Ramon Renteria: There's no other place like El Chuco

There are 20 comments on the El Paso Times story from Mar 5, 2011, titled Ramon Renteria: There's no other place like El Chuco. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

How do you define or describe El Paso? Historians from across Texas were in town the past few days possibly pondering that simple yet often-complicated question.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
reader

El Paso, TX

#130 Mar 7, 2011
For Your Information wrote:
<quoted text>
The word El Chuco was dormant for a very long time, it was hardly ever used or even spoken or heard of.
It originated during the 1920's zoot zoot era slang from the word Pachuco, pachuco was the lifestyle of young hispanic men and women sort of like a fashion type and style that also carried certain words invented and modified into a language for that particular culture.
No one would ever believe this if I told, but a few years back the El Paso Times use to have this cool forum, unlike todays Topix Forum you had to be an actual member to be able to post in it.
It was about 2004-2005 when this forum closed down and started over as a new forum which didn't last very long due to low participation and membership.
The El Paso Times outsourced that forum to Topix Forum and here is where we are today.
But going back to that old El Paso Times forum I was telling you about, I happen to once mention to the forum members that El Paso was called El Chuco and gave them a short brief explanation.
Since then the word has caught on like wild fire and people of the younger generation along with the old timers and those that still remember have decided to use the word El Chuco as a symbol token of the past origins.
It's not offensive or anything like that,
It would be something like the city of Detroit calling itself Motown, Chicago Chitown,Philidelphia Philly New York City, the Big Apple names like that.
But El Chuco seems to offend those people here mostly those that dont like the hispanic culture or are just typical stereotypes.
This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.
you're just as dumb as renteria rambling about stupid things that don't mean a thing.
reader

El Paso, TX

#131 Mar 7, 2011
For Your Information wrote:
<quoted text>
The word El Chuco was dormant for a very long time, it was hardly ever used or even spoken or heard of.
It originated during the 1920's zoot zoot era slang from the word Pachuco, pachuco was the lifestyle of young hispanic men and women sort of like a fashion type and style that also carried certain words invented and modified into a language for that particular culture.
No one would ever believe this if I told, but a few years back the El Paso Times use to have this cool forum, unlike todays Topix Forum you had to be an actual member to be able to post in it.
It was about 2004-2005 when this forum closed down and started over as a new forum which didn't last very long due to low participation and membership.
The El Paso Times outsourced that forum to Topix Forum and here is where we are today.
But going back to that old El Paso Times forum I was telling you about, I happen to once mention to the forum members that El Paso was called El Chuco and gave them a short brief explanation.
Since then the word has caught on like wild fire and people of the younger generation along with the old timers and those that still remember have decided to use the word El Chuco as a symbol token of the past origins.
It's not offensive or anything like that,
It would be something like the city of Detroit calling itself Motown, Chicago Chitown,Philidelphia Philly New York City, the Big Apple names like that.
But El Chuco seems to offend those people here mostly those that dont like the hispanic culture or are just typical stereotypes.
This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me God.
by the way check your grammar and rambling composition, it's just as ludicrous and full of mistakes.
BASHER PATROL

El Paso, TX

#132 Mar 7, 2011
Chuck Wallah wrote:
El Paso is like a post-apocalyptic city from a Mad Max movie. You can tell from traces of the past that it must have been a nice place about 30 or 40 years ago, but now it is decaying and polluted and overrun with mutants.
OK whitey, your upset because we dont have any inbreeding farms they never made it this far and they wouldn't have suceeded here any way so hitch up your trailer and keep headin South.
The only mutants here are the southern anglos with crookit yellow teeth whoms with look like old milk cows sent to to pasture.
BASHER PATROL

El Paso, TX

#133 Mar 7, 2011
reader wrote:
<quoted text> you're just as dumb as renteria rambling about stupid things that don't mean a thing.
They might not mean a thing to you anymore than your wife puts out when the mail is delivered and the plummer checks out her nasty clog smelling plumming.
As for you gabacho you dont mean anything as well because you see one gabacho you seen them all and for someone that pimps out his wife and daughters for foodstamps, you sorryass white trash.
BASHER PATROL

El Paso, TX

#134 Mar 7, 2011
reader wrote:
<quoted text> by the way check your grammar and rambling composition, it's just as ludicrous and full of mistakes.
By the way check your daughters because I heard them scream again do they go in heat this often or are they waiting for you to show up naked so you can inbreed with them and have more babt piglets.
As for your wife shes knocked up again but once again it's not yours your drama queen inbred.
Lumberjack

El Paso, TX

#135 Mar 7, 2011
Now that was really stupid bash.
BASHER PATROL

El Paso, TX

#136 Mar 8, 2011
Lumberjack wrote:
Now that was really stupid bash.
Your'e suppose to be out cutting wood, besides we dont have lumberjacks here unless your a lumberjackass mule.
Annoyed

