Local Iranians hold candelight vigil ...

Local Iranians hold candelight vigil in support of election pro...

There are 14 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jun 22, 2009, titled Local Iranians hold candelight vigil in support of election pro.... In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Local Iranians and their supporters held a candlelight vigil in Westwood Sunday to support protestors in their homeland defying a government crackdown to demand freedom, democracy and a new presidential election.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

get a life

Anaheim, CA

#1 Jun 22, 2009
``I came here to support my country,'' Jasmine Raoufi told KCAL9.``I think we really deserve freedom after all these years.''

I thought we were FREE here in America!
Is she an American or Iranian??

There inlays the problem....people have forgotten that when you come to America and become a citizen you swear allegiance to AMERICA ! Why do you come to this country and become a citizen if you love the country you left so much??

Make a difference.........you can't do it from here! Do you think the leaders of Iran care one bit what happens anywhere else in the world??? These animals are thumbing their noses are the world and building a nuclear weapon!

``I think this is larger than just the Iranian people, or just one country or even just one candidate,'' Nathaniel Kim, who is Asian, told the TV station.``This is really a statement about democracy worldwide.''

Oh really??? Then explain to me why the people in Iraq who have been given a huge opportunity to become democratic are slower than a nail at getting it??? They really don't want it! It's your Western mentality to think everyone wants democracy! If they did they too would be fighting for it just like we did 200+ years ago!

“bamboo forest and an iced tea”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#2 Jun 22, 2009
This is like making the movie, terhan in 444 days starring Obama as jimmy carter...
skeptic

Los Angeles, CA

#4 Jun 22, 2009
What kind of democracy holds women as a lower class of people? Men and religious zealots rule the country there and as long as that situation exists there will be no democracy, thats silly to even consider. The church has no place in ruling a country. Get rid of the religious fanatics and let women have power and the country will change. The problem is that the people in power want to keep things as they are and they will fight to the death to preserve there ways. As long as the religious fanatics have influence the country will never grow or change. The problem here is that the religious nuts want to keep there hold and influence. This is hard to change because they believe that theres is the one and only way and if anybody doesnt agree they should die. What loving and understanding people they are.
angry

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Jun 22, 2009
I was coming home from Westwood last night and I got stuck on one of the intersections trying to make a right turn on to Wilshire Blvd. It took over half an hour to make the turn with only 5 or 6 cars in front of me. I had a sick child in the car and the demonstrators kept blocking traffic and walking in front of cars and they even were banging on my car at one point. How can these people expect to garner my support when they completely ignore my rights. We actually were afraid at one point because we were surrounded by angry demonstrators and we felt that anything could happen at that point. I have no respect for any of the people out there. They have no right to inconvenience so many people trying to pass. They should have obeyed the law and stayed off of the streets and not disrupted traffic. I support change for the better but I dont support the unruly behavior of the demonstrators. What will this demonstration do? The answer is nothing. These people should vent there anger in other more creative ways.

“bamboo forest and an iced tea”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#6 Jun 22, 2009
skeptic wrote:
What kind of democracy holds women as a lower class of people? Men and religious zealots rule the country there and as long as that situation exists there will be no democracy, thats silly to even consider. The church has no place in ruling a country. Get rid of the religious fanatics and let women have power and the country will change. The problem is that the people in power want to keep things as they are and they will fight to the death to preserve there ways. As long as the religious fanatics have influence the country will never grow or change. The problem here is that the religious nuts want to keep there hold and influence. This is hard to change because they believe that theres is the one and only way and if anybody doesnt agree they should die. What loving and understanding people they are.
maybe you should see how the atheist run a country like north korean lol...
_BDD_

Walnut Creek, CA

#7 Jun 22, 2009
Really, we don't need to spread ourselves thin defending Democracy all over the world. Let the people fight for their rights. America already has a bad rep for peeking our nose into everyone's business. And for the so-called "Iranian" protesters here in the US. They're nothing but a nuisance. Are they Americans or Iranians? I wish they would stop calling that country their "homeland"; it was apparrent they deserted that place. I wish they would stop waiving the Iranian flag like the Mexicans... as if it has any meaning here.

