then, sin crept in and man fell. According to that point of view, as time progresses man has been entrapped in a downward spiral because of the choices that he himself makes. As a result, he becomes ever more degenerate and estranged from his maker. Do you have any solution that might solve this long standing vexatious dilemma?

Ronald

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
The only gay guy who I've heard who has come out against same-gender marriage is a man who I have some respect and pity for.
Doug Mainwaring calls himself a "gay man who is against same-sex marriage".
His story is complicated.
As a young man in college he began to experiment with his attractions toward other guys. But like so many young gay men, he couldn't commit to accept his homosexuality.
Instead he married a woman who he sang in the choir with. They attempted to have children, but learned that they were physically unable. So, they ended up adopting 2 kids.
A few years later, they decided to get a divorce. It apparently had nothing to do with his sexual orientation.
While he was divorced, he dated men and even had a couple of significant relationships. But he longed to be in a relationship with his wife because he didn't like the fact that his kids were growing up between two households.
After some work, he and his wife ended up remarrying. They set up a relationship in which there would be no sexual activity between the two of them. Rather, they would be "friends". They also agreed that neither of them would pursue sexual relationships outside of their marriage. Their sole focus would be on raising their children.
Doug claims that it is impossible for two men to have the kind of deep relationship that is possible between a man and a woman. He says that same-gender relationships are "one dimensional". He says that they're largely based on sex; that two men who are in a sexual relationship tend to forgo the deep friendship that can only come from opposite gender relationships.
So, there you have it... He's the "Gay man who is against same-gender marriage".
But more accurately, he is the non-sexual gay man who decided to remarry his wife for the purposes of giving his children an intact home.
That he has "opinions" that I don't agree with, doesn't faze me in the least. His situation is complicated. And that he wasn't able to find a fulfilling relationship with another man in no way indicates that there are no deeply loving same-gender relationships.
If he wants to live in a sexless relationship with a woman for the purposes of raising his kids, it's a free country.
Though, I'm sure you're going to insist that they consummate their marriage, otherwise it isn't legally binding.
There are others. Even in the protests against SSM in France, there was gay opposition to redefining marriage. So what is your opinion of those gay folks oppose SSM for the same reason some straight folks do? Are they traitors, self loathers, self haters?

Since: Nov 12

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

hemp for telelgraphs wrote:
<quoted text>
I liken those two struggles with each other, as acceptance on both issues, has grown exponetionally during my 44 years.
You brought up pot, look at your name....lol...You are the fool that got a slip disk and waited for pot to cure it for the last 29 years. By doing that, it's most likely messed up for life, nice decision. I'm in favor of pot being legal for everyone, not just medical where the Gov. knows who and what. But with that said, pot can be over used like any drug, like in your case. Good luck.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
that is just the point VV
all they(scotus) have to DO is NOT hear it.....
and prop HATE is a goner.
DOMA's constitutionality is ALREADY on the ropes..
if those court proceedings were any indication..
it will likely be stuck down
the attourney defendng DOMA admitted it was a document based on prejudice and politics.....(what a s&&ty attourney, right?)
I love hearing those law makers speeches, on the senate and house floor, in 1996, argueing against DOMA
being enacted.....
it was heart warming!
now we can see clearly, those lawmakers were on the loving and tolerant side of history(for once)
I'm in my late 40s. If I'm lucky enough to make it to my 70s or 80s, it will be nice to look back on the comments made by those opposing same-gender marriage and watch them squirm as they have to continuously eat their words as they try so hard to prove they're no longer bigots.

Strom Thurmond eventually abandoned his segregationists views, but he was never able to shake his image of being a racist. Well, it was kind of shaken when it became widely known that he had fathered a biracial daughter.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>You brought up pot, look at your name....lol...You are the fool that got a slip disk and waited for pot to cure it for the last 29 years. By doing that, it's most likely messed up for life, nice decision. I'm in favor of pot being legal for everyone, not just medical where the Gov. knows who and what. But with that said, pot can be over used like any drug, like in your case. Good luck.
so let me get this straight...

you are a small government conservative??

