Stuart Ho

Honolulu, HI

#2389 Nov 25, 2012
Bruce Richards wrote:
I am working on the History of the 77th Transportation Company. It was located in Bordeaux
and Bussac from 1950-1955. In 1955 it moved to Rochefort, outside of La Rochelle.
I am looking for any information about it while it was in Bordeaux/Bussac, and any pictures.
Bruce
wd4ngb@charter.net
Bruce: I'm Stuart Ho of Honolulu. I was a platoon leader in the 77th, arriving fresh out of Eustis around April 1958, until I was transferred in July to the 583rd Lt Trk Co in Bussac, there to be shipped to Lebanon with Task Force 201. At the time the 77th was based at Laleu Caserne near La Pallice, under the command of Capt. Vaughn G. Gilbert. It was part of the 106th Trans Bn at Croix Chapeau. When I returned from Lebanon in August I was again transferred to Orleans to become adjutant of the 28th Trans Bn, newly arrived from Mannheim.(The army was really short of officers in those days, and I did all this as a second lieutenant.)
Stuart Ho

Honolulu, HI

#2390 Nov 26, 2012
Ann wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know where I can find a birth certificate for American children whose parent was station at Camp Captieux in 1958?
I was based in La Rochelle with the 77th Trans Co (Lt Trk), and I recall the name Captieux. If it was in the Basec area, i.e., southwestern France, then you might try the U.S. Consulate in Bordeaux. Stuart Ho
Stuart Ho

Honolulu, HI

#2391 Nov 26, 2012
Emory wrote:
<quoted text>David email me at emory1943@aol.com
David: I was S-1 of the 28th Trans Bn between late 1958 and 1960. I was only a 2LT, but the army was short-handed in those days. Help me out with an answer: I can't remember where the 28th headquarters building was. I don't think it was at Maison Fort or at Harbord Barracks, but somewhere in between. Am I right? Stuart Ho
Charles A Williams

Cape Coral, FL

#2392 Nov 27, 2012
DAVID wrote:
I was ststioned in Maison Fort,76Th transportation
company ( Medium Truck)(CARGO ) APO US FORCES,,From 1961 to 1963.I'm 73yrs old now.I have many memories from that era.
(Maison Fort ) is not there any more.All wooded
area.Harbor Barrack is still there.I was there 2yrs ago.The (Cocern)if thats the way it's spelled,
is still there.THE BUILDINGS that is.
My CO was James D.Howard 1st TC commanding.
ANY ONE OUT THERE !!,,, BEEN THERE ?.
I made sargeant in Germany.I re-uped in Poitier
and was shipped to the U.S.From fort lewis to Germany..I went back to France to visit the old
Maison Fort COMMPANY co.Was he surprised when I showed UP with MY
french wife that he would'nt approve with papers.
BUT ALL IS NEW IN FRANCE NOW.TEARFULLY YOURS
Sgt DC Montoya.Ra all the way.Even at my age.OLD
SOLDIERS NEVER DIE.THEY JUST FADE AWAY.....
Hi David. I am Charles. I was stationed at Mason Fort in the 76 Transportation Co., S&P. From 1958-1960. My last CO was Capt Kostner.@ years late, but glad to see a posting from someone who was there.

Since: Nov 12

Murray, KY

#2393 Nov 27, 2012
I was at Maison fort from 1962 to 1964, would like to hear from anyone that was there at that time. I was in 2nd platoon 76th truck co. Sgt brown was my platoon sgt.
Charles A Williams

Cape Coral, FL

#2394 Nov 27, 2012
Hello. I was also stationed at Mason Fort in the 76 Transportation Company S&P. I was station there from 1958-1960. I am 77 years old. My last CO. was Capt. Kostner. I am 2 years late, but glad to read a post from someone who was there.
denise

Albertville, AL

#2395 Dec 2, 2012
My father was in the Army and was stationed in Toul in the mid 60s. After waiting for housing 11 months we finally got a house in an American housing area near Nancy. I attended 3rd grade in Jean de Arc hospital/school. I only lived in this housing area for 4 months before my father got orders to go to Germany, part of de Gaulle’s pull out of NATO. About the only thing I remember is that it was on a hill near Nancy, the bus from Nancy went through a small village to get to the it and that there was not much to the housing area except the dependent housing. We lived there in the winter time and we played in the snow and the house was cold. I also remember going to school which seemed like quite a distance and seeing “Yankee go home” signs. With both parent dead, I have wondered for years what the name of this housing area was. I know it was not Regina Village as all of the houses were one level. There were woods behind our house and you could explore in the woods and find relics from WWII .I have tried to google earth it to find it with no luck. If anyone has any knowledge of what this housing area was called please email bitbrit@yahoo.com.
Steve