Arlington, TX

#137 Mar 8, 2011
A lot of you need a lesson in their, there, they're, your and you're. It's simple and basic stuff!!! YOU'RE showing YOUR lack of education.
El Paso Has Ugly Insects

El Paso, TX

#138 Mar 8, 2011
BASHER PATROL wrote:
<quoted text>
OK whitey, your upset because we dont have any inbreeding farms they never made it this far and they wouldn't have suceeded here any way so hitch up your trailer and keep headin South.
The only mutants here are the southern anglos with crookit yellow teeth whoms with look like old milk cows sent to to pasture.
Enough you joto, why don't you go out and get a job already!!!!
BASHER PATROL

El Paso, TX

#139 Mar 8, 2011
El Paso Has Ugly Insects wrote:
<quoted text> Enough you joto, why don't you go out and get a job already!!!!
I have a job, I bash numbskulls like yours to the pavement, then I take a dump on you.
mardi gras

El Paso, TX

#140 Mar 8, 2011
BASHER PATROL wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a job, I bash numbskulls like yours to the pavement, then I take a dump on you.
Sure you do joto, nothing but wishful thinking.
BASHER PATROL

El Paso, TX

#141 Mar 8, 2011
mardi gras wrote:
<quoted text>Sure you do joto, nothing but wishful thinking.
mardi'assss seems you have this thing for jotos because jotos like you like to get it in the butt, and thats no wishful thinking just make sure you go get tested at the OP tonight with the rest of your joto familia jota.
El Paso Has Ugly Insects

El Paso, TX

#142 Mar 8, 2011
BASHER PATROL wrote:
<quoted text>
mardi'assss seems you have this thing for jotos because jotos like you like to get it in the butt, and thats no wishful thinking just make sure you go get tested at the OP tonight with the rest of your joto familia jota.
Sounds about as gay as you do you moron.
BASHER PATROL

El Paso, TX

#143 Mar 8, 2011
El Paso Has Ugly Insects wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds about as gay as you do you moron.
Joel Osteen said that you are a sinner, and Pastor Brown said that he could cure you so what are you waiting for you penisworshiper?
Martian Melvin

El Paso, TX

#144 Mar 10, 2011
Basher, Please do me a favor a stick your head up your butt, then fart. Thank you very kindly.
El Chuco

United States

#145 Mar 10, 2011
Real Texmexs don't call it "bologna' Ramon. It's Baloney, ese! Put some on the placa vato and I'll bring the cervezas!
Your Cousin

El Paso, TX

#146 Mar 11, 2011
Oh Ramon, You left your green card at Tia Tenchas house. Please pick it up, as we don't want you to get caught by la migra.
Cuz

El Paso, TX

#147 Mar 12, 2011
Your Cousin wrote:
Oh Ramon, You left your green card at Tia Tenchas house. Please pick it up, as we don't want you to get caught by la migra.
Hey better yet why dones't your mom just drop it off tonight before she blows him. With gas prices as high as they are you'll save him a few dollars.
John

Austin, TX

#148 Mar 15, 2011
EP Has Ugly Insects wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh My Goodness, now I have here my reading theacher "TONTECA" from San Antonio and she cannot not el spell menzoass!!!!, wheres the capital I menzaAss?(you should say i said) seems you are to perfect to keep forgetting you menza menzoAss.
Huh?
Gabe

El Paso, TX

#149 May 2, 2011
one wrote:
ramon you and your only supporter from germany seem to be the only ones that are misguided! i would be offended if people thought i was sweaty, fat, ugly, dirty, and certainly illiterate like you. veterans overdosed with patriotism? if you don't like it go back to your beloved mexico! also, any el pasoan with a college degree certainly will not articulate in the same manner where you constantly degenderize our vocabulary. to put it in perspective your column is like stink on s-it!
You missed the point. The author was referencing various "polls" and such at some national magazines that list El Paso-- at various times, as the sweatiest city, or the fattest city, or with the highest percentage of illiteracy, etc. The author was not saying that El Pasoans were that, he was making an allusion that you obviously missed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Seniors Lack Affordable Housing Options (Apr '14) Apr 29 Cali Nightmares 24
Why does Hollywood kiss black criminals azz? Apr 28 Fools 1
News Justin Bieber`s life turned into a comic book (Jul '10) Apr 28 steinmarkst 5
News George Takei And Company To Hollywood Gatekeepe... Apr 22 Oh No You Di-nt 1
Aniston Is Not Hollywood's Sexiest Woman...This... (Dec '11) Apr 21 mona lisa 2
News Architect of Vegas icons Bellagio and Fremont S... Feb '15 calebhart54 1
News Giant Rubber Duck Forced to Deflate (Aug '14) Aug '14 wichita-rick 1
More from around the web

Downtown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]