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#8 Jun 22, 2009
_BDD_ wrote:
Really, we don't need to spread ourselves thin defending Democracy all over the world. Let the people fight for their rights. America already has a bad rep for peeking our nose into everyone's business. And for the so-called "Iranian" protesters here in the US. They're nothing but a nuisance. Are they Americans or Iranians? I wish they would stop calling that country their "homeland"; it was apparrent they deserted that place. I wish they would stop waiving the Iranian flag like the Mexicans... as if it has any meaning here.
I couldn't agree more!
surcher

Los Angeles, CA

#9 Jun 22, 2009
My prayers are with the bold and courageous protesters all over the world, especially the brave in Iran.
wanna know

United States

#10 Jun 22, 2009
get a life wrote:
``I came here to support my country,'' Jasmine Raoufi told KCAL9.``I think we really deserve freedom after all these years.''
I thought we were FREE here in America!
Is she an American or Iranian??
There inlays the problem....people have forgotten that when you come to America and become a citizen you swear allegiance to AMERICA ! Why do you come to this country and become a citizen if you love the country you left so much??
Make a difference.........you can't do it from here! Do you think the leaders of Iran care one bit what happens anywhere else in the world??? These animals are thumbing their noses are the world and building a nuclear weapon!
``I think this is larger than just the Iranian people, or just one country or even just one candidate,'' Nathaniel Kim, who is Asian, told the TV station.``This is really a statement about democracy worldwide.''
Oh really??? Then explain to me why the people in Iraq who have been given a huge opportunity to become democratic are slower than a nail at getting it??? They really don't want it! It's your Western mentality to think everyone wants democracy! If they did they too would be fighting for it just like we did 200+ years ago!
Dear "Get a life" Can you love both your mother and your father? Loving America doesn't mean cursing your ancestral home. I am descended from a Revolutionary War hero - a general, along with Washington. I too support the Iranians here who come here for freedom - and wish for it for those stuck in Iran. God willing the LIE-atollah Khamenei regime with its puppet President will be dumped. Maybe without nut jobs running Iran, life in the Middle East will be less perilous.
Stonedpony

Maryville, TN

#11 Jun 22, 2009
redpandabear wrote:
This is like making the movie, terhan in 444 days starring Obama as jimmy carter...
I second that statement. You have you had it to these protesters they have the balls that the Mexicans think they have. If the Mexicans had one ounce of their pride and attitude they could fix their own country and stop whining.
get a life

Anaheim, CA

#12 Jun 22, 2009
wanna know wrote:
<quoted text> Dear "Get a life" Can you love both your mother and your father? Loving America doesn't mean cursing your ancestral home. I am descended from a Revolutionary War hero - a general, along with Washington. I too support the Iranians here who come here for freedom - and wish for it for those stuck in Iran. God willing the LIE-atollah Khamenei regime with its puppet President will be dumped. Maybe without nut jobs running Iran, life in the Middle East will be less perilous.
Yeah right. Like "can't we all just along" BS. Please go back and re-read what I wrote and see if you can understand, cause I have no idea what you are talking about! And just how do you think dumping the government over there will happen when they have nothing to fight with except sticks and stones? And this my dear is why we have the 2nd Amendment!
HumanRightsinIra n

Los Angeles, CA

#13 Jun 23, 2009
A woman just posted about getting stuck in trafffic for half an hour because of the protest asking for her human rights.

Here's my response to her:

Now you have a little taste of what it's like for America to ignore Iran and allow the mullahs to violate human rights of women, children, religious minorities, and gays.

STOP IT IRAN!!!!!!!!!

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#15 Jun 23, 2009
HumanRightsinIran wrote:
A woman just posted about getting stuck in trafffic for half an hour because of the protest asking for her human rights.
Here's my response to her:
Now you have a little taste of what it's like for America to ignore Iran and allow the mullahs to violate human rights of women, children, religious minorities, and gays.
STOP IT IRAN!!!!!!!!!
So, Professor... what do you suggest WE do about internal strife in a foreign country? You are probably one of those libs who are pissed off that we are in Iraq, aren't you? It makes me sick when people on one hand want America to pay for and take care of all the world's problems and then rag about how we have no business doing it. Don't we have enough problems here at home with Obummer Hood spending us into oblivion and acting like a wimp around the world apologizing for all these perceived injustices?

What would YOU suggest we do? I'm really interested to see if you'll respond but I don't think you will.
LOL

San Bernardino, CA

#16 Jun 23, 2009
Stonedpony wrote:
<quoted text> I second that statement. You have you had it to these protesters they have the balls that the Mexicans think they have. If the Mexicans had one ounce of their pride and attitude they could fix their own country and stop whining.
what?!?! you sound "stoned" pony

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Report: Harrison Ford has jet run-in at Califor... Feb '17 tuba toofpaste 15
News Teen Nihilism Erupts in L.a. Premiere of Fierce... Feb '17 Bob 3
News What does Californiaa s 1994 immigration battle... Feb '17 Wildchild 1
News Lisa Vanderpump Is Unsure if She'll Return to '... (Jun '15) Dec '16 Pawlu 3
Black Widow Dec '16 Richie Rich 1
News Boston takes parking lessons from L.A., Seattle Dec '16 Strike three 2
News Reports say Kanye West has been hospitalized in... Nov '16 checkmate 10

Westwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westwood Mortgages