Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
186,241 - 186,260 of 200,602 Comments Last updated 14 hrs ago

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
Games?
Like making up terms and asking the other party to 'prove' their non-existent claims are not real???
Ohhh brother.
LOL!!!!
One of Kim's favorite games is to create facts when reality stands in his way. It's where his contrived one-liners come from. They're like canned laughter on an old sitcom.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>they turned over the votes that were unconstitutional, as is their job.
no, that definition was already there, they just stopped all those californians from breaking their own constitution...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Propo... (2000)

Prior to 1977, marriage was defined in Section 4100 of the California Civil Code. This stated that marriage is "a personal relation arising out of a civil contract, to which consent of the parties making that contract is necessary".[6] While related sections of the law made references to sex, a State Assembly committee that was debating adding sex-specific terms to this section in 1977 noted: "Under existing law it is not clear whether partners of the same sex can get married".[7] That year, the legislature amended the legal definition of marriage to remove any ambiguity. In 1992 the legal definition of marriage was moved from the Civil Code to Section 300 of the Family Code.
When Proposition 22 came before voters, marriage was defined in the Family Code as "a personal relation arising out of a civil contract between a man and a woman, to which the consent of the parties capable of making that contract is necessary" [italics added].[8]
Even though the definition governing who may marry explicitly precluded contracting a same-sex marriage in California, a separate provision, Section 308, governed recognition of marriages contracted elsewhere. This stated that a "marriage contracted outside this state that would be valid by the laws of the jurisdiction in which the marriage was contracted is valid in this state".[9] Advocates of Proposition 22 described Section 308 as a "loophole", apparently forcing California to recognize a same-sex marriage validly contracted in some other state.[10]
To address this, Proposition 22 did not reword the existing provisions of the Family Code, but added to them the declaration that "only marriage between a man and a woman is valid or recognized in California".[11] The official citation of Proposition 22, the "California Defense of Marriage Act", is almost the same as that of a federal law, the Defense of Marriage Act, which was enacted by Congress in 1996. This federal law had a similar purpose, and was intended to prevent any state from being obligated to recognize a same-sex marriage contracted in another state.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Pietro...
If millions of Californians voted to ban all gun sales in the state, would you agree that the Supreme Court should let their decision stand?
Of course not. There is a Constitutional Amendment that allows for gun ownership.
There is also a Constitutional Amendment that doesn't allow for parts of the Defense of Marriage Act.
Just because millions of people express an opinion at the polls does not mean that they can overturn the Constitution.
The only way to change the Constitution is by way of amendment. There is no amendment barring same-sex marriage.
The problem with that analogy is you chose a specific constitutional right. Marriage isn't me tinned in the constitutional at all. Californians went to the polls to maintain a definition of a legally recognized relationship which had existed since the birth of the State, even earlier than that. The voters did amend the state constitution, per established procedure. If the vote had gone the other way, would any SSM advocate object to the process?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
Natural families?
Families consist of gay and straight couples, including those with kids moron.
Unfortunately for you your efforts at inventing a new terminology based on your messed up system of thought doesn't exist.
Disagree???
Find just one reference to a "default family" you f-ing IDIOT.
Just one.
-Tick tock...the clock is running.
".....inventing new terminology"? Like "homosexual", "heterosexual" , "gay" to refer to "homosexual"? Not exactly terms that are centuries old.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

woodtick57 wrote:
<quoted text>oh wow1 totally biased report for a totally biased foundation...
so not even one social scientist to cite from? not even one?
Gee why not quote HRC, not any bias there......oh Madone! So it only "bias" when it eminates from sources you dislike, but not "bias" when you like the source? Got it, IMAPP bad, HRC good. Thanks Woody for the intellectual honesty.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Jbird666 wrote:
<quoted text>What wrong sugarnipples, Still confused about what sex you are?
No. You?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiight.
I call bullshit.
Next...
I call you bullsh!t.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
Err...
...same sexed couples are made up of individuals whom represent the whole and are fertile genius.
http://www.census.gov/hhes/fertility/
"same sexed". What a dope.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
DOH!
You missed on that dart throw idiot - I'm not gay but think what you want.
P.S.....gay couples can often adopt those children cast out by their own parents because their biological mommy and daddy units wanted to eradicate themselves of their offspring.
I swear....you could wear 2 sets of Depends, have a cork shoved no less than 3" up your ass and grease your butt, legs and feet with a mix of Crisco and Pam cooking spray and you'd still manage to shit on yourself with these DUMBASS comments you make.
ROFL!!!!!!!!
Wow! Great post. So intellectual. ROFL!!!!!!!!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>

