Norman Gardner

Bronx, NY

#2429 Dec 23, 2012
joe melvin wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, robert i have been there. from oct. 1960 to feb. 1963 i was in the 581st engr. f.m. we were attached to the 574th for training and rations. i knew some in the 574th. i replied once before to your post, but i guess you missed it.
Hi Joe,
Did you know any of the guys from Hq company, and if so, Who?
joe melvin

Laughlin, NV

#2430 Dec 23, 2012
Norman Gardner wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Joe,
Did you know any of the guys from Hq company, and if so, Who?
towards the end of 1962 some of our guys transfer there they would be the only ones i knew. s/sgt duvall, sp/4 russell, sp/4 slaughter, sp/4 marshburn, there may of been more but it's been 50 years. i spent 3 christmas's in france, merry christmas to everybody that was there.
charlieblute

Beverly, MA

#2431 Dec 24, 2012
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you vets and family that were stationed or lived in France during the 60's. It's been a great year, and there have been lots of good memories from the days of my youth in France, especially in St.Jean, Royan, Fontenet, La Rocehelle, Busac, Saintes, Bordeaux, and the rest of Charante Maritime. For reference, I was with the 83rd Engineer Battalion H & S Company, and the USAG on Fontenet for over 2 years. Check out our website, you might see someone you know, go to www.apo259fontenetfrance.wetpaint.com .
John Beard

Raleigh, NC

#2432 Dec 24, 2012
I wish to send a Merry Christmas [and belated Happy Hanukkah] to all members of this Topix. Although I did not serve in France in the '60s [I was there in the mid '50s], and was not part of the ComZ [stationed at Camp des Loges with Hqs EUCOM], joining this group has enabled me to recapture some of the forgotten memories of my service and enjoy vicariously those of others, as well as reconnect with some of my "lost" surviving campmates and meet new ones. I actually read all of the Topix postings from March, 2007 to date--Time is plenty when you're retired.

Best wishes to all for a Happy and Prosperous New Year!
Scotty Bennett

Jefferson, GA

#2433 Dec 24, 2012
I want to Wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a wonderful Happy New Year! I was station at La Braconne with Co."D",83rd Engr Bn (The Best Damn Engneers in the World) from Oct 1960 to Sep 1962. Also was at Bussac from JUl 1960 to Oct 1960 with Hq Co. working in POL section.
Ted Gabor

Warrenton, VA

#2434 Dec 25, 2012
I wish everyone a very merry Christmas and many more happy New Years. It's been 50 years since those great days in Paris and I am thankfull for the memories and the friendships that continue. Good health wishes to everyone.
Ray Mills

Trenton, NJ

#2435 Dec 25, 2012
Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year to all who served in the defense of our great nation in the 50's & 60's in the European theater. Please keep up the good work with this site, it is a great place to reminisce about our younger days and keep track of our old friends. I was AF stationed at Toul Rosieres AB from 64-66.
Earl Hibbs

Rowlett, TX

#2436 Dec 26, 2012
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!!

Earl Hibbs
599th APU, Poitiers, Ingrandes, St. Nazaire

April 1964 - October 1966
PatEUCOM

Nicholasville, KY

#2437 Dec 26, 2012
HAPPY NEW YEAR..BON ANNEE to all those stationed in France so long ago.A great bunch of folks!

PATRICIA WATSON Headquarters EUCOM Camp des Loges France.1956-1958.
Bill Ferris

Bangor, ME

#2438 Dec 27, 2012
George Fossett wrote:
I was stationed with Det.1, 67th MP Co at Caserne Lariboisiere in Fontainebleau from 1963-1964. I met/married Nancy Genet, who worked at Special Services. Loved France!
Hello George, it's been awhile since I was on this site. Saw your note. We must have been at the Caserne at the same time as I was with HQs & HQs Co, from Nov `1962 to Oct 1964. Do you remember an MP by the last name of Allen? He was in a lot of trouble & got bad conduct discharge. I had to guard him before his CM. Bill Ferris, Bucksport, Maine
Tom Guinee NJ

Roselle Park, NJ

#2439 Dec 29, 2012
I served with the 269th signal Co from March 1963 until December 1964.As an 841.10 SP4 I took hundreds of ID photos of dependent's,LWR's and military. My work station was just inside and to the left of the main gate at Coligny Caserne in Orleans. After I was promoted to Sgt E-5 and with a changed MOS 845, I ran the Film & Equipment Exchange at Maison Fort in Olivet.
Our Barracks moved from Harbord Barracks to Bel Air then back again to Harbord.
I have many memories of my time spent in the Orleans area and have been back there many times with my French wife Francoise and my children.
I would love to hook up with anyone from the 269th or any ex LWR employees from that era.
I can respond in english ou en francais comme vous voulez.
Paul aka Stutz Arndt

Mission Viejo, CA

#2440 Dec 29, 2012
My father was stationed at SHAPE Headquarters in Fontainbleau from 1958-1962. I was 8-12 years old when we lived there. My older brother, Bill was three years older than me. My younger brother, Michael was in pre-school in those days. It is the longest that I lived anywhere util I was an adult as my father was in the service and we usually moved a lot. I attended the International School in Fonatinbleau where the language of instruction was French and the US School at Caserne Fontainebleau. We lived in the NATO housing at the edge of town. We lived at 8 Rue De Etats Unis. We lived in an apartment on the 7th floor (8th US). I had a paper/baquette/crossant/wine route delivering all that stuff to people in the four NATO apartment buildings in the morning and afternoon. I have worked in international business for virtually all of my career and have gone back to Fontainebleau several times. Speaking French has been a great career enhancer! I had a job where I was responsible for Europe for 12 years going all over the place. Later, I worked for a French company for five years with a part-time office in Massy-Palaiseau. The old Fontainebleau NATO apartment buildings are abandoned and squatters live in them. I would really like to get in touch with anyone else who was there at that time. Those were the best years of my youth. From the International School, I had a lot of Dutch, Norwegian, British, Canadian and French friends as well as the friends from the US shool. I remember that place like it was yesterday. Both of my parents are still alive and their retirement home is decorated inside like a nice French house.
Paul aka Stutz Arndt

