Man who tackled F&M robber sues bank

Man who tackled F&M robber sues bank

There are 179 comments on the Long Beach Press-Telegram story from Mar 18, 2010, titled Man who tackled F&M robber sues bank. In it, Long Beach Press-Telegram reports that:

The man lauded by most as a hero for wrestling an armed bank robber to the ground, and getting shot in the process, has filed a lawsuit against Farmers & Merchants Bank citing a lack of security.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Long Beach Press-Telegram.

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Boooo

Long Beach, CA

#1 Mar 18, 2010
What a loser! He was no hero just a supid loser.
Croak

Los Gatos, CA

#2 Mar 18, 2010
F&M offered to pay his medical bills and take him to lunch.

A propos the Melody Ross situation, shouldn't he be suing the bank robber?

Ask Mr. Dubin about Prop 51 and what it means for this lawsuit.
Brian Mcnamee

Long Beach, CA

#3 Mar 18, 2010
if i had an account there I would withdraw it, this guy stopped a serial robber; 100 g's would of sent him away happy and been good pr for the bank. We are such pussies that when a guy actually does something heroic he is penalized; if he has slipped on some spilt coffee they would of paid him off, what a joke!
Cali

Long Beach, CA

#4 Mar 18, 2010
It appears that Mr. Camp jumped the gun. He seems to believe that issues of rewards and such are given immediately. Instead of waiting for the red tape to be done and all he decides to sue. I find it hard to believe that he is "crippled" for life. If he had gone to the luncheon he might have found that the bank was open to rewarding him for his actions. Now he simply looks like another person who wants money. The security issue aside he made the decision to take down the robber and he was lauded for that. It was his choice and certainly given the situation perfectly understandable. He should have worked harder to be sure what the bank intended to do in the long run for him rather than deciding to give up and sue.
Good Luck

Glendale, CA

#5 Mar 18, 2010
I'm surprised the bank didn't offer to pay his medical expenses or cover a leave of absence due to his injuries.
JOKE

Long Beach, CA

#6 Mar 18, 2010
He must be related to Melody Ross family.
Joe M

Silverado, CA

#7 Mar 18, 2010
So.. this guy is lauded as a hero? My question is... Would anybody have been injured or shot if this man had NOT tried playing super hero? The bank money is insured and the police would enetually have caught him. Seems to me this HERO is just setting himself up to be sued for jeopardizing the safety of the banks customers and staff. Good luck with that Rich.....
oh boy

United States

#8 Mar 18, 2010
Sounds like there's a communication gap going on. The Walker's are not hard to reach, at all. Camp's lawyer might be getting him all charged up. Perhaps preying on his fear. I'd wait and see how it unfolds before picking on either side. The Walker's are, and have always been a class act.

I'd HATE to see ghetto windows going up at their banks. That's one of the qualities of that bank that makes it OUR bank. The fact that Camp's lawyer is pushing that is VERY annoying.

NOTE TO CAMP: Go to lunch with the Walkers, don't bring your attorney. You're paying that man to create problems. The longer he's involved, the more money he makes. Not a good element to have in the problem-solving process, now is it? Just skip the attorney angle for now, no matter what your attorney tells you, and go have lunch the Walkers.
hmmm

San Pedro, CA

#10 Mar 18, 2010
Yeah, I agree wtih Cali. He lawyewred up too soon. Now he just seems money hungry. Honestly if it were me I wouldn't be asking for money. I think it is right to sue for the banks negligence in not providing adequate security but I would not sue for my own personal benefit. It would be for all who were there that day and were in danger.
Robert J G Jackson Sr

Artesia, CA

#11 Mar 18, 2010
A year of surgery? Disabled for life? From a gunshot in the leg? And just how much is this hotshot Irnine lawyer asking for in compensation? Mr. Camp is a true hero for capturing the robber, no doubt about it, but surely he could have worked with Mr. Walker, starting by attending the suggested lunch with bank executives to talk to them, in order to cover his medical expenses. Considering Camp was operating his construction business out of his home, it couldn't have been all that successful, especially in this economy. This is one more example of someone in our litigeous society immediately running for a lawyer, looking for a payday. If something bad happens to you, there simply must be someone around with a checkbook fat enough for you to sue. I'm very disappointed in Mr. Camp and how he has handled this situation after the fact.
Hope he wins

