Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,197

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#190189 Apr 26, 2013
Mike the Pike wrote:
Next thing you know, marriage will be between a man and his dog!
Some will say animals cannot give consent to marry, but we don't need their consent to kill and eat them, why should we need it to marry them?
Mike the Pike

Glenn, CA

#190190 Apr 26, 2013
Marriage is a biblically defined relationship which only identifies one man and one woman as the legitimate participants. Once this definition is cast aside by society, ultimatly there will be no bounds to what constitutes an eligible party to a marriage! Man and Man, Man and Woman, Man and Bird, Dog and Cat, Man and Dog, etc.

The logic is flawless!

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#190191 Apr 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>

Don't throw gays under the bus just because you straight people can't seem to stay married.
"Same-Sex Couple Fights for Right to Divorce in Maryland" http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Same-...

"Texas, USA: Dallas Gay Couple Still Seeking Divorce After Four Years"
http://purpleunions.com/blog/2013/01/texas-us...

"Rhode Island Judge Faces Legal Quandary as Gay Couple Seeks Divorce"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231473,00...

There are more, but why bother. But one must enjoy the irony. Here we have a group of people screaming that they must be granted the acknowledgement of the government to unite them as one in marriage- because it is a RIGHT and to prevent such would be an infringement on their FREEDOM.

Note the term's- RIGHT and FREEDOM.

Now, since they were granted that "right" and "freedom" they must now fight the GOVERNMENT for their "RIGHT" and "FREEDOM" to dissolve that "MARRIAGE".

The irony being, they are neither "FREE" nor are they exercising a "RIGHT." They are exercising a government granted PRIVILEGE!

Without that silly little piece of paper, they would have been FREE and within their RIGHT to unite or dissolve said union or marriage at WILL!

That my friends is freedom, at least as our founders would have defined it.
Mike the Pike

Glenn, CA

#190192 Apr 26, 2013
Consent will not be a problem. I have yet to hear a dog say the word "NO"!

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#190193 Apr 26, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be centering your argument on the basis that they don't, and that is why same-sex marriage is a non-issue. Are you no longer interested in that line of reasoning?
<quoted text>
You hardly ever have a point, you simply post talking points over and over again. Most times they don't even relate to the post you are replying to.
<quoted text>
Marriage is a social construct created by homo-sapiens.
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter if I agree or not. The historical basis for marriage, as the government regulates it in this country, was to protect and ensure stability for the children that could potentially be created from such a union. This is the entire reason the court has accepted that there is a State interest in marriage. If this is no longer the case, than what interest does the State have?
The State interest has always been in regards to "potential." You would know this if you would actually educate yourself rather than running around thinking any of your opinions have any basis if fact.
What is completely illogical, is a group of people not only inviting, but demanding the government regulate them.
Hmmmmm....ya know Ak.....that last line speaks volumes. I've thought it was odd the way SSMers would ague for the "freedom to marry" by asking the state to regulate their intimate personal relationship. It seems to contradict the desires result.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#190194 Apr 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Because not all marriages are so fucked up (you can write the word out).
You can, some of us cannot. Some posters are more equal than others on Topix.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#190195 Apr 26, 2013
What kind of loser rates posts over and over again many times?
Jissthefacts

Covina, CA

#190198 Apr 26, 2013
Must have been a typo or something like that.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#190199 Apr 26, 2013
just the facts wrote:
<quoted text>You Jackass
Nope. That's more your schtick.

And why would I rate my posts bad and yours good you big dummy? Boy are you stupid. Too funny!

P.S. Get an argument and get back to us.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#190200 Apr 26, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be centering your argument on the basis that they don't, and that is why same-sex marriage is a non-issue. Are you no longer interested in that line of reasoning?
<quoted text>
You hardly ever have a point, you simply post talking points over and over again. Most times they don't even relate to the post you are replying to.
<quoted text>
Marriage is a social construct created by homo-sapiens.
<quoted text>
It doesn't matter if I agree or not. The historical basis for marriage, as the government regulates it in this country, was to protect and ensure stability for the children that could potentially be created from such a union. This is the entire reason the court has accepted that there is a State interest in marriage. If this is no longer the case, than what interest does the State have?
The State interest has always been in regards to "potential." You would know this if you would actually educate yourself rather than running around thinking any of your opinions have any basis if fact.
What is completely illogical, is a group of people not only inviting, but demanding the government regulate them.
You're of the opinion that you "know" quite a bit about this matter.

Tell me, why do you waste your time talking to us "idiots"?

If all of us are morons--ignorant and uneducated on the subjects of Constitutional law, marriage, etc., why do you bother coming here?

Shouldn't you be arguing in a courtroom? Shouldn't you offer your "valuable insight" to the real world?

I've pointed out your obvious flaw several times. You need to feel superior. You have anger issues.

What whips up such fury in someone like you?

