Students look to 2012 after immigrati...

Students look to 2012 after immigration bill fails

There are 129 comments on the Daily Democrat story from Dec 20, 2010, titled Students look to 2012 after immigration bill fails. In it, Daily Democrat reports that:

Emboldened by months of phone calls to lawmakers, hunger strikes and sit-ins, a group of college students and graduates in Los Angeles say they plan to take their fight for immigrant rights to the states and the 2012 election after Senate Republicans blocked a key piece of legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Daily Democrat.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Tired of Nobody Listening

Esparto, CA

#1 Dec 20, 2010
It's not immigrants that the people are opposed to. The term "illegal" that has people upset. If they followed the rules that everyone else has to follow...we wouldn't have the problem. It's pretty simple, but no one wants to hear this. They want to blame, blame, blame. They want something for nothing. Sorry, there are laws. The may stink, but they are there. If we break laws as citizens, there is punishment. Why do those who are committing "illegal" acts in our country not get punished...but are rewarded for it? Come on. Really? That's what the whole problem is, but NOT ONE of these people in this article will want to hear that. It's not hatred, it's not a racial thing. It's common sense! If you're not hear legally...you're illegal. That's not something that should be tolerated in this country.

Since: Apr 08

Esparto, Ca.

#2 Dec 20, 2010
Boo Freakin' Hoo! Why should these non-citizens think that they are entitled to a taxpayer subsidized education over our own American citizen children? Where are the jobs after getting an education? My children are doing very well in school and the outlook for their employment in California is dim. My husband and I have paid taxes all of our working life without taking any entitlements. My father and grandfathers have fought in wars to protect me and my family's liberties. What "skin in the game" do these "Johnnie come lately" illegals have that gives them the same benefits and rights that citizens have? They need to go back to their motherland and make it a better place. Or is that too much work?
woodland resident

Woodland, CA

#3 Dec 20, 2010
They are not immigrants either. To be an immigrant one must apply for immigrant status with an immigration application. Once that application is accepted you are then an immigrant. The first step of legal immigration and resident alien status. All of this goes through D.H.S., I.N.S. and N.V.C. with forms and fees.

Those people are illegal aliens and should have no status nor recognition. They should be prosecuted for violation of the federal law against crossing the border without authorization. Then they should be returned across the border.

Since: Jul 10

San Francisco, CA

#4 Dec 20, 2010
I can't believe that illegals think that just because they are illegal, we need to lay out stepping stones for them to "better themselves". Really? If you want that then do it the right, correct and legal way. You should have to pay taxes to help fund that financial aid you are demanding or expecting. You should pay taxes just like all the other legal working citizens do in this country to help fund all the crap you are expecting to come over and just get handed to you. I have a family to care for just like all those who come here to make a better life. I've worked since I was 16, paying taxes, paying for my OWN EDUCATION and caring for my family. EVERYONE needs to do the same, otherwise this country will start looking like the very country all the illegals escaped for a "better life". Maybe if they put as much effort into the country they left as they do marching down our streets, ranting and raving about what they THINK they deserve and need to get because they are ILLEGAL, then they wouldn't have to leave that country! The whole topic on financing the education for illegal immigrants is so mind blowing. We have LEGAL citizens here who have a hard enough time covering their schooling and struggling financially with the tuition hikes, yet we are going to sign a check or cut some sort of deal to make it easier for those who can't even working here legally and pay taxes. This is disgusting. Keep catering to those who are running this country down, and see where we as a country end up.
Hmmmm

United States

#5 Dec 20, 2010
They are obviously illegal but it is sad that we are trying so hard to deport a segment of the population that is working hard to become educated, serve their adopted country and would be great citizens. But, that is another story.
citygirl

