Hawthorne police detective, Iraq vet ...

Hawthorne police detective, Iraq vet dies at 34

There are 67 comments on the Daily Breeze story from May 6, 2008, titled Hawthorne police detective, Iraq vet dies at 34. In it, Daily Breeze reports that:

Jeffrey Rand, a Hawthorne police detective who helped rebuild an Iraqi police force while serving in the Marine Reserves, has died in his sleep on his 34th birthday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Breeze.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
lynn

United States

#1 May 7, 2008
god bless the family,but what happened,a healthy young man dies in his sleep. would like to know what caused it.sounds like he was a great person.
Heart breaking

Calabasas, CA

#2 May 7, 2008
What a sad, sad story. His service to our country will never be forgotten. God bless you as you are now in a better place.
wombat

Goleta, CA

#4 May 7, 2008
Why do the great ones die young? This guy was a hero on so many levels. Rest in peace, Marine. Semper Fi.
ao by the sea

Los Angeles, CA

#5 May 7, 2008
This news is pulling at every one's heartstrings, My condolence's to Officer Jeffrey Rand Wife, Mother , Sister and all who knew and loved him. Something GOOD has been taken .
Jayne

Los Angeles, CA

#6 May 7, 2008
How sad.
Derrick Cabrera

Anaheim, CA

#7 May 7, 2008
My friend our brother Jeff P. Rand!!! Jeff was a faithful loyal son, brother and husband. Jeff re-defined the definition of "BROTHERHOOD!!" Jeff always had your back right, wrong or indifferent he was there for you. Jeff, I am thankful that you are my friend and it was a pleasure rubbing shoulders with you! Until we meet again Jeff you are in my heart and memories!!!!! I LOVE YOU BROTHER!!!!!

D.CABRERA # 310
H.P.D
BREE

Los Angeles, CA

#8 May 7, 2008
Coming from a family of Police Officers myself, this kind of news just breaks my heart. Officer Rand sounds like a great person and a wonderful Police Officer. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends and to the Police Dept. that lost a great human being and to the community who lost a dedicated Police Officer.
Though we will never understand why we lose the best too soon, God must have needed another Angel to watch over us.
Chris Hayes

Columbus, OH

#9 May 7, 2008
I had the privilege of being Jeff's squad leader for about one year during his service at HMX-1. Simply put - he was a great Marine and apparently a whole lot more. I am very saddened to hear of his passing. My condolences to his family and friends.

Semper Fidelis!

Chris Hayes, Columbus, OH nospam (at) hayesdf.com
Just me

Carson, CA

#10 May 7, 2008
Sad story but something is wrong here. So can we hear from the 'buddies' that he was out with? Did he have too much to drink? Maybe alcohol poisoning or drugged?
BREE

Los Angeles, CA

#11 May 7, 2008
Just me wrote:
Sad story but something is wrong here. So can we hear from the 'buddies' that he was out with? Did he have too much to drink? Maybe alcohol poisoning or drugged?
Does it really matter??? Other then to be a wake up call to the rest of us.....that life is short!!! Im sure he and his buddies made some crazy memories for his b-day that night.....RIP
JIM DAVIS

AOL

#12 May 7, 2008
Old Marine here and have never understood why the Good die young, but they do. I didn't know Jeff Rand but I do know his kind and to say it is a shame is a vast understatement. We need more Jeff Rands not less.
Semper Fi and Rest in Peace you deserve it.
ao by the sea

Los Angeles, CA

#13 May 7, 2008
Just me wrote:
I really do not know about your life experiences But people pass for many reasons. I once was in a conversation with someone, the next second GONE !(stroke) Please show some RESPECT , Many are in MOURNING (get it) I'm not a Police officer but a human being.
Ti Goetz

Anaheim, CA

#14 May 7, 2008
Day is done,
Gone the sun,
From the hills,
From the lake,
From the sky,
All is well,
Safely rest,
God is nigh.

Semper Fi
Yency Mena

Anaheim, CA

#15 May 7, 2008
Having had the pleasure of being your patrol partner,,,numerous times, working beside you Jeff, I can only remember... you sharing with me the love for your former LAPD officers, your Marines brothers, and your family. Your passion for our country and your patriotism astounded me.. you are my hero. At work, Hawthorne Police Dept, you stood strong, proud and you became a mentor to future police officers. You will be missed... Semper Fidelis! Mena 210
A Friend

Foothill Ranch, CA

#16 May 7, 2008
Jeff, you will be missed. You were a good friend, a great officer and an exceptional marine.
Life is Short

Overland Park, KS

#17 May 7, 2008
To answer your question he was actually at home enjoying his B-Day with friends.
Just me wrote:
Todd

Waianae, HI

#18 May 7, 2008
Just me wrote:
Shut up and have some class.
Chris

Los Angeles, CA

#19 May 7, 2008
Jeff, I am glad that I had the pleasure to know you! You were an outstanding guy who always had a smile on your face. Rest in Peace my friend...

Cognac #254
Chris

Westport, CT

#20 May 7, 2008
Jeff, you were held in the highest regard by those who knew you. Thank you for being a friend, and for your service to our great country. You will be greatly missed. The time has come too early for you to guard the streets of Heaven with your fellow Marines. God Bless.
SanPedroII

Houston, TX

#21 May 7, 2008
My condolences to his mother and wife. Thank you for your faithful service to our country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 49 min mexico 21,004
Medical Errors May Be Third Leading Cause of De... 2 hr WATCHDOG 1
Review: McDonald's Mon ThomasA 2
News Thousands march in L.A. for impeachment of Trum... Mon ThomasA 9
Review: Belal Hamideh Law (Nov '16) Mon Donna Cook 4
News A girl waves a Mexican flag during rallies in L... (Mar '06) Jul 23 Lynn 4,551
Trump should deport African Americans instead o... Jul 22 Cotton Farmer 38

Los Angeles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Angeles Mortgages