Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 20 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

DorN

La Puente, CA

#178523 Feb 6, 2013
DorN wrote:
<quoted text>
----------
Castration also cuts down on the hostility of a man.
That is if rapist in prison are castrated.
If same sex marriage in prison is legal, then some sexual frustration will be alleviated..

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#178524 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>While I don't believe there's anything wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality, I agree with the view of same sex marriage. It's not constitutional, it was imposed on the US by a court so it's also undemocratic. Many gay and lesbian activists are on our side and prefer referendum and legislation to the left's imperialistic secularism.
Morality makes a great personal value, but we need to discuss these issues in public. I oppose shutting down civil discourse.
This little tidbit caught my attention, "It's not constitutional". I fail to see how Marriage Equality is unconstitutional. Can you explain that? The only thing I see in your post that could be remotely related to that statement is when you say, "it was imposed on the US by a court". Now that may be true in some cases, but it was also voted into being by legislatures, and by the people (witness recent elections). All three vehicles mentioned are ENTIRELY Constitutional, as far as I know. Can you point out how any of them are unconstitutional? I really look forward to your answer. Thanks.
DorN

La Puente, CA

#178525 Feb 6, 2013
The benefit to society of allowing gays to legally marry the person of their choice is that gay people will not have to marry straight people in order to receive the benefits of marriage.
As it is now many gay people do stay in the closet and marry straight people.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#178526 Feb 6, 2013
DorN wrote:
The benefit to society of allowing gays to legally marry the person of their choice is that gay people will not have to marry straight people in order to receive the benefits of marriage.
As it is now many gay people do stay in the closet and marry straight people.
Or as Robeert Kline puts it... so they have the right to be miserable too.

“Reality bites”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#178527 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>While I don't believe there's anything wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality, I agree with the view of same sex marriage. It's not constitutional, it was imposed on the US by a court so it's also undemocratic. Many gay and lesbian activists are on our side and prefer referendum and legislation to the left's imperialistic secularism.
Morality makes a great personal value, but we need to discuss these issues in public. I oppose shutting down civil discourse.
Dear Brian, for some reason I feel you are full O crap. I remember you as well as Chief posting page after page on a thread that asked if Homosexuality was a sin. If I remember you thought it was and sick. Yet now its AOK.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#178528 Feb 6, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
<quoted text>Dear Brian, for some reason I feel you are full O crap. I remember you as well as Chief posting page after page on a thread that asked if Homosexuality was a sin. If I remember you thought it was and sick. Yet now its AOK.
Where's your hat?
Queedioo

Monrovia, CA

#178529 Feb 6, 2013
With the times moving so fast what's a person to do?

Has there been a vote taken?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#178530 Feb 6, 2013
Jazybird58 wrote:
Dear Brian, for some reason I feel you are full O crap. I remember you as well as Chief posting page after page on a thread that asked if Homosexuality was a sin. If I remember you thought it was and sick. Yet now its AOK.
The statement above is untrue; I've always written there is nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality. I've never discussed sin or written homosexuality is sick, those are Jazybird58'S words, not mine.

Many homosexuals believe in protecting male/female marriage too. Conservatism doesn't have a sexual orientation.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#178531 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The statement above is untrue; I've always written there is nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality. I've never discussed sin or written homosexuality is sick, those are Jazybird58'S words, not mine.
Many homosexuals believe in protecting male/female marriage too. Conservatism doesn't have a sexual orientation.
Even though I disagree with your position on same sex marriage I will back you up on that.

Your posts often state you have nothing against homosexuals, only same sex marriage.
Manne Quin

Monrovia, CA

#178532 Feb 6, 2013
Former California Highway Patrol lieutenant is looking at seriuos prison time for molested two underage relatives.

El Centro, California a jury on Feburary 05, 2013 Tuesday convicted 46-year-old John Swaim on four counts of lewd acts on a child under 14.

The female victims, who are related to Swaim, are now 17 and 20 years old.

Just activate the firing squad to save the California tax payers money.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#178533 Feb 6, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The statement above is untrue; I've always written there is nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality. I've never discussed sin or written homosexuality is sick, those are Jazybird58'S words, not mine.
Protecting? I donít understand, homosexual marriage does not attack heterosexual marriage in any way at all. There are over 18,0000 legal homosexual marriages in California now, It certainly did not hurt my marriage, how did it hurt yours?
SLO drugs

Monrovia, CA

#178534 Feb 6, 2013
A detective with the San Luis Obispo Police Department was arrested by the FBI.

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2013/02/05/23827...

