Largest fire in NM history might have...

Largest fire in NM history might have been averted [11:53 a.m.]

There are 2 comments on the Farmington Daily Times story from Jul 13, 2011, titled Largest fire in NM history might have been averted [11:53 a.m.]. In it, Farmington Daily Times reports that:

The state's largest wildfire might have been averted if the caretaker of a private ranch had been around the day a dead tree was blown onto a power line.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Farmington Daily Times.

Jonny

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Jul 13, 2011
While that may be true that the fire could have been averted, the government's policies to put out every fire and not doing enough thinning of the trees is what led to this catastrophe. I am in favor of a thinning project on a larger scale than previously allowed and a project whereby firebreaks are constructed in forest zones. With the advent of roads and more people in wilderness areas such as that destroyed by the Las Conchas fire, there needs to be more initiative taken to provide more frequent and larger firebreaks. Heck, I know I couldve used all of that firewood for many many years. Imagine how much useful timber was simply destroyed because we dont allow enough commercial and private logging. What a waste.
Average Joe

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jul 13, 2011
What a pointless article.

I am sure a caretaker, like any other person, will need to go to town from time to time. Let's not point fingers at the caretaker. He wasn't sitting there lighting matches.

Why don't reporters investigate the bigger issues (such as the one raised in Jonny's comment) rather than regurgitating an easy quote and making a headline that makes people "click?"

They could have at least gotten a corresponding quote from the caretaker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Alamos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Martinez prefers to stick to issues (Jun '10) 19 hr More 6,866
News The Latest: Supporters line up for Trump in Alb... May '16 wowed 4
Danny K Burns, The Finishing Touch May '16 Hope 5
News Bill Clinton to campaign in New Mexico for Hill... May '16 Another 26
unleashed dogs (Aug '15) May '16 LatroFrema 2
Wshington State Department of Non-Citations Mar '16 The Guy Who Posted 1
For Espanola, NM, And People Of THis Town (Nov '15) Jan '16 Food And 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Alamos Mortgages