West Valley bus, rail routes to connect

West Valley bus, rail routes to connect

There are 21 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jan 23, 2009, titled West Valley bus, rail routes to connect. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

The MTA board on Thursday approved plans to move ahead with a $225 million, four-mile extension of the Orange Line busway, linking the San Fernando Valley's commuter bus with the Chatsworth Metrolink station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Kathy

Burbank, CA

#1 Jan 23, 2009
If our government would stop wasting money they wouldn't have had to raise taxes but since they did with Measure R it gave the politicians the greenlight to raise more. Most of us will never see it completed or use it and those of us who don't have kids it's just a waste of our tax dollars. I'm just tired of paying taxes after our government overspends and all they've done is overspend and overspend. I'll never be able to use any of these Measure R projects.
Evan

Oswego, IL

#2 Jan 23, 2009
www.thedollarstory.com Please check it out, i need help!
Norman Moore

Tujunga, CA

#3 Jan 23, 2009
Kathy wrote:
If our government would stop wasting money they wouldn't have had to raise taxes but since they did with Measure R it gave the politicians the greenlight to raise more. Most of us will never see it completed or use it and those of us who don't have kids it's just a waste of our tax dollars. I'm just tired of paying taxes after our government overspends and all they've done is overspend and overspend. I'll never be able to use any of these Measure R projects.
I'm sorry that you won't be able to use any of these projects. However since I no longer can afford owning a car, I use these facilities extensively. Yes I am being selfish. I also recognize that this is not the best of times to be spending more money on such things, however I have to disagree with your negative views.

When they built the rail systems like Metrolink and Metrorail (light rail lines) they should have been more planning for interconnection and co terminations. For instance I contend that the Redline Subway should have ended at the Bob Hope Airport with the Amtrak/Metrolink station nearby. Also this Orange Line should have been built as now proposed, except that instead of a busway it should have been light rail which is faster and greener for the polar bear lovers too. It was supposed to have been a rail line from North Hollywood to Chatsworth but the Nimbys along Chandler got legislation pushed through by the late disgraced pedophile state senator Alan Robbins. The special bill forbad the use of light rail along the old rail line which is now used as the busway.

The way they ended up the subway in North Hollywood, for years you had to depend on local bus routes to get away from the station to any final destination. Not very user friendly for travelers with luggage since most of those buses were already packed. At the other end the subway ends at Union Station now with the Orange Line connecting to Pasadena and coming soon East LA. The Greyhound station should have also been place there but that is another thing they left out. Eventually they plan to have the Green Line go to LAX but no one knows when that I know of.
Ellen

United States

#4 Jan 23, 2009
As one of many residents in the area this is a great way to help with the traffic congestion for the valley area. Unfortunatley this also gives the area residents additional traffic concerns. It is difficult to say the least to turn out of the driveway onto Lassen at this time. Once this project is underway and finally completed it will be virtually impossible to make a right and especiially a left turn. I can only hope that the planning committe plans to put up some type of light so that we can come and go with the ease of making a turn and avoid any potential accidents.
Taxpayer_Voter

Burbank, CA

#5 Jan 23, 2009
How can they plan when we have 3 traffic engineers for the entire city!!!!
mantas

Vilnius, Lithuania

#6 Jan 23, 2009
man patinka rs
mantas

Vilnius, Lithuania

#7 Jan 23, 2009
sa

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#8 Jan 23, 2009
Ellen wrote:
As one of many residents in the area this is a great way to help with the traffic congestion for the valley area. Unfortunatley this also gives the area residents additional traffic concerns. It is difficult to say the least to turn out of the driveway onto Lassen at this time. Once this project is underway and finally completed it will be virtually impossible to make a right and especiially a left turn. I can only hope that the planning committe plans to put up some type of light so that we can come and go with the ease of making a turn and avoid any potential accidents.
Exactly! I live near the Chatsworth station and with all the construction and resulting traffic it's going to be a nightmare!
Alek F

Garden Grove, CA

#9 Jan 23, 2009
When will they stop doing those stupid Bus project?! It's time to upgrade the Orange line to Light-Rail! Only then (and only THEN) will MTA see a significant overall rise in ridership, and will get more respect from the general public.
Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#10 Jan 23, 2009
How wonderful to see several million of our tax dollars being spent on studies that nobody reads or pays attention to. But the bureaucrats and consultants love this stuff because it keeps them employed.
Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#11 Jan 23, 2009
Alek F wrote:
When will they stop doing those stupid Bus project?! It's time to upgrade the Orange line to Light-Rail! Only then (and only THEN) will MTA see a significant overall rise in ridership, and will get more respect from the general public.
Illegal aliens prefer riding expensive and inflexible choo choo trains over cost-effient buses?
Nancy

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Jan 23, 2009
Bureaucratic Mess wrote:
<quoted text>
Illegal aliens prefer riding expensive and inflexible choo choo trains over cost-effient buses?
Prefer???? Prefer??? All residents, legal or not DREAM of riding expensive and inflexible but INCREDIBLY FAST and EFFICIENT choo choo trains.
Tom Fafard - Winnetka

Palm Springs, CA

#13 Jan 23, 2009
This project will benefit some people and it is called for. However we probably will never see it happen. If you have ever traveled up Canoga Ave, you will notice a number of "trespassers" using this right-of-way" for their businesses. As soon as the project will begin, these businesses will find ways to block it. We as the taxpayers will lose again.
Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#14 Jan 23, 2009
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
Prefer???? Prefer??? All residents, legal or not DREAM of riding expensive and inflexible but INCREDIBLY FAST and EFFICIENT choo choo trains.
Yeah, prefer. Got a reading problem?

