Man shot and killed in Long Beach

Man shot and killed in Long Beach

There are 45 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Oct 27, 2009, titled Man shot and killed in Long Beach. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Police today sought whoever was responsible for the shooting death of a man in Long Beach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

Former LB Native

Boise, ID

#25 Oct 28, 2009
Medieval Pundit wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeh, I was shocked when I went into that 7-Eleven one night around midnight and the beer cooler was locked up. I never got over that.
Don't know nothing about no male hookers, tho.
I was very active in the community. It does not make a difrence that I am straight. I used to leave in the 3-story buliding on the West end of the 7-11 Parking lot. WE where active both Gay, Straight whatever. I had a : Ear : in the LBPD as some of you might remeber there was a cigier shop at the end of the street that if you asked for a certain CD / or other item you could by any drug you want. At one time we almost had the neigerbood cleaned up, constant patrols, many drug busts , a gut in car breakins .

What happened ? I was CI for a officer that got very tired of not the neighborhood but the mangnment of the LBPD .

He was looking looking for a gang menber who went by name Spider ... and I found him. This deticive worked at the Long Beach Mall and was so tired of trying to get the gang unit to pick him up that he did.

It was just not me but entire community envolment thst cleaned up this area .

If I am right [and it has been a while ] I think the Alamtos Hights Group The Voice of the group died ] We or I worked with the Achol Atuhority in Paramount and they closed them down [ The achool sales for a few weeks and fined 7-11 ] What I am trying to say if you want your neighborhood back you must fight for it. The detective retired [ He was parttime at the time ] but He worked with us. I was in the area a few weeks ago and cannot belive that people donot care about their neighborhood . We proved that the pay phones where a a public nusance and had all off them removed from Los Altamtos to Redondo . I see there back at the Chevron station and other places along Brodway. The 7-11 is one off the top selling stores in the State and we did try to shut it down.

If anyone wants to see a diaster go by the was a cleaned up area and when the citzen loses intrest this is what happens. I had friends from out of State and they thought they where in a upside world . I told them they where. First Street was a 100% improvment until 1139 Ist Street become a apatment house of sex offenders.
1st , 2nd, used tp look like e 3rd Street . I will not even mention the MC Donaalds at 4th and Alamtos as you can get killed there. We fought and fought the City and as you can see the City
lets see how I can say this without being censeored ] They told us we where nimber one [ think of your hand ]

I loved Alamtos Beach and left in 2008 by force when my company went out of bussiness. The City could make 300 more parking places very easly by opening Alamtos Beach Parking Lot sell permits for the night time security that would be needed from Sun Down to Sun up .

Thee City would rather [and I donot remeber the excat price ] for diagonal parking and one way streets . I do know it was in the 100s off thounds which helped for 5 minutes. They need to open the beach at night for parking but will not. I could go on for page after page but I must stop. During the Grand Prix you should see the look on peoples faces when walking down Orange and on the 4th of July. Enough said . I have deylexcia and do proof read but some errors will get through .
carlos

Huntington Beach, CA

#26 Oct 28, 2009
This is just a guess, a couple days ago an 18 yr old was killed on Henderson/18th st. now there is an other just down the street sounds like retaliation. The never ending revolving door.

Since: May 08

Long Beach, California

#27 Oct 28, 2009
Renabro wrote:
I have lived in this city all of my 30 years and can't believe what people say about Long Beach. I still feel safe walking on streets. We all know what places not to go at night, but most of the city is fairly safe, unless you are a wanna be or gang affiliated. I lived on the north, central and downtown. I don't know what you are all talking about; it's still safe.
I've lived in LB for about 8 years, but been hanging around here for over 20. I've always treated LB like the rest of Los Angeles. It's beautiful, and in some places peaceful, but I ALWAYS watch my back. You can live in beverly hill, but you still have to be careful of your surroundings.