Modesto, CA

#6 Dec 20, 2010
Tired of Nobody Listening wrote:
It's not immigrants that the people are opposed to. The term "illegal" that has people upset. If they followed the rules that everyone else has to follow...we wouldn't have the problem. It's pretty simple, but no one wants to hear this. They want to blame, blame, blame. They want something for nothing. Sorry, there are laws. The may stink, but they are there. If we break laws as citizens, there is punishment. Why do those who are committing "illegal" acts in our country not get punished...but are rewarded for it? Come on. Really? That's what the whole problem is, but NOT ONE of these people in this article will want to hear that. It's not hatred, it's not a racial thing. It's common sense! If you're not hear legally...you're illegal. That's not something that should be tolerated in this country.
I totally understand your view but It is a one sided view..and that is what people who think like you fail to see.. They want to blame these immigrants for crossing the border undocumented..These people cross the border because the country that suppose to be for the people is not... instead it's killing after killing.. I guarantee you that if you were in their shoes you would be crossing the border to survive and provide a better future for your family.. That is the side you all fail to see.. It's our moral responsibility to not ignore the problem.. The USA is in 3rd world countries fighting a war .,.. The people of Mexico deserve protection just like Irak and Afgan people do..
Enough

Sacramento, CA

#7 Dec 20, 2010
citygirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally understand your view but It is a one sided view..and that is what people who think like you fail to see.. They want to blame these immigrants for crossing the border undocumented..These people cross the border because the country that suppose to be for the people is not... instead it's killing after killing.. I guarantee you that if you were in their shoes you would be crossing the border to survive and provide a better future for your family.. That is the side you all fail to see.. It's our moral responsibility to not ignore the problem.. The USA is in 3rd world countries fighting a war .,.. The people of Mexico deserve protection just like Irak and Afgan people do..
It is neither our moral, ethical or financial responsibility to support illegal immigration. Period. That is the part that you and those like you do not get.
citygirl

Modesto, CA

#8 Dec 20, 2010
MillerSmith wrote:
I can't believe that illegals think that just because they are illegal, we need to lay out stepping stones for them to "better themselves". Really? If you want that then do it the right, correct and legal way. You should have to pay taxes to help fund that financial aid you are demanding or expecting. You should pay taxes just like all the other legal working citizens do in this country to help fund all the crap you are expecting to come over and just get handed to you. I have a family to care for just like all those who come here to make a better life. I've worked since I was 16, paying taxes, paying for my OWN EDUCATION and caring for my family. EVERYONE needs to do the same, otherwise this country will start looking like the very country all the illegals escaped for a "better life". Maybe if they put as much effort into the country they left as they do marching down our streets, ranting and raving about what they THINK they deserve and need to get because they are ILLEGAL, then they wouldn't have to leave that country! The whole topic on financing the education for illegal immigrants is so mind blowing. We have LEGAL citizens here who have a hard enough time covering their schooling and struggling financially with the tuition hikes, yet we are going to sign a check or cut some sort of deal to make it easier for those who can't even working here legally and pay taxes. This is disgusting. Keep catering to those who are running this country down, and see where we as a country end up.
I believe they would be paying taxes if they were given the right to work after graduating with a degree... these are future doctors, nurses, teachers etc.. they will be giving back to the community.. I don't think they are asking for a free lunch..... duh!!

FYI it takes more than effort and marching down the street to make their country a better one.. Hello!! I'm sure you've heard the country is being ran by criminals.. and I'm sure you see what happens to anyone who try's to speak up, they get shot dead... so don't come on here acting like everything you have.. you earned.. Im sure you have been given a hand out when needed..
citygirl

Modesto, CA

#9 Dec 20, 2010
Hmmmm wrote:
They are obviously illegal but it is sad that we are trying so hard to deport a segment of the population that is working hard to become educated, serve their adopted country and would be great citizens. But, that is another story.
Short And Sweet... Very Well said...
citygirl

Modesto, CA

#10 Dec 20, 2010
woodland resident wrote:
They are not immigrants either. To be an immigrant one must apply for immigrant status with an immigration application. Once that application is accepted you are then an immigrant. The first step of legal immigration and resident alien status. All of this goes through D.H.S., I.N.S. and N.V.C. with forms and fees.
Those people are illegal aliens and should have no status nor recognition. They should be prosecuted for violation of the federal law against crossing the border without authorization. Then they should be returned across the border.
and you my friend should stay in your house and not come out what's so ever... Such ignorance..........I would hate to associate with you!! you have no clue why people are crossing the border.. I would love to watch you live in these countries where these people come from.. It is then you would understand why they are crossing the border illegaly.... you should take a trip out to these poor corupted countries and see for your self!! I Dare you
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#11 Dec 20, 2010
their fight for immigrant rights

Really Amy Taxin?

