Compton is looking to the future

Compton is looking to the future

There are 82 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Aug 28, 2009, titled Compton is looking to the future. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Compton City Hall. The city's new motto is ``Birthing a New Compton.'' The city of Compton is in the middle of it all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jose

Donie, TX

#1 Dec 9, 2009
Compton is changing. In five to seven more years, I predict Compton would be a city a lot of people would want to live. It is near LA, LB, OC or South Bay. So you may work in Torrance and want to live in Compton instead of Corona. You may work in Long Beach and live in East Los Angeles and would want to live in Compton. You may work in Orange County and live in Hawthorne and want to move to Compton. It would be like Lakewood in a decade if it goes like this.
Medieval Pundit

United States

#2 Dec 9, 2009
Anything's possible.

Three weeks ago if you told me Tiger Woods got clobbered by his wife and was juggling a dozen girlfriends, I woulda called you crazy. If Jose tells me Compton is the freeway-close city of the future, who am I to disagree?
good deal

United States

#3 Dec 9, 2009
Medieval Pundit wrote:
Anything's possible.
Three weeks ago if you told me Tiger Woods got clobbered by his wife and was juggling a dozen girlfriends, I woulda called you crazy. If Jose tells me Compton is the freeway-close city of the future, who am I to disagree?
The rush of Latino immigration, both legal and illegal, have displaced blacks from Compton for good. Latino's literally ran them out of major parts of that city, and now it's relatively much less crazy than the Compton of the seventies and eighties most still envision. If some development visionary could sector off some strategic blocks for teardown to get some homes at around 300-600K, that area could be a viable place for anyone to live.
The problem, as always now, is developers being forced to build section 8 housing, which would invite black gangs into the very area they're trying to price them out of. HUD really has undermined, and rotted away the way our cities infrastructures have been created for generations, and for the worse, creating a lot of unnecessary stress for communities.
I wish Compton luck. I'd love to see it back to what it was before blacks moved in there after WWII. It used to be a nice town.
Medieval Pundit

Dallas, TX

#4 Dec 9, 2009
The new townhomes near the Compton Blue Line station seem quite nice.
Section Eight Barracks

Long Beach, CA

#5 Dec 9, 2009
good deal wrote:
<quoted text>
The rush of Latino immigration, both legal and illegal, have displaced blacks from Compton for good. Latino's literally ran them out of major parts of that city, and now it's relatively much less crazy than the Compton of the seventies and eighties most still envision. If some development visionary could sector off some strategic blocks for teardown to get some homes at around 300-600K, that area could be a viable place for anyone to live.
The problem, as always now, is developers being forced to build section 8 housing, which would invite black gangs into the very area they're trying to price them out of. HUD really has undermined, and rotted away the way our cities infrastructures have been created for generations, and for the worse, creating a lot of unnecessary stress for communities.
I wish Compton luck. I'd love to see it back to what it was before blacks moved in there after WWII. It used to be a nice town.
Come on down and visit North Long Beach. That is where all of the blax moved to when they got displaced from Compton, and now North Long Beach is having the same kinds of problems that Compton used to have. The bureaurocrats' solution will be to completely demolish North Long Beach and build mile after mile of Section 8 barracks. North Long Beach will then be officially renamed South Compton. Ain't life great?
the real deal

North Hollywood, CA

#6 Dec 10, 2009
Section Eight Barracks wrote:
<quoted text>Come on down and visit North Long Beach. That is where all of the blax moved to when they got displaced from Compton, and now North Long Beach is having the same kinds of problems that Compton used to have. The bureaurocrats' solution will be to completely demolish North Long Beach and build mile after mile of Section 8 barracks. North Long Beach will then be officially renamed South Compton. Ain't life great?
Just like unqualified welfare, HUD housing has worked to the detriment of blacks. Many preferred Project living, where everyone knew each other, and the police preferred it for the same reason. It centralizes blacks in an area that can be managed. Placing them piecemeal in middle-class neighborhoods provokes white flight, fights between blacks and hispanics, and a dissolution of communities where neighbors are squared off against one another.
What does a middle-class home owner with a wife and kid, struggling to pay his mortgage, have in common with a welfare mother with no husband and three kids living right next door in a HUD apartment they could never afford to live in? The idea, apparently, is that "neighbors" will tend to influence each other for the better. That the forced socialization of poor blacks with workaday whites will benefit the poor blacks who would be otherwise clueless on how to comport themselves in civilized white society.
It doesn't work that way. Blacks tend to tribe up, their fractured family structure brings in other black "friends" from poorer neighborhoods who "need a place to stay," and bring their ghetto sensibilities with them, while continuing to influence their hosts. The white guy next door doesn't want any part of their ghetto ways, and tries to ignore them until he can't. Then he moves. Some Cambodian buys the property and immediately rents to Section 8 blacks, so now you have ANOTHER ghetto nest, further downgrading their street, and neighborhood, until it's a chaotic morass of people who don't want to know each other, and wouldn't have anything in common if they tried.
Forced "affordable" housing, and HUD is wrecking the country, not helping blacks, and making sane approaches of growing successful infrastructure like Pine Avenue impossible.