Growing in San Diego, LB has always had a bad rep, especially when the military was stationed there. The Pike was infamous and I remember staying there over the weekend in high School back in the late 70s, how dilipated it was.

Today, it's actually better in alot of ways as far as "cosmetic". I live in the Belmont Heights area, and though I know my neighbors are nice, I still watch myself when I open the door to my house. Because ANY neighborhood in LA, in my opinion, can be dangerous.

Lastly, it is distraugting to read about murders every month, sometimes every week, in Long Beach. But I don't panick because it's obvious that the majority of it could have been prevented. When people leave bars drunk at 2 in the morning, their asking for problems. When parents let their teenagers hang out at midnight on some street corner, their at risk of getting shot, just because of how some initiation of gangs are.

So it's my opinion, that unless you were here in the 1960's, LB has always had the reputation of beening a dangerous and shady town.
ArtsNCraps

Whittier, CA

#28 Oct 28, 2009
this is the most diverst city in america with hispanic,afro americans,pacific islanders,southeast asians,and whites who call long beach home. we all have to understand that the media hypes it up by bringing up the race issue long beach and through out southern california. media in the l.a. basin dont care about writing the good things that go on in our streets. violence on the street brings great ratings to NBC, CBS,ABC,FOX,KTLA,Kmex etc. and bring entertainment to us veiwers.but it bring us great fear too.
LBC Born and Raised

Valencia, CA

#29 Oct 28, 2009
I have been in The Beach my full 24 years (lucky me). I live right on the corner of 19th and Cedar. Anything in the area close to PCH is grimey. We all know this. The underlying problem in this area is drugs. Crack to be exact. This article is so vague there's no telling what happened. Some of these shootings are gang related some are drug related. Naturally when we read a shooting with no description or detail (in this area) we assume it's a gang shooting. are hanging out doing their thug thizzle. Don't let the corporate sponsored media throw you off track. Guns are made for protection, they are not illegal, we have the right to bear arms as per the constitution. Once you get into the mindset that guns are bad is the day they've beat you. It's known as fear mongering. Bombard us every day and/or night with the top headlines always based on violence. That way you think it's so bad you beg the government to take away more of your freedoms and rights to supposedly protect you. They don't ever print the stories where the gun saves the day. No that's not interesting. Most people are Sheeple who will believe whatever they read or hear on the news. If this applys to you and it probably does.... It's not your fault you've been being conditioned this way for years. States like Arizona and Nevada have open carry laws for guns. You can wear them on your hip in certain areas and guess what folks???? Yep you guessed it, they have FAR LESS crime in these areas then Long Beach. WAKE UP PEOPLE.... for the important news you won't see hear please check out www.infowars.com
rbonilla

Berthoud, CO

#30 Oct 28, 2009
these murderes still make the papers? what's up w/that?...these events are not news anymonr....just another day in LB...

Since: May 08

Long Beach, California

#31 Oct 28, 2009
rbonilla wrote:
these murderes still make the papers? what's up w/that?...these events are not news anymonr....just another day in LB...
Sad but true. I know I'm starting to get desensitized.
formerLB Native

