Students look to 2012 after immigrati...

Students look to 2012 after immigration bill fails

There are 43 comments on the El Paso Times story from Dec 19, 2010, titled Students look to 2012 after immigration bill fails. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

Emboldened by months of phone calls to lawmakers, hunger strikes and sit-ins, a group of college students and graduates in Los Angeles say they plan to take their fight for immigrant rights to the states and the 2012 election after Senate Republicans blocked a key piece of legislation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
victor

Concord, CA

#1 Dec 19, 2010
It is about time immigrants don't get something for free. I am from hispanic descent and I am born from American latinos and I didn't get a freebie for collge they shouldn't either. If they want to go to school they should have to pay and do everything legally like the rest of us americans and pay back finacial aid. I did and I am latino why not them I also pay taxes I don't get all that special treatment. I believe they should work and pay taxes like the rest of us.
Chuy

El Paso, TX

#2 Dec 19, 2010
My mother left the corruption and poverty of Mexico and came to the US - LEGALLY - and then made a better life for herself and ultimately her children. She taught herself English by watching American soap operas and reading the English newspapers. She became an American citizen and worked hard. She taught us the values of being an American citizen, working hard and living our lives by the laws of this country. If you came here illegally - you committed a crime - even if you did not know it - you should NEVER be rewarded for that. Go back to your country and then apply to come here LEGALLY. We don't need freeloaders and lawbreakers and we don't want you.
Seriously

United States

#3 Dec 19, 2010
OK, why is that woman not being arrested and send back to her country? She is being allowed to break the law and yet she still has the nerve to form movements to challenge our U.S. laws. What is going on?
Government Cheese

El Paso, TX

#4 Dec 19, 2010
Most of these people would be just as happy if they were entitled to government welfare programs- even without the citizenship. They don't care about citizenship. Few of them have any pride for this country... They're just looking for handouts.

If we offered them citizenship but excluded them from government welfare programs- they would throw it back in our faces.

This isn't about citizenship, it about government freebies.
CPS

El Paso, TX

#5 Dec 19, 2010
El Paso and this sanctuary city crap is devouring most of the government assistance programs. A week or two ago a city office made a boast that they had collected some 30,000.00 dollars from persons with car plates from different states or countries. It was embarrassing to even read this article.
El Paso admitted we will have a short fall but have not factored in the potential of Austin not helping us through the next two years. Food Stamps, Medicare, child Support, General Assistance, Employment Office are over flowing with persons asking for help. A good portion of that help is being given to undocumented aliens. I will not classify any further than what I have as all aliens are not from Mexico. Now a good portion of aliens localized here in El Paso are from Mexico.
I just spent a day speaking with a person working at a location willing to get a divorce from a fraudulent marriage for citizenship for a fee of 3000.00 dollars.
The time has come for this to end. NO MORE SANCUARY CITY. The concept is outdated and killing El Paso like a cancer in stage four.
uscitizen

Acworth, GA

#6 Dec 19, 2010
Now we need to work on the anchor baby situation. This country is not for just anyone who want ot walk across the border and call it their own to do with what ever they please. I applaud those who came here and became a cizizen the hard way. Most of us who were born here didn't get things just give to us like some of the illegals have. We have worked hard for what we have and it is a shame that they came here and expected us to just move over and give them everything we have worked hard for. We won't be that easy to move.
Joe

Orlando, FL

#7 Dec 19, 2010
CPS wrote:
El Paso and this sanctuary city crap is devouring most of the government assistance programs. A week or two ago a city office made a boast that they had collected some 30,000.00 dollars from persons with car plates from different states or countries. It was embarrassing to even read this article.
El Paso admitted we will have a short fall but have not factored in the potential of Austin not helping us through the next two years. Food Stamps, Medicare, child Support, General Assistance, Employment Office are over flowing with persons asking for help. A good portion of that help is being given to undocumented aliens. I will not classify any further than what I have as all aliens are not from Mexico. Now a good portion of aliens localized here in El Paso are from Mexico.
I just spent a day speaking with a person working at a location willing to get a divorce from a fraudulent marriage for citizenship for a fee of 3000.00 dollars.
The time has come for this to end. NO MORE SANCUARY CITY. The concept is outdated and killing El Paso like a cancer in stage four.
But, I thought EL Paso was in Mehico? Just kidding, but seriously we should just give EL Paso to Mehico.
If we can't secure the border at the border because of the terrain we should just build the fence 10 or 20 miles further or where ever the terrain will allow it. They climb over it anyway. We need to set up mine fields, they go in and blammo! Once a few if them get killed that will end their attempts to come in.
Caveman

El Paso, TX

#8 Dec 19, 2010
"This is a movement," said Nancy Meza, a 23-year-old illegal immigrant and college graduate who wore a University of California, Los Angeles sweatshirt as she watched the televised vote. "We don't have lobbyists and paid staff. It's a movement by students."
Please deport her...now
Joe

Orlando, FL

#9 Dec 19, 2010
Government Cheese wrote:
Most of these people would be just as happy if they were entitled to government welfare programs- even without the citizenship. They don't care about citizenship. Few of them have any pride for this country... They're just looking for handouts.
If we offered them citizenship but excluded them from government welfare programs- they would throw it back in our faces.
This isn't about citizenship, it about government freebies.
I agree but they aren't stupid. They know they can vote in politicians that will hand the country over to them lock stock and barrel if enough of them can get in here. They already dominate California. As far as I'm concerned California is a territory of Mexico already.
Common sense