Long Beach, CA

#12 Mar 18, 2010
In my opinion, Mr. Camp is a hero and I hope he gets something in his lawsuit. I also do not see how having bullet-proof windows in the bank would make it a ghetto bank. I think he has a valid point that the bank does not protect their employees even though they profess to do so. It makes me feel safer when I enter a business with protective windows like that, i.e. the DMV, the post office, as I believe that it is less likely to be targeted by a robber. I hope F&M will consider installing protection at all their banks to make it less likely an incident like this will happen in the future.
As far as the security guard, I'm sure the robber scoped out the bank ahead of time and probably determined the guard was unarmed and waited for a moment when the guard was not at the door. That particular guard has always looked carefully at me when I've entered the bank and that's why I was surprised he didn't notice this odd-looking bank robber--so now I know why. The bank should have a minimum of 2 guards on duty at a time--doesn't the guard have to eat lunch and take restroom breaks??
Anyway, in my opinion, Mr. Camp did not jump the robber because of money, he jumped the guy because he had been threatened and he also realized it was his last chance before the robber jumped over the teller booth. Money is obviously a factor in this for the bank as Mr. Camp's actions obviously saved them from losing any. He also helped the police department in finally capturing this robber. I can't believe he would not get some kind of reward from someone--even though he certainly did not think of this when he made the split-second decision to act. The bank or someone should have immediately offered him some help with his situation at the least, in my opinion. I don't think offering a reward would encourage others to act during a bank robbery. I do not think there are many people who would risk their lives just for money.
I hope he wins something for his actions--good luck Mr. Camp.
get real

United States

#13 Mar 18, 2010
This is a great example of why banks would prefer customers to not immediately self-hire themselves as a security guard, and confronting a bank robber. The guy would have made off with a few thousand. That's a lot cheaper than dealing with this. What if Camp had been shot and killed? A daughter with no father. Just to save the bank a few thousand dollars that he's suing them for now anyway.
The bank did not have a sign up saying "please intervene if a bank robbery occurs." Plus, it's a bank, not a lock-down prison facility. Bank robberies happen with plenty of guards present, and bullet-proof glass dividers galore. Remember the bank robbery in LA with those gunmen with AK-47's? Assorted squads of police and a SWAT team couldn't stop them before they shot up the bank, and the entire neighborhood.
As long as we have banks, we will have bank robberies. Camp made the personal decision to confront an armed man.
The bank not only didn't ask him to do it, they don't WANT him to do it. Think about that, Mr. Camp. Sometimes you make silly decisions, and you pay for it.
BE A MAN!!
Alex

Long Beach, CA

#14 Mar 18, 2010
When the story first came out, like many people I thought, wow a real hometown hero. I feel like I'm the one who jumped the gun in my judgement of Mr. Camp. A little time passes and his true colors come out. A real hero doesn't do what they do for the money. They do it because it's the right thing to do. Mr. Camp is just a money grubbing loser. A real schmuck!

Boooooooooooooooo to you Mr. Camp. LOSER!!!!!!!
mee

United States

#15 Mar 18, 2010
It's unfortunate he was shot, it would be nice if more people would step up and beat down the scum who want to harm other people. But to sue the bank for his own decision to take down the robber and get shot. well shoot people should start suing the police department, the city, and the state every time they are hurt by this type of scum, because there's was not enough police on the streets to protect them.
this guy is no hero. hero's do not expect anything in return for doing what is right. The bank should sue him! the bank robber could of shot someone by mistake while being taken down by this so called hero. hero? what a joke.
LB Resident

United States

#16 Mar 18, 2010
What a jerk! Im continually amazed by people who sue companies! Real "hero" he is! Next time, just let the guy take the money you tool!
Anon

Van Nuys, CA

#18 Mar 18, 2010
From a "Hero" to a "Zero". Welcome to the Melody Ross Family. Sue the bank robber next time, I D I O T.
LB Resident

United States

#19 Mar 18, 2010
Joe M wrote:
So.. this guy is lauded as a hero? My question is... Would anybody have been injured or shot if this man had NOT tried playing super hero? The bank money is insured and the police would enetually have caught him. Seems to me this HERO is just setting himself up to be sued for jeopardizing the safety of the banks customers and staff. Good luck with that Rich.....
You are so right on Joe! Agree 100%!
Hope he wins

Long Beach, CA

#20 Mar 18, 2010
In regards to my statement above, I must say that I do not know whether the security guard is armed or not.
Oh Please

United States

#21 Mar 18, 2010
How is this guy not entitled to the rewards from the previous bank robberies? There is always a reward offered for information leading to the arrest and capture of federal fugitives. There should be seven rewards available to this guy. He not only provided information, he handed the guy to them. If he had gotten away, more bank employees and more customers would be at risk today.
Sue Camp

United States

#22 Mar 18, 2010
LB Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right on Joe! Agree 100%!
The lady who was shot should sue Mr. Camp for agitating the bank robber into firing his gun, take the proceeds and hand it back to F&M bank.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Alamitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Smiley 21,533
News 'Undocumented' but inspiring (Nov '12) 4 hr ONLYONETERM 166
to peaceful (Jun '11) 12 hr Pvndks squirrel 5
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 13 hr Davis 11,198
people in military bases in France in the sixties (Mar '07) 17 hr John Beard 3,793
News 1 dead, 2 injured in Norwalk shooting Mon FuckWhiteTrash 2
Art Fest 2018 Mon Maya 1

Los Alamitos Jobs

Personal Finance

Los Alamitos Mortgages