Boise, ID

#34 Oct 28, 2009
LBC Born and Raised wrote:
I have been in The Beach my full 24 years (lucky me). I live right on the corner of 19th and Cedar. Anything in the area close to PCH is grimey. We all know this. The underlying problem in this area is drugs. Crack to be exact. This article is so vague there's no telling what happened. Some of these shootings are gang related some are drug related. Naturally when we read a shooting with no description or detail (in this area) we assume it's a gang shooting. are hanging out doing their thug thizzle. Don't let the corporate sponsored media throw you off track. Guns are made for protection, they are not illegal, we have the right to bear arms as per the constitution. Once you get into the mindset that guns are bad is the day they've beat you. It's known as fear mongering. Bombard us every day and/or night with the top headlines always based on violence. That way you think it's so bad you beg the government to take away more of your freedoms and rights to supposedly protect you. They don't ever print the stories where the gun saves the day. No that's not interesting. Most people are Sheeple who will believe whatever they read or hear on the news. If this applys to you and it probably does.... It's not your fault you've been being conditioned this way for years. States like Arizona and Nevada have open carry laws for guns. You can wear them on your hip in certain areas and guess what folks???? Yep you guessed it, they have FAR LESS crime in these areas then Long Beach. WAKE UP PEOPLE.... for the important news you won't see hear please check out www.infowars.com
In Texas as well as Idaho it is much eaiser to get a conceled weapons permit. You can also carry them to be seen Felon,s cannot carry but we not hey they will not [ right ][and somme other States have made it eaiser to get concaled wepons permits after a back Ground Checks ]. and the crime rates do go down seems to down One thing though about haveing conceled weapons permit :if you are pulled over for a minor traffic infraction you do let your law enforcement person know that you are leagally carrying and have your permit with you. It will make it tensce for a moment as most Police know they cannot all crime and to have a leagly armed citzens does make then jittry.

Your traffic stop may be rougher. PCH is a crack infeastead crime ridden nighborhood along many strechs .There are also stretts like 19 and Cedar among others that if the honest citzen where allowed to carry crime would go down in Long Beach . If the stupid anti gun control people would let Califorinas carry I think you would see the crime rates drop rapidly. The very first thing that happener when Hurricane Katrnia hit they took the cuns . The Natl Guard is still down their today.

IF where to allowed to have guns I think you would see the crime rates go down as it did in other Cityes . I am deyslic and do proof read but some spelling errorsmay get through .
damon

Woodland Hills, CA

#36 Oct 29, 2009
Freedom of Speech wrote:
<quoted text> Because most of them used to live here and had the good sense to get the hell out while they still could do so. They see what's happening, and have every right to comment about it. Zat anser yur queshin?
Yep
damon

Woodland Hills, CA

#37 Oct 29, 2009
so what wrote:
19th and Cedar? Please...what do you expect? Its been like that for years. May I suggest to all the people who are really concerned about the city of Long Beach, to go to city hall and express your grievances to them along with contacting your local media outlets. Let the world know that you all are sick and tired of the way things have been. Again, its only a suggestion.
I tried that once, But nobody cared. The city didn't care to listen, And the media didn't see any reason to do a story on Long Beach crime being that from their words Long Beach has always been crime ridden so why do a story now? And i actually agreed.
damon

Woodland Hills, CA

#38 Oct 29, 2009
NYC is the most diverse city in America. I know long beach tried to say they are, But you can't even get good Chinese food in Long Beach. Clearly you have never been to a city with neighborhoods that cater to every ethnicity. All i see in Long Beach is mostly black and latino with some thai and cambodian. Some middle eastern here and there. How is that more diverse that NYC? Or even San Francisco. Long Beach has 500,000 residents. NYC has millions. Stop with the we are the most diverse city in America. Yeah i bet you actually believe that Long Beach is the aquatics capital of America like the city council wanted.
FOR REAL

La Mirada, CA

#39 Oct 29, 2009
Wow wrote:
Why people that aren't from Long Beach commenting?
sTAY OUT OF LBC AND YOU WONT GET HURT!
GET A LIFE

La Mirada, CA

#40 Oct 29, 2009
damon wrote:
<quoted text>
I tried that once, But nobody cared. The city didn't care to listen, And the media didn't see any reason to do a story on Long Beach crime being that from their words Long Beach has always been crime ridden so why do a story now? And i actually agreed.
I LOVE THE LBC!!!
VLAD

Phelan, CA

#41 Oct 29, 2009
I live in shore line i don't see alot a crime but
hate the speed limits, so many stupid drivers.
and so many people taxing you(asking for money)
tired of that s%$&*$#%
LBC Lifer