That's a rather ridiculously sweeping statement don't you think? Cars and buses are flexible and efficient; not choo choo trains. Choo choo trains are expensive to purchase and maintain and rails don't change direction without a lot of work.

When I want fast, I'll fly. I've ridden street cars, subways and commuter trains -- they're anything but fast, especially with multiple stops to load and unload passengers (even when no one steps on or off the choo choo). I rode the red line from North Hollywood to downtown and it took me over an hour in the middle of the afternoon. I could have driven and made it in less than a half hour, even in heavy traffic. My car cost me a few thousand and got me to the subway station, I paid for it out of my own pocket,... the red line cost billions of taxpayer money and I still had to pay to ride it.
Nancy

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Jan 23, 2009
Bureaucratic Mess wrote:
<quoted text>
I could have driven and made it in less than a half hour, even in heavy traffic. My car cost me a few thousand and got me to the subway station, I paid for it out of my own pocket,... the red line cost billions of taxpayer money and I still had to pay to ride it.
I get it. You love your car, and you don't want to spend your money on something that isn't as convenient and efficient. But I think you forget two things: 1)Traffic is only going to get worse, and then your car is not going to be so convenient anymore, and 2)A lot of people can't drive for various reasons and while buses should be adequate for transportation, they can't very well be when fighting for the same space as cars.

Now, I agree with you that a solution of increasing buses and bus frequency is a good idea, but I don't think that ragging on trains (subways) is entirely fair either.

I don't know if you have ever been to Europe, but I can tell you that prior to my first trip there, ignorance was bliss. Once you have experienced the efficiency of Paris' or London's subway system, you will realize the folly of our gas guzzling ways.

Not to mention the green house emissions, air pollution, etc.
Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#16 Jan 23, 2009
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
I get it. You love your car, and you don't want to spend your money on something that isn't as convenient and efficient. But I think you forget two things: 1)Traffic is only going to get worse, and then your car is not going to be so convenient anymore, and 2)A lot of people can't drive for various reasons and while buses should be adequate for transportation, they can't very well be when fighting for the same space as cars.
Now, I agree with you that a solution of increasing buses and bus frequency is a good idea, but I don't think that ragging on trains (subways) is entirely fair either.
I don't know if you have ever been to Europe, but I can tell you that prior to my first trip there, ignorance was bliss. Once you have experienced the efficiency of Paris' or London's subway system, you will realize the folly of our gas guzzling ways.
Not to mention the green house emissions, air pollution, etc.
You're correct, I much prefer the flexibility and cost efficiency of my car. See, I can choose to drive a little gas saver or a big luxury sports car. I can drive it anywhere I want to go any time I'm ready to go. Clearly, so do most Americans.

When you take my money in the form of taxes to build hugeley expensive, inefficient, and inflexible government-run choo choo trains and then charge me to rid them, I'm not happy.

The answer is to build more roads, better roads, maintain existing roads better, more fuel efficient cars, and alternative fuel personal vehicles. These massive public transporation projects are a joke. But the politicians and bureaucrats employed in them love them. People that can't drive can use private shuttles and taxis.

Lady, I've been all over Europe and other parts of the world. I do NOT want the USA to become anything like it, thank you very much. I didn't like walking and waiting in the rain and cold to catch a smelly choo choo train with a bunch of burly hoodlums on it that didn't even take me within a few blocks of my final destination. And I do NOT want to be underground like a sewer rat in So Cal.

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#17 Jan 23, 2009
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm a legal resident and I DO NOT PREFER OR DREAM of riding any kind of train run by MTA. The only thing they seem to be efficient in lately is killing people either by suicide, accident or incompetence. So don't include me in your all-knowing judgement.
Common Sense

Glendale, CA

#18 Jan 23, 2009
When I see video of throngs of Japanese workers being literally pushed and shoved into stuffed commuter trains like herds of cattle I always think, "Wow, I sure wish I was with them." And then I sip my warm coffee, turn up my stereo, take a bite out of my Egg McMuffin, fart, and then I let the top down on my convervible and keep driving in happy bliss.
Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#19 Jan 26, 2009
Common Sense wrote:
When I see video of throngs of Japanese workers being literally pushed and shoved into stuffed commuter trains like herds of cattle I always think, "Wow, I sure wish I was with them." And then I sip my warm coffee, turn up my stereo, take a bite out of my Egg McMuffin, fart, and then I let the top down on my convervible and keep driving in happy bliss.
Nice! I'd bet that the public transit riders prefer you to stay in your car. LOL
Bureaucratic Mess

Pasadena, CA

#20 Jan 26, 2009
NYC has a "lovely" subway and rail system:
http://tv.yahoo.com/csi-crime-scene-investiga...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama helps raise campaign cash for Democrats a... (Oct '14) Sat Native Indian 10
News Thousands march in Los Angeles to demand releas... Apr 19 right guard 4
News Reports say Kanye West has been hospitalized in... Apr 2 diekanye 11
News Selena Gomez Shares 'Nude' Photo On Instagram, ... (Mar '14) Mar 31 Nortis 9
News Owner Lisa Henson defends renovations on histor... Mar 30 Gina 1
News Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Holly F... (Oct '12) Mar 30 concerned citizen 5
Bishop Charles Edward will be exposed in 2012/s... (Feb '12) Mar 29 Mable Madison 14

Westwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westwood Mortgages