HUD doesn't work!
Prophet

Panorama City, CA

#8 Dec 10, 2009
Although we want to say Carson is an extremely diversified City, we seemed to avoid the fact that Carson had an extremely huge White Flight in the 70's and 80's when it was predominately White just like Compton had been in the 50's and 60's when Compton was predominately White. Then Compton turned Black; and now it is changing Hispanic, then oddly enough the Black flight syndrome occurred with the Black middle class having moved to Riverside and San Bernardino; and lower socio economic Blacks moving to apartments or section 8 (HUD) housing in north Long Beach.

It however seems to be a well hidden secret in Carson about the White flight but we all know that the Whites moved out fast! Btw, wait until Hispanics start voting in large numbers in Compton and start wielding their true political strength. Then their may be some stark differences on how Compton is truly governed.

Now that will be very interesting, indeed! Boyle Heights, East L.A., Wilmington? Who knows! I thought I would throw that in because of some of te comments made on this blog. Unless you have a cryslal ball, don't judge! Just report!
Prophet

Panorama City, CA

#9 Dec 10, 2009
Typos "the comments" and "Crystal ball" for the spelling freaks.
Billboards

Anaheim, CA

#10 Dec 12, 2009
The only change I saw was when i was driving down the 91 freeway last Sunday and saw them erecting dozens of gigantic new ugly billboards in Compton....just what we need - more visual pollution. But I figured the corrupt politicians in Compton must have got a sweet deal from advertisers with kickbacks to have these monsters erected. Any way to make a buck I guess.
Bingo

Long Beach, CA

#11 Dec 15, 2009
Billboards wrote:
The only change I saw was when I was driving down the 91 freeway last Sunday and saw them erecting dozens of gigantic new ugly billboards in Compton....just what we need; more visual pollution. But I figured the corrupt politicians in Compton must have got a sweet deal from advertisers with kickbacks to have these monsters erected. Any way to make a buck I guess.
You figured it out. I too watched the structures of those eyesores being built while I would drive along the 91, and they put them up FAST. Now most of them are already displaying more brainwashing that we don't need. Yep, it's all about greed and corruption. Compton's leaders really made out on this one. The rest of us, unfortunately, did not.
just me

Compton, CA

#12 Dec 29, 2009
good deal wrote:
<quoted text>
how is it that you say that since compton is primarily latino that it's suddenly a better place, then in the past when the muder rate is still very high and robbery and narcotic crime is rising. You blamed the crime on blacks and now their gone quote unquote. So who do you blame now.
just me

Compton, CA

#13 Dec 29, 2009
Bingo wrote:
<quoted text> You figured it out. I too watched the structures of those eyesores being built while I would drive along the 91, and they put them up FAST. Now most of them are already displaying more brainwashing that we don't need. Yep, it's all about greed and corruption. Compton's leaders really made out on this one. The rest of us, unfortunately, did not.
First idiot build boards weren't built they were already there. Yes there were sign displayed on them regarding the city and why shouldn't it be, other cities display signs about good things in their neighborhood. But since it's compton they shouldn't. Next which corrupt city politician told you personally they got a kickback or are you talking out of your ass I bet the latter.
really dont know

Compton, CA

#14 Dec 29, 2009
good deal wrote:
<quoted text>
This morning a latino male shot a 6o year old black woman. "Much less crazy"
Carlos

Inglewood, CA

#15 Dec 29, 2009
good deal wrote:
<quoted text>
We Mexicans improve every area that we move into!:)
sociologist

Newport Beach, CA

#16 Dec 29, 2009
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text> We Mexicans improve every area that we move into!:)
I'm white, don't like illegals, but here's what I've noticed are the big (general) cultural differences between Whites, Blacks, and Mexicans:

When things are going well for whites, they fight amongst themselves. When things get bad, they pull together.

When things are going well for blacks, they pull together. When things are going bad, they fight amongst themselves.