Zero journalistic integrity.

Illegal aliens demand rights is more like it.

Don't try to smear my legal immigrant husband with your illegal aliens.

This has nothing to do with legal immigrants.

Did they teach you to twist, lie and distort the truth in journalism school or did you come up with this on your own?
citygirl

Modesto, CA

#12 Dec 20, 2010
Pat in Mexifornia wrote:
Boo Freakin' Hoo! Why should these non-citizens think that they are entitled to a taxpayer subsidized education over our own American citizen children? Where are the jobs after getting an education? My children are doing very well in school and the outlook for their employment in California is dim. My husband and I have paid taxes all of our working life without taking any entitlements. My father and grandfathers have fought in wars to protect me and my family's liberties. What "skin in the game" do these "Johnnie come lately" illegals have that gives them the same benefits and rights that citizens have? They need to go back to their motherland and make it a better place. Or is that too much work?
to answer your question:: It takes more than hard work to make their motherland a better place to live... We have our military out in Iraq and Afgan helping those people when the same thing is going on in Mexica.. what makes them more important ?? Please do tell..........

San Francisco, CA

#13 Dec 20, 2010
citygirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it is one-sided at all. We all know that immigrants go to a different country for a reason, mostly to have a better life than the one they had in the country they originally came from. The problem is with those that come to the country and continue to be illegal, taking on NO responsibility as far as paying taxes and helping to fund the financial help they want and protest to receive. If they come to the country and do all the right steps to become a legal citizen, then I say give them all the same as any other legal citizen. They need help paying for school- they can apply for financial aid just like any other legal citizen does. They need money to support themselves- they can legally get a job and pay taxes like every other legal citizen. Its not about kicking them when they are down, but it also shouldn't be about paving the way for them just because they had a hard life elsewhere. If they can't contribute the the structures that keep America going, unlike the country they left, then they shouldn't be allowed to reap any benefits or help this country has to offer. Its not our "moral responsibility" to support those who refuse to support this country.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Dec 20, 2010
Hmmmm wrote:
Adopted doesn't fit at all. Co-opted is more like it.

Sorry, they're illegal aliens. They are not the problem of the citizens of the USA and that's that. We owe them nothing more than swift justice and deportation.
Ad Rem

Martinez, CA

#15 Dec 20, 2010
citygirl wrote:
<quoted text>
to answer your question:: It takes more than hard work to make their motherland a better place to live... We have our military out in Iraq and Afgan helping those people when the same thing is going on in Mexica.. what makes them more important ?? Please do tell..........
Please list 5 countries that have stepped up to the plate more than the USA, to solve Mexico's (as one example) on-going problems.
Woodland Conservative

United States

#16 Dec 20, 2010
I'm willing to let these kids stay if they GRADUATE from college or if they successfully complete a military committment (honorable discharge or reenlist) - write the law that way, leave off all the other stuff they put in the legislation and I'm 100% behind it. Hard work should be rewarded, not signing up for community college and never attending a class.