YET you want all MMJ patients registered with the government??

but you are against background checks(which is essentially a registry as well) kinda hypocritical huh??

doesnt that rub up against patient privacy?? legally speaking??

or are people who use MMJ not afforded the same rights as "Normal patients".??

it is a pretty simple concept....

and you keep jumping the rails of accountability when it comes to consistency.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
dont be a pot bigot, it isnt anymore flattereing than being bigot, when it comes to gay rights...
"...dont be a pot bigot...? The inmates have clearly taken over the asylum. What's next from the left coast? So any left wing cause that others disagree with automatically garners them the "bigot" label. That same reasoning doesn't apply to the left coasties, because only their causes are secularly sacred and not open to dissent, all other causes that are not appoved by the People's Republic, are not to be tolerated.
patient rights are big struggle too!!
holding on to the sacred instittuion of privacy, is paramount.
weve experienced OUR share of harrasment over what type of medicine we choose to use.
not quite as degrading and personal as when GAY people are attacked//
but is still ignorance on display...
especially with you and MMJ.
because weve gone OVER AND OVER that you dont like to venture out of the reich wing info bubble to study the issue without as much bigoted bias.
And of course all those on the left are full of tolerance, virtue, and free of bigotry.
back in the good ole days of racism???
weed was used to reinforce stereo types..
and racism was used to villify pot use as well.
youve no doubt seen "reefer madness"
ill say no more.
Peace out.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Look, if the right wing was SERIOUS about protecting marriage, they would be working to outlaw divorce.
Reduce the number of divorces, yes, outlaw it no. If it were outlawed, who would legally marry?
They are NOT, because 'protecting marriage' is NOT their goal. Excluding gays is their goal.
The kicker here is gays aren't excluded. The bottom line is how marriage is legally defined. Same sex marriage is a contradiction in terms. How can there be marriage if you exclude one sex? In essence what is being asked is to legally recognize three institutions, so to speak. One, conjugal marriage of husband and wife. One gay marriage of two men, and one lesbian marriage of two women. SSM is an attempt to graft onto the the existing institution two seperate relationships with out any opposite sex language, dynamics, sexual aspect/union, culture, traditions, etc. Seriously XBox, is there a deep seated SSM culture male or female? Why does the nice lesbian couple down the street appear in their wedding photos in a tuxedo and a wedding dress? Is there some subconscious heterosexual yearning there? Do gay men who marry wear wedding dresses?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>That's what I thought, why did you bring up your injury and bash old people? What is wrong with you?
Ageist bigotry. Empty to a bigot who hate senior citizens.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm in my late 40s. If I'm lucky enough to make it to my 70s or 80s, it will be nice to look back on the comments made by those opposing same-gender marriage and watch them squirm as they have to continuously eat their words as they try so hard to prove they're no longer bigots.
Swap out same gendered marriage for plural marriage, still the same. Bigotry against polygamy is still bigotry.

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
so let me get this straight...
you are a small government conservative??
YET you want all MMJ patients registered with the government??
but you are against background checks(which is essentially a registry as well) kinda hypocritical huh??
doesnt that rub up against patient privacy?? legally speaking??
or are people who use MMJ not afforded the same rights as "Normal patients".??
it is a pretty simple concept....
and you keep jumping the rails of accountability when it comes to consistency.
Your problem is that you can't read. It always has been. I don't want MMJ patients registered with the Government, that is why I want it legal like beer. So if you could read, it would save your time from all the unnecessary rants. Sad you are just a few years younger then I am and can't read.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"...dont be a pot bigot...? The inmates have clearly taken over the asylum. What's next from the left coast? So any left wing cause that others disagree with automatically garners them the "bigot" label. That same reasoning doesn't apply to the left coasties, because only their causes are secularly sacred and not open to dissent, all other causes that are not appoved by the People's Republic, are not to be tolerated.
<quoted text>
And of course all those on the left are full of tolerance, virtue, and free of bigotry.
<quoted text>
Peace out.
serioulsy you dont know bigotry until youve experienced it.

like when people dont understand your polygamy..??

so mabey you DO have a taste.

I do understand your situaltion, but am waiting for the rest of america to come along, like you....(at least from a purley legal standpoint) as i dont like to bring my personal values to the "fight".

that is what you folks on the FAR right do..

you, who cant think of any REAL good reason gays shouldnt have ALL the rights you and i enjoy.

the procreation arguement is laughable(from both a moral and legal standpoint)....I notice you havnt come up with a reply to why people OVER 55 shouldnt marry??? because their union can produce children.....how ridiculous can ya get??

the fact is that the state requires NOTHING from ANY marraige.

not even that it succeed.

like i said before, Karmically, you need to get out in front on issues like this, if you want full rights and acceptance in society for your own special EXTRA marritial situation.

cheers

ps; when just veiwing the law, anyone can see DOMA is bigoted..

the lawyer defending it said so himself..

