Fatal crash in Sylmar involving LAPD ...

Fatal crash in Sylmar involving LAPD car under investigation

There are 98 comments on the LA Daily News story from Apr 22, 2010, titled Fatal crash in Sylmar involving LAPD car under investigation. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

A fatal wreck in Sylmar involving a Los Angeles police car was under investigation today.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Richard

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Apr 22, 2010
Those "2 other people" who had minor injuries are the cops who rammed the victim's car into smitherines. The police car had front end damage, never mentioning anything about the victim's car that was totally pancaked. This poor lady was backing out of her house when rammed by the police car. If the cops were not responding to a call, why are they speeding on this residential area?
Valley

Glendora, CA

#2 Apr 22, 2010
This is why we need to get police car cameras on there, faster. If the cops were at fault, they will lie and cover up the whole thing and will not be held responsible if they were in fact driving reckless. I've seen cops "not responding to a call" before just blast through red lights by turning their sirens on at the last second....
old guy

Van Nuys, CA

#3 Apr 22, 2010
Maybe these lazy cops should learn to drive...watch how many never use turn signals and fast take offs at lights and usee their lights just to get through a traffic light to the donut shop.....can you say LAW SUIT....
syclona

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#4 Apr 22, 2010
yup i bet they were speeding. you see it all the time. speeding, turning lights on just to go through red lights. maybe the driver of the cop car was on a cell phone. i see cops on their cell all the time which is against the law. but i guess cops don't have to follow the law....these cops need to be held accountable for killing this poor lady. her family should sue the crap out of these cops and they should lose their badges.
Sherlock Holmes

Northridge, CA

#5 Apr 22, 2010
This is a really tragic story. However, according to other reports, the decedent was backing out of a driveway when she was hit by the police car. THAT ALONE places her at fault, UNLESS it can be shown that the police car was speeding.

After looking at the damage to both cars, I would guess that the police car WAS NOT speeding. Just imagine what would happen to your car if you got T-boned by a 4000 lb car travelling 35 - 40 mph.

Accident reconstructive investigators can easily determine the speed of the police car based on physical evidence. We'll wait and see what they say.
Common Sense

Camarillo, CA

#6 Apr 22, 2010
Another example of police exceeding the speed limit and driving recklessly for no reason!
jimjam

San Jose, CA

#7 Apr 22, 2010
quit your crying. it was most likely an unlicensed illegal that shot out of her driveway without looking.
Hey Homie

Redmond, WA

#8 Apr 22, 2010
jimjam wrote:
quit your crying. it was most likely an unlicensed illegal that shot out of her driveway without looking.
Are you naturally stupid, or did you hit the doobie really early this morning?
Jay

San Marcos, CA

#9 Apr 22, 2010
I have worked with these two police officers and they are dedicated and proficient in their duties as police officers. Such a shame to talk smack about cops when we are the ones that are patrolling your streets, responding to calls, and dealing with the most evil out there while you are tucked away in your bed.
wow 2010

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Apr 22, 2010
I would wager it was the LAPD fault. If not I would be shocked. These days when responding to a situation, the LAPD just speed there way down the street without sirens or flashing lights to alert drivers/pedestrians. I experienced this first hand, the police officer was speeding while I was traveling in the opposite direction in the far left lane. The idiots didn't have sirens or lights going but stopped right next to me and pointed at me to get over to my right. Mind you it was tons of cars to the right of me not stopped at all. The idiots should have reversed into another lane and make a u-turn in the free and proceed because no cars were behind them at all.***Smh*** LAPD needs to take emergency response driving courses more often
wow 2010

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Apr 22, 2010
Jay wrote:
I have worked with these two police officers and they are dedicated and proficient in their duties as police officers. Such a shame to talk smack about cops when we are the ones that are patrolling your streets, responding to calls, and dealing with the most evil out there while you are tucked away in your bed.
Not all cops are A-listers and follow the Law to a T.We do appreciate the ones that are and risk their lives for us everday, But please realize that there are some out there that need to step it up or step down!
Valley

La Crescenta, CA

#12 Apr 22, 2010
jimjam wrote:
quit your crying. it was most likely an unlicensed illegal that shot out of her driveway without looking.
The car that got hit should have had Lou Dobbs, Bill O'Reilly, Glen Beck and Nancy Grace in it. Now that would have been nice!!