-Tick tock...the clock is running.
Tick tock... you are a dope.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
A.) Never claimed kids were "better off" without their biological parents troll. Add to that "natural parents" is a term utilized by you and that other shitforbrain poster KiKrazy and not an accurate description of biological parents.
B.) I did advise kids whom are in abusive situations with the source being their biological parents would be better off elsewhere. Of course you might think momma giving her 3 month old baby daughter a disinfecting cleaning with 2 buckets of boiling water might be a good thing given you seem to be just that STUPID.
---If you're going to lie....at least TRY and be sly about it jizzhead...OK?
LOL!!!
A) You asked him for proof, so I asked you for proof.
B) You're a moron.
C) You're a lying jackass.
LOL!!!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Maggot Maggie is a hating c(_)nt, you just revealed your true colors bub...rot with Kimare.
Very tolerant and diverse.

Trying to argue that children are not one of the main reasons marriage was invented is stupid and counterproductive.

There is no need to do that. You have a right to equal protection regardless of if you have children or not.

You are stupid.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Stay with the game you started.
Can't?
You lose.
Idiot.
Problem with Don Sclio is he's so stupid he doesn't know he's stupid. So when he loses he doesn't know it, he thinks he's won.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
Well....if you're to say couples of gays are 'mutually sterile' you're stating that both members in a gay couple cannot have kids.
Riiight???
So what happens? When Tony hooks up with Bob do his testicles fall off?? Do Bob's sperm shrivel up and die about the same time Tony's nuts turn into SunMaid raisins?
How about when Susan and Ann get married. Does Ann's ovaries shoot out of her body like cannon balls? Do Susan's fallopian tubes tie themselves into an internal pretzel???
Listen IDIOT. Gays are just as fertile as the rest of the population. If Tony wants a biological kiddy to carry on the family name he better find a surrogate mother given Bob ain't gonna deliver but Tony is just as fertile. Ann can get pregnant through artificial insemination or other means.
BLOWS YOUR MIND doesn't it.
So your statement of gays are infertile because they ARE gays is about as bright as claiming the Sun God burned your TV dinner after you left your Swanson turkey and stuffing Hungry Man feast on high in the microwave for 3 hours and 2 minutes.
PULL YOUR HEAD OUTTA YOUR ASS sunshine. PLEASE.
Calm down fruitloop.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey sister....it's your words; 'mutually sterile'.
So now I'm a blonde lesbian.
Right on.
Wait around long enough and you'll claim I'm a bi-sexual llama wearing a pair of crotchless lace trimmed panties.
You forgot to LOL!!!!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you've gone and shocked me.
LOL
Me too. A llama in crotchless lace trimmed panties. What kind of sick mind...
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
One of Kim's favorite games is to create facts when reality stands in his way. It's where his contrived one-liners come from. They're like canned laughter on an old sitcom.
And Don Sclio's posts are like canned farts.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Don Sclio wrote:
<quoted text>
Your turn.
Go on and shock me by telling me you've been able to hold down job longer than a calendar month.
BAH HAH HAH!!!!
You don't even have a job. And as far as owning your own business, picking up cans along the highway is not much of a business.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee why not quote HRC, not any bias there......oh Madone! So it only "bias" when it eminates from sources you dislike, but not "bias" when you like the source? Got it, IMAPP bad, HRC good. Thanks Woody for the intellectual honesty.
Right. Doesn't fit his agenda, it's biased. Easy!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2013

Judged:

I see we have some heavily moronic firepower coming from the peanut gallery this evening! Don Sclio. Setting back gay rights years with each moronic post.

Poster boy for dopes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Brentwood News Video

•••
•••

Brentwood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••