RFK is LAUSD's most costly campus a "...

RFK is LAUSD's most costly campus a " and it needs more cash

There are 81 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jul 9, 2010, titled RFK is LAUSD's most costly campus a " and it needs more cash. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

A view of the high school entrance at the new Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools location Friday, July 9, 2010, in Los Angeles, CA.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Eric

Temecula, CA

#1 Jul 9, 2010
How many teachers and other personal would have secure jobs without the school being built?

Talking benchs wont do a thing when the people at the school cant understand them...
Bert

United States

#2 Jul 9, 2010
What a gigantic waste of tax payer money on anchor babies, etc!!
YourMOM

Downey, CA

#3 Jul 9, 2010
Same old LAUSD build with all the bells and whistles, go over budget and don't teach the basics. The building is a hollow shell where the kids won't learn the skills needed the upcoming job. We need to go back to building the basics in education.
get a life

West Hollywood, CA

#4 Jul 9, 2010
"The Robert F. Kennedy Community Schools, a K-12 complex on the former site of the Ambassador Hotel where Kennedy was assassinated in 1968, needs the money to satisfy environmental regulations.'
WE ARE JUST NOW FINDING OUT ABOUT? And the reason is, why??? Environmental regulations? Just what regulations have come up that were not known before? Who's asleep on the job? This is a major screwing of the public! Tell the f-ing environmentalist to shove it!
get a life

West Hollywood, CA

#5 Jul 9, 2010
that was (f*fing)
Laura

Covina, CA

#7 Jul 9, 2010
And LAUSD is telling everyone there is no money. Why are they building new schools when they have 20% less students than five year ago? Break this monster up and put all the board members in jail for fiscal mismanagement.
cjh

Fullerton, CA

#8 Jul 9, 2010
LA does this every time. Fire stations, police dept.s, libraries...etc. They can't build without going over budget and have no clue where the money will come from to staff them.
Hello anyone home

Torrance, CA

#9 Jul 10, 2010
And the major point I picked up in this article which should infuriate everyone is:
From its inception, the Ambassador schools were intended to be one of the most elaborate campuses, funded through the district's $20 billion voter-approved construction bond program.

$20 billion for approved construction, now why all the hundreds of millions in one school? Do you not see why any future school taxes have to be voted down? There are enough schools currently built that could have been expanded, remodeled, restored-and this much poured into one school. Whoever approved of this should lose their job yesterday! And by the way, when does the graffiti start and is there a parking lane for the police cars that are stationed at every school in this low crime (pun) city?
sndpppr

Glendora, CA

#10 Jul 10, 2010
This article passed a moment in History when it failed to mention the person who shot RFK..... Siran Siran. I wonder if the talking benches are in English, Spanish or "Gansta". There are also two new shcools being built on San Fernando Road by the 2 freeway. I wonder what the cost is for those........ and are there enough students to fill them...... Oh I forgot..... they come here every day from the South
tkd28803

Savannah, GA

#11 Jul 10, 2010
RFK is a way for the government and their cronies to fleece the taxpayer. Always has been. Anything government tries to sell the taxpayer as "for the kids" is always "for the unions" or "for political cronies" or "for the politicians." When will people realize what's going on? The only answer is to shrink government and take it all back locally. Throw the idiots out.
Follow the money

San Jose, CA

#12 Jul 10, 2010
Developers ----> campaign contributions ---> politicians ----> approve new school construction ----> $$ contracts to developers ----> repeat over and over.

“America & LEGAL Americans 1st”

Since: Aug 08

Chatsworth

#13 Jul 10, 2010
Jabba the Garcia and the rest of the Bored of Edumacation are some of the stupidest people in the world.

IF you need to build a new school it should be a cookie cutter design so every school looks the same and has the same function.
Herb

Sylmar, CA

#14 Jul 10, 2010
The subtext of District actions for the last thirty-odd years is the expiation of white guilt. Notice that the newest schools are in the most impoverished, heavily minority, overcrowded areas of the city and these schools are palatial. Meanwhile, I teach in a school in the northeast Valley which was built in 1952 and has no underground garage, pool, talking benches, roller coaster on the roof, or swoopy glass postmodern architecture. Instead, it is a series of square brick and stucco buildings spread barrack style over a huge block. It is constantly under construction to add cabling and piping for computers and air conditioning which of course weren't thought of in 1952. As usual is the uhnsayable: population. When we import a prolific population, we should expect to be building schools. And wait until the fall of 2012, when the first children of Baby Boom Two will be entering first grade--the district will suddenly need a new round of school construction.
USA

Culver City, CA

#15 Jul 10, 2010
L.A. Government doing what they do best, waste.
High SchoolTeacher-LA USD

Thousand Oaks, CA

#16 Jul 10, 2010
As an LAUSD teacher I am outraged at this cost.As I see my class sizes getting bigger , teachers being laid off at my school, scrimping for supplies, using antiquated equipment thes people should be ashamed of themselves. Don't blame utla this time. This is a perfect example of the waste in the system. I teach at an award winning high school in lausd and we get nothing for our efforts. We have 3600 students. They can say what they want, but you cannot justify that kind of expenditure on schools unless they are private. I am totally digusted.

“bamboo forest and an iced tea”

Since: Jul 08

Location hidden

#17 Jul 10, 2010
It's look like "OZ's" in the picture but it's really more like an big rabbit hole that taxpayer fell in,
Valley Cynic

North Hollywood, CA

#18 Jul 10, 2010
It's amazing how LAUSD can't handle money! And with all the money spent on grand schools, they still have a phenomenal dropout rate. Ah, the price of a failed educational system.

All the tax payers who vote for these extraordinary bond measures must be LAUSD grads or dropouts. They either the biggest bunch of dummies or insane...voting to give the schools more money, and each time hoping for a different outcome...like it will be spent wisely.
Ted James

Redondo Beach, CA

#19 Jul 10, 2010
LAUSD continually spends significantly more on there schools and gets less in return then any other school District. Got to pay those high priced salary's in facilities somehow. Its OK if they run our of money they can always go back to the taxpayers and float another bond.
JPK

Whittier, CA

#20 Jul 10, 2010
When you vote for school bonds this is what you get. More waste, I'm shocked anyone is surprised. Lets look at the pictures five years after the school opens. It will look like a war zone, windows etched, gang names carved in seats and spray paint all over the walls.
clear

Big Bear City, CA

#21 Jul 10, 2010
LAUSD should go back to basics and stop experimenting on children who can not add, subtract, multiply. diovide, read and comprehend.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for T Tue Tinkerbellhwd 1
News Emmys bear the Colbert stamp: Genial, poignant,... Sep 19 done 1
2017 Emmy's Diversity? Sep 18 Kinder and Gentle... 1
News 'Not My President': Protesters Rail Against Don... (Nov '16) Sep 12 actorvet 362
Racism?? Sep 10 Jimmy Dandy 4
News Diversity highlighted at L.A. Asian Pacific Fil... (Apr '16) May '16 frofro 3
News Transit's Impact on Congestion (Jan '16) Jan '16 Ronald 1

Downtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Downtown Mortgages