You wouldn't have anything else to watch "jimjam"!
Jessie Jackson

Whittier, CA

#13 Apr 22, 2010
Some police officers act like children. play chase with other cops on duty use lights or siren to get to someplace faster when there is no emergancy. they think because they have a badge they are above rules and laws there no better then the people they're supposed to catch.
someone

Woodland Hills, CA

#14 Apr 22, 2010
we're fighting evil, therefore when we recklessly break the law resulting in the deaths of those who pay us to protect them, shut your mouths and let us get away with it, because, we're fighting evil after all.
Valley

La Crescenta, CA

#16 Apr 22, 2010
Sherlock Holmes wrote:
This is a really tragic story. However, according to other reports, the decedent was backing out of a driveway when she was hit by the police car. THAT ALONE places her at fault, UNLESS it can be shown that the police car was speeding.
After looking at the damage to both cars, I would guess that the police car WAS NOT speeding. Just imagine what would happen to your car if you got T-boned by a 4000 lb car travelling 35 - 40 mph.
Accident reconstructive investigators can easily determine the speed of the police car based on physical evidence. We'll wait and see what they say.
One more thing. How does it place HER at fault if she is backing out of the driveway? What are you suppose to do, levitate your car and turn it around in mid-air, to come out head first??
Valley

La Crescenta, CA

#17 Apr 22, 2010
someone wrote:
we're fighting evil, therefore when we recklessly break the law resulting in the deaths of those who pay us to protect them, shut your mouths and let us get away with it, because, we're fighting evil after all.
Love the sarcasm =)
Mary

United States

#18 Apr 22, 2010
old guy wrote:
Maybe these lazy cops should learn to drive...watch how many never use turn signals and fast take offs at lights and usee their lights just to get through a traffic light to the donut shop.....can you say LAW SUIT....
Oldguy, how do you know how is at fault, always blaming the cops!!!! Of course you say LAWSUIT only way to settle in Your Pea Brain...just sayin
flying vee

Gardena, CA

#19 Apr 22, 2010
Valley wrote:
<quoted text>
One more thing. How does it place HER at fault if she is backing out of the driveway? What are you suppose to do, levitate your car and turn it around in mid-air, to come out head first??
Because she was in reverse! Do you even have a drivers license? If so, how did you pass the test? Let the poor lady rest in peace and we'll see what the investigation uncovers...
IseeU

Compton, CA

#20 Apr 22, 2010
Cover Up! LAPD Officers Not following Procedures. Ethics? Driving Under the Influence? Wreckless Driving?
Bobby P

Santa Monica, CA

#21 Apr 22, 2010
Sherlock Holmes wrote:
This is a really tragic story. However, according to other reports, the decedent was backing out of a driveway when she was hit by the police car. THAT ALONE places her at fault, UNLESS it can be shown that the police car was speeding.
After looking at the damage to both cars, I would guess that the police car WAS NOT speeding. Just imagine what would happen to your car if you got T-boned by a 4000 lb car travelling 35 - 40 mph.
Accident reconstructive investigators can easily determine the speed of the police car based on physical evidence. We'll wait and see what they say.
Haha. What a joke all these comments are with the exception of this one. Everyone jumps to conclusions, crossing their fingers that the cops are to blame so that they can scream about a cover up or corruption. Look at the evidence... the woman was backing out of her driveway which means it was her responsibility to make sure there was no traffic. If the police car was speeding, there would have been far more damage to both cars. Glenoaks has a 40 mph limit, and these cars are made to crumple up in a crash. It's unfortunate the lady passed away, but based purely on the info in the article, it would appear the cops did nothing wrong. All the anecdotes about all the cops that people see racing around are totally irrelevant to this investigation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Fitius T Bluster 20,947
Toilet charity gets Indian village to take on T... 23 hr Jan 1
Who are these that protest the protesters? 23 hr actorvet 1
ByteFence- steer clear of these a-holes Sun Rodrigo 1
Johnny Depp Sun good grief 4
6-21-17 Murders hit record high in Mexico Sun Rip Chen Picket 8
Women should stop wearing bras Sun actorvet 4

Los Angeles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Angeles Mortgages