Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 7,921)

Showing posts 158,401 - 158,420 of200,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.
Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>The Straw Man fallacy is committed when a person simply ignores a person's actual position and substitutes a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of that position.
Yes, like saying that Poly is a direct result of Same Sex Marriage, or the ability to marry your sister. That if you support one, you are supporting the other two.

I know.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Rocky Marciano wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Foxy but if 9 states constitutes "All" then you'd be right but as it is only 9 states remain that have common law marriages! Back to the drawing board I guess! Have a nice day!
Aw shuddup Bill, you senile old jackass!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, like saying that Poly is a direct result of Same Sex Marriage, or the ability to marry your sister. That if you support one, you are supporting the other two.
I know.
No. It's like when I say poly marriage deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage and you retort "you're a liar".

Then I have to argue that I am not a liar (the straw man) and you get off the hook so you don't have to argue against equal rights.(the real argument).

Hope that helped. Let me know if you still don't understand.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie,Frankie, Frankie, Frankie.
You are Obsessed, Obsessed, Obsessed,...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know what a strawman argument is? Obviously not.
Is it like when I say poly marriage deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage and you retort "you're lying"?

Then I have to argue that I am not a liar (the straw man) and you get off the hook so you don't have to argue against equal rights.(the real argument).

Let me know Miss Thing.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong
Not in the US and certainly not lately, so not anywhere and anytime. Same Sex marriage is legal in 10 states and DC, how many is Poly legal in... I will give you a hint..... none
There are today over a hundred thousand legally married gay couples in the US alone, far more than Poly marriages
I am sure I would find the same true in the 17 other countries that legally marry same sex couples.
Welcome to today
However if Poly is so “active” why has there not been more of a push to make it legal?
However if Poly is so “active” why has there not been more of a push to make it legal?
There is. You are ignorant of it and refuse to become educated because you already know it all.

And once again, where in the Constitution does it say equal protection doesn't apply to groups that are small in number?

How big a "push" do you need to grant equal rights?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Dorn wrote:
Allowing homosexual couples to marry and receive the same financial benefits that straight married couples have is the right thing to do.
If that should somehow result in allowing polygamous marriages, women should be allowed to have more than one husband as well as allowing men to marry more than one woman. This would not cause any more children to be born and would eleminate prostitution.
Time marches on: For the good of Planet Earth humans should stop overpopulating and using up the natual resourses which causes other species to go extinct.
Excellent post. I fully agree.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it like when I say poly marriage deserves the same respect and consideration as same sex marriage and you retort "you're lying"?
Let me know Miss Thing.
It's like when you lie and say I hate polygamy...
It's like when you lie about not being anti-gay and then use anti-gay epithets...
It's like when you lie about the topic being marriage equality...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure we do, arguments about marrying your sister for example as an attack on Same Sex Marriage.
Yes. Or when you use it against polygamy. But I like your "marry your goat" one even better.
StinkOrats

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Feb. 26, 2013..

The entire city council, planning commission and planning department should be ashamed of themseleves for their lack of professional training and ethics applied to Avalon Bay housing project. Just like a bunch of stinkOrats.

Glendora, California has wasted millions of dollars on lost and hopeless projects and political influence dreams (scams is more like it).
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
And once again, where in the Constitution does it say equal protection doesn't apply to groups that are small in number?
Can you say strawman?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>...and you think that means something, do ya?
I think it means exactly what he said. Polygamists are coming out of the closet.

What do you think it means, Fruitcake?
Done Deal

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

It's going to pass in California and the rest of the nation.

Done deal!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>
Please indicate how property disbursement will be allocated in a poly marriage where a man has say 4 wives.
wife # 1 , married 15 years,
wife #2, married 10 years,
wife #3 Married, 5 years,
wife # 4 married 1 year,
The husband wishes to divorce wife #1. Will she get the house, and a bulk of his assets? How will that be fair to the 3 remaining wives.
He wants to divorce all 4, how will the property be split, will it be based on duration of each marriage.
The husband dies, at that point all 4 are widows, tell me who will receive his social security, will each of them receive the same?
As you can see same sex marriages will not affect any standing laws.
Where in the Constitution does it say the difficulty of applying equality is a litmus test for granting it? It doesn't dummy.

That it would be complicated is irrelevant. It wouldn't be that complicated anyway.

Try again. It's hard to argue against equality eh Fruitloops?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I don’t care what the Brown family does, I have all the wives I need, and she tells me I am all she needs ( or can tolerate perhaps ) ;)
Many people feel the same way about SSM. You get angry at them.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
It's like when you lie and say I hate polygamy...
It's like when you lie about not being anti-gay and then use anti-gay epithets...
It's like when you lie about the topic being marriage equality...
So he does it again.

Priceless!

P.S. You hate polygamy
I am not anti-gay
The topic is marriage equality not my veracity.

And I ain't lying!

P.P.S. you are a liar.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>Can you say strawman?
He says polygamy doesn't deserve respect because there are not a lot of polygamists.

I say that argument is bogus.

Where's the straw man?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
So he does it again.
Priceless!
P.S. You hate polygamy
I am not anti-gay
The topic is marriage equality not my veracity.
And I ain't lying!
P.P.S. you are a liar.
Wow! A textbook example of cognitive dissonance in action.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
He says polygamy doesn't deserve respect because there are not a lot of polygamists.
I say that argument is bogus.
Where's the straw man?
Look in the mirror

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 158,401 - 158,420 of200,242
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Los Angeles Forum right now

Search the Los Angeles Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 3 hr Truth 18,502
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 7 hr PMS will get yeah 7,821
San Pedro drive-by shooting appears to be gang-... (May '09) 10 hr clean are streets 199
Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and Miley Cyrus: Te... 10 hr Big mike 15
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 12 hr all doned in 4,864
HOMELESS Stranger Danger coin laundry at 20051 ... 13 hr LAPD Alerting Kids 1
BEWARE TAFT High Teens! STRANGER DANGER! coin l... 13 hr LAPD Alerting Kids 6
•••
•••

Los Angeles News Video

•••
•••

Los Angeles Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••