He even said

"strike it down"

( your side hired a great lawyer, huh?)

keep your personal values at home, out of the present discussion.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Ageist bigotry. Empty to a bigot who hate senior citizens.
it is clear that since 83% of young people support marriage eqaulity??

GAY marraige will be fully accepted in a certain amount of time.

approval of gay marraige has gone from 23% in 96', to 58%, today.

WHILE the country got older....

demographically speaking.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Ronald...

So-called Christians have been claiming that mankind has been on a downward spiral for eons.

In college I took two classes, "The History of the South" and "Black History". And before you jump to conclusions, I went to a southern Baptist college in TN. The class was taught by an 80 year old Baptist minister from South Carolina.

Anyhow, he talked about how southern segregationists and slave owners used to go to church, where their pastors would preach about how God supported the separation of races and supported slavery. They would pull out that one verse from Ephesians, "Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters".

Exodus and Deuteronomy was also used to preach against integration. In these books from the Bible, God commanded the Israelites to have nothing to do with any other group of people--commanding them to not marry anyone of a different race or belief system.

Fast forward to the present day, where we DO NOT practice slavery and segregation in this nation. These ideas are repugnant to even the most staunch Christian. Yet, for thousands of years, they were THE LAW of ancient mankind.

So what changed? Did God change His mind? Or did mankind reinterpret God's commandments? Or is this just an example of how you suggest that mankind has been in a downward spiral?

There are so many things that we do today that the ancient Hebrew nation would find sinful and even worthy of death.

Our diets, our cleansing rituals, the place of women in society, our day of worship (the Jews believe the Sabbath begins on Friday evening at sundown and ends on Saturday evening at sundown)--these have all changed from the ancient laws.

So again, I'll ask you; what happened? Did God change His mind? Did mankind reinterpret God's commandments? How did these huge changes come about?

I have several thoughts...

1.) I think we do a disservice to God when we try to encapsulate His majesty into laws found in the Books of the Bible. He is GREATER than any book--greater than all books ever written.
These books and stories describe Him and His relationship with mankind. They attempt to give us some understanding of Him.

2.) If you do look throughout the Books of the Bible, I think you'll see that God has changed His mind several times. You'll see that He created mankind, only to wipe them off the face of the planet in the great flood. Then, perhaps in his biggest change, He sent His son to die for our sins, so that we may be forgiven through grace and not abide by 613 laws found in the Old Testament.

3.) I believe that current Christian faith relies to heavily on the Books of the Bible to understand God and relies VERY little on one's personal relationship with God through the Holy Spirit. What God may want for you may not be what God wants for me. The journey He sets you on, is likely not going to be the same journey He sets me on.

4.) I pray to God for guidance. I refer to the Books of the Bible on occasion. However, the majority of my faith is based in my relationship with God. And that has helped me as I live my life.

I FIRMLY believe that God meant for me to be gay. I have no idea why this is. I certainly didn't ask to be gay. It wasn't my intention. And I fought it tooth and nail throughout my youth and into young adulthood.
You have no idea the number of hours I spent praying for God to change me. I BEGGED him to intervene. But nothing happened. I felt totally abandoned.

Then one day it occurred to me that I was praying to ask God for what "I" wanted. I'd never once prayed for what God wanted. And so I did that. I literally said, "Thy will be done."

God responded to me by His spirit. He left no doubt that He had created me exactly as He meant to. He wanted me to go forward and be happy.

Not sure that I answered your question, but maybe this will give you some insight as to why me and millions of gay Christians around the world believe as we do. I hope it helps.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Swap out same gendered marriage for plural marriage, still the same. Bigotry against polygamy is still bigotry.
so then why are you against gay marrige??

you should be FOR the rights of others, if you everntually want those rights bestowed upon you.

its called karma.

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess that depends on your perspective... Shall I put you down as firmly in favor of plural marriages?

As far as I'm concerned, polygamists will need to fight their own battle. It's not one that I intend to wade into.

The only issue that I'm concerned about right now is same-gender marriage.

If at some point down the line there is a fight in the courts for plural marriage rights, then we'll just have to see how that goes down.