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#190203 Apr 26, 2013
akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
"Same-Sex Couple Fights for Right to Divorce in Maryland" http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Same-...
"Texas, USA: Dallas Gay Couple Still Seeking Divorce After Four Years"
http://purpleunions.com/blog/2013/01/texas-us...
"Rhode Island Judge Faces Legal Quandary as Gay Couple Seeks Divorce"
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,231473,00...
There are more, but why bother. But one must enjoy the irony. Here we have a group of people screaming that they must be granted the acknowledgement of the government to unite them as one in marriage- because it is a RIGHT and to prevent such would be an infringement on their FREEDOM.
Note the term's- RIGHT and FREEDOM.
Now, since they were granted that "right" and "freedom" they must now fight the GOVERNMENT for their "RIGHT" and "FREEDOM" to dissolve that "MARRIAGE".
The irony being, they are neither "FREE" nor are they exercising a "RIGHT." They are exercising a government granted PRIVILEGE!
Without that silly little piece of paper, they would have been FREE and within their RIGHT to unite or dissolve said union or marriage at WILL!
That my friends is freedom, at least as our founders would have defined it.
Then throw all marriage out the window. Everyone is free to pair up, raise children, and then move on with their lives if they so choose.

We'll let churches own the word "marriage". Only those couples who are afraid of being damned to eternal hell would seek matrimony.

Let's just take government completely out of the business of marriage. No one gets rights or protections. Everyone--gay, straight, whatever--can fend for themselves.

Such a GREAT idea! Why didn't the founders think of that?
San Bernardino

Covina, CA

#190204 Apr 26, 2013
Athens services trash haulers strike again!

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/ci_23118173/a...
San Bernardino

Covina, CA

#190205 Apr 26, 2013
Still cheating the public, Athens?

Location hidden

#190206 Apr 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
You're of the opinion that you "know" quite a bit about this matter.
It's not "opinion", it's proven every time you are unable to provide a rational fact based retort.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me, why do you waste your time talking to us "idiots"?
Obama said to spread the wealth, so here I am.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
If all of us are morons--ignorant and uneducated on the subjects of Constitutional law, marriage, etc., why do you bother coming here?
You have self admitted that you are ignorant of the founding documents. So I figure you have two choices: 1) Remain so and keep looking like one -or- 2) Go educate yourself.

You seem to have chosen the latter.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Shouldn't you be arguing in a courtroom?
Perhaps I do, do you know?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Shouldn't you offer your "valuable insight" to the real world?
Are you fake?
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I've pointed out your obvious flaw several times. You need to feel superior. You have anger issues.
Now you are just fabricating things in a sad attempt to save face.

You have been unable to point out a single flaw in my argument, and I am far from angry. For me to get angry with you, you would actually have to have the ability to effect my life. You don't, though your delusions of grandeur are comical.
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
What whips up such fury in someone like you?
Where is the fury? The only anger I see is coming from you, you seem a bit upset about consistently having your ass handed to you.

Take note of your response here, you haven't even attempted to respond to a single question I posed to you, my guess is you lack the ability to. You have only presented two forms of replies to me: 1) A personal attack such as the one you presented here -or- 2) A rant of random talking points that have nothing to do with the subject matter.

Really it is pretty sad for someone who claims to hold a MSW. I would consider requesting a refund of my tuition if I were you.

Location hidden

#190207 Apr 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Then throw all marriage out the window. Everyone is free to pair up, raise children, and then move on with their lives if they so choose.
We'll let churches own the word "marriage". Only those couples who are afraid of being damned to eternal hell would seek matrimony.
Let's just take government completely out of the business of marriage. No one gets rights or protections. Everyone--gay, straight, whatever--can fend for themselves.
You are a bit late to the party, I have presented this position to you at least 5 times now. Perhaps if you would slow down and actually absorb the material I post it might not take you so long to catch on?
Rebounds

Covina, CA

#190208 Apr 26, 2013
Shut up you North Korean supporter.

Location hidden

#190209 Apr 26, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>

Go find me a State issued Marriage License for George and Martha Washington.
Gays have rights too

Sacramento, CA

#190210 Apr 26, 2013
Gay marriage receiving more support every day.

http://politix.topix.com/homepage/3259-would-...
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190211 Apr 27, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
It is funny you say that, years ago that was my position, remove the word marriage from legal language, the government would not recognize any marriages, only civil unions.

Civil unions are a contract, between anyone that wanted one, couples, gay or straight, or a number of people, regardless of whether it was romantic or even nonromantic relationships.

Give churches the word marriage but make it legally meaningless.

That way Churches could have the word if they wanted it, straight churches could call their couples married, gay supporting churches could call their couples marriages, Poly churches could marry as many as they wanted and all would be equally in the eyes of the law as the underlying legal basis for any of them would be a civil union.

Not even my gay friends liked the idea

I gave it up, there was no support for it
Big D

Modesto, CA

#190212 Apr 27, 2013
Gays have rights too wrote:
Gay marriage receiving more support every day.
http://politix.topix.com/homepage/3259-would-...
That is very very true, and not just here, but all around the world.

Love conquers hate, it just takes a while

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama helps raise campaign cash for Democrats a... Oct 18 the Light 8
In Santa Monica, Obama chastises GOP on immigra... Oct 13 barefoot2626 38
Archer School for Girls Expansion Plans Oct 11 Atticus 1
Actress Gwyneth Paltrow hosted a slew of celebr... Oct 10 ThenObamaLandGrab... 1
Gwyneth Paltrow hosts star-studded fundraiser... Oct 10 ProtestAgainstOba... 2
Obama raising money in California for Democrats Oct 10 ObamaProtestSetFo... 1
Gwyneth Paltrow gushes over Barack Obama: 'You'... Oct 10 ThenObamaLandGrabsLA 1

Brentwood News Video

Los Angeles Dating
Find my Match

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brentwood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brentwood

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]