Widening on Sepulveda Pass to start

Widening on Sepulveda Pass to start

There are 51 comments on the LA Daily News story from Nov 21, 2009, titled Widening on Sepulveda Pass to start. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Caltrans crews are expected to start working on the $950 million Sepulveda Pass freeway widening project shortly before Christmas, according to state officials.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
aka

United States

#1 Nov 21, 2009
very nice,
I hope it'll help ease the hopeless traffic to some extent.
Coach

Whittier, CA

#2 Nov 21, 2009
L.A. suxs goats.
Common Sense

Hawthorne, CA

#3 Nov 22, 2009
Coach wrote:
L.A. suxs goats.
Wow you are so awesome p e ni s lips
Scott

Mission Hills, CA

#4 Nov 22, 2009
Widening the freeway is not the answer. They can keep widening the freeway to 10 lanes on each side & it will only be a temporary solution. People in the Valley have been waiting 20 years for a rail system to connect the Valley to the city. It's ridiculous that the mayor & city council still ignore the transportation needs of 1/3 of the city's residents. And they wonder why we wanted to secede.
Justin

Santa Clarita, CA

#5 Nov 22, 2009
Agreed, they should do a rail project down the 405, from Santa Clarita to Long Beach. People would then be able to connect via the rail system to work throughout the valley to westwood and to LAX. Think about how much traffic would be relieved by having a rail system that stopped throughout the valley and to LAX. They should widen the highway and leave space in the middle for metro stations. The cost would be astronomical, however, so good luck getting the funds. It would be for the better though. The city officials want rail to the sea first and that's expected to be billions and not be done until like 2030-something, so maybe our grandchildren will get rail through the valley.
newsnut

La Canada Flintridge, CA

#6 Nov 22, 2009
The major problem is the Santa Monica freeway connection, it goes from 5 or 6 lanes down to 3 in both directions on the 405. This is the cause of the constant cluster fxxk. Also every single day I'm on that freeway, there are people who are in the fast lane, and drive below the speed limit that cause the backups and accidents. What this stupid state should do is have a red dot 75 mile an hour fast lane. And people who want this express lane pay (let's say a 100 bucks a year) for the privilege. Speed limits should be set in the lanes 75 express, then 65 60 55. This would make traffic flow much smoother. And the car pool lane is any thing but. It is not used by working commuters, and has been another absolute failure. So now we have to suffer through 3 more agonizing years of freeway construction, which will accomplish nothing but more traffic chaos.
Not in LA Anymore

Warrior, AL

#7 Nov 22, 2009
Closing the border would be a good start,that would take care of millions. YA THINK!!!
John

Irvine, CA

#8 Nov 22, 2009
I'd let everyone use the express lane. Everyone pays taxes for it, so everyone should be allowed to use it. Free the express lane!
asdf

Woodland Hills, CA

#9 Nov 22, 2009
Not in LA Anymore wrote:
Closing the border would be a good start,that would take care of millions. YA THINK!!!
AHAHA White trash much??
Paul

Los Angeles, CA

#10 Nov 22, 2009
FINALLY !
Paul

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Nov 22, 2009
yeah close the border as well...for this reason and so many more

Since: Jan 09

Los Angeles, CA

#12 Nov 22, 2009
I'm just glad I can get from home to work without using the freeway. Sweet!!! It's going to be a rough 3 years for those using the 405 thru Sepulveda Pass.
I dont get it

Venice, CA

#13 Nov 22, 2009
everything south of Sunset was re-done just recently!!!!!!!!!!

“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Nov 22, 2009
Three years of worse traffic and congestion.

What a nightmare.

And this is really going to solve anything?

Los Angeles will have a collective nervous breakdown,
go completely bankrupt,
or be destroyed by an earthquake
before this project is completed.

LA ='La Ciudad de Santuario', the 'Lunatic Asylum'.....
dan

United States

#15 Nov 22, 2009
Caltrans insanity continues! Only a couple of years ago, Caltrans finished a multiyear project to create a carpool lane on the southbound portion of the 405. Now they're going to do it all over again. And you thought that you were inconvenienced by the previous project? Just wait.
The real crime here is that for the $1 BILLION that Caltrans is spending to widen the 405, a high speed train all the way from the valley to LAX could be built. But since the middle management level of Caltrans wants to ensure their jobs for the next decade, they keep using taxpayer money to "improve" roads rather than allow funds to be diverted for mass transit projects over which they have no control.
Nothing short of criminal insanity!
NE Transplant

Portland, OR

#16 Nov 22, 2009
I've been living in LA for a year now and can't understand the aversion to good mass transit. People spend in ordinate amount of time in their cars here, perform unnatural acts to avoid peak traffic and allow traffic congestion to ruin their quality of life. The commute options here are abysmal when compared with any city in the NE. Even San Francisco has the BART option. Not until Angelenos get over their fear of mass transit, will there be a sincere attempt to construct viable usable transit in this town.
Stupid fckus

United States

#17 Nov 22, 2009
Wow, so they're going to spend a billion dollars and add 6 inches to the already existing lanes and make a handful of retaining walls all while causing the ULTIMATE clusterfck with an additional 2 hour wait on the already gridlocked 405? Why not just pay Chinese immigrants in rickshaws .12 an hour to move commuters over the miserable pass? California politicians need a huge kick in the ass! F*cking ridiculous! At least I'll have health insurance in a couple years so all of you working grunts can pay for my counseling and antidepressants.
Sniper

Pinecrest, CA

#18 Nov 22, 2009
asdf wrote:
<quoted text>
AHAHA White trash much??
If they would just outlaw old Toyota pickups with crap piled 10 feet above the cab, there would be a dramatic reduction in freeway traffic.
G Bender

Lakewood, CA

#19 Nov 22, 2009
funny, they state a $950M project, but the Contractor's bid was $740M. This project is going to be quite an undertaking. If you live in this area, the traffic will be much worse before it- *hopefully*- gets much better.
StreetCat

Van Nuys, CA

#20 Nov 22, 2009
I second another poster's opinion that widening of the freeway and/or adding more carpool lanes is not the answer to the problem, and at best will only bring temporarily relief. It's also a major waste of taxpayer money!
First off, on every major LA freeway the choke point is either an intersection, or a popular offramp. In the case of the Sepulveda pass there is the Ventura Fwy intersection to the north and the Santa Monica Fwy to the south. Those intersections will not go away (can't, obviously), and so nothing will change over time except more car will be funneled into those choke points.
Light rails, metro rails or other serious mass transit project might be a much better alternative, and more efficient use of taxpayer $$$.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Westwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kim Kardashian Facing Fur-ious Protest At Calab... (Apr '12) Sep 22 Teri Copley Actress 9
News British YouTube star Calum McSwiggan who 'faked... Jul '16 Curtis 1
News Restaurant review: Potholder Caf stands out in ... Jul '16 Ronald 1
News YouTube star Calum McSwiggan charged over West ... Jun '16 Wilbur 2
Bishop Charles Edward will be exposed in 2012/s... (Feb '12) Jun '16 john lee 12
News Attempted Arson Suspected at Kardashian-Owned S... Jun '16 Ay- que tontos 2
News Sports Arena closing after hosting huge 20th ce... May '16 UFOs are real 1

Westwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Westwood Mortgages