3 arrested over towing

3 arrested over towing

There are 153 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Jun 26, 2008, titled 3 arrested over towing. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

Three people were arrested after Long Beach Police detectives witnessed illegal auto towing at a Long Beach shopping center on Thursday morning, authorities said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Since: May 08

Long Beach, CA

#1 Jun 26, 2008
I hope they goto jail.
Robert J G Jackson Sr

United States

#2 Jun 27, 2008
Cute. Use a tow truck to steal cars. Just pick one out. It will be interesting to find out what these people did with the cars which they stole. As with anyone arrested for a crime, these people should have their legal residence in the United States verified, and be reported to ICE for disposition if they are not here legally.
CONFUSED

Long Beach, CA

#3 Jun 27, 2008
Always follow the MONEY trail. The path this takes will provide insight to the motiviation animating this group. How many GTA's recently have ended in non-recovery of items towed and disposed by this ring or others?
Kelly M Bray

United States

#4 Jun 27, 2008
If any of the LBPD that post here read this, I have a question. I thought the law required that a car be parked for one hour before being towed from a private lot, barring immediate safety hazards or right of way blockage. What is the law?
Mark Torrance South

North Hollywood, CA

#7 Jun 27, 2008
The guys were white you idiot. WHITE!!
Robert J G Jackson Sr wrote:
Cute. Use a tow truck to steal cars. Just pick one out. It will be interesting to find out what these people did with the cars which they stole. As with anyone arrested for a crime, these people should have their legal residence in the United States verified, and be reported to ICE for disposition if they are not here legally.
Mark Torrance South

North Hollywood, CA

#8 Jun 27, 2008
well wait.
i guess they couldve been BLACK.
Wuzfuzz

Thousand Oaks, CA

#9 Jun 27, 2008
Kelly M Bray wrote:
If any of the LBPD that post here read this, I have a question. I thought the law required that a car be parked for one hour before being towed from a private lot, barring immediate safety hazards or right of way blockage. What is the law?
When you're dealing with parking situations on private property, as long as it's properly posted restricting or prohibiting parking (like no parking unless you're a customer) then there are no rules like one hour. The security guard, acting on behalf of the property owner, calls the tow truck, your car is towed and you pay hundreds to get it back.

These rip offs by tow truck companies have been going on for years. It's a very lucrative business for them. Most people just pay to get their cars out of impound and don't know who to complain to or don't have the time to do it. Google Mr. C's Towing and you can find many complaints and "F" ratings.

The security guard gets a kick back for every car he calls about, the tow truck driver gets a kick back and the tow company owner reaps thousands of dollars from storage fees, which you pay for every day that car is sitting in their lots. And if you don't pay to get it out, they lien sale it to wholesale dealers for their profit.

There are laws requiring tow companies to report the tow to police, but mostly the police don't have the laws to really fight these towaways, which really are auto thefts. Enactment of some city ordinances with some teeth and some hefty fines, loss of licenses, etc., could certainly help discourage this behavior, but who do you suppose gives alot of campaign money to politicians?

I'm very happy to see LBPD taking such an active role in this case. They are a frustrated as everyone else about the proliferation of these types of auto theft conspiracies. The tow truck companies don't want to deprive you of your car forever, they just want it for a few days while you pay them the blackmail money to get it back.

I hope LBPD and other police departments can find the time and resources to do more stings like this.
lbpd

Woodland Hills, CA

#10 Jun 27, 2008
big thing is tow companies "stacking" cars they towed from private lots. while the tow from the lot was legal, drivers would yank a bunch of cars from the lot and hide them near by. once all the cars are removed the drivers tow them to the tow yard and call the tow into the police. supposed to tow a car to the yard, call it in, then go get another (if any) car. I absolutley hate tow truck companies. I have spent hours trying to catch the stacking drivers-but it is hard to do.
Geez

Santa Ana, CA

#11 Jun 27, 2008
Mark Torrance South wrote:
The guys were white you idiot. WHITE!!
<quoted text>
That doesn't matter, you moron. White immigrants and be illegally here, and break the law too, fool.
Gilmore

Surfside, CA

#12 Jun 27, 2008
The towing company owner and the employees need to be followed, and when they park their personal cars at a mall or strip mall, impound them immediately. Kind of a reverse sting operation. Once they have to start paying some hefty impound fees themselves, then maybe they'll see how it feels. This would better than writing them a citation, as their cars could be impounded numerous times.
DESIREE LONG BEACH