San Francisco, CA

#17 Dec 20, 2010
citygirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe they would be paying taxes if they were given the right to work after graduating with a degree... these are future doctors, nurses, teachers etc.. they will be giving back to the community.. I don't think they are asking for a free lunch..... duh!!
FYI it takes more than effort and marching down the street to make their country a better one.. Hello!! I'm sure you've heard the country is being ran by criminals.. and I'm sure you see what happens to anyone who try's to speak up, they get shot dead... so don't come on here acting like everything you have.. you earned.. Im sure you have been given a hand out when needed..
Hmm- asking for financial aid, driver's license and the such without having to be a legal citizen or pay taxes is asking for more than a free lunch! Why should we wait for them to get a FREE EDUCATION on taxpayers money before they start to contribute in taxes? FYI McDonalds doesn't require a degree to work there- get your citizenship, start there, CONTRIBUTE TO THIS COUNTRY, and work your way up. Don't come to this country expecting to be the next "doctor, nurse or teacher" for free. Don't expect to come to this country, sit around demanding your new life to be handed to you, while you do nothing to help it. Get a citizenship. Get a job. And work for it. Everyone else does it. Why should those who cry "whoa is me" get a break over anyone else? The things I do have in my life I have earned. Illegal immigrants aren't the only ones that have hard times in this country, yet they are the only ones demanding to be taken care of by everyone else. And any handout I do ever get is well earned. I am a legal citizen, I pay taxes so if I need help, at least I've contributed. And to be quite honest I'm not worried about what is happening in their country. I live here in America. My job is to take care of this country and support it. My job is not to make everyone else's life happy and easy. You want to come to this country? So be it. NO ONE is saying NOT TO. We're just saying to do it legally, and help this country so it doesn't turn out like the country you just left.
I remember

Woodland, CA

#18 Dec 20, 2010
citygirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are all of them not coming? If these "illegals" join the Military and serve the United States for two years, to prove their loyalty to the US. then make them a citizen.
citygirl

Modesto, CA

#19 Dec 20, 2010
MillerSmith wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think it is one-sided at all. We all know that immigrants go to a different country for a reason, mostly to have a better life than the one they had in the country they originally came from. The problem is with those that come to the country and continue to be illegal, taking on NO responsibility as far as paying taxes and helping to fund the financial help they want and protest to receive. If they come to the country and do all the right steps to become a legal citizen, then I say give them all the same as any other legal citizen. They need help paying for school- they can apply for financial aid just like any other legal citizen does. They need money to support themselves- they can legally get a job and pay taxes like every other legal citizen. Its not about kicking them when they are down, but it also shouldn't be about paving the way for them just because they had a hard life elsewhere. If they can't contribute the the structures that keep America going, unlike the country they left, then they shouldn't be allowed to reap any benefits or help this country has to offer. Its not our "moral responsibility" to support those who refuse to support this country.
I understand your point of view.. but how will they do this if they are not allowed to get the proper documentation that is needed for this?? Please do tell?? these are students we are talking about in this article not just anybody but students who are trying to gain the knowledge they need for a better and brighter future.. so tell me how would this be a handout for them?? they are not asking for freebies... just the same rights as other students.. they are dammed if they do and dammed if they don't
citygirl

Modesto, CA

#20 Dec 20, 2010
Enough wrote:
<quoted text> It is neither our moral, ethical or financial responsibility to support illegal immigration. Period. That is the part that you and those like you do not get.
so then why is the US armed forces in a 3rd world country.. Our Soldiers are dying ?? for what ?? because the goverment has morals?, it's being ethical? or for financial reasons?? Please explain why americans are dying left and right in a far out country??
Mexico is just as bad, why ain't the people there getting help??

another thing..........speak for your self about the moral and ethical ... I see everone person especially a child as an equal.. something you will never be able to do since you have no morals and being unethical is your preference.. I'm just saying..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Paris Jackson shows off new sunflower tattoo as... 1 hr The Power Of Mast... 4
News Massive crowd gathers at Pershing Square for Wo... 11 hr tomin cali 4
News Thousands gather in downtown LA for women's march Sun Political Atheist 4
Trump is president I'm waiting for celebrities... Sat The Tru-th 12
News Bangladeshi' shot dead during robbery in Los An... Sat 25or6to4 1
News Activists Led by Al Sharpton Brave Cold, Rain f... Sat Raven 80
Palmdale Founders Day Celebration - Help Needed! Fri Tony 2

Downtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Downtown Mortgages