Forney, TX

#2396 Dec 2, 2012
denise wrote:
My father was in the Army and was stationed in Toul in the mid 60s. After waiting for housing 11 months we finally got a house in an American housing area near Nancy. I attended 3rd grade in Jean de Arc hospital/school. I only lived in this housing area for 4 months before my father got orders to go to Germany, part of de Gaulle’s pull out of NATO. About the only thing I remember is that it was on a hill near Nancy, the bus from Nancy went through a small village to get to the it and that there was not much to the housing area except the dependent housing. We lived there in the winter time and we played in the snow and the house was cold. I also remember going to school which seemed like quite a distance and seeing “Yankee go home” signs. With both parent dead, I have wondered for years what the name of this housing area was. I know it was not Regina Village as all of the houses were one level. There were woods behind our house and you could explore in the woods and find relics from WWII .I have tried to google earth it to find it with no luck. If anyone has any knowledge of what this housing area was called please email bitbrit@yahoo.com.
Denise,I sent you an email.My story is almost a mirror image of yours.What years were you guys there?
Ray Mills

Trenton, NJ

#2397 Dec 2, 2012
denise wrote:
I think the name of the villiage where you lived was called Toulair housing. We were there in 1964-66 at Toul Rosieres AB. There is a good website you amy be interested in.
trab.packwebs.net/ copy and paste into your browser or google
A moment in time
Don Harrison

Dalhart, TX

#2398 Dec 5, 2012
I was there 1961-june 1662 I had good friends Frank Schultz and Jim Knopp was able to locate Jim but never found Frank did you know them.
bruno jaffre

Nice, France

#2399 Dec 5, 2012
Martine Dernoncourt wrote:
<quoted text>
Bonjour,
La présence américaine s'est terminée en 1964 (fin mars). Pas de nouvelles après, plutôt avant. Vous trouverez mon courriel sur ce site en regardant en arrière.J'attends cette fin de semaine un Américain dont le père travaillait caserne Aufrédi à La Rochelle et habitait avec sa famille dans une des deux cités américaines très proches de La Rochelle. A bientôt. Martine
Chère Martine,
Avez-vous des nouvelles pour moi. Ma question portait sur le camp d'Hennebont et le staff sergeant Ralph Miller. Merci de votre réponse.
bien à vous - Bruno jaffré
joe melvin

Laughlin, NV

#2400 Dec 6, 2012
Robert Ballester wrote:
Any one out there who was at Bussc 1961 to 1964 with 574th ord Bobby Ballester
i was there oct. 1960-feb. 1963 i was in the 1st plattoon 581st engr. we were attached to the 574th for rations and training. i knew some of the guys in the 574th. you can e-mail me at jdm70jdm@gmail.com
Gil Wortsmann

Douglassville, PA

#2401 Dec 6, 2012
I was based in Rochefort as a wheeled vehicle mechanic (1952) with the 460 transport company...a DUCW outfit.

However, two of us volunteered to take over a crash boat on the shore of Bassens. The other fellow was the captain of the "boat," and I was the diesel engineer for it. First time I handled a diesel.

There was no camp, just a tent for the few of us. And as I recall, there was a barber shop and a bar right next to us....nothing else. At night and time off we would take the bus into Bordeaux.

Otherwise, aside from being a mechanic, I volunteered to drive a bus bewtween Rocheforte and La Rochelle (A German sub pen.) If you saw the movie: DAS BOOT, you will see where the German submarines were "parked." The roofs of the pen were so thick that allied bombs could not penetrate them.

At Bassens, the freighters from all over the world would feed us and permit us to take showers aboard ship.

I preferred Bordeaux over Paris....but, then, it was the peace-time army (if you were not in Korea.)

I belive that the other fellow's name was ....Carlson.

Gil Wortsmann
sensay@ptd.net

Gil Wortsmann

Douglassville, PA

#2402 Dec 6, 2012
correction, second line above.. That should be DUKW, and not DUCW.

