L.A. woman finds, returns $358,000 ca...

L.A. woman finds, returns $358,000 cashier's check

There are 17 comments on the LA Daily News story from Apr 9, 2009, titled L.A. woman finds, returns $358,000 cashier's check. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

As she walked from a post office, Talon Curtis thought she'd found one of those gimmicky sweepstakes offers on the ground that scream something like "$357,959.55" in big bold letters and "This is not a real check" in much smaller type.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#1 Apr 9, 2009
And in LA ... see good people still remain here.
Beth Adams

Van Nuys, CA

#2 Apr 9, 2009
WOW....that woman is truely a saint!!! I can not believe that there really are good, honest people in the world...in LA no less! I WANT TO KNOW WHAT COMPANY SHE WORKS FOR...I NEED HELP WITH MY HOME LOAN.....and somehow I think she's a lady you can trust!!!

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#3 Apr 9, 2009
This is called "integrity". Something our politicians have forgotten.
Sammy the fool

Van Nuys, CA

#4 Apr 9, 2009
yes, I need help with a modification too. Does anyone know where she works?
Freedom Now

Canyon Country, CA

#5 Apr 9, 2009
Two days ago are family was spending time @ Disneyland and California Adventure. My wife lost her wallet. We search all over California adventure to no aval finally we went to the lost and found and her wallet with all the money and credit cards brought to the lost and found. A couple hours later @ Disneyland I found a cellphone. I promptly return it to the lost and found.
Happy to be me

Manhattan Beach, CA

#6 Apr 9, 2009
I think most people would obviously think of everything they could blow all of that money on...
But she is an amazing women for being able to do the right thing and turn it in... Besides it would have been traced back to her had she cashed it.
Now and Zen

Redmond, WA

#7 Apr 9, 2009
Great Story!!! Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity
Just My Opinion

Tujunga, CA

#8 Apr 9, 2009
Here's the missing link to the story. While it was noble of what she did, and I will not dimiss this effort on her part. The fact is the check was not re endorsed to her. Therefore, she would have been liable and possibly prosecute for cashing a check that did not belong to her. It may have taken months or years to have tracked her down because a hold would have been placed on the check for ten day due to the amount. By this time, the person would have reported the check stolen/or lost. Now, if this was a bag of money untraceable now we are talking about a good deed. I am not trying to say that this story does not truly demonstate honesty, I believe it demonstrate her willingness to give back to some one who would had to wait at least six months to be reissued a check. Nevertheless, you never know where the money came from and she may have alerted the authoirty to some type of scam. Yes, we do have good people in society and this is why I always pay as I go and if a cashier gives me too much money/or tell me don't worry about the extra dime, I do. It comes out of their check. Neverthess, good story and Kudos for the extra effort.
Dave 2

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#10 Apr 10, 2009
Bureaucratic Mess wrote:
And in LA ... see good people still remain here.
and they are white.
Dave 2

Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

#11 Apr 10, 2009
Freedom Now wrote:
Two days ago are family was spending time @ Disneyland and California Adventure. My wife lost her wallet. We search all over California adventure to no aval finally we went to the lost and found and her wallet with all the money and credit cards brought to the lost and found. A couple hours later @ Disneyland I found a cellphone. I promptly return it to the lost and found.
I saw that movie too.
Ron

Jerusalem, Israel

#12 Apr 10, 2009
Just My Opinion wrote:
Here's the missing link to the story. While it was noble of what she did, and I will not dimiss this effort on her part. The fact is the check was not re endorsed to her. Therefore, she would have been liable and possibly prosecute for cashing a check that did not belong to her. It may have taken months or years to have tracked her down because a hold would have been placed on the check for ten day due to the amount. By this time, the person would have reported the check stolen/or lost. Now, if this was a bag of money untraceable now we are talking about a good deed. I am not trying to say that this story does not truly demonstate honesty, I believe it demonstrate her willingness to give back to some one who would had to wait at least six months to be reissued a check. Nevertheless, you never know where the money came from and she may have alerted the authoirty to some type of scam. Yes, we do have good people in society and this is why I always pay as I go and if a cashier gives me too much money/or tell me don't worry about the extra dime, I do. It comes out of their check. Neverthess, good story and Kudos for the extra effort.
Just what I was thinking...
george

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Apr 10, 2009
just my opinion : i have had people pass bad money orders and cashier checks and they do not care at all about jail....money order , cashier checks ,company checks and altered company checks these people are low lifes and yes that lady could have passed it but she was honest i salute her
PessmistsAbound

United States

#14 Apr 10, 2009
Just My Opinion wrote:
Here's the missing link to the story. While it was noble of what she did, and I will not dimiss this effort on her part. The fact is the check was not re endorsed to her. Therefore, she would have been liable and possibly prosecute for cashing a check that did not belong to her.
When people put a qualifier on what they're saying, that usually means that they are going to do what they say they don't mean to do.

JUST because she COULD'VE been prosecuted for cashing it, doesn't make her act less noble than if it had been a bag of cash. In either incident she still returned the money! If she was really dishonest, she could've found some way to get cash from that check.

If you read the WHOLE story, she delivered it in PERSON, she could've just sent it by mail and not have gone through that whole hassle.

In addition, she DECLINED a reward, so that blows your idea that this person 'might've' acted differently had it been an untraceable bag of cash!

Think before you speak!
Joy

Norwalk, CA

#15 Apr 10, 2009
Good for you.....I bet the woman that lost it almost had a heart attack when she realized she lost it.....I can't believe that they allow a cashier's check that large.
Ana

Cerritos, CA

#16 Apr 10, 2009
Dave 2 wrote:
<quoted text> and they are white.
You are stupid!! No where in the article does it say she's white and even if it did, good people are good people regardless of their race. Btw, does it really matter what her true motives were in returning the money? The point is she returned it. Stop questioning it and have some faith in people for a change!
ogre mom

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Apr 10, 2009
It's great to read these kinds of stories happening in LA. The woman showed a lot of integrity and honesty. Kudos to her! Hope others learn by her example. Thanks for posting the story.
moms4kids

Long Beach, CA

#18 Apr 11, 2009
Talon
You did a WONDERFUL deed. You will be greatly rewarded one day. I always say, we that do wonderful deeds will be repaid, some how, some day, somewhere. God Bless.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Child gets Burned, Beaten and Sexually Abused i... 7 hr smart Gino 2
Review: Distribuidora Duche West Sat Gracilea Mond 3
The Trump low down Sat poc proud to be poc 1
After Orlando Scams & waste loom as charity mil... Sat Dewey 1
News Jehovah's Witness Tells L.A. Audiences of Defyi... (May '06) Sat judas raphan 90
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Hipocrit 20,505
News Hillary Clinton is exploring the outer limits o... Sat tumbleweed 3

Los Angeles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Angeles Mortgages