Long Beach, CA

#13 Jun 27, 2008
WHERE DOES IT SAY THEY ARE HERE ILLEGALLY..i SEE NO RACE IN THE REPORT
Jack Ross

Irvine, CA

#14 Jun 27, 2008
Those bums should be doing hard time for being greedy at the expense and stress of inocent people. Score one for the Long Beach Police Department. As for Mr. C's towing I hope your business suffers enough that you rethink your hiring procedures. Frankly I'am sick of you low lifes. I think I will let people know how ehical you really are.
hello

Bell Gardens, CA

#15 Jun 27, 2008
they are white and with what desiree says it doesnt state that and all companies especially companies dealing with towing have to have legal people not people here illegally so dont start making this a racial issue when you dont know who they are
PDtowman

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jun 27, 2008
All u ppl on here are idiots, what these guys are doing is providing a service to the property owner, property management, or the security on the property to remove cars that don't belong on the property. Drivers do not recive a kickback on the cars that they tow and, they are just tring to make a honest living like u and me. Whether u like it or not tow truck drivers arn't all corrupt and theifs as most ppl like to belive. The tow companu can't not be responsible for the bad judgement of a security guard that may or may not fully understand the law
thetruth

Pasadena, CA

#17 Jun 27, 2008
Gilmore wrote:
The towing company owner and the employees need to be followed, and when they park their personal cars at a mall or strip mall, impound them immediately. Kind of a reverse sting operation. Once they have to start paying some hefty impound fees themselves, then maybe they'll see how it feels. This would better than writing them a citation, as their cars could be impounded numerous times.
I agree. Unfortunately officers are tasked to conduct other operations that are classified, "more important," like juvenile curfew, red curb parking on the peninsula, j-walking in the shore, littering and kissing the butts of the rich and ignoring the needs of the middle class and lower income residents. The people who truly make Long Beach the great city it is.
jls

Torrance, CA

#19 Jun 27, 2008
MR C'S has always been a crooked operation. They have praticed preditory towing for many many years. I have witnesed it and also been on the business end of the stick. The city should not let them opperate in long beach. I have seen them many times tow cars away that have just been parked legaly. They are glorified car thiefs!!!!!!

Since: Jun 08

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Jun 27, 2008
PDtowman wrote:
All u ppl on here are idiots, what these guys are doing is providing a service to the property owner, property management, or the security on the property to remove cars that don't belong on the property. Drivers do not recive a kickback on the cars that they tow and, they are just tring to make a honest living like u and me. Whether u like it or not tow truck drivers arn't all corrupt and theifs as most ppl like to belive. The tow companu can't not be responsible for the bad judgement of a security guard that may or may not fully understand the law
Obviously a Mr. C's employee. People that steal cars, rob houses ect. all say they make an honest living. Hey, how much did you get kicked back for writing that?
thetruth

Pasadena, CA

#21 Jun 27, 2008
PDtowman wrote:
First, all the people here aren't idiots. That's like saying all tow drivers are criminals. I agree that most tow drivers aren't corrupt. I deal with them all the time. But, I have also dealt with the illegal, corrupt, dishonest drivers as well, who work with property security guards to make money. Sometimes the tow company and security company are related. I've had situations where both companies, tow and security, were owned or run by family members.
The Point Is

United States

#22 Jun 27, 2008
Tow Truck drivers get paid by the hour like the rest of us honest blue collar workers, they don't get a hand me out for the tows they do... they actually should get paid more for some of the B*S they get from the people who's car is getting towed !(I should know I am dating one) and boy does he have some stories!
They are just doing their jobs. Of course someone is going to bash the guy who took their car... but it doesn't make the Towing Company in the wrong.
Do you know it is the LAW for tow truck drivers to get a SIGNATURE of the person calling for the car to be towed in the first place ???? All the Tow Co is doing is answering the call, And to the post that says Mr. C's has an "F" in customer satisfaction.... I have never dealt with this actual tow co before, but lets find ANY tow company that people are going to be raving about great service after paying hundreds of dollars to get their illegally parked car out !!!
Security Gurad & Tow Truck Drivers aside how about not parking where you don't belong in the first place ???
Now There's is a bright idea !!!!!
mrguapo

Lexington, KY

#23 Jun 27, 2008
The FBI should be called . They might be terrorists or serial killers. Call protective services. They might be child molesters. Call the prison. They may be escapees.What a bunch of crap. You usually write a good letter, jackson, but this time your sheet is showing.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Alamitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 2 hr lmsa dad 9,136
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Dave spano 21,017
News Beer, wine, eats a " your taste buds are in for... 23 hr Ronald 2
Anyone remember "Seal Beach James" ? (May '08) Wed LBGuy65 57
Doc Tue Poc 1
Little Girl Waves Thong at Mexican Rally Tue Kyjo 3
News Fed Balance-Sheet Plan Missing Key Detail Tied ... Tue Ronald 1

Los Alamitos Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Los Alamitos Mortgages