Residents notified of plans to raze homes for 405 project

Full story: LA Daily News 22
Homeowners along the San Diego Freeway are bracing for the possibility that their homes could be bulldozed as Caltrans has begun quietly alerting residents of plans to move forward with a $950 million widening ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mark in Havasu

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Feb 26, 2008
Glad I own a home in Arizona.........
James

Los Angeles, CA

#2 Feb 26, 2008
After all these years, the 405, despite normal everyday traffic problems, needs to be expanded, which means in some cases lifelong residents will have thier properties "siezed" by the government,

Why is this necessary?

Beacuse there are more people here than there should be,

And more on the way,

And what's tht supposed to mean you ask?

Ask Antonio Villarigosa, or better yet, perhaps Felipe Calderon will have the "answer" to your question.

As the ole saying goes, be careful what you ask for...because you might get it.
Commuter Ken

Deerfield, IL

#3 Feb 26, 2008
Wow. A whole minute saved for each mile. That's definately worth taking someone's house or business so some moron can get home a few minutes quicker.
News Junky

Glendale, CA

#4 Feb 26, 2008
How about FINALLY completing the connection of the 710 to the 210??? What's it been, only 40 years?
fedupinla

Los Angeles, CA

#5 Feb 26, 2008
This is so sad! ALL of our problems are directly caused by illegal aliens and the Mexicans who took over our city!

All of this to save ONE MINUTE! And to add insult to injury, there will eventually be a toll fee for driving in the new lane!

Shame on Villaraigosa & Co! Voter apathy brought us this terrible regime!
JakeDolfan

Irvine, KY

#6 Feb 26, 2008
In The Land of the Freeway residents of South Pasadena have been fighting for years about their homes, which stand in the way of a completed 710 Freeway. Now as people push out to Santa Clarita, Simi Valley and points further north and west, one thing hasn't changed - they still work on the Westside and must use the 405 Freeway to get back and forth to work.
So what happens? The little homeowner in Sherman Oaks gets penalized for "progress."
But another lane for traffic isn't progress.
Sadly, Los Angeles is doomed to endless traffic jams because public transit solutions have been lackluster, construction-plagued, budget-plagued and flaw-filled - tied in some ways to reaching underserved communities (i.e.- low-income and middle-income neighborhoods populated by Latinos and African-Americans) while doing nothing to get the gas-guzzling long commuters out of their Land Rovers and onto light rail, express buses running on Ethanol or anything that can ease congestion in L.A. County in a realistic manner.
Perhaps razing the home of a powerful official or Hollywood celebrity will help drive Southern Californians out of their surf-induced slumber and see the reality for what it is - apathy and self-indulgence has resulted in a cluster of communities ready to collapse from the weight of Cayennes and Hummers.
MikeV

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Feb 26, 2008
City, county and state government just dosnt't get it and never will.... building more freeways and/or making the ones we have bigger IS NOT THE ANSWER!!!!... Enough allready!!!!.... put the money where it belongs ... in light rail and subway construction.
Red commie

San Marino, CA

#9 Feb 26, 2008
Build a choo choo train for weenie communists and other liberals to ride

--GOD BLESS AMERICA
carlivar

Burbank, CA

#10 Feb 26, 2008
Good! We need to knock down more houses for more freeways. I cannot fathom why the whining of a handful of homeowners should stop something for the public good like this.
Hello

Sun City, CA

#11 Feb 26, 2008
Good I wish they would hurry up and bulldoze those houses already!!!
nick

AOL

#12 Feb 26, 2008
it's sad for folks to lose their home but it must be done...with the decline in real estate prices now and more to come the price they will be getting will probably be much higher than what the market would bear as really who in their right mind would buy a ''freeway flyer'' for anywhere close to market value in this declining market...then the folks who get cashed put by the city can go buy something else and will actually wind up way ahead in this deal..and the commuters will have another lane open..I say tear them all down and build more lanes...
Daniel

El Segundo, CA

#13 Feb 26, 2008
For the millions in LA area that who dirve in freeway gridlock almost every day, it is about time Caltrans moves forward on this 405 freeway improvement!
agrnfrg

Irvine, CA

#14 Feb 26, 2008
Bummer! CALTRANs should buy enough land to anticipate building 2 or 3 more lanes plus a twin track rapid transit metro corridor. Probably will need the lanes and tracks in 5 or 10 years.