Gil

Since: Nov 12

Murray, KY

#2403 Dec 6, 2012
Hey Charles, nice to hear from someone that was at mason fort, even if was not the same time I was there. Can't think of many name of the guys that was in the truck co. the same time I was. I was hopeing some of them would show up on here. Would like to see the old fort once more. Thanks for your mail.
ERIC-JOHN GUINT

France

#2404 Dec 7, 2012
Ann Picheloup Ray wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello Terry,
Yes, that was my father. He retired from the Army in 1970 and we moved back overseas after that and he has never come back and died there in 1995. He was happy living near Shape so he could use his benefits, and was still not too far from France. We went back to Fountainebleau a few time and it was still the same. Is still the same today. So you must have been one of our bus drivers back then, we were all a mess weren't we. I know we were always sneaking off to lots of places, like Johnny's Bar among many. Maybe you knew my brother Michel as he gratuated in 66 and worked in the class 6 store until we moved back to the states.
My father worked in the Drivers Testing office for years, so were you in there with him?
I had a big crush on a GI named Jim Gill. and at that time I was in big puppy love. Did you know him?
Thanks so much for hte reply and keep in touch.
Ann
I have just connected wiht another frined from my Jounior HIgh days and she also remembers all the fun we had. I also remember we used to hang around a lot of GI's, were you one of them?
Hello ANN and TERRY

I was born in 1963 in Fontainebleau
My father was JOHN R.G. GUINT he was soldier in Fontainebleau for the SHAPE in 1955-58 then in camp LARIBOISIERE till 1967
ANN I think that your father is my sister's godfather
My sister is Veronique borned in 1957 we was living Rue de France
I still had a lot of pictures regarding this period including one of your father in Santa Claus costum for Christmas party
Best regards to all of you
Veronique mary Guint

France

#2405 Dec 7, 2012
Hi I m the daugther of John R G Guint who was based at Fontainebleau . My mother, Annie, was french . We was living "rue de France" .my father is dead in august 2011. My brother Eric John and me , we are living in Burgundy near our mother. Do you remember our father? I wish you a merry Christmas and all the best for 2013. Veronique
Howard Collins

Las Vegas, NV

#2406 Dec 7, 2012
Veronique, I remember your dad John Guint very well. Sorry to hear of his passing. I was the chief clerk of the finance office at Caserne Lariboisiere, Fontainebleau from Oct 1964 - Nov 1966. John would stop by and say hello, I enjoyed talking with him. Merry Christmas to you all.
Veronique mary Guint

France

#2407 Dec 7, 2012
Thank you so much for your message - if you x
Will come in France sens me a message you will be welcome take care veronique veronique.guint@wanadoo.fr
Stuart Ho

Honolulu, HI

#2408 Dec 7, 2012
Charles A Williams wrote:
Hello. I was also stationed at Mason Fort in the 76 Transportation Company S&P. I was station there from 1958-1960. I am 77 years old. My last CO. was Capt. Kostner. I am 2 years late, but glad to read a post from someone who was there.
Charles: I'm also 77, and was adjutant of the 28th Trans Bn between the fall of 1958, when the HHD came down from Mannheim, until my discharge in 1960. Do you recall where the battalion HQ building was? My memory is bad, but I seem to recall that it wasn't at Maison Fort, but neither was it at Harbord Barracks. Perhaps somewhere in between. Capt. Kostner's name sounds familiar. In my time, I remember Capt. Burns Perfect had one TC company at Maison Fort, and there was a Capt. Carr who had the other company, but Carr may have transferred out. I recall the first battalion commander when the 28th moved to Orleans was LTC Dan K. Dukes, Jr., who had been on the 37th THTC staff, and then went to Beirut with TF 201 in July 1958. I now live in Honolulu. Stuart Ho

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Los Alamitos Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
LMSA Soccer (Feb '10) 40 min DAVIS 5,280
La Mirada City Council election 14 hr Rosas 2
Kevin Dillman a bust.... 18 hr LM parent too 2
La Mirada Boosters In trouble under Moschetti 18 hr LM parent too 21
Adopt-a-family for Christmas (Dec '08) Wed Viewer 52
Gang member gets 40 to life for shooting father... (Apr '10) Wed VARRIO CROW VILLAGE 143
Long Beach City Council approves renaming park ... Wed Ronald 3

Los Alamitos News Video

Los Alamitos Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Los Alamitos People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Los Alamitos News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Los Alamitos

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News