Small time police departments hate it when they are found out and arrested for playing fast and lose.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#178539 Feb 6, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Protecting? I donít understand, homosexual marriage does not attack heterosexual marriage in any way at all. There are over 18,0000 legal homosexual marriages in California now, It certainly did not hurt my marriage, how did it hurt yours?
The argument is that once we make marriage mean everything, it will mean nothing.

It is a valid argument until you consider that who marries who is self limiting. There just won't be that many gay, poly or incestuous marriages to cause that problem.

Poly and incest marriages won't hurt your marriage either.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#178545 Feb 6, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
The argument is that once we make marriage mean everything, it will mean nothing.
It is a valid argument until you consider that who marries who is self limiting. There just won't be that many gay, poly or incestuous marriages to cause that problem.
Poly and incest marriages won't hurt your marriage either.
The argument is moot, Homosexuals already can marry, in many states, hundreds of thousands are legally married now

I donít care about poly marriage that is Frankies obsession not mine. Poly marriage is not about to be made legal in the next couple of decades, religious fanatics following that path have made certain of that.

but for same sex marriage, it is already a reality, and it has not hurt heterosexual marriages one tiny little bit.

It is a moot argument
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#178546 Feb 6, 2013
Largelanguage wrote:
<quoted text>
Such steorotypes from of a country you've never been to.
I was there just last year, you didn't see me? It's such a tiny little country you should have seen me. Maybe you just don't remember.

Even if I was never there, I've seen enough of you guys fly out of there to know you're a very gay country! What with that sissy accent too!
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#178547 Feb 6, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
The argument is moot, Homosexuals already can marry, in many states, hundreds of thousands are legally married now
I donít care about poly marriage that is Frankies obsession not mine. Poly marriage is not about to be made legal in the next couple of decades, religious fanatics following that path have made certain of that.
but for same sex marriage, it is already a reality, and it has not hurt heterosexual marriages one tiny little bit.
It is a moot argument
What did I just say jackass? What a dope!

You consider poly my "obsession", and "off topic", and not reality only because you fear discussing it.

What do you have against three atheist men marrying? How will it hurt you or your marriage?

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#178551 Feb 6, 2013
Kimare, you have yet to back up a previous statement, so I'll ask again:

In which culture/s was SSM legally recognized previously? Still waiting for your answer.

Just pull down your drawers and talk to the mangina. Don't keep you internal lesbian waiting.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#178556 Feb 6, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
What did I just say jackass? What a dope!
You consider poly my "obsession", and "off topic", and not reality only because you fear discussing it.
What do you have against three atheist men marrying? How will it hurt you or your marriage?
Learn to read, poly is your obsession not mine, I could give a flip about it, and nothing is about to change with regard to law for the next couple of decades

I donít have anything against you, but am informing you that nothing is going to come of it in the foreseeable future, religious fanatics have already made certain of that.

Not true with same sex marriage, that is a reality today, more and more states and nations are recognizing same sex marriage, and it has not hurt anyoneís heterosexual marriage at all. That argument has already been made in court, no harm was shown to heterosexual marriage whatsoever.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

#178558 Feb 6, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Learn to read, poly is your obsession not mine, I could give a flip about it, and nothing is about to change with regard to law for the next couple of decades
Did I say poly was your obsession dummy? Learn to read.

So what if you don't give a flip about poly? Most people don't give a flip about SSM. What do I care what you give a flip about? So what if it might not be decades? Are these your real reasons to deny equal rights?

By what logic do you insist on the traditional, arbitrary, religious and discriminatory number of two?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#178559 Feb 6, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I say poly was your obsession dummy? Learn to read.
So what if you don't give a flip about poly? Most people don't give a flip about SSM. What do I care what you give a flip about? So what if it might not be decades? Are these your real reasons to deny equal rights?
By what logic do you insist on the traditional, arbitrary, religious and discriminatory number of two?
As I said, you obsession, I am not interested, and nothing whatsoever is going to come of it, as there are groups of people that have put a stain on that concept that will linger for some time.

You should be ranting at them, not me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Despite bans, Selfie Stick alive and well Apr 7 Alice Pattinson 1
News People confirms Bruce Jenner 'transitioning int... Apr '15 concerned American 36
News Carlton Gebbia implies Kyle Richards doesn't se... (Mar '14) Mar '15 Frank Lee 3
News Gwyneth Paltrow hosts star-studded fundraiser... (Oct '14) Nov '14 star writer 3
News Obama helps raise campaign cash for Democrats a... (Oct '14) Oct '14 the Light 8
News Actress Gwyneth Paltrow hosted a slew of celebr... (Oct '14) Oct '14 ThenObamaLandGrab... 1
News Obama raising money in California for Democrats (Oct '14) Oct '14 ObamaProtestSetFo... 1
More from around the web

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]