People shouldn't buy property within 1/4 of a freeway, the expectation is that ultimately the road will be widened.
KLL

AOL

#15 Feb 26, 2008
Daniel wrote:
For the millions in LA area that who dirve in freeway gridlock almost every day, it is about time Caltrans moves forward on this 405 freeway improvement!
Funny thing is by the time Caltrans starts and finishes the project in 6 years traffic will still be the same because there will be more traffic and the ratio will not have changed.

Putting a carpool lane in and adding another lane will not change a damm thing, It is like puuting a band-aid on someone who just got there arm cut off.

Won't change a damm thing, So go ahead California and waste the taxpayers money on empty solutions.
lewis wong

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Feb 26, 2008
I think there is a solution for the I-405.

That is to build a town in north valley and give all sorts of incentives for those willing to move there, such as investment tax credit, guaranteed mortgage loans, free shuttles, free day care, free this and that, just so that the cost of living there is only half compared to not moving there. It is too cold? or, too hot? Naah. Insulated double panel windows, fur lined jackets for winters and air conditioning for winter should be OK. After all it is still California, not Alaska nor Florida.
Mark

Pleasanton, CA

#17 Feb 26, 2008
I'm sick and TIRED of a few spoiled rotten apples preventing relief to the remaining 4 MILLION people who commute on the 405 each year! They should be GLAD that they will be bought out and then they can movea AWAY from the freeway and actually breath cleaner air!
I lived at the end of Zelzah Avenue in Encino for 12 years and they never built a sound wall. I got so sick of the pollution, helicopter noise and crap that I moved away from any freeway and it was the BEST decision of my life!
To those few homeowners, GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!!!!
Dorothy from Oz

Pleasanton, CA

#19 Feb 26, 2008
Commuter Ken wrote:
Wow. A whole minute saved for each mile. That's definately worth taking someone's house or business so some moron can get home a few minutes quicker.
Hey Ken, hope the F5 Tornado levels your worthless town. You don't count, you live in Kansas so why don't you go tend to your own manure pile!
Pound Sand

Pleasanton, CA

#20 Feb 26, 2008
Mark in Havasu wrote:
Glad I own a home in Arizona.........
Oh yeah, great, live in a complete Desert called Arizona! I've been involved and seen your Phoenix and Scottsdale commutes. Not much different pal!! Except you nutjobs all carry guns and there is more road rage fights/gunshots anywhere except Texas!
Will be glad to see when we cut off your water and you disappear like the blowing tumbleweeds...
Kathryn

Burbank, CA

#21 Feb 26, 2008
If they're going to widen the freeway, then widen it. Add 2 or 3 lanes and provide for the future. One silly car pool lane won't do a bit of good. I agree that sometimes homes need to be razed for the good of the community, but LA needs to think ahead and realize that nothing is getting people out of their cars. Mass transit isn't an option, LA needs more freeways.
John Curti

San Diego, CA

#22 Feb 27, 2008
More traffic on the same old streets is what we are witnessing today. Not only in Sherman Oaks but all over where there is traffic. In many places we are useing the same streets we had sixty years ago without any improvements. The on and off ramps of the 101 freeway at Balboa, Whiteoak, Reseda, Tampa, Desoto and Topanga needs to be redesigned. Properties have to be purchased in order to make these much needed improvements in our infrastructure Drivers on the freeway must not go or pass the flow of traffic, passers cause tie-up. Turn on your radio, listen to good music helps you to relax and enjoy driving that big compfortable SUV.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brentwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 1 hr big meech 16,010
Sunset Blvd. Closed After Sinkhole Forms Near P... Mon hsktommox 1
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon El SupremoS 201,038
Kim Kardashian Facing Fur-ious Protest At Calab... (Apr '12) Mon Animal and humaine 6
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sep 28 No Time for Tea 5,084
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Sep 27 Bucketeers 7,965
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sep 21 theos 2,275

Fire Weather Watch for Los Angeles County was issued at September 30 at 12:52PM PDT

Brentwood News Video

Brentwood Jobs

Brentwood People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Brentwood News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Brentwood

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]