It's just not on my radar.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what's going to floor them is when they learn that the person who spoke so eloquently about same-sex marriage being an inevitability was none other than Rush Limbaugh.
BILL o'rielly and limbaugh, both sort of "ennhanced" their positions..

esp bill......he said he is "just not passionate" about this topic anymore.

in other words...

their side lost, and BIll was smart enough to figure that out...

Elk Grove, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
Ronald...
So-called Christians have been claiming that mankind has been on a downward spiral for eons.
In college I took two classes, "The History of the South" and "Black History". And before you jump to conclusions, I went to a southern Baptist college in TN. The class was taught by an 80 year old Baptist minister from South Carolina.
Anyhow, he talked about how southern segregationists and slave owners used to go to church, where their pastors would preach about how God supported the separation of races and supported slavery. They would pull out that one verse from Ephesians, "Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters".
Exodus and Deuteronomy was also used to preach against integration. In these books from the Bible, God commanded the Israelites to have nothing to do with any other group of people--commanding them to not marry anyone of a different race or belief system.
Fast forward to the present day, where we DO NOT practice slavery and segregation in this nation. These ideas are repugnant to even the most staunch Christian. Yet, for thousands of years, they were THE LAW of ancient mankind.
So what changed? Did God change His mind? Or did mankind reinterpret God's commandments? Or is this just an example of how you suggest that mankind has been in a downward spiral?
There are so many things that we do today that the ancient Hebrew nation would find sinful and even worthy of death.
Our diets, our cleansing rituals, the place of women in society, our day of worship (the Jews believe the Sabbath begins on Friday evening at sundown and ends on Saturday evening at sundown)--these have all changed from the ancient laws.
So again, I'll ask you; what happened? Did God change His mind? Did mankind reinterpret God's commandments? How did these huge changes come about?
I have several thoughts...
1.) I think we do a disservice to God when we try to encapsulate His majesty into laws found in the Books of the Bible. He is GREATER than any book--greater than all books ever written.
These books and stories describe Him and His relationship with mankind. They attempt to give us some understanding of Him.
2.) If you do look throughout the Books of the Bible, I think you'll see that God has changed His mind several times. You'll see that He created mankind, only to wipe them off the face of the planet in the great flood. Then, perhaps in his biggest change, He sent His son to die for our sins, so that we may be forgiven through grace and not abide by 613 laws found in the Old Testament.
3.) I believe that current Christian faith relies to heavily on the Books of the Bible to understand God and relies VERY little on one's personal relationship with God through the Holy Spirit. What God may want for you may not be what God wants for me. The journey He sets you on, is likely not going to be the same journey He sets me on.
4.) I pray to God for guidance. I refer to the Books of the Bible on occasion. However, the majority of my faith is based in my relationship with God. And that has helped me as I live my life.
I FIRMLY believe that God meant for me to be gay. I have no idea why this is. I certainly didn't ask to be gay. It wasn't my intention. And I fought it tooth and nail throughout my youth and into young adulthood.
You have no idea the number of hours I spent praying for God to change me. I BEGGED him to intervene. But nothing happened. I felt totally abandoned.
Then one day it occurred to me that I was praying to ask God for what "I" wanted. I'd never once prayed for what God wanted. And so I did that. I literally said, "Thy will be done."
God responded to me by His spirit. He left no doubt that He had created me exactly as He meant to. He wanted me to go forward and be happy.
Not sure that I answered your question, but maybe this will give you some insight as to why me and millions of gay Christians around the world believe as we do. I hope it helps.
well said.
hemp for telelgraphs

Anderson, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Your problem is that you can't read. It always has been. I don't want MMJ patients registered with the Government, that is why I want it legal like beer. So if you could read, it would save your time from all the unnecessary rants. Sad you are just a few years younger then I am and can't read.
first you do, then you dont....could you please make up your mind..

just yesterday, you told some wing ding here (on this very thread) that would like to make pot more "illegal"

I think you are the one who needs to find a good mooring in this harbor of thought.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 33 min TONY BENNEDETO 18,849
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 4 hr air mail 7,924
Suri Cruise's dog is missing in Los Angeles 4 hr Money 1
Op-ed: It's Time to Take Gay Bars Outside of th... 5 hr louisa mae alcott 24
Police Officers Protect Blacks from the Violent... Wed Culture Auditor 1
Paparazzi are now pursuing stars with drones Wed 4 x 4 Challenge 12
New fashion stars include Mara, Stone and Chastain (Feb '12) Wed samir 2
•••

Los Angeles News Video

•••
Los Angeles Dating

more search filters

less search filters