When things are going well for Mexicans, they pull together. When things are going bad, they pull together.
agree

Newport Beach, CA

#17 Dec 29, 2009
Carlos wrote:
<quoted text> We Mexicans improve every area that we move into!:)
Yep. You guys are the best replacement for blacks any sane white guy could have dreamed of.
Carlos

Pasadena, CA

#18 Dec 30, 2009
sociologist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm white, don't like illegals, but here's what I've noticed are the big (general) cultural differences between Whites, Blacks, and Mexicans:
When things are going well for whites, they fight amongst themselves. When things get bad, they pull together.
When things are going well for blacks, they pull together. When things are going bad, they fight amongst themselves.
When things are going well for Mexicans, they pull together. When things are going bad, they pull together.
Exactly. This is why we will eventually take over California, the USA and the planet! We have the strongest family values of all peoples, and we have way more babies than anyone else!:)
Carlos

Pasadena, CA

#20 Dec 30, 2009
LBC Lifer wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet AGAIN, once you achieve this 'dream' of yours, WHO is going to pay for your welfare and social benefits? Who?????
I've been to downtown Long Beach, Compton, East L.A., and Huntington Park...I'm afraid for my life, each and every single time I'm in those areas (thank god it not often now). What do those areas have in common....A majority population of Mexicans...Sorry, but if you consider trash, diaper clad babies being looked after by the family dog, broken down cars that are ten or more years old, dumpy unmaintained houses (which oddly enough need lawn care) gangbangers drinking beer and smoking classy, well I guess you do improve every area you invade.
That's funny, how come we have no problems in those areas? Listen, once Obama makes us all legal, we will have much higher paying jobs, and we will all be driving new vehicles!

Since: Jun 09

Panorama City, CA

#23 Dec 30, 2009
sociologist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, unfortunately, hispanics won't be taking over America any time soon, for the same reason all hispanic countries are failures. "Failure" defined as countries requiring "public assistance" from other countries, or the world bank just to keep from collapsing every single year, as well as recognized leadership in the arts and sciences.
Sadly, hispanics have very few Nobel Prize winners. Very few leading world artists, and none who are world reknowned. That's a pretty bad track record compared to the United States. All of the hispanic states put together couldn't even make more than a laughable competitor to England.
Militarily, if England wanted to take over Mexico, they could do it. Don't even think about Germany or Japan. Two relatively tiny nations that could clean the clock of everything south of Texas COMBINED in every avenue of human endeavor.
Face it, you guys can't compete on the world stage. You have decent family values, in that a Hispanic male will more often provide not only for his wife and children, but most of his mistresses too. You deserve accolades for that, but nation building? Noooo. Maintaining a world class nation. Don't even bother thinking about it. You need white and asians to do the heavy mental lifting, or you're back in tin-roofed shacks, doing what you're told by some rich hispanic sociopath. It's always been that way there, and it won't work up here. You have no idea of what you're talking about. Learn American history.
Latino's are not cultural peers of whites, or asians. You have to earn that.
You have much work to do. At least you're above the blacks, so count your blessings--and get to work. Start by calling illegals what they are: treasonous cowards and opportunists with no interest in their country, OR ours.
Sociologist or Sociopath? Peddle your poisonous pedagogy elsewhere because if you check your own DNA, you will note it contains multiple races, including Hispanic, Black, European, Asian, etc..

You will be shocked just like the scientist who checked his DNA on Oprah and discovered his DNA proved he was part Black African but he looked 100 percent White!

Although, I believe you are only retaliating in response to some of the extremely ignorant comments written on this blog, I thought to respond to your comments any way as a point of reference to the other ignorant writers as well.
sociologist

Los Angeles, CA

#24 Dec 30, 2009
Ultimate Truth Seeker wrote:
<quoted text> Sociologist or Sociopath? Peddle your poisonous pedagogy elsewhere because if you check your own DNA, you will note it contains multiple races, including Hispanic, Black, European, Asian, etc..
You will be shocked just like the scientist who checked his DNA on Oprah and discovered his DNA proved he was part Black African but he looked 100 percent White!
Although, I believe you are only retaliating in response to some of the extremely ignorant comments written on this blog, I thought to respond to your comments any way as a point of reference to the other ignorant writers as well.
I don't understand how "responding" with irrelevant anecdotes regarding your Oprah experiences are going to help anyone. The fact that you would think you were adding anything of interest to the discussion makes you laughably pathetic. Go back to city college, and take a science class, or, just stay as you are, and ignore people laughing at you behind your back.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Samuel-7g-Jackson 20,483
Iowa LGBT Rural Summit 3 hr Harry 1
Michael Jackson Patented Anti-Gravity Shoes In ... 7 hr Jane 1
News Hillary Clinton is exploring the outer limits o... Wed He Named Me Black... 1
‘Hillary Hospital’ Signs Welcome Hillary Clinto... Wed Paris 2
19 f for daddies Aug 20 Gjomgmf 4
Chris Powell Editor of the JI investigated for ... Aug 20 Herc213 1

Los Angeles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Angeles Mortgages