Mission Viejo, CA

#2441 Dec 29, 2012
Nancy wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived in the same apartments. I remember the slaughter house. I think that I also remember the name Becky Bandy. I went to the American School there. Mrs. Bednarski was one of my teachers. Ithink Mrs. McAllister was also a teacher.
I lived in the NATO housing on Rue des Etats Unis. The other three streets for the NATO apartments were Rue de Grand-Britagne, Rue du Canada and Rue de Belgique. I also remember the slaughter house across the street. They would string up the intestines of the slaughtered animals to dry them out for sausage casings. My friends and I loved romping through those woods. I went to both the US school on the Caserne and to the International School right next to the NATO apartments. I remember the US school principal, Mr. Paul LeBrun. A teacher that I liked a lot was Miss Peliggi. A really wierd teacher was a Mr. Clark. I don't remember the names of my International School teacher's names but the cirriculum was 10 times harder than the US school. Much more advanced math, science, languages, etc. I played Little League there on the Caserne team. We used to go to the other US bases in France. Loved those days!!
christiane

Claix, France

#2442 Dec 30, 2012
MARTINE : j'aimerai vous poser une questionsi cela vous dérange pas!!!!!
bonne fête de fin d'année

li-tchoun@orange.fr
James MERIOCHAUD

Villeurbanne, France

#2443 Jan 1, 2013
Bonjour AMERICA !

I'm whising you a healthy, happy, peaceful "NEW YEAR 2013"

Sincerly yours, James
Bill ferris

Livermore Falls, ME

#2444 Jan 2, 2013
Butch Wester wrote:
<quoted text>
Interestingly (or not), it was the Upshur that I traveled on in November 1963. Everyone on that boat was sick except for a couple of Mexican guys who'd never even seen the ocean. Putting together a crew for kitchen duty was a real problem. I saw a Major working there carrying a big pot of some sort of chili or stew. He took a few steps, set the pot down, and threw up on the floor. That's how bad it was. We would mostly grab apples, grapes, oranges or bananas, and that's what I lived on (barely) for 11 days. I heard the Upshur was sunk shortly after that. Don't know for sure, but it was a fitting end to a miserable ship as far as I was concerned.
The Upshur did not sink. It ended up as The SS State of Maine at Maine Maritime Academy, Castine ,Maine as a training ship. It has since been retired, mostly scraped. I came home on the Upshur in Oct 1964. Took 8 days. I never got seasick once. Bill Ferris, Bucksport, Maine
Norman Gardner

Bronx, NY

#2445 Jan 3, 2013
Bill ferris wrote:
<quoted text>The Upshur did not sink. It ended up as The SS State of Maine at Maine Maritime Academy, Castine ,Maine as a training ship. It has since been retired, mostly scraped. I came home on the Upshur in Oct 1964. Took 8 days. I never got seasick once. Bill Ferris, Bucksport, Maine
You were lucky. I thought I was going to puke my guts out, tavelling to Germany on that ship. Maybe they was trying to show us soldiers how to withstand torture.
AJTobias

Hackensack, NJ

#2446 Jan 3, 2013
When I was 4, in 1957, my mother and grandmother and I visited my uncle and his family in military housing somewhere around Paris, France. It was in late October as we went trick-or-treating. My uncle later moved to El Paso, so there must have been some connection as so many have commented that their families were stationed there.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#2447 Jan 4, 2013
Bill ferris wrote:
<quoted text>The Upshur did not sink. It ended up as The SS State of Maine at Maine Maritime Academy, Castine ,Maine as a training ship. It has since been retired, mostly scraped. I came home on the Upshur in Oct 1964. Took 8 days. I never got seasick once. Bill Ferris, Bucksport, Maine
If ever there was a ship that deserved to be sunk, it was that one, given my experiences on it. Thanks for the info.
Paul Anderson

United States

#2448 Jan 5, 2013
Tom Johnson wrote:
Richard,
I sent you a special Invite to Caserne Aboville. I hope you will join. I was with the 202nd MP Co, Det 3 at Poitiers. We have 38 Members, from different MOS, as well as Poitiers High School students. We have lots of photographs on the Group also.
Tom Johnson
fadingshadows@juno.com
i was in the 202 MP co. Poitiers 1962-1963

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Alamitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 11 min LM Dad 5,250
Long Beach City Council approves renaming park ... 1 hr Ronald 3
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 9 hr Jim Jones 19,549
what is canta ranas or CR? (Sep '09) 18 hr AvPSGRX13 77
La Mirada Boosters In trouble under Moschetti 21 hr LM parent 18
Adopt-a-family for Christmas (Dec '08) Tue Gramma 50
The Cicret Bracelet: Like a tablet...but on you... Tue Joan 1

Flash Flood Watch for Orange County was issued at December 17 at 9:43AM PST

Los Alamitos News Video

Los Alamitos Dating
Find my Match

Los Alamitos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Los Alamitos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Los Alamitos