El Paso, TX

#10 Dec 19, 2010
what are these illegal immigrants protesting? They should be arrested on sight... after all, they are BREAKING the law since they're in this country illegally. Freedom to gather and protest is only for those in this country lawfully anyway so arresting them will cause no problem. IF YOU DONT WANT TO GET DEPORTED THEN GO DO THINGS THE RIGHT WAY... FILL OUT THE PAPERWORK.
LOL

Bradenton, FL

#11 Dec 19, 2010
WHAAAAAAAAAAAA?????

calling off the hunger strikes until 2012.......

damn, they just don't do anything right.....

looking for the easy way around everything.....
Lori

El Paso, TX

#12 Dec 19, 2010
Senate Republican!!! Really? What you should be asking yourself is why the Senate who by the way has a Democratic majority sat on the Dream Act for two years and are now playing politics during the lame duck session. How insulting is that? Get your facts straight.
rob

United States

#13 Dec 19, 2010
What stupidity we can't help the people here in the united states, but illegal aliens want rights, and stupid politicians who would do anything for a vote will support them.

Free school, free hospitalization, free food, etc. of course we should welcome them who wouldn't want an opportunity to bankrupt the country.

Of course their are mexicans that are doing things legally, but people shouldn't be rewarded for doing things illegally.
BadBehaviour

United States

#14 Dec 19, 2010
rob wrote:
What stupidity we can't help the people here in the united states, but illegal aliens want rights, and stupid politicians who would do anything for a vote will support them.
Free school, free hospitalization, free food, etc. of course we should welcome them who wouldn't want an opportunity to bankrupt the country.
Of course their are mexicans that are doing things legally, but people shouldn't be rewarded for doing things illegally.
Look at Hollywood where horrible and amoral things are awarded.
whatever

Austin, TX

#15 Dec 19, 2010
how did these kids pay for school?? why dont these kids apply for citizenship???I know why because they want the easy way out..
David

Dallas, TX

#16 Dec 19, 2010
Lots of misconceptions here.
The Dream Act does not give undocumented free education. But rather gives them a path to citizenship for being good students like actually finishing college or military service. There are still lots of hoops to jump ( such as no criminal record and acquired degrees ) which most immigrants in our history did not have to do.
I would rather have a college educated person be legalized so he/she can get a well paying job to contribute a larger amount back to society. Right now we have college educated young adults who are undocumented that can only work in minimal wage jogs because of their status.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

#17 Dec 19, 2010
HELL YEA BABY!!!!!

NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT BABY!!!!

YOU ILLEGALS ARE GOING DOWN!!!!

YOU AIN'T GONNA TAKE MY AMERICA!!!

NEVER!!!!
What

United States

#18 Dec 19, 2010
This from a guy that lives in Cuba, I mean Florida.
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
But, I thought EL Paso was in Mehico? Just kidding, but seriously we should just give EL Paso to Mehico.
If we can't secure the border at the border because of the terrain we should just build the fence 10 or 20 miles further or where ever the terrain will allow it. They climb over it anyway. We need to set up mine fields, they go in and blammo! Once a few if them get killed that will end their attempts to come in.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

#19 Dec 19, 2010
David wrote:
Lots of misconceptions here.
The Dream Act does not give undocumented free education. But rather gives them a path to citizenship for being good students like actually finishing college or military service. There are still lots of hoops to jump ( such as no criminal record and acquired degrees ) which most immigrants in our history did not have to do.
I would rather have a college educated person be legalized so he/she can get a well paying job to contribute a larger amount back to society. Right now we have college educated young adults who are undocumented that can only work in minimal wage jogs because of their status.
Hey David, let me ask you a question......how do illegals pay for there medical bill when they go to the hospital to have a baby in Texas?

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/d...

Don't get mad, just asking a question.
Obama bin Biden

El Paso, TX

#20 Dec 19, 2010
Chuy wrote:
My mother left the corruption and poverty of Mexico and came to the US - LEGALLY - and then made a better life for herself and ultimately her children. She taught herself English by watching American soap operas and reading the English newspapers. She became an American citizen and worked hard. She taught us the values of being an American citizen, working hard and living our lives by the laws of this country. If you came here illegally - you committed a crime - even if you did not know it - you should NEVER be rewarded for that. Go back to your country and then apply to come here LEGALLY. We don't need freeloaders and lawbreakers and we don't want you.
Chuy, we need MORE Americans like you.
Cheers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Downtown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
shame on the rock dwayne johnson and his pedoph... May 21 WATCHING LIVONIA 1
Models attending Film festivities; Y??? May 17 Fake bigtime 1
It is about racism May 14 Happy 1
Test May 10 Tested 1
The 'Satanic' Clown Winz Using "Real Talk" May 9 _FLATLINE-------- 1
Real talk - Starring Satan (Dec '13) May 9 texas pete 766
News Diversity highlighted at L.A. Asian Pacific Fil... (Apr '16) May '16 frofro 3

Downtown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Downtown Mortgages