Post Las Conchas Fire Trail Updates
Posted in the Los Alamos Forum
Since: Apr 10
#1 Mar 1, 2012
Have attended a very insightful panel discussion about the affects of the Las Conchas Fire (NM's largest in history) it became very l=clear that the Jemez Mountian attract large fires in dry years, and that other than The Labs ..the affects of such a fire are normally very productive:
1) Valles Caldera Elk herd was untouched, although it was widely reported that "many" had perished ..the reality was that only a few had succumbed. Possibly too old to outrun the fire, which in it's first 18 hours ..burned over 40,000 acres off Route 4 ..in a wind driven frenzy.
2) Archeological sites- That by the nature of 'tuff'..that is the 2 foot sized volcanic boulders that burst in the extreem heat of the fire..that it causes another layer of protection and that by and large otherwise ..that forest fire tend to uncover more sites ..as opposed to damaging existing sites.
3) The Labs has learned from other fires..one that actually burned wooded doors where "the substance" is stored ..to bury and protect with high tech doors.
4) The trails in Los Alamos (hiking, X-Ski, Equine) sustained damage and the download for that report is on:
5) That, still being in drought conditions warrants extra vigilance and that the best way towards prevention is thru controlled burning:
The image below is of Santa Clara Canyon on fire, in a horrific torrent during the Las Conchas Wildfire last July. It was taken from 20 miles distant.
Add your comments below
|Dare to Ask: Do Native Americans have facial an... (Sep '09)||Nov 16||Vincent||121|
|espanola,nm small community corruption (Feb '15)||Oct '17||Esclavo we Jesus||2|
|Step by Step, How to rape a kid Based on what ... (Jul '12)||Oct '17||LosAlamosCitizen||6|
|Repeat offender arrested using new ALeRT system||Aug '17||the real truth||2|
|Dare I move to Los Alamos (Aug '12)||Jul '17||Pat||13|
|Bruce Thompson v. City of Albuquerque Ray Schul...||Jun '17||pugnose||1|
|Los Alamos Music Forum (Nov '12)||Mar '17||Musikologist||20|
Find what you want!
Search Los Alamos Forum Now
Copyright © 2017 Topix LLC