Cerritos, CA

#45 Oct 29, 2009
life in the lbc wrote:
<quoted text>
i like your comment,
and is true, i still walk the streets of long beach and no one tells me anything, looks at me bad, mad dogs me,. or hit me up. this is bases mostly of they way i look, which is not a gang type of look, walk, strut, swagger, or overall attitude.
i can walk down by the crips, longos, r20, and i dont bother them and they wont bother me, thats the way of the game in city we call long beach.
i hate how long beach is marketed, thanks snoop!!. as a dangerous, cant walk at night, watch out for the po po's, slang, shoot, kind of city, and the truth is its all talk, long beach has been good to me and my family for the last 35 years.
people long beach is not a rap video, and it is not a gangster town. stop trying to be gansta, wanksta's... if you reply to my comment your a wanksta!!!!
Is proper English really that hard? It's people like you that denigrate our city! I'm guessing you're a product of Long Beach's finest education, Jordan or Polly, perhaps?
StayAtHomeMom

Westminster, CA

#48 Oct 30, 2009
I don't want to hear comments about my city if you don't live here as of today !!! There's alot of us who are working very hard with our Law Enforcement Officers to fight crime ! It takes a whole city of citizens to do that job ! Once again Long Beach Citizens its your job to start a "NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH PROGRAM" I'm saying it now and I will continue to say it intill all our neighborhoods are "NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH" got it, now do it....Thank you for reading this....Have a great day !!!!!!!!!!
Smarter than you

Long Beach, CA

#52 Oct 30, 2009
Rude poster wrote:
<quoted text>Because so many people from Long Beach can't formulate a complete sentence. Which, by the way also explains the high gang membership and murder rates.
Hey, Rude poster, how about correcting your grammatical errors before you insult the intelligence of others!
JHZ

Cerritos, CA

#53 Oct 30, 2009
I live here and I am leaving. Just tonight there was more shooting and what sounded like a pipe bomb. And I live in the heights area about four blocks from the beach. There was a police chase and helicopters are still up so I'm guessing it will be on the news at 11 pm

So glad I found an apartment out of this hell hole. It was not like this when I moved here eight years ago. What the hell is going on? 14 to 16 rapes a month, how many people shot at? Nothing gets reported unless someone dies. And the city council is busy passing laws requiring cat licenses. This place is messed up.
JHZ

Cerritos, CA

#54 Oct 30, 2009
StayAtHomeMom wrote:
I don't want to hear comments about my city if you don't live here as of today !!! There's alot of us who are working very hard with our Law Enforcement Officers to fight crime ! It takes a whole city of citizens to do that job ! Once again Long Beach Citizens its your job to start a "NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH PROGRAM" I'm saying it now and I will continue to say it intill all our neighborhoods are "NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH" got it, now do it....Thank you for reading this....Have a great day !!!!!!!!!!
Hey I live here in what is considered the better part of town and again tonight I get to hear gun shots and a bomb and helicopters and sirens just a few blocks from me. Neighborhood watch isn't going to do a damn thing, they are just going to get shot here. WAKE UP There is a major gang problem in this city and yelling at people on an internet board isn't going to change a damn thing.
LB guy

Cerritos, CA

#55 Oct 30, 2009
19 street and 21st is a dangerous area, from cedar to Long Beach Blvd. also 20 and MLK, several years ago I was asaulted at gun point at 21st and pacific ave

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Angeles Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nearly 1 million immigrants ignoring deportation 1 hr Gwen 1
LA City Hall panel backs fining companies for a... 23 hr Robert 2
Poll Did God Intend For The Races To Be Separate? (Sep '12) Thu Robert 10
Smugglers use Uber-registered drivers to move m... Thu Harry 1
Marijuana is not a Good Mind Food for Recreation. Thu Culture Auditor 1
News 45 years later, Charles Manson still draws atte... (Aug '14) Thu Fatherted27 7
making money online - tips and suggestions (Jun '12) Jun 29 sunny 16

Los Angeles Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Angeles Mortgages